Author Topic: The Bard is Back!  (Read 47706 times)

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
Re: The Bard is Back!
« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
To be fair, Lucas Arts is responsible for what happened to Galaxies by asking a ridiculous price to renew the license so that they wouldn't have competition for SWtOR.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #201 on: November 20, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
To be fair, Lucas Arts is responsible for what happened to Galaxies by asking a ridiculous price to renew the license so that they wouldn't have competition for SWtOR.
That was just the final closure though - I think most SWG players would say SOE is to be blame for crippling the game long before any talk of closure, back when they added the "New Game Enhancement".

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
Sounds like they were told to make it work this way...

Like you said cmgangrel it basically was changed to operate like how Knights of the old republic is now.  So maybe it was not the studio's choice either, but the Lucas Arts guys saying "Hey we don't like how things are we like to see it operate like this"... and boom New Game Enhancement.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #203 on: November 20, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »
Who in their right mind would release a paid expansion just 2 weeks before you release a redo of the game that would basically make most of that content irrelevant?
The same kind of people who would introduce a new powerset a few days before announcing the cancellation of the game? *rimshot*

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2012, 08:56:58 AM »
How about the Jack Kirby aura the night before!

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2012, 10:07:10 AM »
I believe that was Paragon Studios decision and not NCsofts...
I understand that but it just shows how blindsided the Paragon Studio was.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2012, 01:52:02 PM »
I think putting up yet more images of I24 only a few hours before the shutdown was announced is proof of how blindsided they were.  (As if releasing a new powerset and putting up job postings a week before wasn't proof enough)

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
3. CO - because it's the only superhero world left.. tho I really don't like their combat system
Actually, there's still DCU online...

I will not support anything SOE does because of what they did to Star Wars Galaxies. I will support their players as I hope they support us.
Although given this sentence, perhaps its less a matter of overlooking and more a matter of disregarding entirely. Which is understandable given your circumstance.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »
I'm wondering if the Bard, Fansy, has any update for us....   Even better if it should happen to be good news, or even simply a re-iteration that non-pancakes at NCSoft remain sympathetic if thus far powerless to assist us.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2012, 02:31:02 PM »
Pretty sure Fansy said he was moving on, so I imagine he's not checking this site any more.

Surelle

« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »
Pretty sure Fansy said he was moving on, so I imagine he's not checking this site any more.

It's kind of weird that he would cause such a commotion, and in such odd language to boot, lol, then vanish.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »
Does anyone really know if the actual person is still here, and only the persona has gone? Can anyone here really say they know the guy? Maybe he's not even a guy... ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #212 on: December 13, 2012, 05:18:48 PM »

/this, and according to his profile page says he hasnt been logged in since dec 1

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #213 on: December 13, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »
He is the enigmatic bard after all. :roll:
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #214 on: December 13, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »
I would not take anything Fansy says all that seriously, although he can be amusing, his claim to fame does not exactly involve exemplary behavior.

I'd love for what he says to be true, but I would not bet a dollar on it.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #215 on: December 13, 2012, 08:29:57 PM »
Just going to chime in here quickly about SOE and SWG and Lucas Arts.

It is common for people to toss the blame onto Lucas Arts, but I've never seen any actual proof or evidence of the claims that LA made them do this or that or that LA made ridiculous requests, demands and such (please point me to these tell-all reveals if I have missed them).

In my opinion though, it really doesn't change anything...
If I'm SOE, whatever I do is on ME. SOE is who I was paying and acquiring my service from. The way that they handled things after the launch of that game was ridiculous... the way that they tried to fix it with the Combat Upgrade was not-so-great and the way that they sprung the NGE and completely destroyed what that game was before it... is a monstrous debacle and nothing can ever separate SOE's responsibility from that.
They had power to work things out in their house and handle whatever demands they may or may not have been getting to make things work well.
Shifting blame about how the game was developed/altered/ruined away from the studio that was doing that development is, quite simply, nonsense.
I don't even necessarily believe any bit of the claims that LA made those demands... but, even if they did... have some pancacking guys and integrity in how you respond and how you manage your game.

Cut SOE no slack in this regard.

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #216 on: December 13, 2012, 10:54:27 PM »
I would not take anything Fansy says all that seriously, although he can be amusing, his claim to fame does not exactly involve exemplary behavior.

I'd love for what he says to be true, but I would not bet a dollar on it.

most of what he has said was confirmed by mercedes lackey as well, although personally i didnt really take him fully seriously either and his writing was annoyingly hard to understand

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #217 on: December 13, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »
That was just the final closure though - I think most SWG players would say SOE is to be blame for crippling the game long before any talk of closure, back when they added the "New Game Enhancement".

Equally unfair, as the NGE was most likely caused by another "OMGZ ITS STAR WARS AND NOT BEATING WOW!" tantrum by LA.

And... if SOE had full ownership of the IP, SWG would still be alive today.

And frankly if I'm not mistaken, both of SOE's biggest gaming disasters were games based on licensed IP's. That's probably not just a coincidence.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #218 on: December 14, 2012, 12:13:44 AM »
And... if SOE had full ownership of the IP, SWG would still be alive today.

And frankly if I'm not mistaken, both of SOE's biggest gaming disasters were games based on licensed IP's. That's probably not just a coincidence.

Developers tend not to ruin games that often, compared to the publishers.

For example: EA ruined Battlefield by making it copy Call of Duty. Ubisoft ruined Tom Clancy titles by 'appealing to the main market' rather than focusing on tactical shooters. LucasArts ruined SWG, and cancelled Battlefront 3. Blizzard released Diablo 3 with bad issues. Etc...
- Omega Mk. V

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2012, 03:39:53 AM »
Umm So the Bard left the day after . . sounds and feels kinda fishy . . wonder if the Bard is now busy off in other NCsoft game community singing songs of wait and see.