Author Topic: First Surprises in COH  (Read 36328 times)

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
First Surprises in COH
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
My absolute hugest surprise near the beginning of the game was falling down in the hollows and either hosp.ing due to the fall or unfriendly lava guys.  Who else did this happen to?  Well, the projectile vomiting by the V. was also an eye-opener...but COH was my first mmog.

I thought about a poll for this, so if that tickles your fancy, Go for it!
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
Re: First Surprises in COH
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 06:05:57 PM »
My first big surprise? Finding out the hard way that I should change auto-run to something other than the "R" key, after a couple of whoopsies. Predictably enough, in the Hollows to boot :)
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »
I started shortly after the CoV release, so I'm not sure I remember what my first surprise was.

However, one of the most memorable surprises I had was when I first tried a Hero. 
It was the classic blunder at the train station.

In my defense, with the villains' ferries you CAN just turn around and get back on.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »
I started on the first day the game went live and my surprise? Six slotting Rest is a bad idea. Who knew?

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »
Mine was being in Steel or King Row with a friend. We noticed a bunch of plant and rock guys running down the street, and we'd never seen villains so unhuman before. Fortunately we were smart enough to stay out of their way.

Nowadays I realize it was someone's Devouring Earth ambush.  When you are new to the game, though, and maybe level 10, things like that were a neat surprise.
-- Rich

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 07:46:02 PM »
"The tram isn't working"
"Try the other door".

Also

"You mean there are shops, you don't have to rely on drops" (I1 before they were marked on the map)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »
The first time I saw Lusca's tentacles waving at me on the horizon...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Zekiran

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »
When the Rularuu invasion was going and I was new, seeing gigantic floating eyeballs *using the fire escapes* in Kings Row to follow someone up to the rooftops...

And then being eaten by one of them.

Of course, the LAST surprise I got was when I was doing my final run around Atlas Park on the last day, and discovered ONLY THEN that the buildings they'd revamped in the Downside area had elevators that moved on their exteriors. T___T

Sparky

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 12:01:54 AM »
The first time a 5th Column went werewolf on me.  :o

pyber

• Minion
  • Das Hamster
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 01:24:11 AM »
The first time my Brute ran into a Malta Sapper.  *ZAP* "OMG, where'd all my End go?!?"

The first time I hit Siphon Speed on a Kin.  *Run > Wall*  "Where the heck did that wall come from?"

The first time I happened across Hami, while exploring the Abyss on my first toon.  "Oh look, its kinda like Jell-O"  *Dies* O.o
"From my big beautiful warlock brain, welcome to 'Sheen's Korner' ... You're either in my corner, or you're with the trolls."

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 01:44:38 AM »
-- Rich

BobMc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 01:50:34 AM »
The first time a Freakshow rezzed on me... think it was a tank to boot... I had just barely won, and took a knee to rest... REZZZZ

Hokey Smokes Batman!
The final line of a post  by Sweet_Sarah on Liberty
"Together we entered a city of strangers, we made it a city of friends, and we leave it a City of Heroes."

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 03:10:02 AM »
I guess the sewers. As with anyone else, I started my char at level 1 to earn xp 6 yrs ago. After a few runs, I never expected to find a lev 50 Villain in there.Think it was a Minotuar...I skee-daddled out off there in a hurry. :o

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »
The first time a 5th Column went werewolf on me.  :o
This only with the Council.  That event was followed by another first -- discovering enemies that could chase me through elevators.  :gonk:

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 04:24:19 AM »
This only with the Council.  That event was followed by another first -- discovering enemies that could chase me through elevators.  :gonk:
A yes, the damn gears following me down the elevator.  That was a nasty surprise.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 04:33:47 AM »
Oh, I am so pleased I started this thread.  You all made me laugh, since, of course I was surprised by that stuff too -- the Freakshow rezzing, the enemy following on the vator, pressing R instead of 5 and running straight into a mob, aggroing it and killing the whole damn team (of strangers)... ;D
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:07 AM »
The first time I saw Lusca's tentacles waving at me on the horizon...

Flying "feet wet" in IP and  "WHAT JUST HAPPENED" as I am faceplanted in the  water and there are tentacles?!?
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 06:11:17 AM »
Exiting the Tram in AP at level 10 and seeing TWO Khelds   "Squid up" and fly off one Purple-y and the other Shimmery White. Being new  by the time I thought to target them and get  info they were out of range. I asked my friend and was told "Oh those are the ATs you get when you are 50, they are aliens." (this was in Nov 2006).
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Tivomaniac

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 03:44:22 PM »
For me I was in Perez and suddenly there was a group of level 40 (the cap at the time) Malta running down the street. I was level 8 at the time and had not seen Malta yet they just looked scary to little ol me.
--
You may know me as @PricklyDarkness from Triumph

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »
...and took a knee to rest...

And then you took a Rest to the knee! Hey-o!