Author Topic: First Surprises in COH  (Read 36223 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: First Surprises in COH
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 05:36:08 AM »
I was surprised in the revamped Atlas as I was flying around and saw an enclosed rooftop-garden-dome, which I found I could enter via the street level doors!  There didn't seem to be any real point to doing so, but I thought it was neat.
Made specifically for the RPers who were losing Galaxy City's park.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »
I was sitting here, somewhat saddened by my lack of response to this question...
But I just realized what really pleasantly surprised me from within the game!

NPC Citizens exclaiming things about our characters!!
"Hey, Electric-Knight, we love you!"
"I can't wait to tell all my friends that I saw Electric-Knight!"
"Way to go, Electric-Knight!"
And the inclusion of specific mission accomplishments in such exclamations was brilliant and really made me do a double take! :D

Later on... within the Tip Mission system, during the level 50 Hero Morality Mission where you go to Grandeville of the Rogue Isle to save a traitorous Bane Spider from execution...
As you approach the place of execution, the crowd of people gathered round all start cheering and chanting your name!!
Great googly moogly, that was honestly one of my favorite gaming experiences ever!! :D

1. Actually feeling it in my gut when I jumped off a building.
YES!! Such an amazing thing! Not just the feeling, but how often this game would induce it! :)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 04:49:35 PM »
I started playing during the Halloween event, so mine was Eochai in Kings Row. I had a big "OMGWTF is that?!" moment.

And to add to the Halloween event surprises, I had another when it ended and I realized the game actually had daytime. Our family just assumed it was always night because that's when the crime happened. XD
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:13:51 PM by Lily Barclay »

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 04:54:26 PM »
The first time I saw Lusca's tentacles waving at me on the horizon...

Oh that's another one, though I knew about Lusca when it happened the first time... I have had her spawn on my head while casually swimming through IP at least 4 times. Even on the last day, I was still having anxiety attacks swimming through IP. Ninja Lusca death scars you for life.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 04:57:29 PM »
The first time a 5th Column went werewolf on me.  :o

Oh yeah, that's another good one. One of my first surprises, too.

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »
I'm going to throw the first Firefrost encounter in the Hollows into this mix (haven't noticed that anyone else has, anyway.)

Up until facing him the game was pretty much a hit the bad guys until they went down thing. Sure, I'd lost a few fights, but that was usually do to facing large numbers, or street sweeping and going up against baddies 2-3 levels over my toon's.

First time I went up against Firefrost was when I learned that it pays to think tactically.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »
I'm going to throw the first Firefrost encounter in the Hollows into this mix (haven't noticed that anyone else has, anyway.)

Up until facing him the game was pretty much a hit the bad guys until they went down thing. Sure, I'd lost a few fights, but that was usually do to facing large numbers, or street sweeping and going up against baddies 2-3 levels over my toon's.

First time I went up against Firefrost was when I learned that it pays to think tactically.

You mean Frostfire.  ;D

Cryfire

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
Jumping off the tram in Kings Row, running around the corner towards a mission and running right into a Clockwork Paladin with his minions, ouch.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Exiting a mission on my first character (who was still low level) only to have zombies emerge from the ground.  Happily, I'd been warned about this event, but it was extra fun for me since my first "main" was a dark/dark defender.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

samfivedot

• Underling
  • ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »
Seeing the Arachnoids for the first time. "Sigh, just another routine sewer mission OH GOD WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS, WHY AM I IN SILENT HILL :gonk:"

The insanely high enemy respawn rates in Atlas Park. After defeating a group of Hellions, I turned my attention to a nearby group... and then the first one respawned and all six ganged up on me. Being a blaster, I did not survive long.

Zekiran

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 05:13:52 AM »
They didn't used to to that, actually. With the new low-level arcs, the specific spawn rates seemed to have been changed radically from their normal. It used to be that things *did not spawn* while you were there, there was a radius or a timer or basically "while you weren't looking" effect. So yeah those new ones which required you to save x number of people in parts of AP that really changed how the zone looked and felt. Constant stream of crime!

Oooh.

First time you learn to hate Tsoo Sorcerers. Not just because they freaking teleport, but because if you got a spawn with 2 of them in it *they circle-healed* each other...

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 02:14:16 PM »
First time you learn to hate Tsoo Sorcerers. Not just because they freaking teleport, but because if you got a spawn with 2 of them in it *they circle-healed* each other...

Or the one hero Morality mission...Where you get 2-3 very closely spaced mobs with 2+ in each of them.  It's like the bridge in Cimerora loaded down with Surgeons.

Running through it at +4 on a tank? 

