Author Topic: One Thing I Miss  (Read 19923 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: One Thing I Miss
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 02:25:09 PM »
VV have you tried a new Verizon MiFi unit? With a simple Yagi antenna and a MiFi you can get some amazing results. I also live in the backend of Nowhereville and I now can connect with extremely fast speeds. 4G is amazing.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 10:26:51 PM »
I miss so much about Paragon City, but the one thing is definitely Flight.

I still remember getting Hover on Lightslinger, then Flight at 14. That was freaking magical. The biggest overall thing about CoH I miss the casual with depth nature of the game.

Stay casual with SO and easy teaming, fantastic. Or delve into IOs and Task Forces as deep as you want.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:31:51 AM »
VV have you tried a new Verizon MiFi unit? With a simple Yagi antenna and a MiFi you can get some amazing results. I also live in the backend of Nowhereville and I now can connect with extremely fast speeds. 4G is amazing.

Well, the crap connection is going to be solved, and it might be soonish.  We went and spoke to our ISP and since we are literally one of their first five customers (from many years ago) AND we have tech-heads on premises...

We are alpha-testing their new tower-building machine, which will elevate our new receiver to the point where it can see their new tower.  We are getting our very own transmitter on that tower.  Which will connect directly to...fiber.  5mps up, 15mps down, they tell me.

Just not sure how many weeks this is going to take.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 02:57:30 AM »
Well, the crap connection is going to be solved, and it might be soonish.  We went and spoke to our ISP and since we are literally one of their first five customers (from many years ago) AND we have tech-heads on premises...

We are alpha-testing their new tower-building machine, which will elevate our new receiver to the point where it can see their new tower.  We are getting our very own transmitter on that tower.  Which will connect directly to...fiber.  5mps up, 15mps down, they tell me.

That is a decent connection. Hopefully quickly!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »

My old 'ye olde local cable' before my last move a year ago was slower than that and played most games fine, so I hope when that connection hits you'll see a massive difference in your ability to browse and play games, especially if all you've had in the past was DSL or dial up.

Though I never trust their sales pitch on the speeds, and always do speedtest.net's test.

It's pretty terrible there are still spots left out of broadband. Really people need to just accept that the internet is too important to be left up to chance in these areas and accept some amount of intervention to get areas that Comcast and the like have washed their hands of some broadband, same as what happened with television and phone lines way back.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
Simple speed isn't the only factor. I don't fully understand it, but satellite technology didn't allow for a gaming experience as well as ground-based broadband. It was something to do with the transmission being in bursts, or something. Basically, browsing and streaming were fine because of how the data was handled, but realtime back and forth like an MMO was clunky. This was a little over five years ago or so, but, if I was in a hotel with satellite, the game would lag and rubberband a lot. I will say it worked better than WoW, which was nearly unplayable.

Of course, my information is technically second hand. I wasn't playing either game, at the time, but two of the guys I traveled with were playing WoW and one was playing CoH.

What VV has sounds a bit like a large scale point-to-point wireless system, like one of the ISPs here uses. I don't know where she is, in terms of terrain, but, if I had to guess, she's probably not in as hilly a place as I am, so her ISP is probably pretty reliable. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »
I actually spent $10,000 a few years ago on a Wisp startup.

The weak point is always the backbone and how they manage traffic. I stopped in my area because Verizon 4G is damn good and now it is faster than I could provide with limited startup money.

The new 700mhz range is awesome for penetration of foliage and trees. The old range is in the 1900 mhz area and rain, trees and leaves block it and also you get a much higher ping rate - normally 250 each way overhead + connection to server - so if you get a ping of 300 to the game server you get a total of 800 round trip. This makes most games unplayable except MMO's.

Now 4G management makes this far less of a problem - I was playing on Left for Dead the other day and had a ping of 110 - which is good for a wired connection. Now Verizon also has a new service called Home Fusion that uses a large sealed antenna mounted outside of the house and gives you a VERY fast connection with a 20 gb cap. So most gaming is no problem just watch out downloading a bunch of Youtube stuff.

http://youreguide.vzw.com/a2/homefusion-broadband-verizon-4g-coverage-lte-web-access/

If you can get this in your area it will blow away most WISP speeds.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
Simple speed isn't the only factor. I don't fully understand it, but satellite technology didn't allow for a gaming experience as well as ground-based broadband. It was something to do with the transmission being in bursts, or something. Basically, browsing and streaming were fine because of how the data was handled, but realtime back and forth like an MMO was clunky. This was a little over five years ago or so, but, if I was in a hotel with satellite, the game would lag and rubberband a lot. I will say it worked better than WoW, which was nearly unplayable.

