Author Topic: News?  (Read 241407 times)

Flamazing Sally

• Minion
Re: News?
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »
Thank you, Horror_Frost, for the link.  Good to know that wizards in the financial community agree with us.  NCsoft has really dropped the ball and isn't doing much to retrieve it.

darkquill

• Minion
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »
Zwill, from the community digest, so I'm sure most of you've already seen it:
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4396775#post4396775

Update: I'm working on some messaging regarding the cessation of player services right now. There's some details that are still being worked out by NCsoft, but I would expect something in the next few days.

This was an update to this post from 9/6:
As a heads up; We still do not have final details surrounding VIP status or the state of player services moving forward. As soon as NCsoft provides an update myself or another of the remaining team will update and hopefully answer any questions you may have.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2012, 06:29:20 PM »
Well, I guess that just about sums up any good things we thought we were hearing.

Gotta love Electric_Knight's response though. "Please relay to them that we have a cave troll. "

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »
Well, I guess that just about sums up any good things we thought we were hearing.

Gotta love Electric_Knight's response though. "Please relay to them that we have a cave troll. "

Not necessarily. It's possible, in fact I'd argue it's probable, that the people working on cessation of player services would be completely different people than those in any negotiations about the future of the product.

Besides, even if the negotiations bear fruit it's possible that CoH will no longer be an NCSoft product. In that case, it's possible that we will have to create new game accounts and that Titan Network will have to collaborate with Paragon Studios to get exported characters back into the game.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
Not necessarily. It's possible, in fact I'd argue it's probable, that the people working on cessation of player services would be completely different people than those in any negotiations about the future of the product.

Besides, even if the negotiations bear fruit it's possible that CoH will no longer be an NCSoft product. In that case, it's possible that we will have to create new game accounts and that Titan Network will have to collaborate with Paragon Studios to get exported characters back into the game.
Agreed. Any potential bad news we hear from this does not necessarily have a single thing to do with any successful deals to keep CoH running.
And, yeah, I don't think NCSoft will have anything to do with our future subscription/player services (as I don't believe NCSoft will simply reconsider and continue backing the game... I just hope they will sell it!).
So, no worries if/when Zwill drops some cold, hard cessation information.

Also, haha, thanks, Tim. I am glad to give people a smile or a laugh.  :)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »
Agreed. Any potential bad news we hear from this does not necessarily have a single thing to do with any successful deals to keep CoH running.

I'm 99.99% sure that regardless of what happens, NCsoft will be ceasing providing services for City of Heroes players.  Right now, NCsoft owns all of the accounts, billing systems, hardware, etc.  If the game transfers to someone else, whether or not it stays up and running, we'll have to go through this process.  Don't read too much into this yet.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2012, 08:07:53 PM »
I have no updates.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Paindancer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2012, 01:35:47 AM »
Sometimes, you have to hand it to where my wife heralds from:

Stay calm.

Carry on.

Single biggest thing we can do.
@vengeance mk2

The iReport:  http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-838027
(read it, share it, recommend it)

Mistaken Bambi

• Underling
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2012, 02:28:56 AM »

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2012, 02:36:45 AM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but it seems to go very quickly from AP31 to AP33... Was there no video of AP32?

And yes I keep watching it over and over...and crying.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »
I wish I would have read this earlier...I just teamed with a DJ Kitty this morning.

I happened to team with DJ Kitty this morning and asked about this.  He/She told me that TR had been on a chat channel and had said something good.  DJ Kitty wasn't all that chatty or detailed in what they said, so this sounds as if it could just be a round of telephone game and whoknows what was said or what was meant.

But I agree that no news may be good news.  If NCSoft had ROFLed at the idea of talks, we'd have heard so by now; if talks are still on-going, then hope still burns...
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Wammo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2012, 06:22:47 PM »
Time...
We have seen quite a bit of it pass now and the lack of information is deafening. None of us need be anymore discouraged  than we already are but the lack of information is starting to gnaw at the hope I still bear in my heart for the salvation of this game. Can the developers who are supposedly talking with NcSoft give us any reason to believe this thing is going to be pulled out before the clock strikes? Anyone anywhere have anything new at all???

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »

Because the entire billing and account system is integrated into the larger PlayNC system there'll have to be work done to remove them, no matter what happens.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »
Time...
We have seen quite a bit of it pass now and the lack of information is deafening. None of us need be anymore discouraged  than we already are but the lack of information is starting to gnaw at the hope I still bear in my heart for the salvation of this game. Can the developers who are supposedly talking with NcSoft give us any reason to believe this thing is going to be pulled out before the clock strikes? Anyone anywhere have anything new at all???

1.) Any and all talks should be expected to under NDA. Anyone that knows anything can't talk about it.

2.) Start complaining about the length of time when it's at least been a month. The time that has passed so far hasn't actually been that significant when it comes to this sort of thing.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
1.) Any and all talks should be expected to under NDA. Anyone that knows anything can't talk about it.

2.) Start complaining about the length of time when it's at least been a month. The time that has passed so far hasn't actually been that significant when it comes to this sort of thing.

Yeah, this sums it up pretty nicely.  What it doesn't mean, however, is that you should start losing faith.  It's not over yet, we just gotta wait.  Keep morale up!  Play the game, keep tweeting, etc.

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
Yup we cannot lose steam on our efforts. We need to do our part in and out of game as much as possible and those such as Tony or Andy will undoubtedly inform us as soon as something new hits the front lines. Until then remain strong, continue our current Call to Actions (and brainstorm new ones) and consume large amounts of Grandpa Gerald's Old Tyme Broot Beer! I wonder if anybody remembers that and other advertisements I made up in Broadcast during one of my Costume Contests?
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2012, 08:45:27 PM »
Time...

I can guarantee that the developers ARE talking with NCSoft.  That much I have the solid word of Brian Clayton, the former manager of Paragon Studios, on.

I would suggest we are dealing with three things here. (1) Business negotiations are generally slow, unless fire is applied to the tail of one of the parties.  (2) It takes time to raise venture capitalist money, and NCSoft is going to be all about "show me the money."  (3) WE are in a hurry to see something settled before Nov 30.  NCSoft is in no hurry; they have already cut their expenses by shutting down the studio, and do not have a fire applied to their tail.

Applying fire is our job.  We need to make them see that the longer they drag this out, the blacker an eye we can give them in the (Western, anyway) press.

I have two strategies I will make threads for.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2012, 09:12:09 PM »
Hmmm. Maybe I'm just not saying it loudly enough.

ACTIVATE YOUR PATIENCE DEFENSE POWER SETS!

...maybe that'll do it... >.>
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »
DAMN, I shoulda bought Patience when the Paragon store was still open.  8)

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2012, 10:05:43 PM »
"As the long history of City of Heroes draws to a close...."

"Thank you for your support and patience as we work to smoothly close this chapter with the sunset of the City of Heroes franchise."

Zwill's no amateur; he knows how to write this stuff. The eyes of the Community were on him. He probably spent 48 hours sweating over his keyboard trying to figure out exactly how to word it.

It's over. NCsoft has no intention of being reasonable and never did. We'll probably never know if there actually were "discussions" going on or not. (Smart money's on "not".)

So ends the strange saga of The Most Disgraceful and Contemptuous Closing of a Title in Gaming History. Our descendants will not envy us for having experienced it.

And so we move on to "Plan Z". If NCsoft won't run the World's Most Popular Superpowered MMO, and won't release it to another publisher...

We'll just make a new one!