*Sobs piteously*

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2012, 06:26:16 PM »
Pretty much everything covered, so far, was a fun surprise. My first exposure to a giant monster was the Winter Lord. One had just popped up in Atlas, on the way to the Hollows, so the team I was on (my Friday Night Regulars) jumped in with the already assembled heroes. My computer was pretty mediocre, back then, so i wasn't fully aware of everything going on, due to the amount of lag with such a large group of heroes and their power effects. It was a bit of a slog, but the twenty or so of us took him down without too many hairs out of place.

Next day, I'm soloing and come across one in Steel. "Hehe!" I think. "This'll be fun!" Turns out that, in the prior engagement, I had completely missed A) any snow minions and B) all the healing that had been going on. Took me being swatted down like a cockroach three times before i realized I wasn't going to get anywhere by myself.

Also, the first time using the costume creator.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »
I remember the devs spawning Hami in Atlas Park...

OW!

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »
I remember one of the really early patches that jerked a friend of mine and I over; we'd gotten missions to defeat some number of 5th Column vampires (IIRC), and trooped off to Brickstown... to discover that the devs had applied a patch that fixed an earlier bug that caused the 5th Column spawns in Brickstown to be only vampires and wolves, and the 5th Column spawns in Brickstown no longer had any vampires or wolves...

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2013, 10:57:34 AM »
I remembering leveling up in Steel soon after I started playing and saw the plant based Devouring Earth critters for the first time standing around a nearby corner, someones forgotten ambush.

"Hey look, tree-ents ... and they're conning ... purple."
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »
I have a massive fear of hitting the ground - it seems to stem from an accident when I was very young and cut my head open - any prospect of tripping over and hitting the ground without being able to catch myself sets my stomach on edge (even stepping through a door with a raised lip at my feet triggers this response).

The first time I found my self falling a significant distance on my main triggered a panic response, until...

Panic. Panic. Alt+9. I CAN FLYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2013, 04:54:43 PM »
This was probably two or three days after I started, after finally learning how the tram worked and getting to Kings Row. Doing missions solo there in KR, I ran toward my door. Standing outside my door is a group of dudes I had seen before but their costumes were a little more fancy (low level Council vs high level Council - more doodads on the higher levels) - nbd, right? I shrug, bomb in, and faceplant with one hit. I can totally remember the giant question mark forming in my brain as I run back from the hospital. I inspected the dudes from across the street this time instead of just running in. Level 50! Wow! That's got to be near the level cap! I had to broadcast for about 5 minutes for someone to come by and clean up the mess so that I could go into my mission.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 04:31:06 AM »
This was probably two or three days after I started, after finally learning how the tram worked and getting to Kings Row. Doing missions solo there in KR, I ran toward my door. Standing outside my door is a group of dudes I had seen before but their costumes were a little more fancy (low level Council vs high level Council - more doodads on the higher levels) - nbd, right? I shrug, bomb in, and faceplant with one hit. I can totally remember the giant question mark forming in my brain as I run back from the hospital. I inspected the dudes from across the street this time instead of just running in. Level 50! Wow! That's got to be near the level cap! I had to broadcast for about 5 minutes for someone to come by and clean up the mess so that I could go into my mission.

That reminds me of my early days in the game with Pakfront, my AR/EM Blaster, in early May 2004; I'd run up the stairs over in the SW corner of KR, and was headed north when I backpedaled frantically to get out of the way of the level-30 Banished Pantheon ambush stumbling up the road from behind me; I didn't have a clue what these were -- Pakfront was, at the time, my only character, and I'd only gotten her to level 6; all I knew was that these things were so purple they were deep ultraviolet to me...

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »
I still remember mine because it was the reason I bought the game. I'd gotten a trial code and make myself a spines/regen scrapper with the obligatory terrible first costume, and started in Galaxy City - this was back just before Issue 8. I'd run through the first few missions from the starting contact, and he'd introduced me to someone in Kings Row. Well, thought I. There's a gate to Kings Row right down there so I won't even need to use the train. So off I went, down to the south end of Galaxy and through the gate to Kings Row.

On the other side, I made it maybe a hundred yards and was promptly stomped flat. Not by the level 10 mobs in the area as you might expect, I saw purple and having actually read the text in the tutorial knew that meant I was no match for them. Instead, I was stomped flat by a giant robot. The Clockwork Paladin, to be precise.

As I respawned in the hospital I saw someone calling for a team to take down this mechanical menace, and though I figured he wouldn't want my level 6 self to take down what would be a raid boss in any other game I asked anyway and was surprised to get an invite. They sidekicked me up, and we went forth and made murder. That was my introduction to giant monsters, sidekicking, and the CoH community.