Author Topic: Meanwhile, in the Halls of Titan...  (Read 114560 times)

cxemu789

• Underling
Re: Meanwhile, in the Halls of Titan...
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »
Hey, everyone.

I will take this as a reply to the message I sent you yesterday, TonyV ;-)

I'm with Riff above, and I would like to once again offer any help I can to make this happen. Ideally, to keep the game alive, and if not for any of the options he offers.

Let's work together to keep this game alive. Stay strong! :-D

Vox Doom

• Underling
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
I have to add my support to this, City of Heroes can't go out like that.  You want sub fees?  You got them, whatever support I can give, despite being remarkably untalented, is yours.

Voidchild

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
I would also contribute both monetary and other means if possible. Can't say that I've got loads to give, but for CoH, I'll spare some of it.

gangrelguy

• Underling
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »
I'm certain that together, we can all pull this off without too much concern as long as NCSoft is open to some form of resolution to keep the servers up. 

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »
Let here be known that I would like to help any endeavour to keep a CoX server alive, for too many MMORPG out there are being stopped without considering the feelings of the players that forever are withdrawn of the right to play "their" game, not even because of the technology going forward, but because of business decisions like these.

Let here be known that, despite not being quite active for the community in the past years, I can no less program a bit. I know C/C++, java, (I don't think they used Ada and Ocaml, but I know these too), I also have notions of graphical and network programming, and I also have a quite strong, logical and mathematical mind. I also speak French in addition to english (for any translation restoration plan).

Let here be known that, for at least 2 years, I could devote a substanciate monthly stipend to any endeavour or sustainment needed for servers, like 4 or 5 monthly subscription. I would prefer not giving a large sum upfront.

That is what I want to give.

I also want to underline the problem that NCSoft is going to be against any kind of continuation of service that is not under their control (or to their profit), because CoX will be going up against their online games. Time spent playing City is not spent paying a subscription for {insert NCSoft game here}. If we want to continue playing, to compensate for that shall only be leverage for ourselves. Be aware, be wise, it'll only get easier.
Yeeessss....

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »
Echoing the support.  I'm a journalist, and I moonlight in PR and social media campaigns .  If I can help in those capacities, please just let me know.

At the very least, I will donate to any kickstarter (etc) campaign to help make this a reality.

--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

riniling

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
Also echoing support. This was such a stupid, stupid, stupidstupid/stupid/ decision on NCSoft's part.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »
Nbody mentionned the petition on change.org, you can also use that. Here is the link:
http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-keep-ncsoft-from-shutting-down-city-of-heroes

Sign as well, if you didn't, this can only help out.
Yeeessss....

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
I'm also willing to help. I haven't trespassed into the server/development side of MMO's, but I've been writing short fiction & pencil/paper game adventures since the 80s, and was head administrator on a successful MUD for a decade or so. So I'm willing to help with the design-end (if this project gets that far) but I'm also willing to contribute what I can toward the financial end as well.

Good luck, the hopes of a lot of heroes and villains are going with you.
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
AS mentioned on the official boards, I just want to voice out that I'm there to help in whatever ways I can: time and/or money...

I just want to point out that at least one game survived and flourished in the underground : Falcon 4.0 which was released by Microprose in 1998 and that should have died when this company closed. the community picked up some code and gradually evolved it (flight model, graphics etc..). In 1998 Falcon 4.0 was the best combat flight sim around and today Falcon BMS is the best combat flight sim around ! (and it is free...)

So maybe there is hope... not a bright hope, but hope...

Again, feel free to call on the goodwill of the volunteers when needed. We will answer the call !
--

Mezmerr

• Underling
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »
I've kept a subscription going for CoH for about three years now. Two subscriptions for about 6 months less than that. Three subscriptions for another six months less.
I have limited experience coding in about a dozen languages, ranging from Scripting to Programming to Markup languages (as well as pre-existing plans to more thoroughly learn a language at some point soon, I've been buying coding books for a couple languages).
I have experience in being admin on a half dozen forums.
I have experience being a manager for a small organisation (still learning!).
I have all this and so much more.
I offer what I have, if it can be used, to help get CoH moving again.

Keep us updated.

Regards,
The man with a thousand names. (I get around)

Cazimi

• Underling
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
Expect a decent number of new members here (like myself) to keep in touch with any plans re: survival of CoX.  I'm a long time CoHer, and used Mid's waaaaay back in the day (thanks!).

As with so many, I will do what I can in the money / time / talents department.

Thank you again for thinking about trying.

"Planet Girl"/Virtue

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 03:39:39 PM »
We don't have much at all, but count DamienRay & Mamma in.  We'll do what we can to support the cause !  Don't let the City die ! 

I REALLY hope there is a big bright light at the end of this tunnel. :)

Orange Dragon

• Underling
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »
Thank you for this.  Just posting to say you have my support.

tony1169

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
I have been playing this game since almost the beginning and I cannot see it closing down.  I will contribute in any way I can.  I am not tremendously wealthy but I will definitely give as much as I can to keep the game going.  I have had so many awesome memories of playing with this game that I want to give back to the community that is truly the best in the MMO world.

tonweight

• Underling
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
Signed up just to say this:  If you manage to pick up the codebase, you've got a developer on staff.

I've never felt sad like this about such news... especially considering that Lineage II is still running. o_O  How is that right, NCSoft?  Oi.  ::headshake::

Myridean

• Underling
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
Not a long time player...just over a year......but I was hooked and I loved it......I probably wouldn't be much use for anything other than advertising on my sites, but you will have that no matter what :) 

Just registered so I could let you all know you have my support!

Dylan Clearbrook (global @Nebularian)
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
Must be something we can do or somebody that can help us. I remember when EA shutdown westwood studios and westwood online and eventually the effort of the community and fan sites paid off and they were able to obtain the westwood online server. Starwars galaxies also has private servers dating back to Pre-Cu and Pre-nge despite it being shut down eventually.

Even if they outright refuse to release the game to us someone out there somewhere will figure out a way to make a private server. I know I can't be the only one that would always have an empty feeling inside of me if this turns out to be the end.

Steamworks

• Underling
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 04:46:12 PM »
Long time CoX player here and first time visitor to the Titan Network. Just wanted to say that I'm on board with this as well. Happy to contribute time, energy and/or money and if any graphic design skills are needed, I can contribute those too. Let's do our best to see Paragon City rise from the proverbial ashes here...