Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 186934 times)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #680 on: August 24, 2013, 08:03:11 PM »
2-4-6-8

who do we appreciate?

GOLDEN GIRL...GOLDEN GIRL...YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GOLDEN GIRL!!!

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #681 on: August 24, 2013, 11:48:59 PM »
So, we're almost at 1 year since the closure announcement. How am I handling the loss at this time?

I try not to think about it. And when I do, I try to stay positive and remember the good times. Things like Titan ICON help a lot, but its only a fractional substitute for our beloved, lost gaming world.

And yeah...I too am still angry about it all.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #682 on: August 25, 2013, 01:57:38 AM »
It's 3:55 am here.  I'm trying to sleep, but I can't, because all I want to do is run some missions, maybe even an iTrial or two.  This is not the first time.

That's how I'm handling it: insomnia.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #683 on: August 25, 2013, 02:36:37 AM »
It's 3:55 am here.  I'm trying to sleep, but I can't, because all I want to do is run some missions, maybe even an iTrial or two.  This is not the first time.

That's how I'm handling it: insomnia.
that's every day for the last three weeks for me. "all I want to do is fracking log in and see people and run missions!"
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #684 on: August 25, 2013, 04:03:31 AM »
that's every day for the last three weeks for me. "all I want to do is fracking log in and see people and run missions!"
oh for me it's everytime I get bored of another game/drawing/writing. And then it's not there so I go, "I guess I'll go on youtube." Funny you'd think my productivity on my art would skyrocket without the game, but nope xD
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #685 on: August 25, 2013, 08:11:01 AM »
For so many of us, there is an empty spot that can't be filled with just anything. Having our City back would feel like having a lost piece of  the heart back.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #686 on: August 25, 2013, 05:21:46 PM »
I still find myself hurting.  Playing CO a few weeks back reopened a lot of old wounds.  So much so I can't even play around with Icon without feeling it.

I've been trying to lose myself in other games - mostly Risk of Rain and Don't Starve.  Stuff about as far from the superhero genre as I can get.

But... as the year anniversary of the shutdown announcement draws close, I find myself increasingly raw-of-nerve.  It's a bit hard to sleep sometimes because I'll get to thinking about the great stuff from CoH that I could be doing right now.  I've snapped at a few people for saying things about CoH that I didn't agree with.

I guess I'm still not taking it well.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #687 on: August 25, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »
Funny you'd think my productivity on my art would skyrocket without the game, but nope xD

I've found that when you enjoy what you're doing you can spend most of your time playing and still be productive at working. Your mind's being engaged, your creativity's being satisfied, you're just feeling good overall. Work and play both go better when you're having a good day.

But if you're bored and uninspired, you could have twice the time available and still get less done. You just sit there on your butt, feeling your brain go numb bit by bit, and you're well aware that an eternity is passing but somehow there's still never time to accomplish anything.

That's why I'm doing my damnedest to stay upbeat during all this. See, my Dad had a major stroke a couple years ago and now I'm looking after him. Health wise he's doing much better now but he still can't do things like meals or housework, so I simply can't afford to fall apart. If I give in to depression or bitterness and sink into a rut, he pays for it, and that's just not an option.

So I watch fun TV shows and Youtube channels. I play creative video games and immersive board games. I come here and make silly jokes so I can laugh, and maybe make someone else laugh a bit. Whatever it takes to stay positive, man. 'Cause giving up just ain't a choice for me.

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #688 on: August 25, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
I've found that when you enjoy what you're doing you can spend most of your time playing and still be productive at working. Your mind's being engaged, your creativity's being satisfied, you're just feeling good overall. Work and play both go better when you're having a good day.

But if you're bored and uninspired, you could have twice the time available and still get less done. You just sit there on your butt, feeling your brain go numb bit by bit, and you're well aware that an eternity is passing but somehow there's still never time to accomplish anything.

That's why I'm doing my damnedest to stay upbeat during all this. See, my Dad had a major stroke a couple years ago and now I'm looking after him. Health wise he's doing much better now but he still can't do things like meals or housework, so I simply can't afford to fall apart. If I give in to depression or bitterness and sink into a rut, he pays for it, and that's just not an option.

So I watch fun TV shows and Youtube channels. I play creative video games and immersive board games. I come here and make silly jokes so I can laugh, and maybe make someone else laugh a bit. Whatever it takes to stay positive, man. 'Cause giving up just ain't a choice for me.

