Author Topic: City of Heroes/Villains Cosplay at (insert convention name) Con!  (Read 26157 times)

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
City of Heroes/Villains Cosplay at (insert convention name) Con!
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:16:32 AM »
Following in the red-booted footsteps of Graphite, who cosplayed as Statesman at the 2012 New York Comic Con, I cosplayed as the City of Heroes signature character at Wizard World Cleveland Comic Con this past weekend. Here are photos showing Statesman from the Wizard World Facebook page:

Here is a link to a library of photos that my brother took of me during the con: Statesman at Wizard World Cleveland Comic Con 2015  (Here are links to the same photos shown in slideshow format and in story format.) As shown in the photo library, I met several City of Heroes players.

For your viewing pleasure.

Todo
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:50:25 AM by Todogut »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Statesman at Wizard World Cleveland Comic Con 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:46:41 PM »
But wait! It's not a very good cosplay! Your face is not mashed abnormally to one side! (Poor Statesman.)

;)

All kidding aside, that looks awesome! (Also: Hawkgirl! EEEEEEE)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
Hawkgirl! EEEEEEE

Hawkgirl won the Best Female Hero award in the costume contest. She told me that she made the mask and wings herself.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »
Way to represent, Todogut!

I didn't hear about the con in time to rearrange my schedule this year, but maybe I'll have to see if I can't check it out next year.  I mean, it's not like I don't commute to Cleveland every day for work, so I'm not going to find a con much closer than that.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 03:24:35 PM »
Excellent!   Thank you for representing Paragon City!

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:04:18 PM »
Awesome costume Todogut!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:15 PM »
That was pretty brilliant.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:32:59 AM »
Tell me that people knew who Statesman is.  Nice job, it made me nostalgic.  Where's my damn game?  :'(

Arc-Mage

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 01:56:18 AM »
Your my Hero :)
Sometimes you just gotta say; The laws of time and space...who gives a smeg.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 04:48:48 AM »
Tell me that people knew who Statesman is.

I had low expectations for Statesman's Q score, mostly based on Graphite's report from when he cosplayed as Statesman at the 2012 New York Comic Con:

Close to no one knew who Statesman was.  More people thought I was "Torchman" then knew who or what City of Heroes was.  That said, every Cosplayer I met had no problem holding a spare torch and some even thought it was an interesting novilty.  This to me speaks volumes of how poor CoX's media budget was.  I think as fans we should be really proud of the strong, sustainable community WE created since it certainly didn't come from Korea.

However, I was surprised and pleased by how many people recognized Statesman at the Cleveland con. Naturally, City of Heroes players responded very positively, which was fun. Every one of them remarked about loving and missing the game.

Still, the great majority of attendees did not seem to know Statesman. Several people asked, who are you?

I was told, the crowd reaction during the costume contest indicated most people didn't know my character. (From my perspective--standing on a brightly lit stage, looking out onto a darkened convention center ballroom--I couldn't tell.) After I got off stage, a CoH player approached and chatted, saying, "Man, you shoulda got a bigger reaction. Almost nobody knew who you were. But I loved it when you came out. That costume's spot on!"

On Wizard World's Facebook page, another audience member commented:

Hubby and I LOVED this guy!! There were only a few in audience that I think know who Statesman is!!!

As we've long known, CoH players aren't the largest fan base; but, we are among the most passionate.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Todo

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 05:37:43 AM »
So, if you're in the Ohio area, any chance you can make it to Origins Game Fair in June?

http://originsgamefair.com/

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 06:34:11 AM »
So, if you're in the Ohio area, any chance you can make it to Origins Game Fair in June?

I live in western Pennsylvania, so Ohio is nearby. I see in the link you provided, there's a costume contest at OGF in Columbus--sounds fun. I trust you will host another CoH meet and greet dinner like last year. Yes, there's a chance I can make it.

