Author Topic: City of Heroes/Villains Cosplay at (insert convention name) Con!  (Read 26248 times)

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
Re: City of Heroes/Villains Cosplay at (insert convention name) Con!
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2015, 07:29:24 AM »
This past weekend, I cosplayed as Statesman at Wizard World Comic Con in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

For me, one of the highlights was meeting cosplayer Jason Evans, who attended in his Man of Steel costume. Here's how he looked as Superman along with his companion, Wonder Woman:

Among the crowd of con-goers, including many people dressed in costume, Jason didn't look like just another guy in a costume... he looked like Superman. Pretty awesome. It helps that he has the handsome looks and muscular build of a movie star. Jason remarked about how he wanted to wear his New 52 Superman costume; but, my understanding is he felt it wasn't quite ready.

Additionally, I attended a question and answer panel by Hayley Atwell, star of Agent Carter of SHIELD; a cosplay panel hosted by Soni Aralynn; and an interview panel with movie director Roger Corman.

I met several people who were City of Heroes players. A Wizard World staffperson, Damian Beurer (who is also host of the Super Power Beat Down videos), recognized Statesman. I was standing with the 149 other people who entered the costume contest while Damian shouted instructions to us before we went on stage, and he began to name characters in the crowd... he looked in my direction and announced, "We have Statesman here tonight!"

Alas, most people at the convention did not know who Statesman was. Several people remarked, they thought I was Magneto (because of the helmet).

Jason David Frank, who played the green/white ranger on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, was one of the judges for the costume contest along with two experienced cosplayers. Of course, the winners had really great costumes.

Overall, it was a fun experience; albeit rigorous due to the lengthy driving distance from my home.

Todo

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2015, 05:24:24 PM »
Someone uploaded a video on YouTube showing the entire Philly costume contest. Statesman appears at the 47:30 mark.

Here are some screen captures:

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2015, 03:25:44 AM »
At Origins Game Fair this weekend, Statesman was number two!

That is, Statesman was awarded second place in the comic book category of the costume contest. Here is a link to a YouTube video showing the costume contest. Statesman appears around the 6:30 mark.

The contest prizes were very generous, awarding cash and other goodies in five categories: fantasy, sci-fi, comic books, TV/movies, and children 12 & under. Statesman received $100 and a pass to next year's Origins convention -- hooray!

Todo

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 09:12:40 PM »
On August 22, Statesman attended WV Pop Culture Con in Morgantown, West Virginia. He participated in the Adult Novice Cosplay Contest and received a Judges Choice award from one of the judges, Sam Brooker (also known as BioCosplay). Statesman also received a $25 gift certificate to Comic Paradise Plus in Fairmont/Westover, West Virginia.

Esteemed cosplay photographer Wes Smith (also known as The Portrait Dude) took the following photos of Statesman:

All of these photos were taken in a brightly lit convention room with a very high ceiling. Evidently, Wes' photographic technique created the dramatic dark background effect--neat!

Todo

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »
Wow!  :o  Those look great!
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
Statesman attended Wizard World Comic Con in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on September 12, 2015. Here's a photo by a Wizard World staffer taken just before the costume contest (click on the photo to view a gallery of all contestants):

Here's some more official Wizard World photos showing Statesman. (Although, you might have to look closely to spot him.)

The panel presentation by pro wrestler Paige.

The Con Radio podcast.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:19:26 PM by Todogut »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2015, 05:40:53 PM »
Does Statesman have new, better-looking spandex?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2015, 06:09:22 PM »
Does Statesman have new, better-looking spandex?

Yes, glad you noticed. The current bodysuit is a commissioned pattern by Orhadar of Gun Head Design .com and Facebook, and it was printed and sewn by ZentaiFan.com.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
Statesman attended Wizard World Comic Con in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on September 12, 2015. Here's a photo by a Wizard World staffer taken just before the costume contest (click on the photo to view a gallery of all contestants):

Nice, you had the best costume there.  Hawkeye and the adorable mini SHIELD Agent was a close 2nd.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »
At Origins Game Fair this weekend, Statesman was number two!

