Author Topic: The Bard is Back!  (Read 47868 times)

Colette

• Elite Boss
Re: The Bard is Back!
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2012, 05:33:43 AM »
As Necrotechmaster rightly observes, we are all operating in a vacuum. We're trying to piece together the motives and intents of a company that no longer deigns to speak to us, and seems to want nothing more to do with us. Speaking for myself, the feeling is mutual. Anyway, there will be speculation, much of it wrong, but jumping on someone for speculating serves no purpose.

"Seriously, you told us that a guy who already is worth billions, and undersold some of his holding for just under a billion, is doing this to maybe one day retire with a billion?"

Well Ammon, Mr. Kim evidently believes his actions will make him richer. If he is "already worth billions," he will still seek another billion. The rich are often addicts -- addicted to money.

"If you harm that, by posting misleading bullshit...."

Ammon, I try to be tolerant and you do have a point, but your language is out of line. Lily is correct that infighting only serves NCSoft's ends, not ours. So I hope we can expect civility from all sides from now on, yes? Or, to paraphrase another bard, "be friends you fools! We have Korean foes enough."

"We still have so much to do."

There's the rub! For most of us, there really isn't a lot to do. Not a lot we can do. What we can do, legally, we have done. Chasearcanum's list is well taken and productive. But helplessness has been our worst enemy from the start.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:39:10 AM by Colette »

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2012, 06:43:57 AM »
Personally, if it meant that CoH would keep going, or even if it would increase its chance of continuing, I'd delete each and every alt I've made over the past six years without batting an eyelash.

That said... NCsoft's credibility is shot to pieces already, so even if they did, somehow, miraculously decide to restart the game, I'd be... skeptical at best.
I would happily start over with a clean slate. The fun, for me at least, is in the journey and in imagining the possibilities for characters.

I get about as much enjoyment making characters in PnP RPGs as I do actually playing those characters.

I'm fairly sure that most of the people that I played with wouldn't be too terribly upset to start over either.

I can always remake the characters that I currently have. Maybe, even correct some mistakes I had made in the process.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2012, 08:46:02 AM »
I would happily start over with a clean slate. The fun, for me at least, is in the journey and in imagining the possibilities for characters.

I get about as much enjoyment making characters in PnP RPGs as I do actually playing those characters.

I'm fairly sure that most of the people that I played with wouldn't be too terribly upset to start over either.

I can always remake the characters that I currently have. Maybe, even correct some mistakes I had made in the process.
I'd be saddened by the loss of all my IO'd 50's and my fully upgraded tier 9 VIP accounts with access to pretty much every costume piece in the game... not to mention I'd be hard pressed to ever recover my 50's due to work taking up so much time...  :-\
On the other hand, I generally play new concepts and power combinations anyway - so the loss of those 50's would only be annoying when new high level stuff comes out - and if I have to choose between starting over or losing the game forever... *sighs* Starting over it is... though I'd have been much enthusiastic about doing that on CoH2 or the like.
Either way, looking forward to the new project VV & Co!

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2012, 11:11:21 AM »

We still need to be turning up the volume, gathering more support.

Instead I see fewer and fewer comments and likes made to posts covering the story and linked to in the 'Thank the Media' call to action thread.

^^
This. The more traffic we drive to websites/magazines who had covered the campaign, the more likely the editors are to look at their stats, see there's an interest in the story and run more on it. This is even more likely if we're interacting with them, leaving comments and likes.

I know that it feels like so many parts of the media are ignoring us since NC Soft claimed they'd 'exhausted' all options, but we need to be putting pressure on the magazines to investigate the claims NC Soft made about exhausting themselves. We need to be shouting about the great stuff we're doing, like the real world hero drive.

If it doesn't look like WE'RE interested in the coverage we're getting, how can we expect the press and the blogs and the website to be interested in us?

Please, please, please a billion times over.. please swing by the 'thank the media thread' and leave a comment on the articles that have been written about us. Find the 'NC Soft say they exhausted all options' articles and ask what investigation they did into that claim, or if they just copy and pasted NC Soft's statement. Call them out publicly, so they HAVE to respond, or follow up on it.

If you put pressure on a journalist, they will, in turn, put pressure on NC Soft. Or write an article about how they ignored them, or wouldn't respond to comments, which puts pressure on NC Soft.

If anyone is looking for something to do, I am desperate for bloggers and game journalists to rework and find a home for the 'firewall of silence' press release I put up. PLEASE PM me if you've got a blog, or write for a gaming site, or think you can help with this?

--

I know things are getting harder, and I know a lot of people feel like their flagging a little.

I know it's been forever since we've had an official call to action, so it's left a lot of people who are very angry and upset in the same place, trying to work out what's going on and without a call to action, there's all that pent-up frustration bouncing around, without an outlet, or without being steered in a particular direction. That's bound to lead to short tempers and spats.