Wizard World Comic Con is coming to Pittsburgh on September 11-13, 2015. I plan to go.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 07:25:26 AM »
I just have to say that costume is awesome. :)

I know how good it feels to see the City recognized, and appreciate folks that keep holding the torch. I have a few CoH t-shirts and wear a different one every day at GenCon to see how many folks notice (more than I expected surprisingly) and if I were at a con and saw you, I'd be sure to stop and shake your hand and take a pic.

/e gobacktolurking

Lyc~

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 02:29:47 PM »
Nice job, that costume is awesome!
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

bmorrison

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 02:00:09 AM »
if I had known you were going to be there I would've considered spending the money to go down there (Wizard world tickets aren't cheap)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 03:52:54 AM »
There's a poll going right now at FA Comics where you can vote for your favorite cosplayer from Wizard World Cleveland.

http://facomics.com/?p=11366

"Powers"?  Didn't they at least think to ask who the costume was if they didn't recognize it?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »
There's a poll going right now at FA Comics where you can vote for your favorite cosplayer from Wizard World Cleveland.

"Powers"?  Didn't they at least think to ask who the costume was if they didn't recognize it?

Statesman curently has a 10% lead  :D

Great costume  ;)

Vyranix

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 03:09:48 AM »
So damn perfect!  Thanks for keeping the dream alive!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 09:02:28 AM »
yezz, real Boss.
Most  awesome......Looks like that convention was a lot of fun, all those costumed folks. ;D

As for the lack of CoH recognition, to be honest- I couldn't name a single character from:
Halo, World of Warcraft, EverQuest, WildStar, Elder Scrolls...

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 02:36:12 AM »
That's fantastic!  ;D I love the way how you put effort on making that Statesman costume. I also love the way you're representing City of Heroes! Keep up the good work man! #WE ARE HEROES. THIS IS WHAT WE DO.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 04:27:06 PM »
I trust you will host another CoH meet and greet dinner like last year. Yes, there's a chance I can make it.

Yep!  Basically, as long as I'm going to GenCon and Origins, and as long as there's interest, I'll continue to host.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 11:59:49 PM »
I processed an image with the famous "Statesman charge" illustration (from the box cover, wallpaper, and screen saver) in the background and a photo of me cosplaying the pose in the foreground:

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 12:38:48 AM »
I have to add my kudos to you.  You do the suit justice.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 06:21:22 AM »
Woah, Statesman!  I'm glad the reports of your death was greatly exaggerated!  Fantastic costume!  Be honest, you hooked up with Hawkgirl, didn't you?

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »
Be honest, you hooked up with Hawkgirl, didn't you?

She was attended to by her husband.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 05:11:30 PM »
Awesome costume!  :)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »

Statesman is in the lead! By a good margin, too. Keep voting!
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »
And Statesman won!

38% of the votes!

Congrats Todogut!

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 06:19:36 PM »
And Statesman won!

38% of the votes!

Congrats Todogut!

Yes! :)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »
Woohoo! Congrats! :D

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 07:24:09 PM »
http://facomics.com/?p=11853

Quote from: FA Comics
Very early into voting, the Statesman took the lead and never looked back. City of Heroes may have ended a little over two years ago, but that has not quelled the giant fan base. This was a fantastic costume that brought forth some great memories. The servers are down, but City of Heroes will always live on in our hearts and with some amazing cosplayers.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2015, 10:16:36 AM »
And Statesman won!

38% of the votes!

Congrats Todogut!

I just posed for a picture. The voters won the contest. Yay, CoH!  :)

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 03:38:47 AM »
GabboT on Flickr uploaded a photo of Statesman onstage during the costume contest.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »
Can you tell us more about the costume making process? Where'd you get those boots? How'd you make the mask?

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »
Can you tell us more about the costume making process? Where'd you get those boots? How'd you make the mask?

The bodysuit, cape, and boots were made by ZentaiFan.com. They sell premade costumes, but I used their custom-making service. I emailed them some reference photos of Statesman and a diagram that I drew, and they sewed the bodysuit and cape. The boots are actually for sale on their site as Red Power Ranger Superhero Boots.

The silver Spartan half-helmet was made by Angelsrflamabl on DeviantArt. He is a talented mask-maker who sells castings of his various fantasy/gaming/comics masks. I actually bought a casting of his Silver-Chrome Statesman Mask from another DeviantArt member.

