Author Topic: DC's Legends of Tomorrow season 2  (Read 14937 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
DC's Legends of Tomorrow season 2
« on: October 15, 2016, 07:13:44 AM »
I think I'll just have to accept that this series is one whose story I don't care about beyond its capacity to bring together underrepresented bits of the DC universe.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: DC's Legends of Tomorrow season 2
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »
I think I'll just have to accept that this series is one whose story I don't care about beyond its capacity to bring together underrepresented bits of the DC universe.

I like the show, but its a bit all over the place most of the time.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
That device Thawne stole at the end looked familiar...  can anyone help my stupid old memory out there?  And don't tell me they named it in the episode and I missed it...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 02:20:39 PM »
And don't tell me they named it in the episode and I missed it...
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 12:21:07 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised that their version of the JSA wasn't a complete dumpster fire.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised that their version of the JSA wasn't a complete dumpster fire.

I was a bit confused since it seemed in the Arrowverse super powers and humans seemed rather a new thing.
If the JSA was active in the 1940's then shouldn't they have been known about in the present time?

Though they did Stargirl great and a few others. Had that 'Watchmen' vibe with the costumes.
Did a better job I think they when they did the JSA in Smallville.

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »
Thinking they said something like the JSA was a secret organization.  Not well known at the time, and not hidden from history but mostly just a footnote.  Steel's grandson mentions there are pictures of his grandfather online if you know where to look.  Stargirl and Obsidian are the only ones with noticable super powers.  Vixen and Mid-Nite's powers are subtle and would just come across as highly trained humans, as would all the non-powered members (not sure if that version of Steel had the metal skeleton but it's not obvious either way).

The break for me was that they were all the modern versions of the characters in 1942 rather than the originals from the 40s (for the characters who existed in the 40s or later creations officially retconned into the JSA of the 40s)

A little hypocritical of Vixen telling Ray he's not a superhero because he relies on gadgets.  She relies on an artifact, same thing.  As soon as the Nazi's take away the totem, she's sitting in a chair until someone saves her.  Ray doesn't stop when someone takes the suit.

e-
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 07:46:38 PM »
Yay, now we're only short Gypsy and Zatanna before Aquaman can come along and move the whole CW-verse to Detroit!

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »
Thinking they said something like the JSA was a secret organization.  Not well known at the time, and not hidden from history but mostly just a footnote.  Steel's grandson mentions there are pictures of his grandfather online if you know where to look.  Stargirl and Obsidian are the only ones with noticable super powers.  Vixen and Mid-Nite's powers are subtle and would just come across as highly trained humans, as would all the non-powered members (not sure if that version of Steel had the metal skeleton but it's not obvious either way).

The break for me was that they were all the modern versions of the characters in 1942 rather than the originals from the 40s (for the characters who existed in the 40s or later creations officially retconned into the JSA of the 40s)

A little hypocritical of Vixen telling Ray he's not a superhero because he relies on gadgets.  She relies on an artifact, same thing.  As soon as the Nazi's take away the totem, she's sitting in a chair until someone saves her.  Ray doesn't stop when someone takes the suit.

e-

Well I don't see why Ray can't build another suit. He's on a ship from the future, that travels through time. He can get whatever he needs.

And the way Vixen and Rory don't seem to like each other - I am smelling a romance coming up.

100% right on Vixen as well. Ray fought just wearing that old armor. What is it they say - courage is not lack of fear but being afraid and doing it anyway.

Ray may be an idiot sometimes in the common sense department but he has what it takes. (I still can't stop thinking of him as Superman though)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 01:39:44 PM »
I still wish they had gotten the rights to make him Ted Kord instead of Ray Palmer.  Nothing about him really comes across as being based on the comics' Ray Palmer except that he can occasionally shrink.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »
(I still can't stop thinking of him as Superman though)

I'm sure the actor would be glad to hear that seeing as almost no one could think of him as Superman in the movie where he played Superman.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »
I'm sure the actor would be glad to hear that seeing as almost no one could think of him as Superman in the movie where he played Superman.

LOL. I only got to see it because it was in that DVD set with all the other films.

I have to be honest - a few times I could see him as the Chris Reeve Superman. (But that film was a mess).

Who knows - maybe now he can make a real Atom costume and just shrink. I always felt he was just the DC version of Iron Man in the TV Universe anyway.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
I wish they could have followed the look and feel of Miami Vice during the Miami part of the episode (as much as possible).  That earth toned car in the background looked completely out of place!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 10:22:38 PM »
Ok time anomalies be damned, how do you live with yourself if you miss the opportunity to tell George that the fate of the world depends on him retiring in 1990 and never making another movie under any circumstances?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 12:05:17 AM »
Ok time anomalies be damned, how do you live with yourself if you miss the opportunity to tell George that the fate of the world depends on him retiring in 1990 and never making another movie under any circumstances?
That would have been hilarious.  :D
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 01:27:04 AM »
Seriously - they majorly mess up history every week and there are almost no consequences.

Regardless whether Lucas makes his films or not, his life has totally changed and all those people that Dum Dum and Captain Jack killed in 1967 has to add up to some kind of changes.

Barry can knock over a garbage can in the past and totally alter the timeline.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
Seriously - they majorly mess up history every week and there are almost no consequences.

Regardless whether Lucas makes his films or not, his life has totally changed and all those people that Dum Dum and Captain Jack killed in 1967 has to add up to some kind of changes.

Barry can knock over a garbage can in the past and totally alter the timeline.

Time is like water.  You create a change and you create ripples.  But reality is also like a series of discrete pools.  The death of somebody in some town half way across the country may affect those around them drastically but unless they were very important it's like dropping a small pebble into a pool.  The ripples will disturb the pool but never affect the pools all around it.  If the change is big enough it's like throwing a huge boulder into a pool.  The water can splash into adjacent pools which can surge over their banks to affect other pools and so on but a lesser effect each step away.

But the speed force permeates everything.  So creating a ripple using the speed force is like sending a surge into the spring that feeds all the pools.  Even if the pools seem to have no visible connection they still wind up being disturbed.  That's why the Dominators and time wraiths get so upset with Barry.  The Legends time alterations are only affecting Earth.  Barry is messing things up across the multiverse.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 09:01:41 PM »
Time is like water.  You create a change and you create ripples.  But reality is also like a series of discrete pools.  The death of somebody in some town half way across the country may affect those around them drastically but unless they were very important it's like dropping a small pebble into a pool.  The ripples will disturb the pool but never affect the pools all around it.  If the change is big enough it's like throwing a huge boulder into a pool.  The water can splash into adjacent pools which can surge over their banks to affect other pools and so on but a lesser effect each step away.

But the speed force permeates everything.  So creating a ripple using the speed force is like sending a surge into the spring that feeds all the pools.  Even if the pools seem to have no visible connection they still wind up being disturbed.  That's why the Dominators and time wraiths get so upset with Barry.  The Legends time alterations are only affecting Earth.  Barry is messing things up across the multiverse.

But he doesn't us the Speed Force to alter time, just to get there. Its no different whether he runs there faster than light or takes a time ship.
I see what you are saying but even little ripples can add up big time. Its not like the Legends only change one thing like Barry did - they make changes on top of changes.
They messed up a lot in ancient Japan and 1941 and 1967 and whatever else and all should build on top of one another. 

This is just my looking at it of course but I see no difference in Barry changing the timeline by saving his Mom than the Professor talking himself into having a daughter he never had before he messed in the past. Both made a huge change in the timeline.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 09:45:14 PM »
I think I've said this before but these shows would be a lot better if Mandu were supervising the writers.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:41 AM »
Can we just forget about the Legends and get a Legion of Doom show?
Those three are quite the fun to watch. ;D
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.