Author Topic: A Very Difficult Subject to Talk About  (Read 12808 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: A Very Difficult Subject to Talk About
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 10:21:27 PM »
I really don't think we're being watched by any press. (If only!) I think NCSoftheaded is probably monitoring, so they can get a heads-up if there's an emulator out there...

I've pointed this out to a few people privately:  If we really wanted to piss NCsoft off, we wouldn't be working on a City of Heroes server emulator.  We'd be working on a Blade and Soul or Guild Wars 2 server emulator.  I'm just sayin', if this is really a concern, it could be much worse.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »
...and that would be sheer evil genius. Hit 'em where it would REALLY hurt. Oh dear. Lol.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 12:02:23 AM »
Your post is just fine, Colette.

We all have a reason to play it safe, and to keep vigilant of our adversary, but I think Tony's post (top of this page) sums it up pretty well. They're focused on other games more.
- Omega Mk. V

Surelle

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »
Well, let's face it, these boards have been bombarded with new posters lately (myself included, actually, lol).  So I'm not surprised you might think that, Colette. But part of me doubts NCSoft Korea even cares about EU or NA, to the point where they wouldn't demean themselves by even checking the huge NA/EU gaming websites for NCSoft news, let alone one small NA forum.  But who knows for sure?  It can't hurt to be watchful, just in case.

Surelle

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 12:27:41 AM »
I've pointed this out to a few people privately:  If we really wanted to piss NCsoft off, we wouldn't be working on a City of Heroes server emulator.  We'd be working on a Blade and Soul or Guild Wars 2 server emulator.  I'm just sayin', if this is really a concern, it could be much worse.

Haha.  Wow, this is a most excellent point.  And hey, we're certainly not the only CoH players out there.  It makes you wonder if anybody truly vindictive has already begun such a project.  Let's face it, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to drum up support troops for something like that.

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 01:05:53 AM »
I think you made a good call Colette, a little intelligent caution never hurt anyone.

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 01:10:18 AM »
I don't think NCsoft is even aware of this forum, they certainly know almost nothing about the community.

And even if there were a handful of individuals, they've probably either been fired or are too busy trying to keep thir jobs to even think about browsing these forums.

As a company, they're just not that smart.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 01:17:17 AM »
The only thing I don't agree with in the OP is bringing up post count. Post count means diddly squat. Two examples from the official boards:

There were some people with 20k or 30k -- I think GG ended up with something ridiculously stupid like 60k posts (full disclosure: I think I ended with about 18k). Almost all of the people with that many posts did not get there by being paragons of intellect and thoughtfulness. There was a lot of +1s and winky faces out there with no content. There were people who lived in Forum Games. (Note: some people legitimately got high post count, but NO ONE got a high post count without occasionally devolving into fluff posts, lulz, +1s, or participating in unicorn behavior [giving or receiving].)

On the other hand, there were some people with post counts in the 100s that I paid attention to each one of their posts that I came across. They almost invariably added to the thread at hand. They nearly always had something thoughtful to say - not necessarily always in support of the 'majority vote'. They weren't there for the lulz or the fluffy stuff. They were there to support their game, their development team, and their community. They just didn't post unless they thought it was important.

Or...they were new. We all of us had low post counts at some point. You cannot haul someone up to the gallows for low post count. The only way you don't get low post count is to post through them.

Quality over quantity any day. Judge a person by what they post, not how many posts they have under their virtual belt. I'm tempted to recommend removing post count display entirely. I don't want the post count unicorns to start trotting that out (see what I did there). You folks have been remarkably good about not bringing post count up.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 01:18:01 AM »
I don't think NCsoft is even aware of this forum, they certainly know almost nothing about the community.

And even if there were a handful of individuals, they've probably either been fired or are too busy trying to keep thir jobs to even think about browsing these forums.

As a company, they're just not that smart.
I would really not count on the incompetence of our enemy as a strategy.  Shortly after the announced shutdown, when we first started protesting, I recall Zwillinger posting "You have their attention.  They are listening."

