Author Topic: First Surprises in COH  (Read 36214 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: First Surprises in COH
« Reply #220 on: July 01, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »
I do admit that I liked Ninja Run. I stuck to the "does it really fit the character concept" philosophy for a while, but, when my powered armor tank could use it because his armor "had super-fast hydraulic legs," I had to admit defeat. Besides, my character's Ninja Run was usually as fast as a teammate's Flight, unless it was someplace like Sharkshead or Faultline, where there was a lot of steep terrain variation. Eventually, in more than a few cases, Ninja Run was the character's travel power. :)

I, too, eventually gave up picking travel powers based on concept, and started giving every toon Flight, because it was the most versatile (vertical travel as well as horizontal), and because, if I was interrupted, I could just park the toon in mid-air and be confident that he'd be safe while I was AFK.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #221 on: July 01, 2013, 08:50:59 PM »
I, too, eventually gave up picking travel powers based on concept, and started giving every toon Flight, because it was the most versatile (vertical travel as well as horizontal), and because, if I was interrupted, I could just park the toon in mid-air and be confident that he'd be safe while I was AFK.

I think Flight was the one I never took. My default was Super Jump (Boing!) - taken at level 14 as God intended. Teleport on bubblers for Recall Friend; Super Speed for Hasten on the empath (especially before inherent Stamina, power selections are very tight on an empath, with no squeezing in Hasten and the prerequisite for another travel power; and even with SO builds, Hasten and slotting for recharge means one of Recovery Aura or Regeneration Aura is up, so you either have lots of blue to heal with or don't need to do so much healing). Even then when dual builds came in, they all took Super Jump for soloing.

Much later when Arena jets were readily available, I really felt no need for Flight, but even on Super Speeders, limited vertical mobility came in quite early. I got a year's use out of the jingle jet by being disciplined about using it, for example.

Razy

• Minion
« Reply #222 on: July 01, 2013, 10:00:22 PM »
 I think i was in the Hollows, when i saw this bunch of colorful characters. Lvl 50 carnies in the Hollows??? OMG! . I was... what the  :o :o :o ?. There i was tiny low level amazed, and scared of them. I sent a shout, and a coupld of high level players came to my rescue  ;D.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #223 on: July 01, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »
I think i was in the Hollows, when i saw this bunch of colorful characters. Lvl 50 carnies in the Hollows??? OMG! . I was... what the  :o :o :o ?. There i was tiny low level amazed, and scared of them. I sent a shout, and a coupld of high level players came to my rescue  ;D.

I always liked helping out when someone was in a fix like that. All part of playing a hero. Pre-Freedom, I even liked to help lowbies without travel powers to get from Steel's Yellow-Line station to Icon and back.

LOL! That just reminded me that, at one point, I even considered making a Taxi Toon, outfitted with the necessary powers to get someone from Point A to Point B, and provide heals if needed - whether it was to Steel's Icon, or to safety by David Wincott at the Hollows entrance after the player's mission was over. Yes, I get that dedicated to helping fellow players out of a jam.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2013, 04:15:22 PM »

...at least, with some minimal care for where you park yourself. The Hive used to have Swarms at the tops of the (rock?) spires, and the flying Cabal in Croatoa, and the occasional ambush from Sky Raiders, 5th Column, Council, and Clockwork if you weren't paying attention -- but those are all special cases.

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »
I suppose the first thing that really impressed me was the first time I saw an enemy get Levitated. I was a mere scrapper, just kicking things, and here's some hero just FLINGING dudes into the air without touching them! I stopped what I was doing and was all "WTF was that?!"

"Levitate, from the Mind Control set!"

My next toon, which remained my main character for the rest of the time I played, was a Mind/Kin.

Also, count me as one of those "One enhancement type per power" folks. =)

<------------

Fellow Mind/Kin

:)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #226 on: July 03, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »
I remember a first surprise being the Circle of Thorns demon portals. I was on a team, and we were trying to find a glowie or something. They found it, but I was enthralled by these portals that just kept spawning demons non-stop. Someone who lived in my dorm happened to come in, and called me a "terrible teammate" because the rest of the team was off fighting objective bad guys, while I was over by the portal spawning endless masses of demons. Oops?

Regarding scrapper lock: Dual Blades scrappers actually have a reason to move from group to group - if the finished one group on the first or second step of a combo, there's a limited time to get to the next group and finish it off.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #227 on: July 03, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »
Regarding scrapper lock: Dual Blades scrappers actually have a reason to move from group to group - if the finished one group on the first or second step of a combo, there's a limited time to get to the next group and finish it off.

Other scrappers have a reason to move from group to group - everyone in this group is dead! Or at any rate all the ones in your field of view are. Banzai!

Remember, controllers don't get pets at 32. They get them at 2. They are called "scrappers".

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #228 on: July 03, 2013, 05:59:31 PM »

That's just an excuse and they know it. ;)

Real scrappers don't need reasons. They just need targets.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #229 on: July 03, 2013, 07:43:12 PM »
Remember, controllers don't get pets at 32. They get them at 2. They are called "scrappers".

And suddenly I'm snickering with the mental image of a scrapper-loaded version of this: