Author Topic: The Bard is Back!  (Read 47890 times)

pewlagon

• Boss
Re: The Bard is Back!
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2012, 10:49:40 PM »
My sentiments, exactly, VV. CoH was never cared for as it should have been in their hands. All the missed marketing potential is just ridiculous. All the accomplishments and world records were treated like "oh, that's nice" by NcSoft when they should have been waving a flag going, "Oh, yeah! We have this! Or. Well, we did it first." Not to mention that people would have paid good money for soundtrack releases. Just a sad mismanaged company, NcSoft. Here's to hoping our game gets a better home.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »
At this point I am so furious with them that I frankly do not give a damn about their motivations.  I just want the game--and studio!--in the hands of someone who will foster it instead of throwing it under a bus, and will give us CoH2 at some point in the future.  If that happens, NCSoft can prosper in spite of itself or die a deserved death, because it will be irrelevant to me.

I'm at this point, too, really.
I was just kinda curious after reading some of the cultural-perspective threads. 

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2012, 01:58:11 AM »
Don't be so sure on that... there will always be a few members who will still keep on their current path against NCSoft.
Of course, but that's not really inconsistent with what you quoted ("...most of us...").

I won't go out of my way to say unpleasant things about NCSoft if they let CoH go after it closes.  I still won't feel great about them, or what they did to the PS folks, but I won't be tempted to actively badmouth them as a company and I may even try another game that they publish.  I've got friends who really enjoy GW2, but as things stand I'll never go anywhere near it.  I'm not sure I would if they sold CoH, but I'd at least consider it.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2012, 02:58:08 AM »
I have made no secret of my antipathy for the other products in NCSoftcore's stable. If they release our game to another publisher and would someday come out with something that looks interesting, i would consider it. If they bury our game, the bridge is burned.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2012, 04:36:16 AM »
Fool once, fool me twice...how many times are you going to let them pull the rug out from under you?  I feel very, very sorry for Carbine.  Wildstar looked like fun.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2012, 04:57:07 AM »
My attitude to the other products in NCSoft's stable is support for the players and the developers. I don't want them to go through what we are going through. NCSoft just profits off of their participation and labor as far as I'm concerned.  Hell, there are probably people at NCSoft itself that I'd probably come to care about. But it's the ones in charge that have my ire.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2012, 05:05:46 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, no matter what happens, they did what they did.
They can certainly better their standing in my mind. And I also recognize that my opinion of them holds little import to them and their other products.
However, this whole situation could have been handled so much better... and yeah, it's not like many of us weren't frustrated with the lack of advertising and general cloud of obscurement that was over this wonderful game so many of us loved.
We may have referred to the culprits as "marketing", but, let's face it... it was NCSoft.

You can't undo the past three months.
This game, our community and that studio (especially) didn't deserve the abrupt dumping that NCSoft delivered.

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2012, 05:31:54 AM »
ncsoft will not be able to redeem themselves to me

IMO they already screwed up enough that they will never get money from me again, regardless if coh is saved or not

however if coh is saved then it will be a more personal boycott than actively badmouthing them

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2012, 05:54:46 AM »
I never said anything about redemption. I said I would consider. I will not be subscribing, to be sure. As it stands, I'm leery of buying points for any game's store, due to a past security issue with CO that wiped my (albeit free) characters. I also keep getting "your account has been locked due to suspicious activity" from Blizzard for an account that hasn't been active for more than a year, so they don't get any more of my money...

To quote Wreck-It Ralph, "One game at a time."
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Badaxe

• Underling
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2012, 06:49:34 AM »
Fool once, fool me twice...how many times are you going to let them pull the rug out from under you?  I feel very, very sorry for Carbine.  Wildstar looked like fun.

Yep it's a pity, it did look like it was going to be a fun game (even despite the recent changes they made to it). One game I was looking forward to six months ago, but no more :(

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2012, 01:47:03 AM »
Don't be so sure on that... there will always be a few members who will still keep on their current path against NCSoft.
I will not certainly not be their biggest fan even if the game survives in some capacity.  I will probably abandon any crusades against their livelihood, but if anyone ever asks about or mentions NCsoft in my company they'd best be prepared for a tirade. I guess I'm just bitter like that.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2012, 04:35:44 AM »
Well, it's not a superhero game, but I will say this: Star Trek Online is fun. And it has some familiar people working for it. :)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2012, 04:45:51 AM »
I sign up for Star Trek online soon.  Was going to check out The Secret World, but it seems not to have a Free to Play feature.  That seems odd to me given the style of subject of the secret world having Free to play would help get the curious but not ready to commit a chance to check it out.  Like me.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2012, 05:01:13 AM »
I sign up for Star Trek online soon.  Was going to check out The Secret World, but it seems not to have a Free to Play feature.  That seems odd to me given the style of subject of the secret world having Free to play would help get the curious but not ready to commit a chance to check it out.  Like me.

They have a 7-day trial that you can extend by 3 days if you complete 30 missions during your trial (and free cash shop points if you subscribe after the trial)
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Elfin

• Lieutenant
  • Never Fear Elfin Is Here
    • Ken's Super Sci Fi Page
« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2012, 07:03:39 AM »
Like I have said before I have played City Of Heroes for 6 years. I started playing COH when I was 39. I have played video games before( Huge Tomb Raider Fan & Half Life) COH but no MMOs. Since COH I have played nothing but COH. Now NCSoft forces me to look else where, and wow so many choices. No NONE of them are COH. If I compare them to COH I will never find anything that won't leave a bad taste in my mouth. I have to judge them on there own merits.
So remember when I talk of these Games COH is Top Notch, Top of the scale without question, and no matter how much I like any of these other games they are not COH.
Anyway Champions Online. Its okay I still need to play it more right now its just okay. DCUO I love but then again thats just me. It helps that I am a huge Superman and DC Comics fan.
Star Trek Online, I like the away missions I hate the space battles. I am a Trekkie from way back so I do like it though.
I have spent a lot of time today playing Star Wars The Old Republic.
I still want to try Conan and Lord Of The Rings and maybe Dungeons and Dragons. I would like to try Secret World, but I don't want to pay for it.
So right now I rate them like this, but this is just me. No one is going to tell you what you are going to like based on what any of us say. You are going to have to spend time playing these, and Judge for yourself.

1. Always City Of Heroes
2. DC Universe Online
3. Star Wars The Old Republic
4. Star Trek Online
5. Champions Online
6. Still need to try The Lord Of The Rings
7. Still need to Try Conan
8. Still need to try Dungeons & Dragons

Again everyone has different feelings on these. The only way for you to find out what you like is to try them try them all. Play each one of them at least through lvl 10.

None of these will ever captivate me like COH did. In the warm weather none of these will do cause I will be on the Harley. I was not an MMO player when I found City Of Heroes. I am still not really an MMO player. Just looking to fill the void at least a little that the passing of COH has left.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2012, 07:08:14 AM »
Do you mean Dungeons & Dragons or Dungeons & Dragons Online? Not the same thing.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Elfin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2012, 07:15:25 AM »

Elfin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2012, 07:19:15 AM »
 I may try that 10 day Secret World thing. I am doing all this and even subscribed to DCUO all the while having my fingers crossed that this is not another NCSoft plot. Cause if COH comes back all these other games are gona take a back seat. Ii just played with both of my COH accounts for several hours and had way more fun then in any of the before mentioned games.

Elfin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2012, 07:22:47 AM »
Also on the advertising thing. Every time I would see a commercial or magazine advertisement for World Of Warcraft I would get so pissed cause City Of heroes wasn't being advertised. When I knew if they would there would be so many more players. I was talking about City Of heroes and our situation on DC Universe and they hadn't even heard of COH. Damn makes me mad just talking about it.

NeutronPixie

• Underling
« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »
I've been in CoH since pre-beta.. don't need to say more.

1. Coh
2. TSW - I find their questing system interesting
3. CO - because it's the only superhero world left.. tho I really don't like their combat system

I will not support anything SOE does because of what they did to Star Wars Galaxies. I will support their players as I hope they support us.

I will not support anything else NCSOft does.. ever. They have shown the awful disregard and contempt for their players that I've seen in other MMO developers. I will not give them another dime... ever.