So even if it is NCLimp, I'm willing to bet that especially after that Korean Times article, they've looked in on us here at least once.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 01:24:16 AM »
I would really not count on the incompetence of our enemy as a strategy.  Shortly after the announced shutdown, when we first started protesting, I recall Zwillinger posting "You have their attention.  They are listening."

So even if it is NCLimp, I'm willing to bet that especially after that Korean Times article, they've looked in on us here at least once.

Assume your enemy is more intelligent than he appears. If you plan for all possibilities--even if they do not come to pass--and you are almost assured victory.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »
Assume your enemy is more intelligent than he appears. If you plan for all possibilities--even if they do not come to pass--and you are almost assured victory.
Quite, that's what I was trying to stress.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 01:35:10 AM »

When Tony posted emails of the higher ups here, they asked him to take them down.

They know where we live.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 01:45:14 AM »
When Tony posted emails of the higher ups here, they asked him to take them down.

They know where we live.

He also posted them on the official forums (and was sure that Zwillinger would have to ban him as a result).

Chances are that when they started getting emails, they told some subordinate to "find the leak", who delegated it to someone at NC Interactive, who called someone like Andy Belford or Jessie, who reluctantly had to tell them it was Tony who posted it. I doubt the higher ups even looked at the CoH forums, much less these.

Plus we've been blocking their corporate IPs at the firewall since the shutdown, so they'd have to do it from home or get their PR firm minions to do it for them.

Oops did I say that last part out loud.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 01:47:04 AM »
Clever, Codewalker. Very clever.

Mandrake

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 01:51:40 AM »
I agree with the OP and have in fact re-evaluated some of my recent discussions and decisions.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 01:59:54 AM »
Oh deftly played indeed, Codewalker!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 02:02:12 AM »
Hey Codewalker?

Flawless Victory.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 03:25:40 AM »
Nice, Codewalker.  Very nice indeed!

For the record, I am not a plant.  Even if I say something in their favor (like the recent post in the PTSD thread), I'm not NCSoft's lackey.    And I don't regret anything I've said.... well, maybe one or two things, but not in regards to NCSoft.  It's simple for me:

They offer nothing else I want.  I only want CoH.  I also will do my part to make sure they don't earn another dime from me, nor will Nexon, because of their collectively bad handling of the desire to no longer run the CoH servers and accounts.  I won't do anything bad, just definitely not in their favor, and if anyone asks me about playing something they offer, I'll tell them "You sure you wanna go through with that?" and explain myself.

And yeah, I sent an email to the head honchos back when.  Made sense to me, bad or not, I did it.  It was a little long, but definitely quickly readable, sensible, even contrite and pleasant.  And said, pretty much, what I just pointed out above: We're done here, you and me, NCSoft.  Sorry, that's all there is to it.

No hate.  Just distrust, non-understanding, and no desire to play with them ever again.  That's it.

If that makes me a marked person in NCSoft's eyes... meh.  What are they gonna do, not let me play?  Right.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 03:30:15 AM »
Ooo-oo-oo! Can I be broccoli? That's a plant, right?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 03:35:37 AM »
Hi all.

"Plus we've been blocking [NCSoft's] corporate IPs at the firewall since the shutdown."

:: HUGS Codewalker! :: That alone makes me feel soooo much better!

Okay, I wanna thank you for letting me get that off'a my back. I feel a whole lot better now. Glad y'all don't think I'm a nutcase... paranoia is NOT a good feeling. Brr!

And to a certain Frog, I rather owe you for bringing something I wasn't fully conscious of to a head. I plead temporary insanity.

KELP! Folks, please welcome Kelp Plankton, a good friend of mine from the game.

Illusionss, my head agrees with you, my gut says otherwise. I hope that makes sense?

Since I've made my point, I think we can move on. I have full confidence in our mods like Aggelakis to squealch the motiveless malignancy of the Common Internet unicorn. Now we've got our collective intelligence watching for the UNcommon one, I feel a heckuva lot safer.

One last reminder since I have everyone here. The shutdown notice had one word that I want everyone to heed. "Permanently." At the time of the shutdown, NCSoft had no intention of ever allowing anybody into Atlas Park again, ever! So if we are to change that, we have to work together and put up with each other.

Stay focused, stay frosty.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:41:36 AM by Colette »