But we're all on the same side, and we all want the same thing. Even if we don't always see eye-to-eye as to how we're going to get there.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »
Hey, rae, speaking of "NCSoft ignored us" articles, did that one your friend/publisher/editor/person-of-note was writing ever get printed? I know they were waiting on a (non-)reply from NCSoft, last I heard.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »
Also, check out Terwyn's blog on the Voices articles. I suggest cross-linking them in the comments anybody makes, especially comments on otherwise-short articles that might just be repeating NCSoft's pablum about how sorry they are for drowning this puppy and how hard they tried to stop holding it under, but ask that we stop pointing out that it's still struggling and instead enjoy our memories of how much fun we had with it before it was held under the water.

It is relevant and, if I know his work, going to be more-than-adequately cited, and will thus be valid for cross-linking. That it also has positive impact on search engine results regarding our cause is a nice bonus.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2012, 01:51:44 PM »
Hey, rae, speaking of "NCSoft ignored us" articles, did that one your friend/publisher/editor/person-of-note was writing ever get printed? I know they were waiting on a (non-)reply from NCSoft, last I heard.
I'm fairly sure I saw an article that said they waited for a while for a response from NCSoft, hmm, the Starburst one maybe?

Edit:
Quote from: Jordan Royce
I can confirm that on the 23rd of October 2012 I personally emailed them and asked for their in depth response on exactly what efforts had been made to sell the game, and continue the community for the fans. I informed them that I would be running this article, but they did not even have the decency to reply.
That's the one I was thinking of.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »
Yeah, that'd be the "Boycot NCSoft" article from Starburst Magazine, as discussed in this thread: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6187.0.html

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »
Close! The one my friend wrote is here:

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/gaming-news/3867-gaming-news-city-of-heroes-update

And can be commented on :)

The editorial was an unexpected, and very gratefully received bonus.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2012, 07:16:14 PM »
Quinch, Rae, Ammon and I are working on a "this is a crazy idea, but it just might work."  I've been a bit out of the loop due to World Fantasy Convention in Toronto (we drove--Tulsa to Toronto and back again) but I am home now and we should have something in a few days for you to hit the ground running with.

Additionally, Larry is going to hit up a very interesting contact of his with a variation of the "crazy idea"--a plan he came up with today.  So, hang in there, get ready to weather the dark days of December, and keep that pressure on NCSoft.

Hope you and everyone had an amazingly wonderful time at the World Fantasy Convention in Toronto.   And Yay to having an Out of the Box Idea That Just Might Work!  Ditto for Larry's variation of said idea.  If the idea involves us, super!  F7!  Ready!  ;-)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »
Alright! Hope it's a great crazy idea! Cool!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »
Indeed!  I'm looking forward to this.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »
I just saw this on the official forums:  http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=298415

Join Rich (AKA Pogoman) for another episode as he discusses the plight of the greatest MMORPG players community and their battle to save their beloved game. This week, a very special guest. The world renowned author, Mercedes Lackey, calls in!! She is also known as Victoria Victrix on the COH and Titan Network boards.
Join us here, 7pm EST, this Friday night for Save City of Heroes Radio!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theelf/...save-coh-radio

If you would like to join in the chat, please take a few minutes ahead of time and sign up for a FREE blogtalk radio account.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2012, 12:57:56 AM »
I, too, cannot reveal my source, but it is solid, and I hope you will accept my credibility at this point.  Let's just say I had an interesting afternoon gathering information.

Fansy's source is correct.  The reason that the game "must" be shut down before it can be sold is because of perceived legal problems and liabilities on the part of the NCSoft legal department.  (It's not lawsuits or potential lawsuits with Marvel, but other issues regarding ownership).  Apparently dealing with the Garriott case scared the whey out of them, and they are now jumping at imagined shadows.  They won't even consider selling until it is officially "dead."

The bad news: the game will close Nov 30.
The good news: it can rise from the ashes.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:11:17 AM by Victoria Victrix »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2012, 01:22:25 AM »
I, too, cannot reveal my source, but it is solid, and I hope you will accept my credibility at this point.  Let's just say I had an interesting afternoon gathering information.

Fansy's source is correct.  The reason that the game "must" be shut down before it can be sold is because of perceived legal problems and liabilities on the part of the NCSoft legal department.  (It's not lawsuits or potential lawsuits with Marvel, but other issues regarding ownership).  Apparently dealing with the Garriott case scared the whey out of them, and they are now jumping at imagined shadows.  They won't even consider selling until it is officially "dead."

Thank you very much for the Good News/Bad News.  I think you're among the most credible posting to these forums.  Thank you for all you've done and are doing to help save City of Heroes and to keep your fellow fans informed.  You're one in a million, Ms. Lackey!  Thank you!!

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2012, 01:32:19 AM »

Coming from you it's definitely more credible than others.  I hope the asking price then is something sane.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2012, 01:46:49 AM »

Can I post this too? :P

EDIT: Ok, it seems someone already has.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »
About 4 times there, GG, counting you and I.  ;D
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2012, 03:02:33 AM »

In all honesty I have no sources whatsoever but there was a post on the official forums several months ago that basically said the very same thing. There were certain legal hang ups with the sale and apparently as I understand it NC Soft wouldnt sell before the closing unless the company buying the game would take on all the responsibility for potential legal issues. And thus no one would buy the game because of that...

again I am no one.. have no sources... this is just what I read buried somewhere on a thread months ago..

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2012, 03:21:04 AM »
Lotta unicorns sniffing around the thread on the main boards. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."