Author Topic: Meanwhile, in the Halls of Titan...  (Read 114751 times)

Prexx

• Underling
Re: Meanwhile, in the Halls of Titan...
« Reply #240 on: September 05, 2012, 04:04:11 AM »
I would also like to help save my favorite city.  Here is what I can offer:

I am an accounting major, so I can help with anything on that front.  I also have a knack for collecting, organizing, analyzing and reporting data.

I also have a background in graphic design.  I am proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.  I have experience, but am probably a bit rusty, with Flash, Premier, and Dreamweaver.

While not a marketing person myself, I have been sitting in on marketing meetings for about five years now and have picked up a few things, so I might be able to make a good assistant.

I will do anything I can to help.

-Ryan

Kadmon

• Boss
« Reply #241 on: September 05, 2012, 04:12:30 AM »
Not gonna lie, totally forgot that I had this account. I don't even know if I've ever posted using it. That said, I want you all to know that no matter the outcome here, you have my sword. And my cash, for that matter, which I imagine to be somewhat more useful when it comes time to inspire people to work.

Admittedly, though, the sword actually works rather well for that too...

Okay, got sidetracked there, I suppose I should list my skills that I can offer. Admittedly, they aren't plentiful, but if this is a "take what we can get" enterprise, I will happily offer my services.

- Can spot a typo at a range of 10 goats with glasses on. Otherwise, the typo is kinda blurry. More precisely, I can proofread rather well.

- Has spent considerable time writing, and wouldn't mind breaking out the pen and paper to have another go at it.

- Sorta-okay at drawing. You'd be better served with a better artist than me, but if the chips are down, I will put my nose to the damned grindstone and get better.

- Moral support. Keep up the good work, and never, EVER stop fighting for justice!
We're heroes. When something threatens our fair city, we fight it tooth and nail, and by God, we make it pay for every bloody inch!

Second Chances

• Minion
« Reply #242 on: September 05, 2012, 04:14:11 AM »
I had figured I would mainly be most useful in terms of contributing some moniez if we get to that point, but if any of my skillz would be of use you are welcome to them.

As for categories, I guess i could fall into programmer, or sysadmin, or tester and, for that matter, my current crazy but interesting devops-y job is a mix of all three.

My coding languages are old-school C (which is fun, but maybe not so useful these days), and then some less fun but more modern stuff, like python and perl and php. My talent is probably system-level debugging, both in terms of natural bent, and because I have had a lot of opportunity to do that kind of work on complex systems in the jobs I have had over the years. I also do a [un]fair amount of testing, including Other People's Code (cuss dem). I used to beta and alpha test MMOs for amusement, but drifted away from that a couple of years back when I started my current job.

I'm decent at writing, and often entertain myself by making my documentation amusing as well as informative. Of course, that is amusing to me, which a nice transition to pointing out that my sense of humor could possibly qualify as... quirky. :3

Thanks for working on this, Titans.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #243 on: September 05, 2012, 04:31:17 AM »
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=296759

Just in case some of you haven't seen it. We are making an impact. Keep fighting. Don't slow down, don't lose hope.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #244 on: September 05, 2012, 04:35:05 AM »
We're creeping closer to "mainstream" media.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-837330
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

ROBOKiTTY

• Boss
  • KiTTYRiffic
    • KiTTYLand
« Reply #245 on: September 05, 2012, 05:23:22 AM »
I should also mention that I'm a linguist, for what it's worth.

My coding languages are old-school C (which is fun, but maybe not so useful these days)

Not true! Game development is still deeply entrenched in C. Graphics and system calls still go through C APIs. OpenGL is still pure C and consistently resisted OO abstraction. Most shading languages are C-likes. Knowing how to write structured C is super useful.
Have you played with a KiTTY today?

Scott Jackson

• Plan Z: Gameplay Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #246 on: September 05, 2012, 05:39:02 AM »
I'll offer one or more of these contributions, depending on which plan become the favorite:

Data analysis - cost/benefit analysis, forecasting future equipment needs and capital costs, manipulation of data in preparation for loading into databases, statistics, spreadsheets, reports, etc.

Coding and testing - no experience related to games besides being an avid player, and my memories of C / ASP.net / perl are rusty but recoverable.  Served as a project manager, user representative, or QA lead on several internal software projects for a large company.  These used a variety of databases, programming languages, and user interfaces; probably old stuff, but my experience with schema and pseudocode development could carry over to this project.  On-time, bug-free releases were my specialty, along with designing very user-configurable systems.

Writing or proofreading in English - design documents, game content, and so forth.

Brainstorming - happy to develop ideas and work through pros/cons of implementing them into software, if we take a "CoH2" path and consider significant game updates such as a free-form power selection archetype, an AE-like scheme for user-defined costume pieces, or destructible environments.

Time - retired, so I have some to share.  Would do the above work for free or expenses-only, on a worthy goal.

Money - to fund ownership of an open-source or otherwise community-driven game built on the "good ideas" from CoH.

blckwngdorcl

• Underling
« Reply #247 on: September 05, 2012, 05:52:41 AM »
Just wanted to say that you have my support, which right now would be what I would have been giving NCSoft monthly to play. I have a head for math -- no training, but am more than willing to learn. I also have 10+ years customer service under my belt, if that would help as well.
There is but one battle left to fight...

SAVE OUR CITY!

Sleepykitty

• The Napping Cat
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #248 on: September 05, 2012, 05:58:29 AM »
We're creeping closer to "mainstream" media.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-837330

o.o actually.. I've had 2 ppl tell me that they saw something about NCsoft shutting us down on the USA cable tv station's news. I didn't even know they had news... these two are completely independent of each other and 1 was aunt who didn't even know till now.. don't suppose anyone caught it or its on youtube?

<.< knowing C is somewhat useful I'm told. As I only know C++, Java, cobal, and GWBasic (o_o run in fear!!!) I'm doing this and checking post contents for spammers. o.o right! caught up on volunteers! thanks all! feel free to keep them coming, I have work tomorrow, so and posts will not be added till late night (unless one of the other admin get to it)

=^_^= keep at it! we can do this!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:12:18 AM by Sleepykitty »
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Sleepy! Hear me Yawn!

o.o reachable at: My Paragonwiki Page

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #249 on: September 05, 2012, 06:46:29 AM »
I've been searching around and haven't found anything beyond that iReport, however I will say I am in contact with somebody from CNN and will be filling that person in (with detail) about the situation and effort so we'll see. I can tell you if it does hit something more mainstream it could create quite a buzz.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

DamianoV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #250 on: September 05, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
Skills list:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, 25+ years of professional programming experience, mainly business apps with a focus on database design and optimization.  In the gaming world, plenty of time spent messing around with MUDs and networking basics. 

Additionally, 15+ years of experience running small businesses, with a focus on HR/finance.  My experience with tax law and business reporting is largely limited to the U.S.

Fanny

• Minion
  • I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #251 on: September 05, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
As a published author I can provide editing and writing services, free of charge.

I am also fantastic at social media.

I am proficient with Abode products (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)

Keep fighting the good fight.

EDIT: I've also been maintaining the Twitter page, @SaveCoX
"There is no victory without sacrifice."

Zanriel

• Underling
« Reply #252 on: September 05, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
All I can really offer is financial support, moral support, and help spreading the word. This is one of my all time favorite games, and one I've been playing several times a week since it first came out. Save City of Heroes!

pnakotus

• Underling
« Reply #253 on: September 05, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
For some samples of my efforts in writing for CoH my Arcs (with cutscenes!) are provided below:

How did you make your cutscenes? I'm looking for ways of preserving the characters and things I've made in-game, whether through demorecords, screenshots, 3D ripping & shapeways etc.

MajorDurand

• Underling
    • Cats, Archaeology and Mayem
« Reply #254 on: September 05, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
I was a beta tester for City of Heroes way back in the mists of pre-history and have never let my sub lapse throughout the run. I want to do whatever I can to help save it.

I'm also a published author and just was accepted into the International Thriller Writers. I can offer both editing and writing skills. I also have a degree in fine art and do most of my own book covers and illustrations. For the last 15+ years, I've put together anthologies, booklets, novels and novelettes for various authors and writers' groups.

I'm very well versed in PageMaker (oldie, but goodie!) -- just getting my claws into InDesign. I'm fluent with Photoshop and have had a little training in some 3-D programs. I'm also mean with a really for real paintbrush, pencil, pen and markers.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2012, 02:56:01 PM »
EDIT: I've also been maintaining the Twitter page, @SaveCoX
I have nothing but respect for you.  How in the world do you keep up with all this?  I still need to walk the dog and finish getting ready for work!  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #256 on: September 05, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
I just wanted to reiterate one small but I think important thought:

As much as we all love City - and I *do*, the game was *immeasurably* improved by Issue 24.  Blaster Improvements, New Power Pool adjustments and powers, customizable pool power effects, and some really cool new power sets including Martial Assault, Martial Combat, Water Blasting, and more!

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/game_updates/issue_24/overview.php

I think pre-24 City is fun, but I think Issue 24 City is revolutionary - it's *that* much of an improvement!

And the good news is I had/have been playing on the beta server where I24 was live, and it all works!  The code is all written and functional!  (As much as any code is.)

We would be foolish I firmly believe, if we wind up bringing City back to life like a phoenix, not to bring it back in all its Issue 24 glory.  So I *beg* of the powers that be, keep that at the forefront of your mind.  I cannot imagine any scenario where City's codebase gets transferred where it wouldn't be just as simple to get the I24 version of City instead of the I23 one - so let's do it!

Cool?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »
Any reverse engineering effort (if it came down to that, it would be better to get the dev team back so we could actually have new content at a reasonable pace) would certainly be focused around the I24 beta client, as it was clearly ready to go when the news dropped.

Also, I wanted to take a second to say I'm amazed by the community response. I'm off in my corner doing what things on the technical side I can to help, but every time I hit refresh it seems like there's some new initiative, more press coverage, news of influential people chiming in, etc. It's truly like watching heroes in action.

Keep it up and I know we'll make a difference!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »
Also lets keep this in mind if we do save this thing we are not finished.

Let's make the NEXT step as well and prepare to fund crowd sourced advertising. Let's get some TV air time in larger cities. Let's take out some full page ads in newspapers saying, "We saved the game, now we save the rest of the world. We are Heroes, it's what we do."

dpawtows

• Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
TV ads are quite expensive; there's a reason Paragon Studios never tried it themselves.

But if the Titan crew manage to pull this off, they'll make Nerd History.  I imagine that'll generate a lot of press.