Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748548 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #6100 on: September 22, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
Well what is going to be done about the face book guys then?  They are starting to spread rumors that the talks had failed and no one is saying anything.

Honestly, does it matter?  I can't even find whatever discussion you're referencing with a cursory search.  How many dozens of people are listening to those rumors bouncing around the echo chamber?  Where is it spreading to that I would necessarily care about?

Is it actually any more significant than me starting rumors about City of Heroes negotiations in my office building?

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #6101 on: September 22, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »
Well what is going to be done about the face book guys then?  They are starting to spread rumors that the talks had failed and no one is saying anything.
What can anyone say to appease the masses?

Does Downix or the hail mary team have ANY reason to delay announcing the success OR failure of the negotiations? The only thing they can't comment on is the progress of the negotiations.

It ain't over til the fat lady sings.

It ain't over til its over.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6102 on: September 22, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
If the talks were to fail it would be a simple thing for them to say - looks like our only hopes are now CoT.

No violation of NDA and we would know.

However Downix and Irish Girl both have been here in the last month saying - work still ongoing slow but sure.

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #6103 on: September 22, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
Probably not, I think most of NC Soft resources is ... working on F2P Guildwars 2 ...

Actually, not really.  ArenaNet is now Publisher of that title.

Link to MassivelyOP interview snippet - towards the bottom of the write-up

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6104 on: September 22, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
If the talks were to fail it would be a simple thing for them to say - looks like our only hopes are now CoT.

No violation of NDA and we would know.

However Downix and Irish Girl both have been here in the last month saying - work still ongoing slow but sure.

There are always two issues to consider when being a party to an NDA.  The first one is the obvious one: recognizing there are legal ramifications for violating the agreement.  But there's a second one that's usually more important: deals require trust, and someone attempting to game the NDA is instrinsicly untrustworthy: if that's how they are going to treat the NDA, how will they treat any other contract we try to have with them.  So its not just about the letter of the law, its also a form of test to see if you are worth dealing with.  People who push the envelope on the NDA may or may not face legal repercussions, but will almost certainly find themselves in a bad place when it comes to any future negotiations, assuming people don't just plain walk away from them.

This is important because its rare to find a genuinely air-tight contract; even NDAs have all sorts of loopholes.  But you attempt to exploit them at your own risk.  Knowing this, people tend to be extra careful when dealing with NDAs when a deal is still in the works.  But when it all falls apart, leaks tend to happen much more frequently because the need to preserve the trust of the situation is lower.  More people are more likely to talk about more things.  If the deal has completely collapsed with no hope of restarting or salvaging, we'd hear about it.  No matter what the NDA says, even if it says they can't talk about the negotiations even if they fail, there's always a loop hole that allows you to say at least something.  The fact that people aren't saying anything suggests that a deal is still possible.  If it were not, we'd hear something, NDA or not.  No NDA can prevent you from saying "I've decided to no longer spend any time on any project which has the goal of negotiating the rights to any part of City of Heroes with any party."  If everyone involved stated that, we'd know it was dead, even though it says nothing about any negotiations that might be happening now.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6105 on: September 22, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
Actually, not really.  ArenaNet is now Publisher of that title.

Link to MassivelyOP interview snippet - towards the bottom of the write-up

Isn't AreaNet a sub of NCSoft?

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #6106 on: September 22, 2015, 08:31:01 PM »

I believe that is correct.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #6107 on: September 22, 2015, 08:32:29 PM »

Yes, NCSoft does still own ANet,  but it appears that ANet is taking everything GW2 related in-house.  The only mention of NCSoft in the entire EULA now is in regards to European organization.  Otherwise NCSoft doesn't appear anywhere else.  Also, the NCSoft logo is nowhere to be found on the GW2 website, the launcher, promotional materials for the upcoming expansion, etc...  Further, on the NCSoft site, while there is a link to GW2's website at the bottom of the page, if you use the "Games" dropbox at the top, GW2 is not listed there (only Aion, B&S, L2, and WS).

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6108 on: September 22, 2015, 08:39:41 PM »
Yes, NCSoft does still own ANet,  but it appears that ANet is taking everything GW2 related in-house.  The only mention of NCSoft in the entire EULA now is in regards to European organization.  Otherwise NCSoft doesn't appear anywhere else.  Also, the NCSoft logo is nowhere to be found on the GW2 website, the launcher, promotional materials for the upcoming expansion, etc...  Further, on the NCSoft site, while there is a link to GW2's website at the bottom of the page, if you use the "Games" dropbox at the top, GW2 is not listed there (only Aion, B&S, L2, and WS).

