Author Topic: Reply from NCSoft  (Read 59177 times)

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
Reply from NCSoft
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
Hi there. I hope this has not been posted yet but it seems very new so far. A week or so ago - 2 at the most i posted this on the NCSoft FB page -

우리는 영웅이되는 법이지
 이런 우리가 할 일입니다!
당신은 듣게 될 것입니다 우리의 목소리!!
우리는 멈추지 않을거야!!!
저장 우리의 시티 의 영웅!!!!

Which essentially means -

We are heroes.
This is what we do!
You will hear our voice!
We're not going to stop!
Save our city of heroes!!

Today i recieved this reply, seen at least 1 other person got it too -

Dear NCSOFT Facebook Fan,
We feel immense gratitude towards your love and enthusiasm of 'City of Heroes'. It has been quite the privilege and we would like to thank you all. 'City of Heroes' is the world's first and best Super Heroes MMORPG. It has received unconditional love for more than 8 years and it is like a family member of this company.
However, to provide a better game and service in the future, we have made the tough decision to discontinue the game. It was very hard on all of us here at NCSOFT.
NCSOFT will strive for a better game and superior service and anticipates the day that we will meet again. We are confident that we will not look back towards today's choice with regret.
Lastly, for the users who enjoy other games of NCSOFT, we would greatly appreciate it if you can hold back the negative and hurtful comments.
Thank you very much.

This is my reply -

Thank you for your reply. Whilst i appreciate the fact that i may never have played City of Heroes without the work of NCsoft, i have to take issue with some parts of your reply. Firstly - if, as you say, the game is 'the best super heroes MMORPG why are you cancelling it? Surely it would put your company in a better light to preserve it in order to display not only this fine game - loved by thousands - but also your loyalty to the customers who has committed so much time and money to it.
Secondly, are you really sure that cancellling CoH will 'provide a better game and service in the future'? We have all seen examples of Blade and Soul and are universally baffled as to why you would replace a family safe game with another that can only be described as purile at best. It will not be recieved well except by the most shallow of gamers and unlike the players of City of Heroes - their loyalty will be very flimsy.
 Thirdly. Sadly your notion of 'service' and mine differ greatly it seems. You are cancelling this great game just as a matter of realigning policy, this is not service - it is the opposite of service. The fact that you are willing to offend your customers with this kind of casual dismissal drives our determination to save the game.
 Finally, we are all striving to avoid being 'negative and hurtful', we would much prefer to just carry on as before. Unfortunately NSCofts actions have made carrying on impossible. What kind of people would we be to just let this unwise decision go unchallanged? CoH is a lively ongoing product with years more left in it and a legion of loyal followers. The game is well known for the dedication of its players, many of whom are older, steadier and more determined.
 We would ask you to urgently reconsider your decision and if you cannot bring yourself to do this then we ask you to sell the game to someone who will treasure it and the loyal players who for eight and a half years have enjoyed this wonderful game. There is nothing else like it.
 Thank you very much.

I hope this is appropriate. I would urge as many as possible to follow up on this, read into it what you like but i can't help but see it as a good sign.

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
Re: Reply from NCSoft
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »
I'd say that's not only appropriate but a masterful response. Nicely written!
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »
I been passing out links to the Facebook site myself.  I posted my own reply.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:16:56 PM »
Given their patronising and dismissive reply to your initial comment, I'd say you showed great restraint there actually, and got your point across perfectly - excellent work! :)

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Oh, now they can hear us.   :roll:

You know, its odd that suddenly, after months, they can finally reply to our concerns and criticisms, when they could not be bothered to reply to all the nice polite requests for a price or an open discussion... 

I see only one thing in their response there ... Fear.  I do not see genuine remorse, honesty, or a willingness to finally talk with us.  But, oh boy, I sure see them terrified of what we can and will do.  Its as if they know exactly what we've been discussing here as our next move, isn't it?  ;)

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 01:31:25 PM »
Great job indeed!

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »
It's like how the mule trainer uses his two-by-four - first you get their ATTENTION...

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
Oh, now they can hear us.   :roll:

You know, its odd that suddenly, after months, they can finally reply to our concerns and criticisms, when they could not be bothered to reply to all the nice polite requests for a price or an open discussion... 

I see only one thing in their response there ... Fear.  I do not see genuine remorse, honesty, or a willingness to finally talk with us.  But, oh boy, I sure see them terrified of what we can and will do.  Its as if they know exactly what we've been discussing here as our next move, isn't it?  ;)
That's pretty much what I got from it, they are noticing the negative press spreading and are hoping to do a little damage control.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
I re-considered part of my post and edited it. But here's the part I edited out. Just in case you think I should post it as a separate replay now or later. Perhaps this should be posted on December 1st.

You HAD our loyalty. Many of us made videos and spread the word among other gamers about City of Heroes. WORD OF MOUTH of the DEVOTED CUSTOMER was what kept the game alive for 8+ years! How the hell else do you think it was still making money? You certainly spent NOTHING on advertising the last few years! WE DID IT FOR YOU.

Every ounce of trust in you is GONE. And where once you had loyal customers, now you have made ENEMIES. Every single player of City of Heroes who once played and loved the game and spread the love of the game by that same word of mouth that kept it going will now be turned squarely against you.

You think to placate us? You cannot. You think to shut us up? You cannot. You think we will buy anything from you? WE WILL NOT.

