Author Topic: News?  (Read 241399 times)

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
Re: News?
« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »
Pish-tosh.  60's hippy + 62 years old = herd dog with experience.  That's all.  It's kinda in the blood.

I remember you writing that you got your start playing volunteer rangler at Fantasy Worlds Festival.
Getting a bunch of enthused young volunteers to actually interrupt their con experience with food and sleep?

Talk about some hax-level controller powers here!

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »
Er... somehow, I don't think herding us all together so NCsoft can unleash the AOEs on us is quite the image you really want. (wink)

Who said NCSoft is the one unleashing the AoEs?

Thus far, we've unleashed some powers that have whomped the length and breadth of the internet...

KoA

• Minion
« Reply #202 on: September 19, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
I'd like to see people create something like this on every server not only to have that physical presence, but to be there to inform those players who are just learning of the closure or are desiring more information.

On Virtue I have "Save CoH Information" logged in front of City Hall overnight.  I always come back to /tells thanking me as well, and in-game emails requesting information. It's a great way to boost our numbers! Here he is again:

This is great. I'll gladly do one of these, in fact I tried to do something similar (altho not as well) but pardon my stupidity, how do you get it to remain logged in and not time out and get kicked off the server as afk?

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »
This is great. I'll gladly do one of these, in fact I tried to do something similar (altho not as well) but pardon my stupidity, how do you get it to remain logged in and not time out and get kicked off the server as afk?

You go to the AE buidling.  Start ANY ae arc.  then instead of actually entring the mission, you walk back out and take up your position once more.

KoA

• Minion
« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »
You go to the AE buidling.  Start ANY ae arc.  then instead of actually entring the mission, you walk back out and take up your position once more.

Well holy smack...........I never knew that trick!  Thanks!!!   :)

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »
Hey VV, I'm really curious.  You mentioned earlier, or possibly in another thread, that you were given a lifetime sub for your MA story.  With the news of the player refunds, have you heard anything about how they will compensate you for your work?

Chyll

• Underling
« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2012, 04:49:51 PM »
I'll admit that my sense of hope and spirits have been low since the announcement. (Things weren't help with my browser crashing each time I tried to sign the petition until I gave up - took it as a sign)

Anyway, reading this thread has given me hope for the first time...

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »
Don't forget about this http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-840174  Spread the link around, get folks signed up and clicking Recommend.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2012, 09:50:09 PM »
Hey VV, I'm really curious.  You mentioned earlier, or possibly in another thread, that you were given a lifetime sub for your MA story.  With the news of the player refunds, have you heard anything about how they will compensate you for your work?

I have not.  Unless I find out that other people (husband) has gotten a refund and I have not gotten any compensation, I will assume I will get a "refund" on the time remaining.  If I do not, I'll take some steps.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Defcon Kid

• Minion
  • CoH Forever!
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »
Spanish and proud Defianter. 31 50s and counting. Proud co-leader of Fuerza Letal, Liga de las Sombras, Legion del Fenix and Infernal Justice. Also a happy member of Gammaforce and D.O.A., and now spreading tentacles to the other side of the pond :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #210 on: September 19, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #211 on: September 19, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »
Paragon City, and it's ideals, transcend borders. We are men and women, fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, of all nationalities, all faiths, all beliefs, and all creeds.

We are something larger than any one nation or people. Remember that, and act accordingly.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #212 on: September 19, 2012, 10:40:49 PM »

, depending on whether or not anyone still has the code for the OLD launcher around Paragon, and whether or not the deal will include the original servers.

looking through my bookcase prompts this question,

Would one of the old box sets published before everything shifted over to the NCSoft launcher still have the original launcher?

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #213 on: September 19, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »

Would one of the old box sets published before everything shifted over to the NCSoft launcher still have the original launcher?
I have a copy of the collectors edition disk (both CoH and CoV) sitting here.

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #214 on: September 19, 2012, 11:18:02 PM »
The amount of books of yours I've been intending to buy is clearly not enough.  And I regret that up until the last few weeks my only exposure to you or your books was one of my crazier exes reading one of them.

I cannot thank you enough for your help.  And I certainly cannot thank you enough for the morale boost you've provided.  Whether or not we succeed in the end, we've already done the impossible.  No reason to stop now.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2012, 12:34:14 AM »

Yes it would. It wouldn't do anything. But it'd be there.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2012, 12:39:54 AM »
Yes it would. It wouldn't do anything. But it'd be there.

Then might that be an answer for down the road? If the programming exists (and several other VERY big conditions are met) could that be used as a way to reconstruct a way to start the game without the NCSoft launcher?
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2012, 12:44:58 AM »

Then might that be an answer for down the road? If the programming exists (and several other VERY big conditions are met) could that be used as a way to reconstruct a way to start the game without the NCSoft launcher?

I think that is a question for Codewalker or one of the other experts, but I believe that the path goes: launcher connects to some intermediary server which connects you to specific "shard" server which then allows you to play.  So the launcher would need to point to something, and that something would need to point you to a specific "shard" server.  Have I got that right?

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2012, 12:46:10 AM »
I think that is a question for Codewalker or one of the other experts, but I believe that the path goes: launcher connects to some intermediary server which connects you to specific "shard" server which then allows you to play.  So the launcher would need to point to something, and that something would need to point you to a specific "shard" server.  Have I got that right?

Sounds about right, but I'm no code monkey.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2012, 12:48:03 AM »