Author Topic: First Surprises in COH  (Read 36396 times)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Re: First Surprises in COH
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2013, 09:22:19 AM »
I have to confess the traffic befuddled me, at first, too. Once I found out it wouldn't hurt me, I was irritated that I couldn't jump on top of one of the trucks and ride it. :)

Or the blimp in AP.

Another one I just remembered; first time I got Speed Boosted: "K on the next groWHERE THE FREEM DID THAT WALL COME FROM?!"

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »
Another one I just remembered; first time I got Speed Boosted: "K on the next groWHERE THE FREEM DID THAT WALL COME FROM?!"

This! Only, for me, it was a rather healthy-sized mob. There were 6 of us on the team, and I already had established that I was not above running headlong around a corner with my squishy. There was a lot of "What the #$%@, man!" as the team ended up wiped...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

InnerWill

• Underling
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2013, 11:54:01 PM »
Don't really remember what my first surprise was (probably the costume creator), but one thing that has stuck with me was running through King's Row to my mission and seeing what looked like a marching band lined up on the sidewalk.  Thought to myself, "What the heck is that!?" and proceeded to get closer for a better look.  That's when I found out about both ambushes and the Nemesis army. :)  I lasted about 1/4 second after they noticed me, then and only then did I think to click on one to con it and see that it was only ~40 levels higher than me.

On the one hand I was glad when they changed the way ambushes worked, but on the other, I kinda missed that thrill...

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »
seeing what looked like a marching band

HA! I love it! ;D

Uggggh, but now I'm picturing a Warhulk trying to play a glockenspiel... :o

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2013, 03:52:22 AM »
My first surprise was walking out of Outbreak with my hero, my very first toon, and meeting some friends on the front steps of AP (right in front of the statue) just in time to see the sky go green and sirens go off. My friend who was the most experienced in the game just said "RUN! GET INTO CITY HALL NOW" and I did. That was the first time I learned about Rikti, lol.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
I recall the first time I saw Nemesis in Crey's Folly...I was sk'd and it was my first time there..."Wow," I said.  "Someone really hated band."
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2013, 08:14:53 AM »
Bosses going Warwolf have been mentioned, but I still remember my first encounter with Clockwork Gears.
I was solo on my first defender and had just managed to put down a Prince by myself.  My health bar was in the low yellow and my end bar wasn't doing too good either (pre-Stamina + Clock shocks), but he was down... and then...  I distinctly remember thinking "OMG it had kittens:-[

Then there was the time I was flying over Skyway, saw something odd, and went down for a closer look.
The "something odd" turned out to be a very purple (in attire as well as level) Freakshow, who sent me to the hospital the quick way.

Honorable mention:  not realizing for at least a couple of weeks that I could combine enhancements without both of them needing to be already slotted on the character.  That led to some... interesting slotting choices and juggling, though I was too low level and short of slots for it to matter much before I found out otherwise.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:18 AM »
Bosses going Warwolf have been mentioned, but I still remember my first encounter with Clockwork Gears.
I was solo on my first defender and had just managed to put down a Prince by myself.  My health bar was in the low yellow and my end bar wasn't doing too good either (pre-Stamina + Clock shocks), but he was down... and then...  I distinctly remember thinking "OMG it had kittens"  :-[ 

*FALLS OVER LAUGHING*

help... can't... breathe...

*collapses in laughter again... *

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »
For me I have to say. 

First time in Independence Port heading to my mission and... what's that over there?  A giant octopus cool... got to close and splat I was fish food.  Lusca you were my first GM and I miss you!
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »
*Chris Farley interviewer voice*
Remember when you were on that bridge in IP....and you were kicking he Council's butt...and you got that Council shield unlock? Remember that?

That was awesome!

(Seriously, I  had no idea there were weapon unlocks in the game...
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »
Well, as you can see, I went away until my late manuscript was finished but I'm back now.

And what about when you first log on to the Character Creator and they're BREATHING?
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2013, 10:27:35 PM »
And what about when you first log on to the Character Creator and they're BREATHING?

