Author Topic: Reply from NCSoft  (Read 59484 times)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
Re: Reply from NCSoft
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
The God Father picture!  With the NCsoft hat.

I think that would work better then the Martians.  The "FAMILY" angle.  MAH HA HA HA.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

BryanSnowden

• Minion
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »
I have to concur on not using the Martians, 'Mars Attacks' wasn't a box office hit when it came out - even with the "ensemble cast" (which was large and famous) it barely broke even - [Budget = $100 million] & [Box office = $101.37 million].
Sorry, I'm just not a fan - (IMHO it was funny once -> twice was pushing it - beyond the third time+ I'd leave the room/vicinity.)

And, It came out in 1996 = There are plenty of people we're trying to reach - who I'm betting won't even begin to recognize those Martians, I think our Memes should be more a teeny bit more recognizable - so folks will more easily recall the source of the pictures {especially, if they're from movies} = unless they're meant to be vague/niche/obscure...  :-\
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:02:28 PM by BryanSnowden »

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
This is how I feel about this whole thing.  I would almost pity NCsoft's position right now, if I had any pity left for them.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »
Been trying to think of a way, that doesn't look utterly lame, to get Hulk to smash Loki/NCsoft for weeks now.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »
You'd think they'd at least have the courtesy to make a Zombie Statesman image to include...at least on December 1st.

Fixed that for you 8)

btw I've already downloaded a couple of Fredo pictures for the "you're nothing to me" idea...will try to sort that one later ;)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »
Been trying to think of a way, that doesn't look utterly lame, to get Hulk to smash Loki/NCsoft for weeks now.
Paste the NCSoft logo over Loki's face as Hulk delivers the punch.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »
If you're going for the Avengers movie clip, first get the raw image down to a minimal-frame .gif to capture the whole thing. Then, very, very carefully, edit the NCSoft hat onto Loki's head in each frame, being careful to keep it oriented and positioned in the same place on his head the whole time.

Probably want a word-balloon coming from Loki's mouth (still wearing the hat) saying, "You little customers can't hurt me! I'm NCSoft!" just before the beat-down.

Paste the NCSoft logo over Loki's face as Hulk delivers the punch.
No, if you go for a still, just make Loki wear the hat.

DKeith2011

• Underling
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »
With NCsoft pulling out of the Superhero MMO market.  Either Champions will boom (not counting Marvel it's play as the Hero you like and not make a hero yourself,) Not sure if DC fits either.   Or if we get Plan Z out the door as fast as we can we could fill the void.

Champions character customization and power selection is too shallow to be very appealing to CoH players.  I've been trying it since the day after Black Friday and have been nothing but disappointed.

Add the fact that the game is massively monetized with most of the good costumes and items being cash purchases and you have a real loser of a game.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »

I can't stop laughing at that image.  :D
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »
This will be the response I intend to send:

Dear NCSOFT representative,

We feel immense gratitude toward your creation and development of CITY OF HEROES. Indeed, it has been quite the experience and we would like to thank you. CITY OF HEROES, as you said, is the world's first and best superhero MMORPG. And as you said, it has received love (not quite unconditional but close) for more than eight years, and it is like a family member to much of the community.

However, to express our displeasure with your heavyhanded decision to sunset the game and poor customer service during said sunsetting, we have made the tough decision to champion our game. It was very hard on all of us to abruptly lose something we love here in the CITY OF HEROES community. We will strive for our game to continue, to ensure the service its community deserves, and anticipate the day when we will either see you restore the game and its studio to the community of players that loves it, or see the game sold to a studio and/or developer that will do it in your stead. While we may look back with regret at the day you decided to close our game, we are confident that one day, CITY OF HEROES will be returned to us.

Lastly, for the users who enjoy other games at NCsoft, we will continue to provide, as is our Constitutional right, our opinion of NCsoft and its handling of this matter. What you see as 'negative and hurtful', we see as honest opinion. What they do with that opinion, be it to heed it, ignore it, or debate it, is entirely up to them.

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,
Michelle Travis

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »
....we have made the tough decision to discontinue the game. It was very hard on all of us here at NCSOFT.

And it'll be our genuine pleasure to make it a HELL of a lot harder.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »

Fixed that for you 8)

So much win!  8)

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
I was in shock when I read their reply. So now they are trying to silence us ? Do they have any idea that this will produce exactly the opposite effect and make us more aggressive in our posts ?

