Author Topic: News?  (Read 241400 times)

Teege

• Boss
Re: News?
« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2012, 10:12:41 PM »
...well aren't we all ready to just throw in the freakin' towel?

Crying out loud. Thought we were all HEROES around here. Stand your ground!
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »
It's over. NCsoft has no intention of being reasonable and never did. We'll probably never know if there actually were "discussions" going on or not. (Smart money's on "not".)

As far as I know the negotiations are still on.  I am in direct communication with Brian Clayton, and he has not said anything to the contrary.  Just because NCSoft is not intending to continue the game it does not follow they are not willing to sell it to someone else.  Frankly it is all about the money.  If someone else is willing to pay for the IP and code, they would be idiots not to sell.  In the past what has happened with games they closed was that no one came forward with enough interest and money for them to sell.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
I'd say that particular post is primarily focused on the refund information that so many people were concerned about. Don't let it distract you. Sure it may look bad, but wait to see if or when Andy posts something to the effect of "As we finally say goodbye tomorrow, November 30th, let us not forget..."

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2012, 10:20:21 PM »
I'd say that particular post is primarily focused on the refund information that so many people were concerned about. Don't let it distract you. Sure it may look bad, but wait to see if or when Andy posts something to the effect of "As we finally say goodbye tomorrow, November 30th, let us not forget..."

If NCSoft doesn't pick the game back up--and let's be honest, they won't, our goal at this point is to transfer the IP to someone who'll continue using it--then technically a 'as we say good bye' post ALSO isn't a cause for alarm, since NCSoft would technically still be saying good bye. I'm just saying...
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2012, 10:21:56 PM »
All this says is "neener neener NCSoft might have blinked, but we are not going to keep the game alive."  So what?  We don't WANT them to keep the game alive only to kill it down the road.  We want someone else who loves this game to keep it alive, growing and vibrant.

This is also a psychological ploy on the part of NCSoft to discourage us from keeping up our pressure on them.  They WANT us to be defeatist (and they obviously succeeded in your case).  If anything, we need to put MORE pressure on them--to sell.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »
If someone else is willing to pay for the IP and code, they would be idiots not to sell.

I wouldn't rule that out, ncsoft being idiots that is. There's plenty of evidence for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up, and this fight is far from over. I just wouldn't plan any strategy that hinges on ncsoft management being intelligent and/or rational.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »
I wouldn't rule that out, ncsoft being idiots that is. There's plenty of evidence for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up, and this fight is far from over. I just wouldn't plan any strategy that hinges on ncsoft management being intelligent and/or rational.
Yeah, not a lot of what they have done is making a lot of sense.  Logically, business-wise, etc.  "Idiots" might be a strong word, but we should most definitely not count on them doing what's logical.  It hasn't really happened yet.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2012, 10:31:17 PM »
There are a couple of key points to think about in Zwil's post. First, they offered refunds, not game credit toward one of their other titles. I believe that is the first time they have done that. Something to ponder, though I've no idea if it really means anything.

Second, they sent a friendly face out to make the announcement. Now, granted, that is his job - and it is entirely possible he insisted that he be the one to write that announcement. But I note with a certain disdain that so far whoever at NCsoft is calling the shots has hidden behind Andy Belford. If this is such a smart business move they should man up and put their name on it. (snort)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2012, 10:36:58 PM »
There are a couple of key points to think about in Zwil's post. First, they offered refunds, not game credit toward one of their other titles. I believe that is the first time they have done that. Something to ponder, though I've no idea if it really means anything.

Second, they sent a friendly face out to make the announcement. Now, granted, that is his job - and it is entirely possible he insisted that he be the one to write that announcement. But I not with a certain disdain that so far whoever at NCsoft is calling the shots has hidden behind Andy Belford. If this is such a smart business move they should put their name on it. (snort)

Yes, they are hiding behind Zwil.  It doesn't take a lot to realize that we absolutely love our developers (we bought them dinner) and they are trying to abate us with money in our pockets.  This announcement shows that our pressure has done something and NCsoft is hoping that they can shut us up by giving us our money back.  Believe me, they wouldn't give us our money back if they could get away with it.  Next thing is to turn up the heat and compel them to sell the IP and code.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »
Just rechecked my email.

Political spam, product spam, slacktivist alerts, my order for doll eyes just shipped (don't ask), buy buy buy buy, Publisher's Clearing House (WHAT?  Someone wins once in a while!), things from two editors.  Nothing from Brian.  I'd say the negotiations are still on.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2012, 10:38:31 PM »

*asks anyway*

...doll eyes? >.>

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
Just rechecked my email.

Political spam, product spam, slacktivist alerts, my order for doll eyes just shipped (don't ask), buy buy buy buy, Publisher's Clearing House (WHAT?  Someone wins once in a while!), things from two editors.  Nothing from Brian.  I'd say the negotiations are still on.

Or the negotiations broke down and he's gone on a 3 day bender to drown his sorrows. (wink) Just pointing out the possibilities, ma'am. But I think you're probably right. (lol)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:45:58 PM by The_Hunter_JLJ »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »
That's a good point emu. They're giving us some of what we want, to try to appease us. They are on the defensive. More than ever, we need to keep up the pressure, and press the advantage.

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #174 on: September 18, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »
I wouldn't read too much into it. If anything, by giving out the refunds they're covering themselves from any legal action regarding unused subscription time, unused points, etc especially for those who do not want to be given credit for another game. It is a nice gesture, yes.

The rest I'll just bite my tongue on! Keep up the good fight.

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »
I am thinking about all the little data points we've been seeing. I can't entirely explain why, but I am not disheartened by what we're seeing. Lots of little subtle points. They were relatively polite to TonyV in asking we not email the execs directly, then provided him an email address as asked. They refunded rather than offering game credit. Lots of signs of support from the devs, which they COULD have shut down had they chosen to do so.

This is not looking like a company hell bent on telling their customers to go **** themselves. I speak with some authority, having worked for years for a company which routinely does exactly that. I think whoever said they'd love us to get discouraged and go away is right... so let's not. I think we're inside their head at this point, which is a big step in the right direction.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2012, 10:49:54 PM »
They've had ample opportunity to stomp us flat...and haven't. That alone speaks volumes.

(And not to mention the Admin who keeps rebooting AP33!)

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2012, 10:51:29 PM »
They WANT us to be defeatist (and they obviously succeeded in your case).

Not exactly. And we'll see.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2012, 10:56:32 PM »
They've had ample opportunity to stomp us flat...and haven't. That alone speaks volumes.

(And not to mention the Admin who keeps rebooting AP33!)

I think they already know better than to risk creating more rage. If they silenced us, the reaction on the web would be far worse than anything that has happened so far, and it wouldn't just be from people who care about the game.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »

*asks anyway*

...doll eyes? >.>

*sigh*  You asked.

I make Asian Ball Jointed dolls.  (Some of them are my Secret World Chronicles/City of Heroes characters.  I made a Ghost Widow doll for the last Real World Heroes auction).  These are resin, vinyl, or ABS dolls that basically come as the naked doll with no hair or eyes and you customize to suit yourself.   I just bought two... >.>  <.<  >.> ....catgirls...who need eyes.