The belt I bought online from an Army-Navy Surplus store. I crafted the belt buckle from EVA foam.

The circular clasp for Statesman's cape is made of light-weight wood, which I bought at an arts and crafts store and spray-painted silver.

Todo

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »
What about the torch?   ;D

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »
What about the torch?   ;D

Thanks for reminding me. I bought a toy torch at Toys R Us.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »
I hear congoratz are in order... ;D
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
Re: City of Heroes/Villains Cosplay at (insert convention name) Con!
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 03:48:22 AM »
Statesman and fellow City of Heroes player Diamond D, a DJ at The Cape Radio, met at Steel City Con in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on April 12, 2015.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »
costume looks great Todogut!

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2015, 07:29:24 AM »
This past weekend, I cosplayed as Statesman at Wizard World Comic Con in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

For me, one of the highlights was meeting cosplayer Jason Evans, who attended in his Man of Steel costume. Here's how he looked as Superman along with his companion, Wonder Woman:

Among the crowd of con-goers, including many people dressed in costume, Jason didn't look like just another guy in a costume... he looked like Superman. Pretty awesome. It helps that he has the handsome looks and muscular build of a movie star. Jason remarked about how he wanted to wear his New 52 Superman costume; but, my understanding is he felt it wasn't quite ready.

Additionally, I attended a question and answer panel by Hayley Atwell, star of Agent Carter of SHIELD; a cosplay panel hosted by Soni Aralynn; and an interview panel with movie director Roger Corman.

I met several people who were City of Heroes players. A Wizard World staffperson, Damian Beurer (who is also host of the Super Power Beat Down videos), recognized Statesman. I was standing with the 149 other people who entered the costume contest while Damian shouted instructions to us before we went on stage, and he began to name characters in the crowd... he looked in my direction and announced, "We have Statesman here tonight!"

Alas, most people at the convention did not know who Statesman was. Several people remarked, they thought I was Magneto (because of the helmet).

Jason David Frank, who played the green/white ranger on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, was one of the judges for the costume contest along with two experienced cosplayers. Of course, the winners had really great costumes.

Overall, it was a fun experience; albeit rigorous due to the lengthy driving distance from my home.

Todo

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2015, 05:24:24 PM »
Someone uploaded a video on YouTube showing the entire Philly costume contest. Statesman appears at the 47:30 mark.

Here are some screen captures:

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2015, 03:25:44 AM »
At Origins Game Fair this weekend, Statesman was number two!

That is, Statesman was awarded second place in the comic book category of the costume contest. Here is a link to a YouTube video showing the costume contest. Statesman appears around the 6:30 mark.

The contest prizes were very generous, awarding cash and other goodies in five categories: fantasy, sci-fi, comic books, TV/movies, and children 12 & under. Statesman received $100 and a pass to next year's Origins convention -- hooray!

Todo

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 09:12:40 PM »
On August 22, Statesman attended WV Pop Culture Con in Morgantown, West Virginia. He participated in the Adult Novice Cosplay Contest and received a Judges Choice award from one of the judges, Sam Brooker (also known as BioCosplay). Statesman also received a $25 gift certificate to Comic Paradise Plus in Fairmont/Westover, West Virginia.

Esteemed cosplay photographer Wes Smith (also known as The Portrait Dude) took the following photos of Statesman:

All of these photos were taken in a brightly lit convention room with a very high ceiling. Evidently, Wes' photographic technique created the dramatic dark background effect--neat!

Todo

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »
Wow!  :o  Those look great!

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
Statesman attended Wizard World Comic Con in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on September 12, 2015. Here's a photo by a Wizard World staffer taken just before the costume contest (click on the photo to view a gallery of all contestants):

Here's some more official Wizard World photos showing Statesman. (Although, you might have to look closely to spot him.)

The panel presentation by pro wrestler Paige.

The Con Radio podcast.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:19:26 PM by Todogut »

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2015, 05:40:53 PM »
Does Statesman have new, better-looking spandex?

