Author Topic: The Bard is Back!  (Read 47698 times)

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
Re: The Bard is Back!
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2012, 06:29:07 AM »
genuinely believing we have a real chance at getting it back.
Don't get too excited.  While this is indeed a real chance, it is still a slim one.  We still have to find someone willing to pay millions of dollars for a closed game that is 9 years old and had a dwindling subscription base.  At a time when people in the business are saying the days of the MMO are over.

Of course, the dwindling subs were covered by the addition of microtransactions, but that requires that a potential purchaser be interested enough to look into the details past the not-so-attractive obvious.  That, above all, is why we need to keep showing that there is demand and market for the game.

eviella

• Minion
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2012, 06:36:39 AM »
Well, until Dec 1 I'm sticking with Plan A to show demand:  I'm PLAYING the game, every day.  In fact I'm typing this as we wait for the last couple players to alt for our Khan TF.

I'll report in on Dec 1 for the next steps to show demand.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2012, 06:48:05 AM »
Lower.

If we can keep the pressure on, I seriously believe that a price under the lowest end would be attainable.  For $10 million, I think they'd be able to set up a studio, the servers, and hire developers too.  Basically, up and running for $10 mil, so just add in some marketing budget.
10 mil was the amount that NCSoft originally bought the game from Cryptic studios for. But that included staff, active accounts, and a working game with servers. What this will be will be some code extensions to the base engine, the graphics and sound, the client code, and that's about it. The original engine is VERY dated. Current appraisals are much, much lower.

I can't say more.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
10 mil was the amount that NCSoft originally bought the game from Cryptic studios for. But that included staff, active accounts, and a working game with servers.
I thought NCsoft bought out Cryptic's share of the game, where NCsoft already had a sizeable stake?

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2012, 07:10:47 AM »
supposedly i heard valve had offered $3 mil to buy coh, based on the sayings of what may happen i speculate that valve could potentially return with the same offer, or try to haggle if its $10 mil

either way im pretty sure something is bound to happen come dec 1

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2012, 07:56:54 AM »
You know what?  There is NO harm in launching another round of "Please buy CoH" at Valve, specifying that the rules will have changed come December 1, while Team Wildcard works on our pitch.  I don't think any of us actually care WHO gets CoH as long as it's someone that will take care of it.
I was thinking of something similar yesterday, some kind of petition that addresses publishers/game studios at large to purchase CoH once its on the table.
More of a call out than a petition. :P

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2012, 08:11:58 AM »
Well, until Dec 1 I'm sticking with Plan A to show demand:  I'm PLAYING the game, every day. 
...snip...
I'll report in on Dec 1 for the next steps to show demand.

Same here.  If our hopes come to naught, I'll have gotten all the time I can out of CoH.

But I hope they come to more than naught.  Thank you to all involved for giving us hope, no matter how slim.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2012, 08:18:01 AM »
Don't get too excited.  While this is indeed a real chance, it is still a slim one.  We still have to find someone willing to pay millions of dollars for a closed game that is 9 years old and had a dwindling subscription base.  At a time when people in the business are saying the days of the MMO are over.
Of course, the dwindling subs were covered by the addition of microtransactions, but that requires that a potential purchaser be interested enough to look into the details past the not-so-attractive obvious.  That, above all, is why we need to keep showing that there is demand and market for the game.
I wonder when someone is going to realize that the whole "mobile" revolution could actually enhance MMO's, I imagine a savvy entrepeneur could make some kind of "mini-game" app that ties in to the bigger MMO, letting players continue to "advance" in some way even as they are commuting to work, during their lunch breaks and even during slow days at work.
Unless I'm mistaken plenty of Xbox360 games have already done this, I remember some app for Fable 2 (or 3?) where you could earn money in the downloadable app and then later transfer it to your game.

AFAIK Blizzard is currently the only MMO that does something approaching this, you can get an app that lets you use your guild's guildchat from a mobile device*, lets you manage your Auctions and you can browse the Armory.
I know SWTOR wanted to do something similar, like a system where you could send out your companions on their gathering/crafting/mission skills - but they never pursued it (or it's something that's still under wraps).
Heck, you could even tie it in with a browser game that works on both desktops and mobile devices.

* It even shows guildies that this person is using a mobile chat by adding an icon to their name - so they know not to invite them to groups and such =P
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:28:09 AM by Knightslayer »

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2012, 02:01:25 PM »
I wonder when someone is going to realize that the whole "mobile" revolution could actually enhance MMO's, I imagine a savvy entrepeneur could make some kind of "mini-game" app that ties in to the bigger MMO, letting players continue to "advance" in some way even as they are commuting to work, during their lunch breaks and even during slow days at work.
Unless I'm mistaken plenty of Xbox360 games have already done this, I remember some app for Fable 2 (or 3?) where you could earn money in the downloadable app and then later transfer it to your game.
Co-incidentally, Plan Z has been throwing about at least two mobile-game tie-ins for the final game, at least one of which likely would be up and running much, much sooner than the final MMO just to get some active revenue stream.

I will have to approach my employer again about the possibility; if it's really going to be going for fire-sale prices, my purposes could be quite adequately served by restoring CoX to its playerbase, and interesting new advances can come of this...

I will also need to pay close attention to who IS making bids. Whoever the final Producer for Plan Z Studios is, he'll want to know how to position the fledgling company wrt the new owner of CoX. We don't want to be in competition with them, as that defeats a large portion of our purpose in initiating the project in the first place. So we'll see what their plans are, and make our own decisions accordingly.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »
Co-incidentally, Plan Z has been throwing about at least two mobile-game tie-ins for the final game, at least one of which likely would be up and running much, much sooner than the final MMO just to get some active revenue stream.
Cool! I'll have to read up on those! And yeah, alternate revenue streams are always a good thing (especially ones that simultaneously promote the final product :D).

