Author Topic: One Thing I Miss  (Read 19926 times)

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
Re: One Thing I Miss
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »
I miss my properly cultivated affliction.

You can think what you want.

I still maintain that acute altoholism saves more lives than it risks.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »
Wel the $10k was on trying to start up a new Wisp (Wireless ISP). It was a lot of work and I learned a great deal of stuff including how most of the wireless stuff works as well as how to better manage a business startup.

I would say overall it was worth the $10k for the lessons learned that no college in the country could teach for 5 times that amount.

I plan on starting up a pewter jewelry casting business and slowly buying my equipment and also a printer for making prototypes:
http://www.additive3d.com/3dpr_cht.htm

Some of the printers can print over 8 inch square products out of 10 colors of ABS plastic. One of the best sells for less than $2k.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »
Wel the $10k was on trying to start up a new Wisp (Wireless ISP). It was a lot of work and I learned a great deal of stuff including how most of the wireless stuff works as well as how to better manage a business startup.

I would say overall it was worth the $10k for the lessons learned that no college in the country could teach for 5 times that amount.

I plan on starting up a pewter jewelry casting business and slowly buying my equipment and also a printer for making prototypes:
http://www.additive3d.com/3dpr_cht.htm

Some of the printers can print over 8 inch square products out of 10 colors of ABS plastic. One of the best sells for less than $2k.

They really need a new word for that than 'printer' as that sounds dumb as heck. Fabricator or something, maybe.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
They really need a new word for that than 'printer' as that sounds dumb as heck. Fabricator or something, maybe.

Awesomolator?
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

DashaBlade

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 12:22:44 AM »

I was going to say, "Just use the Star Trek word, and call it a replicator," but then I remembered that Replicators are Very Bad Things in Stargate SG-1.

Combobulator. *nods*

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »
I was going to say, "Just use the Star Trek word, and call it a replicator," but then I remembered that Replicators are Very Bad Things in Stargate SG-1.

Combobulator. *nods*

I always liked "matter compiler" from The Diamond Age.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2013, 05:47:28 AM »
Awesomolator?

Maybe an Aweseblator?  :o
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2013, 06:36:43 AM »

Combobulator. *nods*

I chose fabricate because that's what it does. Replicate sort of makes it sound like it actively creates matter from thin air.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »
Plasticator?

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
Plasticator?

Hah, I guess that would very narrowly fit for this one specific type of 'printer'.

Nilbog

• Minion
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2013, 08:49:04 PM »
I miss my BS/SR scrapper Slayer
The combination of speed and damage I do not believe I will be able to replicate in any other game quite as cleanly
I could solo, TF and pvp and always be valuable and deadly
All my builds and costumes to go with it were tweaked divinely to my liking
The emotes I miss as well
When a group was waiting for others to enter a mission, many times I would play look out and crouch on a high ledge, low cowl and cape flowing. One could roleplay and stay in character through the emotes without saying too much
I miss flying as well, I would dream about it occasionally as it is so much fun it enters your sub-conscience
I loved the fact that I was a god in pve but there was always more room to get more powerful in pvp and there is always someone better than you

I guess, like previously stated, I miss everything... I miss my virtual home

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
The one thing that I have missed is a global friends list.

Without knowing exactly which character my altaholoc friends are playing on at any point in time, I find it difficult to play with my friends.

Especially if they make a new character.

CoH really spoiled me with the global friends list.  :'(

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 06:46:49 AM »
CoH really spoiled all of us with a lot of ideas that were genuinely amazing and should by all rights have become expected standard features in every MMO the way WoW's dungeon finder did. Sidekicking, missions scaling to team size, global chat and friends lists, multiple builds (We had them before WoW had dual specs), etc... The list just goes on and on.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 07:04:31 AM »
Sidekicking, in particular needs to become standard MMO feature. Also teams of 8, or at least 6. I really, really hate not being able to play with friends due to team restrictions or level restrictions.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »
'But WoW hasn't done it yet so clearly it's a bad idea!'

God, I wish I could murder some of the apparently mindless sheep that seem to run the mainstream gaming industry sometimes.

Quinch

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2013, 04:37:55 PM »
They're not sheep.

They're shearers.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
The one thing that I have missed is a global friends list.

Without knowing exactly which character my altaholoc friends are playing on at any point in time, I find it difficult to play with my friends.

Especially if they make a new character.

CoH really spoiled me with the global friends list.  :'(

I think about the only real thing I did like about CO over CoH was that the global friends list was your only friends list, and the only unique name you had or needed was your global name, and the fact there was no real separated servers, just instances grown as demand needed.

I think CoH would had benefited a lot from both. Or maybe a "Role Playing" slash "Casual/PvE" slash French or German language server, but that's it.

I know some people were like 'Whaa, but people would crib off me and have the same name as me. I don't want 50 copies of me", but I never saw that as an issue.

Because let's be frank, if there's 50 guys with the exact same name as you because you named your guy Fire Man, chances are your name isn't really that original in the first place, you just happened to be the first one to sit down in the chair. And if your name is something like "Selena Guerette von Kliethermes", then chances are nobody's going to have the same name even if you let them.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »
Counter to that, and only because it was really creative, IMO, was the group of players on Virtue (I believe) who all named their characters some variation on "Ensign Red Shirt." I think they were Arachnos soldiers. That concept would play very well on the system that CO uses, particularly for a SG.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
Counter to that, and only because it was really creative, IMO, was the group of players on Virtue (I believe) who all named their characters some variation on "Ensign Red Shirt." I think they were Arachnos soldiers. That concept would play very well on the system that CO uses, particularly for a SG.

I'd be totally cool with that sort of thing too. That actually sounds kind of cool. My RP Arachnos soldier's bio was just the NPC information for a Wolf Spider copied and pasted into his biography and I tried to make his text the same shade of blue that generic NPCs used.

I'm not, personally, worried that somebody in the whole of existence, now, before or after has the same name of 'Osborn' as me. I actively thought the idea that the universe has an enforced One Steve Limit was kind of dumb or odd. If I happened to be the first person to get the name 'Osborn' somewhere it's not because I'm original.

I mean, I recognize that for friend list and billing purposes that every Global user name has to be unique, but I really liked the freedom to have a non-unique character name.

Barring that I tend to put my character's last names in their name, which works for me but not for like, 90% of anybody else who doesn't want their character's name to be a 'realistic' name, and wants it to be a 'superhero' name.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2013, 01:33:31 AM »
I'm not, personally, worried that somebody in the whole of existence, now, before or after has the same name of 'Osborn' as me. I actively thought the idea that the universe has an enforced One Steve Limit was kind of dumb or odd. If I happened to be the first person to get the name 'Osborn' somewhere it's not because I'm original.

When I was in high school, I was in a class that had 3 students named Jason.

I will agree that CO does have a good naming system. But, I don't think they have a global friends list like CoH did.
At least STO doesn't. I can't check my friends list and see that Bob@accounttemps is online instead of Weave@accounttemps, if I don't have Bob@accounttemps on the list.
If it listed any of the characters on the @accouttemps account that happened to be online at the time, then I would call it a global friends list.