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2015, 06:09:22 PM »
Does Statesman have new, better-looking spandex?

Yes, glad you noticed. The current bodysuit is a commissioned pattern by Orhadar of Gun Head Design .com and Facebook, and it was printed and sewn by ZentaiFan.com.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
Statesman attended Wizard World Comic Con in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on September 12, 2015. Here's a photo by a Wizard World staffer taken just before the costume contest (click on the photo to view a gallery of all contestants):

Nice, you had the best costume there.  Hawkeye and the adorable mini SHIELD Agent was a close 2nd.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »
At Origins Game Fair this weekend, Statesman was number two!

That is, Statesman was awarded second place in the comic book category of the costume contest. Here is a link to a YouTube video showing the costume contest. Statesman appears around the 6:30 mark.

The contest prizes were very generous, awarding cash and other goodies in five categories: fantasy, sci-fi, comic books, TV/movies, and children 12 & under. Statesman received $100 and a pass to next year's Origins convention -- hooray!

Todo
Awesome job, btw the video is marked private :(
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2015, 10:13:29 PM »
Awesome job...

Thanks.

... btw the video is marked private :(

Yeah, unfortunately, it looks like the person who uploaded the video changed the setting. I can't view it now either.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2015, 04:23:36 AM »
Statesman attended Cincinnati Comic Expo in Cincinnati, Ohio on Saturday, September 19, 2015. Here are photos/videos of Statesman taken at the Click 360 Degrees booth.

Click on the images above to see the videos. (You might be required to enter the access code: ComicExpo.)

Here is a link to the video gallery from CCE2015. You might get a pop-up window requiring you to enter the access code: ComicExpo.

Todo

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 01:17:05 PM »
That's a really cool booth. Did it cost money to get a pic taken?

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »
On August 22, Statesman attended WV Pop Culture Con in Morgantown, West Virginia. He participated in the Adult Novice Cosplay Contest and received a Judges Choice award from one of the judges, Sam Brooker (also known as BioCosplay). Statesman also received a $25 gift certificate to Comic Paradise Plus in Fairmont/Westover, West Virginia.

That first photo, in particular, looks like a screen capture right out of the game. 

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 05:49:12 PM »
Did it cost money to get a pic taken?

No charge; it was free for any con-goer to pose for the photo. And the water-marked video could be downloaded for free.

There are additional items that you can pay for including:
- The video without the watermark advertisement - $6
- A printed flipbook of the video - $9
- A 3D figurine, statue, file - request quote

That first photo, in particular, looks like a screen capture right out of the game.

The photographer, Wes Smith (also known as The Portrait Dude), also worked at Cincinnati Comic Expo, and he took some more photos of Statesman. I'll post the photos as soon as Wes uploads them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:13:43 PM by Todogut »

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
Wonderful costume, and terrific photos.  I especially liked the "Statesman" montage, and the beautiful work by "The Portrait Dude".  Thanks so much for sharing these.

Kiddletron

• Underling
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2015, 03:46:46 PM »
Hey fellas! I'm currently building an Arachnos Wolf/Bane Spider mook uniform! I'll post some pictures as I work.

I'm using Icon for my references.
Spoiler for Hidden:

The majority of the armor pieces are sculpted fiberglass with vacuum formed PETG on the outside to give it that smooth look. The helmet will have some cushion on the inside, but will be made solely of PETG. I've got the red LEDs ready for the mace and helmet!
The mace will be built on a PVC pipe. I'll wrap the end of the pipe with fiberglass to give it that heavy mace look and cut small "blades" out of wood to put on it.
Spoiler for Hidden:

I'll make a thread just for the project sometime, after I have more progress and pictures!

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2015, 04:39:26 PM »
Kiddletron, an Arachnos Wolf/Bane Spider uniform sounds like a great cosplay. Please do post in-progress reports and images.

I didn't know what PETG was, so I Googled and learned it stands for polyethylene terephthalate... hard to spell and hard to pronounce. I haven't heard nor read about this material being used for cosplay costume/prop making. Sounds like sturdy construction material.