I'll try to explain that. When you send data, you always do so over bursts, but the bursts are relatively close together, so it's a constant 'stream', for all intents and purposes.

If the transmission bursts are farther apart, then there are 'gaps' in that information. Now, if you're downloading something, it doesn't matter so much if the download starts and stops like that, if the overall AVERAGE speed is the same. You, the user, won't be able to tell. Even a 'streaming' movie downloads parts of the movie before you get to it, so if the AVERAGE speed is alright, then you won't run into parts of the movie you haven't seen yet, because you view the movie at a static rate of 1 second per 1 second. So while you're watching the movie, the movie can have more of itself loaded and ready to watch faster than you can watch it. So it doesn't matter so much if there's small dead times as long as the live times are fast enough to make up the difference.

If that even makes sense?

But if you're playing a game, if the 'dead times' are long enough, it can cause lag, even if the 'live' times are sufficiently fast or even more so.

Older wireless cards had this problem a lot, and I don't even mean like, over a cell phone or anything. Even if the average speed was good, or even way better than the game required, it didn't matter so much because the game can't preload a lot of data if it constantly has to check to see if you've made a move or not.

I'm not sure though how well the technology has improved though because I don't own a smart phone. I know wireless cards and adaptors and stuff are now not that bad, as long as you have a house that is small enough and not filled up with enough things to disrupt the signal.

Of course, my information is technically second hand. I wasn't playing either game, at the time, but two of the guys I traveled with were playing WoW and one was playing CoH.

What VV has sounds a bit like a large scale point-to-point wireless system, like one of the ISPs here uses. I don't know where she is, in terms of terrain, but, if I had to guess, she's probably not in as hilly a place as I am, so her ISP is probably pretty reliable. :)

A lot of places in the country don't offer broadband connections, or they do but the term for what is and isn't broadband is so old as to almost be meaningless anymore. I could see some connection in the middle of Tennessee not keeping up with most games. Especially particularly 'twitch' based game play.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:13 PM »
I miss the character creator and watching the concept work against enemy forces.

I never could draw worth a crap and this allowed my brain to be creative and transfer that creativeness into the virtual world. Many concepts that been floating around in my head since the late 90s were able to finally come to realization with that game, which was the first online game I played and first game where I could play my own creation. Other games got old and dull controlling someone else's concept and being limited by someone else's concept.

I could finally create a heartless hero that saved people because they felt that humans were a species that were primitive and needed saving because they wasnt capable mentally to do it themselves. Or I could make a villian that didnt really enjoy being a villian but had a family to feed and just trying to make ends meet. Or I could (later on especially with Rogue) create Crieghton Nox who went with the highest bidder good or bad and didnt give a crap about anyone unless they could be used to further Nox's personal goal.

My hobby has always been "drawing" pictures with words. Maybe one day I'll dust off a few manuscripts and submit them for publishing. But COX allowed me to create a visual using visuals. .

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »
If that even makes sense?

It does, thank you. It's a better explanation than the one I got from my boss when i was working for a DSL-based ISP (long story).

I came into online gaming pretty recently. CoH was my first subscription-based game. Before that, I had played Baldur's Gate and the occasional Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory over dial up. :)

And, yes, those hotels were usually in (or "out by the interstate" near) small, rural towns.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
It does, thank you. It's a better explanation than the one I got from my boss when i was working for a DSL-based ISP (long story).

I came into online gaming pretty recently. CoH was my first subscription-based game. Before that, I had played Baldur's Gate and the occasional Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory over dial up. :)

And, yes, those hotels were usually in (or "out by the interstate" near) small, rural towns.

Oh, one thing that modern appliances will do now better that old ones didn't do as well, and I forgot to mention, was that they'll stream several different 'bursts' at a time, so that you get a more continuous signal, sorta like how old Gatling guns fired faster by rotating to a new fresh barrel. I'm not sure how well smart phones deal with that because, again, I don't own one.

Ironwolf might have more up-to-date information on all of that. My last service provider before the one I'm on now, which is Xfinity, was some local BS cable company, but it was literally that or dial up or DSL that's older than Jesus, so there wasn't much choice.

Not to mention that the DSL was owned by some local BS company too, and ended up being more expensive anyways because they more or less only sold it in packages so if you wasn't buying a mortgage, car payment and Vietnamese slave child all at once, they wasn't going to sell anything at a reasonable price.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 04:20:28 AM »
Satellite is not only bad for gaming because of the inherent lag but because after you download a ridiculously small amount, they throttle you.

What I have is my ISP's OLD large scale point-to-point wireless system; we share a transmitter, and the feed is bought from Cox cable.  As more people have come on the system, our connection has degraded.  And then there is the guy with the ham radio on the hill behind us, who talks to Spain every Sunday....basically trampling our signal with his noise.