Prophetic, wasn't it? From the start they were telling us we'd be creating something that was alive, and would live within us for eternity.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2013, 11:56:02 PM »
First surprise? The city-sized caverns where you defeat the AV bosses of the Devouring Earth.

Second Surprise? Seeing the Seed of Hamidon for the first time in First Ward.

My first real shocker?

...well...

That would have to be....I think...The Dark Astoria story arc where you defeat Mot. Creepy!  :o

...always thought I had voices in my head or something...

"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2013, 01:02:51 AM »
My first surprise in CoH came when I'd finally learned how to tank properly, and was no longer squishy.  I was a Super Strength/Invul classic flying brick, and I and my team were up against Freakshow.  We'd made short work of a crowd of Freaks, whose ball-lightning attacks had left us kinda drained on endurance.

We were congratulating ourselves and resting up for the next fight, when a tank slasher, two juicers and a stunner woke back up.  I think our defender's reaction went along the lines of "ZOMBIE CYBER-PUNKS!  RUN FOR THE HILLS!"  My reaction was a reflexive Haymaker to the tank freak (what can I say?  I react to surprise with violence.  Sneaking up on me is not a good idea.)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2013, 01:11:11 AM »
Mot. Creepy!  :o

...always thought I had voices in my head or something...

Nicely done 8)

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2013, 01:59:13 AM »
My first surprise in CoH came when I'd finally learned how to tank properly, and was no longer squishy.  I was a Super Strength/Invul classic flying brick, and I and my team were up against Freakshow.  We'd made short work of a crowd of Freaks, whose ball-lightning attacks had left us kinda drained on endurance.

We were congratulating ourselves and resting up for the next fight, when a tank slasher, two juicers and a stunner woke back up.  I think our defender's reaction went along the lines of "ZOMBIE CYBER-PUNKS!  RUN FOR THE HILLS!"  My reaction was a reflexive Haymaker to the tank freak (what can I say?  I react to surprise with violence.  Sneaking up on me is not a good idea.)

:-\ I loved playing a stalker... but one thing I learned real quickly, is that no matter how much damage I can dish out as one, I'm as squishy as a bug when it comes to AV's. And Freakshow..ugh. I hated it when they resurrected behind you..
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:04:41 AM by LadyShin »
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »
The first time I saw Lusca's tentacles waving at me on the horizon...
Could've been worse.
When my first toon got Super Jump I was having fun in IP. Right as I was in the air:
"A wild Lusca has appeared."
And I landed amidst a bunch of tentacles...instakill :o
Heh, reminds me of flying in old Dark Astoria.
"Dark,dark,dark...is this zone somehow brokSPLAT!...The Hell?!

But my first surprise were those damn suicide bombing CoT mages.
Funny, why aren't those running away, but towards m...BOOM!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:53:47 AM by Nos482 »
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2013, 09:03:39 PM »
mmkay, i'm gonna have to confess another surprise.

You know you've seen it, you know you love it.

Teaming up with Statesman to crack some bad guy skulls on the later missions. You wonder just for a moment what it is that Statesman will do to assist...you're about to power up your stealth kill power..when suddenly this ten ton chunk of rock comes flying out of left field, pulverizing said foe. They go flying, a blue and red blur follows, which proceeds to uppercut the poor sap into the frakking roof.

K.O.  :o

I just let old States have his day.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »
Heh, reminds me of flying in old Dark Astoria.
"Dark,dark,dark...is this zone somehow brokSPLAT!...The Hell?!
You should have tried it with an Ice tanker -- the SFX from the different ice armors created this horrid glow against the background haze that pretty much wiped out your ability to see anything in front of you. It got to the point where getting all the exploration badges and popping Reveal on DA was a must, because then I could use the minimap to navigate with and avoid flying into a building. Which was something that I'd gotten used to in the various online WWII air-combat sims I've played, since there's not much to use as landmarks looking out the cockpit window when you're flying a bomber.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
Which was something that I'd gotten used to in the various online WWII air-combat sims I've played, since there's not much to use as landmarks looking out the cockpit window when you're flying a bomber.
I can imagine that. Must've been hell to find your way back without any landmarks left to navigate by :roll:...
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.