That is, Statesman was awarded second place in the comic book category of the costume contest. Here is a link to a YouTube video showing the costume contest. Statesman appears around the 6:30 mark.

The contest prizes were very generous, awarding cash and other goodies in five categories: fantasy, sci-fi, comic books, TV/movies, and children 12 & under. Statesman received $100 and a pass to next year's Origins convention -- hooray!

Todo
Awesome job, btw the video is marked private :(
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2015, 10:13:29 PM »
Awesome job...

Thanks.

... btw the video is marked private :(

Yeah, unfortunately, it looks like the person who uploaded the video changed the setting. I can't view it now either.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2015, 04:23:36 AM »
Statesman attended Cincinnati Comic Expo in Cincinnati, Ohio on Saturday, September 19, 2015. Here are photos/videos of Statesman taken at the Click 360 Degrees booth.

Click on the images above to see the videos. (You might be required to enter the access code: ComicExpo.)

Here is a link to the video gallery from CCE2015. You might get a pop-up window requiring you to enter the access code: ComicExpo.

Todo

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 01:17:05 PM »
That's a really cool booth. Did it cost money to get a pic taken?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »
On August 22, Statesman attended WV Pop Culture Con in Morgantown, West Virginia. He participated in the Adult Novice Cosplay Contest and received a Judges Choice award from one of the judges, Sam Brooker (also known as BioCosplay). Statesman also received a $25 gift certificate to Comic Paradise Plus in Fairmont/Westover, West Virginia.

That first photo, in particular, looks like a screen capture right out of the game. 

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 05:49:12 PM »
Did it cost money to get a pic taken?

No charge; it was free for any con-goer to pose for the photo. And the water-marked video could be downloaded for free.

There are additional items that you can pay for including:
- The video without the watermark advertisement - $6
- A printed flipbook of the video - $9
- A 3D figurine, statue, file - request quote

That first photo, in particular, looks like a screen capture right out of the game.

The photographer, Wes Smith (also known as The Portrait Dude), also worked at Cincinnati Comic Expo, and he took some more photos of Statesman. I'll post the photos as soon as Wes uploads them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:13:43 PM by Todogut »

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
Wonderful costume, and terrific photos.  I especially liked the "Statesman" montage, and the beautiful work by "The Portrait Dude".  Thanks so much for sharing these.

Kiddletron

• Underling
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2015, 03:46:46 PM »
Hey fellas! I'm currently building an Arachnos Wolf/Bane Spider mook uniform! I'll post some pictures as I work.

I'm using Icon for my references.
Spoiler for Hidden:

The majority of the armor pieces are sculpted fiberglass with vacuum formed PETG on the outside to give it that smooth look. The helmet will have some cushion on the inside, but will be made solely of PETG. I've got the red LEDs ready for the mace and helmet!
The mace will be built on a PVC pipe. I'll wrap the end of the pipe with fiberglass to give it that heavy mace look and cut small "blades" out of wood to put on it.
Spoiler for Hidden:

I'll make a thread just for the project sometime, after I have more progress and pictures!

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2015, 04:39:26 PM »
Kiddletron, an Arachnos Wolf/Bane Spider uniform sounds like a great cosplay. Please do post in-progress reports and images.

I didn't know what PETG was, so I Googled and learned it stands for polyethylene terephthalate... hard to spell and hard to pronounce. I haven't heard nor read about this material being used for cosplay costume/prop making. Sounds like sturdy construction material.

A lot of cosplay armor and weapons are made from EVA foam. There are a lot of tutorials online, such as this one. The Evil Ted Smith YouTube channel is a great resouce with videos by a professional Hollywood prop maker.

Good luck!

Todo

Kiddletron

• Underling
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2015, 04:54:01 PM »
Thanks for the input, but I want this thing to be really rigid and able to take a punch square in the face.
These are some great tutorials though, and I'll keep them in mind for the spider harness!

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2015, 05:42:29 PM »
... I want this thing to be really rigid and able to take a punch square in the face.

Check out this video about Real Life Batsuit: Combat Armor.