Author Topic: A Very Difficult Subject to Talk About  (Read 12807 times)

Colette

• Elite Boss
A Very Difficult Subject to Talk About
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:37:32 PM »

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
Re: A Very Difficult Subject to Talk About
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
+1

While it's a hard pill to swallow, Colette speaks the truth and articulates it well, I agree 100%.
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:52:18 PM »
No - I think this is a sensible precaution.

Know your enemy and the way he thinks. That's a basic tenet.

Sun Tsu of course said it best - "If you know others and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know others but know yourself, you win one and lose one; if you do not know others and do not know yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

Understand that as time goes on, and we keep hurting them, they will attempt to do to this board what I feel was the purpose of the unicorns on the old official boards. I think a few of them were actual plants.

Wingnaut

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »
I agree with everything you said Colette. In fact, just the other day I was sitting here...hold on a sec...*toggles self-censor on*...ok back. Anyway, I was sitting here reading the forums like I do everyday, and noticed a thread where several people were doing the same kind of bickering that I grew tired of on the CoH forums. I thought 'What the flagpole do these gumdrop pancakes think they are doing? Don't they know we need to be united and optomistic that we'll get our pancake game back instead of unicorning each other and causing a rainbow sprinkle storm?'.

Seriously though, I realize its a forum...and that debates are healthy. We just really need to remember that we have made ourselves very visible...and the changes that we are trying to make are not just for ourselves, but for the MMO community as a whole, and as such lots and lots of people are going to swing on by to see how we are doing. So I don't think it would hurt us any to put our best foot forward, straighten our giglines, and smile for the cameras.

Colette...I don't think your flipping out at all to want us to shine like the heroes and villians we are.  :)

Quinch

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:00:09 PM »
Well, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. Can't really find fault with your reasoning, although like you mentioned, we can't - and shouldn't - go and point fingers, instead focusing on the common goal, rather than division.

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:12:14 PM »

Quinch

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »
I approve of your choice of literature. And the quote.

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 06:30:32 PM »
I agree with everything you said Colette. In fact, just the other day I was sitting here...hold on a sec...*toggles self-censor on*...ok back. Anyway, I was sitting here reading the forums like I do everyday, and noticed a thread where several people were doing the same kind of bickering that I grew tired of on the CoH forums. I thought 'What the flagpole do these gumdrop pancakes think they are doing? Don't they know we need to be united and optomistic that we'll get our pancake game back instead of unicorning each other and causing a rainbow sprinkle storm?'.
Is it bad of me that the first thing I thought of when I read this was Shaennon Garrity's Skin Horse?

But, yes.  I am in agreement that even if NCsoft is not planting unicorns (and I don't think that they are, personally, but) we owe it to ourselves and our fellow CoH alumni/refugees to provide a united, solid, unimpeachable front.

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »
This isn't a difficult subject at all :)

Like it or not, we're a movement now and all of us represent SaveCOH.  This isn't the COX forums everything posted here has the potential of being quoted by some form of the press.  There's a spotlight on this forum so we need to  act as if the world is watching and behave accordingly. 

Simple easy and direct.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »
We went through a round of this about a month after Black Friday. It was a little bit more visceral, and there was more direct suspicion and paranoia, which was ironic, since we were getting what we had hoped for: new people. Now, we get a round or two of the die-hards from the Old Forums, and it's happening again.  It worked itself out, last time; I fully expect it to, this time.

Also, the MLP:FIM swear-fest was priceless! I'm showing that to my son, who is a shameless Brony, when he gets home from school. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 06:56:55 PM »
This is why I've been trying to insert little diplomatic hugs all around. Not because I think everyone is a child and doesn't know we should stick together, but because even the smallest show of impropriety by any one of us could ruin everything if it ends up spun just right.

That said, I hope I haven't annoyed anyone with that - I've just wanted to be helpful :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 07:18:27 PM »
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:10:46 PM by Little Green Frog »

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 07:44:50 PM »

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
This isn't a difficult subject at all :)

Like it or not, we're a movement now and all of us represent SaveCOH.  This isn't the COX forums everything posted here has the potential of being quoted by some form of the press.  There's a spotlight on this forum so we need to  act as if the world is watching and behave accordingly. 

I really don't think we're being watched by any press. (If only!) I think NCSoftheaded is probably monitoring, so they can get a heads-up if there's an emulator out there, because nothing says "Our corporate goal is the happiness of all mankind!" - or whatever their offical slogan is - like telling people "I don't want these toys, but you cannot have them either. Just because I don't want you having fun."

But other press, I doubt it.

Some of you seem to have mastered the Vulcan art of Kolinahr, and for that I congratulate you. Me, I am still mad as hell and plan to be for some time to come.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
Oh, we certainly can be furious and still behave. It's just a matter of picking the right place (ie not here) to let it out and the right targets. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
Congratulations, Colette. You just pointed out exactly why, even when some of you piss me off, I don't go in for petty cheap shots and personal attacks. Are there plants among us? Almost assuredly. How many of those plants will continue being plants if we refuse to give them ammunition? If we refuse to play their game?

We stay "Blue," and vent our anger and frustration in as constructive a manner as possible, and who knows? Today's planted insurgent might be tomorrow's ally. I know that if I'd been sent to destroy us, I'd be having second thoughts right now based on this community's representation of themselves.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 08:19:54 PM »
Some of you seem to have mastered the Vulcan art of Kolinahr, and for that I congratulate you. Me, I am still mad as hell and plan to be for some time to come.
As long as you are clear about your anger, then you are as much in-control as anyone.

My gaming-friends have never heard one of my incoherent swearing tirades because I don't hold down the ptt key when I'm doing it.

Andy

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »
While I suppose anything is possible, I doubt NCSoft is sending people onto these forums to purposely stir up trouble. The internet is notoriously good at self-combustion with little to no encouragement. ;)

Still, a reminder to be polite and respectful never hurts! We can debate or disagree with each other, but we can do so in a thoughtful and courteous manner. Is it possible to have a guideline for posting? I know the site admins and mods have a lot of work to do for a gig that's entirely volunteer. I always found having a succinct set of suggestions for posting to be useful and could cut down on confusion.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »
This is perfectly reasonable and indeed I've already trying to carry myself that way, censoring myself when necessary, ignoring things that annoy me. It -is- a difficult thing to talk about, but it's also a necessary one. Thanks Colette.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 09:26:13 PM »
While I suppose anything is possible, I doubt NCSoft is sending people onto these forums to purposely stir up trouble. The internet is notoriously good at self-combustion with little to no encouragement. ;)

Still, a reminder to be polite and respectful never hurts! We can debate or disagree with each other, but we can do so in a thoughtful and courteous manner. Is it possible to have a guideline for posting? I know the site admins and mods have a lot of work to do for a gig that's entirely volunteer. I always found having a succinct set of suggestions for posting to be useful and could cut down on confusion.
Perhaps not these forums as they're pretty specialized -- it's the more open ones, like mmorpg.com, where we would try to push our message out that are susceptible to social networking manipulation because the rest of the participants aren't necessarily as informed and, therefore, are more easily swayed by the types of tactics the OP suggests.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...