And we will do our utmost to spread the word to every gaming site, every gaming magazine. Every facebook page. Every blog. Every news site. We will spread the word of your DISHONOR and DISRESPECT to your customers. Your lack of Face.

You have destroyed the "kibun" of a community the size of a middle-sized city. You think you can survive that as a company? Think again. Look at your stock numbers. They are in freefall. And we will work to see that they STAY in freefall.

Now you will reap the whirlwind.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »
Wise to edit that back for now, aye - that's a larger caliber comment altogether! Best to save that for the bigger boom-boom battles to come I reckon :)

CapaDevans

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »
Funny, I've been posting that on the NCSoft page. All my responses 'disappeared'. No email. Hmm.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »
NCSoft...

I can smell your fear...
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Turjan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »
I found this Cheezburger pic - I wonder if this cat works for NCsoft? ;)

Also... Enigma : I Love You... I'll Kill You

I think I'll have to caption a new bipolar Mars Attacks panel with the love you/kill you concept now ;D

CapaDevans

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I'm considering re-emailing the CEO etc. I still have the email addresses from when they were posted. Frankly, if their attitude is to delete posts and block users, I see zero reason to play nice any longer.

If they were going to sell, then yes. But they've bare-faced lied about 'exhausting all options' and I don't see them doing anything except continuing to be a cross between a Trappist monk and an ostrich. So how do you get an ostrich to remove it's head from the sand? Use dynamite on the sand.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
I recently had a... spirited... conversation with a person in-game on the Beta server.  Not gonna name names, outta respect for the guy's dignity, but he was claiming that "a better superhero MMO would come along, and CoH would be forgotten."  And he claimed he had "inside tips" and that we should "trust him."

The response basically consisted of just about me and everyone else on Beta saying "dude you're full of it."  He's right that a better superhero MMO might come along, but if it does, it'll only be because Titan Network developed it.  Even then, CoH won't be forgotten, because the MMO we're working on is dedicated to the memory of CoH.  NCSoft will never know success in the superhero MMO market again, if they're ever inclined to reenter it, because they've made enemies of all the fans they might have had.  Even if they hadn't, they still gutted Paragon Studios.  Those devs have other jobs now, and they're the only people in the market with proven success at making a super hero MMO.

I often think that honestly, had NCSoft tried to sunset City of Heroes in a responsible fashion, with considerations to the playerbase and an attempt to have a legitimate reason for shutting it down, we might not be so outraged right now.  But they didn't.  They took the most heavy-handed, arbitrary, unreasonable attitude they could towards us, and that is the main reason for our outrage.  Then NCsoft had the gall to meet our (polite) requests for information or reconsideration with a silence so thick a Warwolf couldn't tear through it.

The response we got here can only, only mean fear.  I think it's finally dawning on them just what kind of hornet's nest they've kicked.  What kind of monster they've awoken.  They're begging us to go back to sleep and let them continue unopposed.

Nope.  I don't know about you, but this monster doesn't like rude awakenings.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:51:43 PM by Kaiser Tarantula »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »
"We are heroes.
This is what we do!
You will hear our voice!
We're not going to stop!
Save our city of heroes!!"

That's a negative and hurtful comment?  8)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »
*At NC HQ*

Ring ring... "Hello NCsoft main office how may I help you?"  "yes I'm a Stock holder and investor and I notice this thing on the Facebook page... what this guy ranting about city of heroes for?" gulp "please stand by I redirect you to the PR office."

Yeah it can hurt!
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 03:18:27 PM »
Artillerie,

You can read and write in Korean?

Do you have any idea how much we need that?

NCSoftcore can safely ignore all our slogans, funny pictures and complaints so long as they aren't posted in Korean and put into Korean message boards. Can you translate them and find the places to put 'em?

Then they would begin to understand just how angry they have made us.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »

"However, to provide a better game and service in the future, we have made the tough decision to discontinue the game."

"NCSOFT will strive for a better game and superior service and anticipates the day that we will meet again."

"We are confident that we will not look back towards today's choice with regret."

I would urge as many as possible to follow up on this, read into it what you like but I can't help but see it as a good sign.

Just want to put these into perspective; and no, I don't trust NCsoft anymore or less than I have after the initial decision to shut down our game.

First: "to provide a better game and service in the future, we have made the tough decision to discontinue the game."

Optimism: This might mean a sequel. Pessimism: No game will be better than this one has been, if it isn't a sequel; not to mention the PS devs are already gone.

Second: "NCSOFT will strive for a better game and superior service and anticipates the day that we will meet again."

Optimism: Again, sequel? Please? Pessimism : Like their 'service' has been great so far, with the silence for two months. :P

Third: "We are confident that we will not look back towards today's choice with regret."

Optimism: I sure hope so, for their sake. Pessimism: Yeah right.

I still have the hopes that there will be a sequel, whether by our team or another. Thoughts?

PS: Good reply Artillerie. :)
- Omega Mk. V

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
Third: "We are confident that we will not look back towards today's choice with regret."

Optimism: I sure hope so, for their sake. Pessimism: Yeah right.

I still have the hopes that there will be a sequel, whether by our team or another. Thoughts?
Thoughts: If you're putting down a still-healthy and beloved family member, and will not look back upon it with any regret, I question the truth of your love for that family member.