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2012, 03:45:31 PM »
supposedly i heard valve had offered $3 mil to buy coh, based on the sayings of what may happen i speculate that valve could potentially return with the same offer, or try to haggle if its $10 mil

either way im pretty sure something is bound to happen come dec 1

Awesome!

Just think of all the possible hats!

... jk ;)
- Omega Mk. V

Quinch

« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
To steal a quote from Tremblay on general forums;

"Valve, as the owner of the greatest free-to-play combat-based hat simulator of all times, Team Fortress 2, should really consider adding to its roster the greatest free-to-play superhero-based costume simulator of all times, City of Heroes."

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »
Valve! Valve! Valve!

Yes, that would indeed be awesome!

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »
I know I've used this quote before, but yet again it fits:

"It's not the despair, I can handle the despair.  It's the hope that's killing me."

In my case, I think it's more the rapid swings between the two; that kind of emotional workout makes me feel exhausted.

And so I'm sitting here not-quite-crying, because I've gone in the past few days from "what we are doing is worthwhile even if we don't get our game and community back" to genuinely believing we have a real chance at getting it back. 

I guess I'm not alone in that.

Thank you all yet again; we'll see what happens.  And I'll never doubt that what we're doing matters.

Neither will I, and I never have.

Fansy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »
Hail!

I was asked by so many once again who I was in game and that comes with the name F A N S Y
and yes the global is @F A N S Y!

I enjoy the channels: Justice United, and Cape Radio! So please, join them!

I was also asked to let the fine people know (in a forum broadcast) when I am online! Guess what? I am currently playing with a great bunch of people who are learning why bringing a Bard along may not be the wisest decision because no matter how much you sing to an Arch-Villain the result is always the same.

I was on Justice Server, transplanted to Freedom, adventured on VIP and now am on Virtue. If you wish to drop me a line or team feel free to grab me up for whatever it is you may be doing as long as you don't mind a swarm of debt. It will come, my friend.

There you have it, I shall be singing in game for a little longer.

Pretending to own face,
Fansy

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »
Hail!

I was asked by so many once again who I was in game and that comes with the name F A N S Y
and yes the global is @F A N S Y!

I enjoy the channels: Justice United, and Cape Radio! So please, join them!

I was also asked to let the fine people know (in a forum broadcast) when I am online! Guess what? I am currently playing with a great bunch of people who are learning why bringing a Bard along may not be the wisest decision because no matter how much you sing to an Arch-Villain the result is always the same.

I was on Justice Server, transplanted to Freedom, adventured on VIP and now am on Virtue. If you wish to drop me a line or team feel free to grab me up for whatever it is you may be doing as long as you don't mind a swarm of debt. It will come, my friend.

There you have it, I shall be singing in game for a little longer.

Pretending to own face,
Fansy

Hi Fansy!  Nice to see you on these as well as the official forums as well as on Justice United (JU) chat channel earlier today/last night.  I'd be happy to team with you!  Thanks for all you've done for us.  Re: "a swarm of debt" LOL  I don't fear debt, and can earn it off fast enough!  My global is the rather cumbersome: @Kristoff von Gelmini  who was my second character and my first 50 who's still on Infinity, but I have characters on almost all English language servers (though my best characters are on Justice and Victory.)  I'm glad you enjoy CoH enough not just to help out our efforts it but also to play!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
I've got this confirmed. 

The asking price for City will drop exponentially from the reported 80 million when it closes.  I have the feeling that the 80 million actually included an exponential amount of padding to deal with those chimerical "legal issues"--after twice losing the Garriott case, I speculate they wanted enough in the bank to pay out without hurting.  Once it's closed, all those issues go away, and the price goes to something reasonable.

Sale will include the IP and code.  The game engine was bought outright from Cryptic when NCSoft bought City (I have this from another impeccable source who was working at Cryptic when the sale happened).

What is NOT known is whether account and character data are going to be preserved.  No one knows this except NCSoft.  Archiving your characters via Sentinel + might prove the only way to restore them--I can only say that one would hope that in the event that character data is deleted, a new owner would see the wisdom of doing a one-time restore for those that have done so, but that will depend on the generosity of a new owner.

Thank you as always for bringing us news, especially news as welcome as this!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »
Still... some part of my brain (the Annoying Nagging Doubt region) is wondering if NCsoft is just saying the game will be more sell-able after the closure to lighten the ton of bricks we'd planned to drop on them on Dec. 1st.  They already gave us that bit about "exhausting all (selling) options" to try to quiet us down.  I'm too emotionally vulnerable and too distrusting of NCsoft to give up my grain of salt until I see more details on this deal.

I just had another thought on this that I'd like to bounce off you guys:

Perhaps NCsoft is trying to save face by finding a way to sell the game without looking like they're caving in to pressure.  By saying there were legal complications that made it impossible to sell before the shutdown, they accomplish this.

What do you think?

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »
I think most of us will let them off with pretty much any excuse as long as they make it possible for the game to continue under someone else's ownership.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »
I just had another thought on this that I'd like to bounce off you guys:

Perhaps NCsoft is trying to save face by finding a way to sell the game without looking like they're caving in to pressure.  By saying there were legal complications that made it impossible to sell before the shutdown, they accomplish this.

What do you think?

At this point I am so furious with them that I frankly do not give a damn about their motivations.  I just want the game--and studio!--in the hands of someone who will foster it instead of throwing it under a bus, and will give us CoH2 at some point in the future.  If that happens, NCSoft can prosper in spite of itself or die a deserved death, because it will be irrelevant to me.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido