Author Topic: First Surprises in COH  (Read 36354 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: First Surprises in COH
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
mobs getting stuck in walls or dissappearing in kill alls. The first time it happened, I was like "Everyone is dead, no is moving, the mission should have ended. Well after about 30 min double checking rechecking and doing it all over again, put in a ticket for GM help. After 1.5 hours counting, GM shows up, as police drone, drags the stuck mob out of the wall I shoot it mission ends. Wow! one person can really stop a party!.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 07:45:21 PM »
mobs getting stuck in walls or dissappearing in kill alls. The first time it happened, I was like "Everyone is dead, no is moving, the mission should have ended. Well after about 30 min double checking rechecking and doing it all over again, put in a ticket for GM help. After 1.5 hours counting, GM shows up, as police drone, drags the stuck mob out of the wall I shoot it mission ends. Wow! one person can really stop a party!.

This.

This actually happened to me only twice, in my playing career.

It was resolved swiftly both times, by GM police drones.

Good times :(
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 07:54:51 PM »
Ah, the mobs in walls.  I think that was fixed in later issues, but what was really frustrating was when you couldn't hit them, but they could shoot you dead!  I think I got it from one in a cave wall, once...only hands and feet extruding...  I think this happened to me too many times to keep track of...but sometimes they DID get out of the walls/shelves/between the floors by themselves.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
My first time in IP, I was surprised by the Freakshow yelling for help near a fallen tank - I'd never seen such a thing in game. I hesitated for a while, thinking it was probably a trap, then thought: 'Hey, I'm a hero, he might actually need help.' Nope! Luckily it was just the first image that surprised me, not the rez, but it was cool nonetheless.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 11:25:56 PM »
I'll never forget the first time a Fifth Column Boss went Warwolf on me in Independence Port.

Not least of which because I'd never even SEEN a Warwolf before. I'd been solo-ing or running missions with my friend Glenn who'd gotten me in the game. So I was a newbie level 20-ish sometime in mid-late November 2004 who had done some 5th Column missions. But somehow I'd never had one "Wolf-Out" on me. And neither had Glenn! So he didn't know to warn me either!

So here I am, on my first toon, a scrapper named Lora Doubet - street sweeping on an early mission in IP not too far from the Tram and Hospital. Have to take down 20 of these guys IIRC and I'm getting near the end...

"Okay... 17... not too long now, here's another group, this ought to finish it up.

Take the grenade thrower down... done. Boom! Foot to the face of the machine gunner. Big tall dude here with some extra flash on his chest, oh right... conning orange boss. No problem, no problem... Thunder Kick to Storm Kick to Crane Kick, sliver of health, almost there... "

RRRRAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!

*Boss wolfs out and goes back to full health*

"JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH WHAT?!?!?"

Ironically it wasn't the Warwolf that sent me to the hospital...

It was me backpedaling all the way into a second group of 5th Column that did it...   :roll:

Zekiran

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 12:27:40 AM »
^^ oh my that sounds so very, very familiar :D

I did manage to survive one of the major Wolf-out ambushes I got hit with, when the ambushes were still buggy as crap and sent *all lts* at me...

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 12:36:35 AM »
Wonderful story, Atlantea.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 02:02:23 AM »
I remember not knowing what an so was, much less where to get them.  I also discovered the fitness pool at level 24 for the first time.  I stayed up until 6 am running failed respect mish after failed respec mish.  Geez that grind was a good time:)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »
This only with the Council.  That event was followed by another first -- discovering enemies that could chase me through elevators.  :gonk:

I'd have to say that was probably my first surprise too.

"Ah, safe, now I can...." DING "O_O $#*!"

Did they do away with the transforming 5th Column/Council? Cause I can't recall ever seeing one, and I started in mid-2007 (right after I9 I think).