You make a good point. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Hang in there man.
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

Kemphler

• Minion
« Reply #689 on: August 25, 2013, 07:15:42 PM »
Nearly one year post-announcement...Still angry and hurt. Got into an argument the other day with someone because I hadn't let go of a pair of my characters from City of Heroes and moved them into another game, even though what they were didn't match up with the game lore for RP purposes...It's...Why should I ever let go? I played CoH from just a few weeks after I turned 12, until the shutdown when I was a few months into being 20 years old. My entire teenage life was led by CoH. I didn't really have a social life outside of it....It's...still raw, it's still hurting.
"I intend to live forever, or die trying." - Groucho Marx

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #690 on: August 25, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »
Nearly one year post-announcement...Still angry and hurt. Got into an argument the other day with someone because I hadn't let go of a pair of my characters from City of Heroes and moved them into another game, even though what they were didn't match up with the game lore for RP purposes...It's...Why should I ever let go? I played CoH from just a few weeks after I turned 12, until the shutdown when I was a few months into being 20 years old. My entire teenage life was led by CoH. I didn't really have a social life outside of it....It's...still raw, it's still hurting.

You shouldn't let go. I know exactly how you feel. And I've had some people tell me to do the same. :/ But I don't want to let go. Might as well tell me (and you it seems) to let go of your home town.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #691 on: August 25, 2013, 07:26:57 PM »
As the 1 year anniversary of the announcement approaches, I aimlessly float from game to game, with no great interest in staying with one for long. Money I've spent on those games all this time gladly would have been given to NcSoft.   I still miss City of Heroes and crave to play it.

#SaveCoH
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #692 on: August 25, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »
You make a good point. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Hang in there man.

Thanks man. And believe me, I'm hanging in just fine. 'Cause what happened to Dad isn't even the worst thing that happened that month. Ten days before he went into the hospital for that stroke, Mom went in (on my frigging birthday no less) for complications due to her cancer. She passed a month later, and we couldn't even properly mourn because we had to stay strong for Dad. So believe me when I say, if THAT **** didn't destroy me, then there's no way a pack of dirtbags in fancy suits is ever gonna knock me down.

Our city may be closed to us for now, but there are already people working on our way back in, it's only a matter of time. We just need to find something to do while we wait. We stay positive, conserve our emotional energy, and if they ask us to help, we help.   Edit: And you know what else? Laugh. Laugh a lot. It helps.

Stay strong, everybody. We will stalk those streets and fly those skies again.

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #693 on: August 25, 2013, 08:24:06 PM »
Thanks man. And believe me, I'm hanging in just fine. 'Cause what happened to Dad isn't even the worst thing that happened that month. Ten days before he went into the hospital for that stroke, Mom went in (on my frigging birthday no less) for complications due to her cancer. She passed a month later, and we couldn't even properly mourn because we had to stay strong for Dad. So believe me when I say, if THAT **** didn't destroy me, then there's no way a pack of dirtbags in fancy suits is ever gonna knock me down.

Our city may be closed to us for now, but there are already people working on our way back in, it's only a matter of time. We just need to find something to do while we wait. We stay positive, conserve our emotional energy, and if they ask us to help, we help.   Edit: And you know what else? Laugh. Laugh a lot. It helps.

Stay strong, everybody. We will stalk those streets and fly those skies again.

Haha, yea. One day :3c Plus we have our memories. ^^ On the note of doing otherthings, there needs to be a group somewhere for us to play games together. ftp stuff, or some other games xD

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #694 on: August 26, 2013, 03:27:16 AM »
On the note of doing otherthings, there needs to be a group somewhere for us to play games together. ftp stuff, or some other games xD

I thought I heard there was a Steam group, but I don't do much on Steam so I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's worth starting one if there's not already though. And hey, hit up the Other Games section too, there might already be a group somewhere. *shrugs* Can't hurt to check. :)

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #695 on: August 26, 2013, 05:42:15 AM »
I thought I heard there was a Steam group, but I don't do much on Steam so I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's worth starting one if there's not already though. And hey, hit up the Other Games section too, there might already be a group somewhere. *shrugs* Can't hurt to check. :)

haha, yea I probably should xD

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #696 on: August 26, 2013, 06:08:07 AM »
City of Heroes! (Unofficial) is the group:  http://steamcommunity.com/groups/coh-unofficial
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #697 on: August 26, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #698 on: August 26, 2013, 03:06:10 PM »
Haha, yea. One day :3c Plus we have our memories. ^^
You are so very right. I was hit hard by the loss, but It was helped immensely by Icon and the work of the fantastic Syrusb Liz. Shameless promotion: she created this fantastic work of art for me to crystallize my memories and feelings:

It helped me with my loss, and I will always be grateful.

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #699 on: August 26, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
You are so very right. I was hit hard by the loss, but It was helped immensely by Icon and the work of the fantastic Syrusb Liz. Shameless promotion: she created this fantastic work of art for me to crystallize my memories and feelings:

It helped me with my loss, and I will always be grateful.

:o That's amazing. Kinda jealous xD JKJK

City of Heroes! (Unofficial) is the group:  http://steamcommunity.com/groups/coh-unofficial

*runs off to join* thank you for the link.