Author Topic: City of Heroes/Villains Cosplay at (insert convention name) Con!  (Read 26213 times)

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
City of Heroes/Villains Cosplay at (insert convention name) Con!
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:16:32 AM »
Following in the red-booted footsteps of Graphite, who cosplayed as Statesman at the 2012 New York Comic Con, I cosplayed as the City of Heroes signature character at Wizard World Cleveland Comic Con this past weekend. Here are photos showing Statesman from the Wizard World Facebook page:

Here is a link to a library of photos that my brother took of me during the con: Statesman at Wizard World Cleveland Comic Con 2015  (Here are links to the same photos shown in slideshow format and in story format.) As shown in the photo library, I met several City of Heroes players.

For your viewing pleasure.

Todo
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:50:25 AM by Todogut »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Statesman at Wizard World Cleveland Comic Con 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:46:41 PM »
But wait! It's not a very good cosplay! Your face is not mashed abnormally to one side! (Poor Statesman.)

;)

All kidding aside, that looks awesome! (Also: Hawkgirl! EEEEEEE)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
Hawkgirl! EEEEEEE

Hawkgirl won the Best Female Hero award in the costume contest. She told me that she made the mask and wings herself.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »
Way to represent, Todogut!

I didn't hear about the con in time to rearrange my schedule this year, but maybe I'll have to see if I can't check it out next year.  I mean, it's not like I don't commute to Cleveland every day for work, so I'm not going to find a con much closer than that.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 03:24:35 PM »
Excellent!   Thank you for representing Paragon City!

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:04:18 PM »
Awesome costume Todogut!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:15 PM »
That was pretty brilliant.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:32:59 AM »
Tell me that people knew who Statesman is.  Nice job, it made me nostalgic.  Where's my damn game?  :'(

Arc-Mage

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 01:56:18 AM »
Your my Hero :)
Sometimes you just gotta say; The laws of time and space...who gives a smeg.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 04:48:48 AM »
Tell me that people knew who Statesman is.

I had low expectations for Statesman's Q score, mostly based on Graphite's report from when he cosplayed as Statesman at the 2012 New York Comic Con:

Close to no one knew who Statesman was.  More people thought I was "Torchman" then knew who or what City of Heroes was.  That said, every Cosplayer I met had no problem holding a spare torch and some even thought it was an interesting novilty.  This to me speaks volumes of how poor CoX's media budget was.  I think as fans we should be really proud of the strong, sustainable community WE created since it certainly didn't come from Korea.

However, I was surprised and pleased by how many people recognized Statesman at the Cleveland con. Naturally, City of Heroes players responded very positively, which was fun. Every one of them remarked about loving and missing the game.

Still, the great majority of attendees did not seem to know Statesman. Several people asked, who are you?

I was told, the crowd reaction during the costume contest indicated most people didn't know my character. (From my perspective--standing on a brightly lit stage, looking out onto a darkened convention center ballroom--I couldn't tell.) After I got off stage, a CoH player approached and chatted, saying, "Man, you shoulda got a bigger reaction. Almost nobody knew who you were. But I loved it when you came out. That costume's spot on!"

On Wizard World's Facebook page, another audience member commented:

Hubby and I LOVED this guy!! There were only a few in audience that I think know who Statesman is!!!

As we've long known, CoH players aren't the largest fan base; but, we are among the most passionate.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Todo

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 05:37:43 AM »
So, if you're in the Ohio area, any chance you can make it to Origins Game Fair in June?

http://originsgamefair.com/

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 06:34:11 AM »
So, if you're in the Ohio area, any chance you can make it to Origins Game Fair in June?

I live in western Pennsylvania, so Ohio is nearby. I see in the link you provided, there's a costume contest at OGF in Columbus--sounds fun. I trust you will host another CoH meet and greet dinner like last year. Yes, there's a chance I can make it.

Wizard World Comic Con is coming to Pittsburgh on September 11-13, 2015. I plan to go.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 07:25:26 AM »
I just have to say that costume is awesome. :)

I know how good it feels to see the City recognized, and appreciate folks that keep holding the torch. I have a few CoH t-shirts and wear a different one every day at GenCon to see how many folks notice (more than I expected surprisingly) and if I were at a con and saw you, I'd be sure to stop and shake your hand and take a pic.

/e gobacktolurking

Lyc~

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 02:29:47 PM »
Nice job, that costume is awesome!
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

bmorrison

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 02:00:09 AM »
if I had known you were going to be there I would've considered spending the money to go down there (Wizard world tickets aren't cheap)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 03:52:54 AM »
There's a poll going right now at FA Comics where you can vote for your favorite cosplayer from Wizard World Cleveland.

http://facomics.com/?p=11366

"Powers"?  Didn't they at least think to ask who the costume was if they didn't recognize it?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »
There's a poll going right now at FA Comics where you can vote for your favorite cosplayer from Wizard World Cleveland.

http://facomics.com/?p=11366

"Powers"?  Didn't they at least think to ask who the costume was if they didn't recognize it?

Statesman curently has a 10% lead  :D

Great costume  ;)

Vyranix

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 03:09:48 AM »
So damn perfect!  Thanks for keeping the dream alive!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 09:02:28 AM »
yezz, real Boss.
Most  awesome......Looks like that convention was a lot of fun, all those costumed folks. ;D

As for the lack of CoH recognition, to be honest- I couldn't name a single character from:
Halo, World of Warcraft, EverQuest, WildStar, Elder Scrolls...

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 02:36:12 AM »
That's fantastic!  ;D I love the way how you put effort on making that Statesman costume. I also love the way you're representing City of Heroes! Keep up the good work man! #WE ARE HEROES. THIS IS WHAT WE DO.