Dollmistress

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »
"Guys, if you can see the Thorn Tree, you're already dead".  8)

"Thorn Tree? Ohhh, I s..."   :o

"Warned ya."   :roll:

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 08:37:43 AM »
I'd have to say that was probably my first surprise too.

"Ah, safe, now I can...." DING "O_O $#*!"

Did they do away with the transforming 5th Column/Council? Cause I can't recall ever seeing one, and I started in mid-2007 (right after I9 I think).

They still would transform, just not quite as often. I got it all the time on my x8 council maps.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 09:22:05 AM »
Ah, the mobs in walls.  I think that was fixed in later issues, but what was really frustrating was when you couldn't hit them, but they could shoot you dead!  I think I got it from one in a cave wall, once...only hands and feet extruding...  I think this happened to me too many times to keep track of...but sometimes they DID get out of the walls/shelves/between the floors by themselves.
This still happened as of I24.  I had this happen a couple times to me.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »
So many in this game...
1. Actually feeling it in my gut when I jumped off a building.
2. I totally agree with war wolves.
3. I joined around halloween, so...
4. Running into good ol' giant frosty solo in AP as a lowbie.
5. Lusca
6. The first body type costume change. (So good for RP)
7. From the first day to the last...the creative costumes and bios.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

SKEWLINES

• Underling
  • Jack-In-Irons
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
Taking my first lvl 20 tank to my buddies lvl 35ish mission in Founders Falls. This was in issue 3 or 4, when you had to be in close proximity of the mission holder to be side kicked. He had a better computer than I, and was waiting at the mission door already when I zoned in at the Talos/FF gate. SJ on, start traveling to the mission door much further to the south. Bam, died in mid jump. I had just been one shotted by a Nemesis sniper. "Noooooooo!!!" My friend yelled. I'll hit the hospital.  :roll: I don't even know what killed me. "It was probably a rooftop sniper. Stoopid Nemesissies!"
-Phrendon Largo
founder of A.G.O.N.Y. on Victory Server

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
Of course, the LAST surprise I got was when I was doing my final run around Atlas Park on the last day, and discovered ONLY THEN that the buildings they'd revamped in the Downside area had elevators that moved on their exteriors. T___T

What?!?  There were exterior elevators in new AP?  Could you ride in them?

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 03:59:46 PM »
Nope, but they were still neat :)
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »
One of the very first surprises for me....

Some friends and I had just gotten the game and were playing without really knowing what we were doing.

In a Vahz Cake Room Map .... (Vahz Cake. Sounds like a good Halloween Project!) and one of the Vahz says, "And will Gungnir save you? I think not."

(Now I know that it was my friend's mission but he must have logged out sometime in it because he wasn't around when the Vahz said that and I thought,
"This game knows who I team with?! Whoa!"

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »
Very early on in my CoH career, while on my Blaster and preparing to venture out of AP for the 1st time via railway, I turned back to City Hall while on my way to the station, only to see a group of lv -40- mobs running around...of course, it was a triggered ambush, but at THAT point, I thought something big was going down...this was probably no later than late-September 2004....  :)

...and I think we've all had this one happen...:

During a winter holiday event....

Me: Ooh, another present, I wonder what's in this one-WINTERLORDOHCRA-==splat==

:D

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 03:01:23 AM »
On one of my fenders or trollers, and had finally learned to hover ABOVE everyone else so I wouldn't get splatted by the bad guys.  Happily hovering above a bunch in Steel while everyone else whales on them.

Then the damn electric blaster flies up to one-shot me.  Bastich.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 05:21:02 AM »
Of course, the LAST surprise I got was when I was doing my final run around Atlas Park on the last day, and discovered ONLY THEN that the buildings they'd revamped in the Downside area had elevators that moved on their exteriors. T___T

I was surprised in the revamped Atlas as I was flying around and saw an enclosed rooftop-garden-dome, which I found I could enter via the street level doors!  There didn't seem to be any real point to doing so, but I thought it was neat.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.