The NEW point to point will give us our own transmitter and the feed is from fiber.

Verizon 4G is not available in our area.  AT&T was generously going to give us 4G for a $10,000 initial cost and $1200 a month.  I want what they are smoking.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 04:45:36 AM »
I miss nearly all of the things that have been said already, and many more that have not been mentioned.

But to touch on the emote subject I loved the default idle animation; hands on hips and then crossed arms.  All I had to do was let my character sit there and I felt heroic.  Also, the sheer amount and variety of emotes was staggering;  as an avid screenshotter I was completely spoiled.

Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 04:55:15 AM »
Heh, I remember when I discovered the Bat Smash emote. That was an amusing day!
/macro CPR "say Don't worry, $target, I know Brooklyn CPR$$e batsmash"
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »
alakazamreact. Hey wanna see a trick? POOF! I'm a table! ;D

I loved alakazamreact when it turned you into a pumpkin. That was great.

I had no interest in turning into a lamp or table though, so when that change happened I stopped using the emote.

You know what I miss? Being able to make any costume I wanted, and I could wear it anytime without it affecting my stats. The game I am in now, how you look = your stats and I HATE IT. Also, having to go to some NPC to "repair your armor" SUCKS. God what a waste of time.

Tiger

• Underling
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
I actually spent $10,000 a few years ago on a Wisp startup.

The weak point is always the backbone and how they manage traffic. I stopped in my area because Verizon 4G is damn good and now it is faster than I could provide with limited startup money.

The new 700mhz range is awesome for penetration of foliage and trees. The old range is in the 1900 mhz area and rain, trees and leaves block it and also you get a much higher ping rate - normally 250 each way overhead + connection to server - so if you get a ping of 300 to the game server you get a total of 800 round trip. This makes most games unplayable except MMO's.

Now 4G management makes this far less of a problem - I was playing on Left for Dead the other day and had a ping of 110 - which is good for a wired connection. Now Verizon also has a new service called Home Fusion that uses a large sealed antenna mounted outside of the house and gives you a VERY fast connection with a 20 gb cap. So most gaming is no problem just watch out downloading a bunch of Youtube stuff.

http://youreguide.vzw.com/a2/homefusion-broadband-verizon-4g-coverage-lte-web-access/

If you can get this in your area it will blow away most WISP speeds.
With all due respect, my dad was making about $75,000 a year 15 years ago working for an ISP company. So when the company went bankrupt, he did not have that job, but he only worked for that company and was not an investor.
So what I do not get is that you only spent $10,000 but then you said you completely gave up ie you said "I stopped in my area because Verizon 4G is damn good and now it is faster than I could provide with limited startup money." With out knowing anything about you, was $10,000 way way too little an amount to invest.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 01:44:50 AM »
I agree that $10,000 was too little but I bought the T1 and tried to set 2 back haul antennas to carry the load to the far end and then buy the radios to feed each overlapping zone.

The trouble was the high amount of trees in the area and the fact that Verizon was starting to saturate it with 3G and then switching to 4G. The 2100-1900 mhz range is very poor for going through trees. The 700 range that they purchased from the old analog TV signal is far better for this and I can tell you at my house even with only 2 bars my air card is faster than the 10 mbps dsl my brother has.

People come here and ask what type of cable do you have this is blazing fast!

The trouble is the 10GB cap is painful for starting a new game. I will download the Secret World once my month starts again but until then my grand daughter and her Youtube downloads kill me.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 02:47:07 AM »
Verizon 4G is not available in our area.  AT&T was generously going to give us 4G for a $10,000 initial cost and $1200 a month.  I want what they are smoking.
LMAO!  Yeah, must be good stuff!

Re: missing CoH, I'll just say "everything" other than lag and rubber-banding or bugged missions.  Otherwise, I'd just come up with a copious list and still omit things worth including.  /em holdtorch
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 03:03:19 AM »
Satellite is not only bad for gaming because of the inherent lag but because after you download a ridiculously small amount, they throttle you.

What I have is my ISP's OLD large scale point-to-point wireless system; we share a transmitter, and the feed is bought from Cox cable.  As more people have come on the system, our connection has degraded.  And then there is the guy with the ham radio on the hill behind us, who talks to Spain every Sunday....basically trampling our signal with his noise.

The NEW point to point will give us our own transmitter and the feed is from fiber.

AT&T offered you a house payment for 4G internet  connection? Hah, that's almost so bad it's not even funny, but wrapped around to being funny again.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 05:37:53 AM »
When I have $10k to spend on my internet connection, I will instead spend it on good food.

Because I am getting real tired of Ramen.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.