Author Topic: Fool me Six Times!  (Read 25154 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Fool me Six Times!
« on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
LOL... Check this out!

http://gamespeopleplay.smackjeeves.com/comics/1587704/fool-me-six-times/

I sense that my "MMO Killer" meme may have already been thought of by a few other gamers already. :D

EDIT: I wonder if I should post this back at the official COH Forums? Wonder how long it would take to get "Stalin-ized"?

StarRanger4

• Boss
Re: Fool me Six Times!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
Ahem.  Someone should post that on Wildstar's facebook page

*wink wink nudge nudge*

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »
*prod prod*

... *SHOVE*

Just kidding.

No really, that's a good idea.
- Omega Mk. V

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
I've already done my part. I'd like to maintain the "air of diplomacy" for my original post.

Not to say anybody else couldn't do it of course. :D

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »
Ugh... I didn't know that about Tabula Rasa and private servers. So on top of cutting thins off on whims, NC ALSO has a policy for fighting against community efforts to host private servers? Wonderful...  :roll:

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »
Haha, that's pretty good.  No clue that they were sued over forging a resignation letter.  That's pretty serious stuff.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:07:01 PM »
Oh, NC Soft. You still have time to make good by this. Please do. :-/
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
@Vulpy
Protector Server

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »
Haha, that's pretty good.  No clue that they were sued over forging a resignation letter.  That's pretty serious stuff.
Not only did they lose that case for $28M, they appealed the decision and ended up owing $32M instead.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
Well to be fair, they have always been fairly aggressive in the clamping down on private servers from what I have heard.

And as NCsoft *still* own the IP for their products, they *have* to protect them, because otherwise they get released into the public domain (brand dilution here).

*shrugs* It is especially important if the game is running, but *also* important if the game is no longer running. If they didn't do this, then that would mean that later on, someone else *could* release the game *officially* using the name and artwork of the game with nothing that NCsoft could do about it.

Say you personally made a game, and then for whatever reason you had to stop supporting it (any reason, it isnt important).

People then started releasing their own "versions" of the game (to save the community)
Then 10 years from now, say EA re-released the game and made a boat load of money from it.

You would be angry wouldn't you? Especially if EA *didn't* pay you a single penny for it.

But if you are saying that NCsoft are in the bad for this, this is what they are trying to stop. They are protecting their IP so that situations like this *cannot* happen.

If they want to crack down on it because it's making money, that'd be one thing. If they aren't going to do anything with the game then it SHOULD be fine. If years down the road, they decide to host an official game again, they can crack down on it. On the EA comment though... what are you implying? Nobody is going to be making money off of a private CoH server, and it certainly isn't going to lead to a western supercorp selling the game without paying royalties.

I've been thinking it for years now, but this shutdown has been the final straw. "Rights" sway WAY too far in favor of corporations. Is it their property? Sure. But we're the ones that make it possible for them to even do anything with their property. All their money and power comes from consumers. And to think that businesses will STILL kill things even when they're making money is just ridiculous. And I know very well why it's happening, NC is doing what everyone is doing, focusing on "mass-appeal" products. Mass-appeal, meaning you market only to what makes up the largest % of the audience. You know what that does? It tells anyone who isn't part of the majority that they're not worth marketing to. It tells us that World of Warcraft is the only type of MMO. It tells us that you can't have a successful romantic film unless you do something to make your lead actor look like Robert Pattinson. It tells girls above the age of 12 that if they want to be anything for Halloween besides a stripper, they need to make the costume at home. It tells us that every modern film MUST have hip hop music in it. Poisons exist in very edible product we buy from the food store simply because it makes the food more addicting. Big business it killing niche marketing, and as a result is leaving a LOT of people out in the cold. Modern capitalism is killing diversity, and the only way to change that is to shift the balance of power.

If NC later on decides they want the game "back", then fine. But keeping everyone in the dark just because someday they "might" want to make money off it again, just... no. Preventing non-profit private servers for a game with no official servers isn't "protecting" the IP. It's just being a bully.

Besides, if SOE, the quintessential super-tyrannical MMO developer, can manage to put up with player-projects of their old games... and SWGEMU was running WHILE the official servers were.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »
And as NCsoft *still* own the IP for their products, they *have* to protect them, because otherwise they get released into the public domain (brand dilution here).

You're thinking of trademark, where that is the case. If someone uses the name and they don't protect it, and it passes into common usage as a result, they could lose it.

Copyright, on the other hand, is not subject to that rule. You can sit on something for 20 years while people upload thousands of copies of something to ultramegatorrentzdawg.com, then one day suddenly decide you want to start suing them over it. It's still infringement and you can't lose your rights through inaction.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
Oh NcSoft you HAVE a PR problem...you have a large growing and geting very, very angry PR problem.  We need a show of faith I'm holding the redsider back by will alone right now.  We are goin to save this game you assholes...now we can help you redeem this increasingly tarnished reputation or we can make sure that you are known as the Game Killer and the enemy...and we will relish the day when your corporaton falls.  What you do not seem to understand is the choice is not hope or despair...it is hope or revenge. >:(

If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »
If some lovely gaming journalist *coughcoughBree* is reading this... an article about NC Soft the MMO killer would be totally awesome right now.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
Oh, this picture is just great. I will never ever be such a fool to buy or play any NC-Soft game again. City of Heroes was my first online game, I had fun with it and friends there. Of course you hear this when they closed Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa, the other games wasn't that popular that I notice it in the press, but you always was thinking: "Whatever, this can't happen to us". When it hit's you then it hit's you hard and I can just warn in playing Wildstar. You finally found a game that is fun and you like to play, you have characters and friends there you like to play with and suddenly everything is over.

I will never forget this and I have a good memory...

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 05:52:45 PM »
And they axed 2 other games in the South Korean market, those games still run because NCSoft only held the SK servers.

>.>

4 of 14 MMO listed as shut down on Wikipedia were canned by NCSoft, and it's soon to be 5/15.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
I mean... I have no problem in shuting a game down after 8 years, but the way how they do this is an absolutly no-go. First they fire the entire team quickly that they haven't a chance to do an end-event or just give them a chance to think about how they can save the game and then they kicked the community right between the legs with ignoring everything what they do to save the game and in saying, "So, dudes everything is gone until 30. Nov, thanks but we want to do other things!", That's not the way how I want to do buisness with them in future...

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 01:07:40 AM »
And I was actually going to buy Wildstar because it looked like fun.

Obviously Black Friday put an end to that idea.

This meme really needs to spread.  #NCSOFTMMOKILLER
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 01:19:47 AM »
And I was actually going to buy Wildstar because it looked like fun.

Obviously Black Friday put an end to that idea.

This meme really needs to spread.  #NCSOFTMMOKILLER
Hmm, thy will be done (when I get a free moment, it's RP night).