I can see two possibilites:
1.  They're incompetent
2.  Some PR person really hates their job at NCsoft, doesn't like the company, and knows full well he/she is fanning the flames.  Also technically they're still doing their job.

Btw, I really like some of the stuff we've been coming up with lately, in the pr front.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 08:22:27 PM »
They might not think it'll work at all.  It's pretty clear that they're all the more threatened by us, given that they've taken the time to blink -er, respond- again.  This time they even asked to play nice.  Hah.
In my experience, people that are in panic mode fall into familiar and predicable patterns.

NCSoft's pattern seems to be trying to convince us that shutting down CoH was needed for the benefit of all humanity and to blissfully ignore the impending fall out of a horribly stupid decision to shut CoH down in the manner that they did.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 09:11:17 PM »
Maybe they really have City of Heroes 2 in the line and they are thinking that no one will play it when part 1 is still running. But it's a matter of fact that even when there is a part 2 coming from an other developer, then it will be an different game. Maybe just an other genetic mmo like all the others out there, and I don't think that anyone here still wants to play it after this community managment, so I hope that Plan Z will come to live.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
Maybe they really have City of Heroes 2 in the line and they are thinking that no one will play it when part 1 is still running.

Guild Wars.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »
even if they did launch a CoH2 from NCSoft, i wouldnt play cause i just dont have much faith in NCSoft anymore since the announcement.
personally im hoping plan z comes into action myself.
that i would play
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2012, 09:20:31 PM »
In my experience, people that are in panic mode fall into familiar and predicable patterns.

NCSoft's pattern seems to be trying to convince us that shutting down CoH was needed for the benefit of all humanity and to blissfully ignore the impending fall out of a horribly stupid decision to shut CoH down in the manner that they did.

I concur...but I also think that "realignment of company focus" stuff is real: they're de-emphasizing the Western market. Not all at once, and not in a way that would too-greatly compromise their considerable investment in GW2...but all the signs are there. A near-complete retreat into the safe confines of the high-fantasy genre (very nearly the only genre worth bothering with in the Asian market); a heavy push for Blade in Hole, er...Blade and Soul (high fantasy with a distinctly Asian focus in terms of its lore); shutting down a Western studio subsidiary, which is probably a precursor to a reduced presence/staff at NCSoft West...and so forth.

I very much suspect that NCSoft has realized that the Asian and Western MMO markets are profoundly different in terms of customer expectations...and that their idea of being able to develop for one and simply port to the other is a failed model. Sure, they're trying it again with B&S...but to me that smacks of a decision made a while back and simply being carried forth because the only alternative is to not release the game in the West at all. When it (inevitably) tanks over here, I expect it to be the last attempt on NCSoft's part to do this sort of thing.

In the meantime, sunsetting CoH without selling the IP creates a very advantageous (tax-wise) loss of value for them...something to use in their EoY profit/loss accounting. I still maintain that that write-off of loss of value of the IP is more than they could possibly have secured from a potential buyer...which makes the decision a no-brainer for any competent C-level exec. I don't like it...but it's how it works.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
even if they did launch a CoH2 from NCSoft, i wouldnt play cause i just dont have much faith in NCSoft anymore since the announcement.
personally im hoping plan z comes into action myself.
that i would play

I agree here.  NCSoft isn't that stupid.  Cancelling CoH to make COH 2 would make no sense cause it would piss off damn near every player who played COH 1 and they would loose too much loyal customers.  COH 2 may be in production but if they canceled COH for COH 2 then it is a wonder they have stayed in business with plans like that.  There is always the option maybe they don't wanna sell the IP cause they already intended to sell it to someone else to make COH 2.  Pure speculation though.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
I try other games, but most of them are the same just with an other graphic style. City of Heroes was different. After 6 years of playing there still was new ideas in my head with new characters and powersets I can try. I have this in no other game. I want to chose the size from my nose and my feet, a character I want to play and not have one like thousend others, looking exacly like me in the game. Champions Online have the right direction but... I don't know, it's not my game at all.

I have decided in stop trying to find an other one and playing other offline games I always wanted to play. I look forward what the other part from the Paragon Studios are doing next (I know a part of them are working on Star Trek, but this isn't my universe) and I'm with you with Plan Z, but I don't see an other game so far so long every developer is trying to copy one game over an over again...

...and NC-Soft is on my ignore list right now, what ever they do next...