A lot of cosplay armor and weapons are made from EVA foam. There are a lot of tutorials online, such as this one. The Evil Ted Smith YouTube channel is a great resouce with videos by a professional Hollywood prop maker.

Good luck!

Todo

Kiddletron

• Underling
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2015, 04:54:01 PM »
Thanks for the input, but I want this thing to be really rigid and able to take a punch square in the face.
These are some great tutorials though, and I'll keep them in mind for the spider harness!

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2015, 05:42:29 PM »
... I want this thing to be really rigid and able to take a punch square in the face.

Check out this video about Real Life Batsuit: Combat Armor.

Kiddletron

• Underling
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »
Check out this video about Real Life Batsuit: Combat Armor.

That was a really neat suit. If I could afford the materials he used to make that, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The Kydex plates aren't too expensive, but being a poor farmer doesn't help much either.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2015, 07:23:03 PM »
Statesman appears in the following video BALTIMORE COMIC CON 2015 EPIC COSPLAY HIGHLIGHT by JKIProductionz (briefly, at the 1:09-1:13 mark).

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
One of the leading pattern makers for superhero dye sublimation costumes, Mark Dupuis, also known as Sonjou of 4 NEO Designs (.com and FaceBook), has just released a new Statesman pattern--both male and female versions. Here is a link to a gallery of images showing the pattern.

You can buy Mark's pattern and use it to make your own Statesman costume--just in time for Halloween!

FeliciaDivine

• Lieutenant
    • IMVU Fashion Elite
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2015, 06:06:23 PM »
Fantastic thread, I love what your doing Todogut.

I would like to ask if you know of any regulations regarding outfits, I think It would be important to know.

Kiddletron is making a weapon...and if it is heavy...it's likely it will be taken at the door.

I presume anything overly revealing would also be a no no...in game I had two main outfits...my Justice Armor sg uniform (in black/gold) and my regular Metallic outfit in blue (also known by CoH'ers as the stripper outfit). Since the Metallic outfit is much like Victoria secret lingerie I would hesitate to wear it in public...but to bring more attention to CoH...I would wear it.

It has been many years since I have been to a convention...seeing this thread...it might be time for me to return :)

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2015, 07:56:55 PM »
Fantastic thread, I love what your doing Todogut.

Thanks!

I would like to ask if you know of any regulations regarding outfits, I think It would be important to know.

Kiddletron is making a weapon...and if it is heavy...it's likely it will be taken at the door.

Yes, each convention I've been to has had its own policies regarding weapons, footwear, revealing costumes, etcetera. For example, here is a link to the Origins Game Fair Code of Conduct. You can check out the website for a particular con for specifics.

Because cons are usually held in a big, commercial hotel or convention center, guests are bound by the venue's rules. In general, weapon props are allowed, even large and heavy ones, so long as they are not dangerous. One important, legal requirement regarding firearm props is, the tip of the gun or rifle prop must be covered by red/orange plastic to clearly show that the firearm is a toy replica and not a real weapon. Fireworks, open flames, or other potentially hazardous effects are not allowed.

I've seen all kinds of big medieval weapons at conventions such as great swords, halberds, and so on. Usually, they are not authentic weapons; instead, they are prop replicas made with light-weight crafting foam--pretty neat.

I presume anything overly revealing would also be a no no...

Yes... but, as a Google search on cosplay will show, there can be quite a bit of leeway. For example, most cons require footwear... that is, no bare feet. You must wear shoes, boots, sandals, flip-flops... something covering the feet. Some con policy statements give rather vague guidance about how revealing a costume can be, stating something like, "This is a family event, so keep it clean."

If your costume covers as much as a two-piece bathing suit that could be worn at a public swimming pool, you shouldn't have any problem being admitted to a con. For some revealing outfits, cosplayers wear a base layer of flesh-colored spandex tights. From a distance, it looks like a lot of skin is showing; but, in fact, pretty much everything is covered.

It has been many years since I have been to a convention...seeing this thread...it might be time for me to return :)

Cool! If you do, post pictures here.  :)