That weird so is AreaNet is legally "under" NCSoft, but acts like their own company?

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #6109 on: September 22, 2015, 09:24:10 PM »
That weird so is AreaNet is legally "under" NCSoft, but acts like their own company?

That's what it looks like to me.  Frankly I was a little surprised when this news hit that it wasn't a bigger story.  All I've ever seen on it save some forum posts @ GW2 is that MassivelyOP blurb I linked.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6110 on: September 22, 2015, 09:47:18 PM »
That's what it looks like to me.  Frankly I was a little surprised when this news hit that it wasn't a bigger story.  All I've ever seen on it save some forum posts @ GW2 is that MassivelyOP blurb I linked.

If anything (probably just reading into way too much) this shows NC Soft willing to have some leniency with their IPs if they allow Areanet to have the amount of control I am thinking (and you are suggesting they have) This can be a positive sign in the mind set of NCSoft.

Out of curiosity (I don't follow Guild Wars so I am very ignorant of anything affiliated with that brand) did NCSoft Always started with absolute control of the IP, or was it always in the hands if AreaNet that was a sub of NCSoft and NCSoft for whatever reason just granted AreaNet more autonomy?

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #6111 on: September 22, 2015, 09:53:41 PM »
If anything (probably just reading into way too much) this shows NC Soft willing to have some leniency with their IPs if they allow Areanet to have the amount of control I am thinking (and you are suggesting they have) This can be a positive sign in the mind set of NCSoft.

Out of curiosity (I don't follow Guild Wars so I am very ignorant of anything affiliated with that brand) did NCSoft Always started with absolute control of the IP, or was it always in the hands if AreaNet that was a sub of NCSoft and NCSoft for whatever reason just granted AreaNet more autonomy?

ANet was always its own entity, just one that is owned by NCSoft.  NCSoft handled Publishing, Customer Support, and Account Management, but this recent turn changed all that and placed it in ANet's hands.  As far as I can tell, the only thing NCSoft does now is provide financial backing/support to ANet (and based on the new EULA, some form of legal/corporate structure for the EU region), and collects their cut of the proceeds.  Everything else is ANet.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6112 on: September 22, 2015, 10:08:30 PM »
ANet was always its own entity, just one that is owned by NCSoft.  NCSoft handled Publishing, Customer Support, and Account Management, but this recent turn changed all that and placed it in ANet's hands.  As far as I can tell, the only thing NCSoft does now is provide financial backing/support to ANet (and based on the new EULA, some form of legal/corporate structure for the EU region), and collects their cut of the proceeds.  Everything else is ANet.

Good to know, I learn something new every day.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #6113 on: September 22, 2015, 11:59:57 PM »
Actually... I won the lottery 2 years ago. I've owned City of Heroes for about 20 months now. I offered 50 million and they told me the game would be mine in 3 years. I offered 100 million and got it in 3 months. I'm paying $500,000 a month to NCSoft to string the CoH fans along thinking they're going to get it any minute!

See. Rumors are fun!

Sadly, it's so cheap to type this stuff. Don't put any stock in anything besides Nate saying "It's over and we need to start another plan" or "Anyone ready for a sewer run?"

Find other stuff to play, be social with us here and maybe help the Valiance, CoT and other projects with your wallet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:55:50 AM by Rejolt »
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6114 on: September 23, 2015, 12:26:14 AM »
Is it actually any more significant than me starting rumors about City of Heroes negotiations in my office building?

This just in: The new City of Heroes server will be located in Arcana's office building!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #6115 on: September 23, 2015, 12:32:08 AM »
I suspected as much.  ;)
What was no more, is now reborn!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #6116 on: September 23, 2015, 01:35:19 AM »
Is it that time already? Dooooooommmm :).
Seriously, I am glad the team is continuing. And I can wait until the deal is signed and delivered. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6117 on: September 23, 2015, 04:43:59 AM »
Nothing, because they are dumb?
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Surelle

« Reply #6118 on: September 23, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »

Is this the same group of folks with the leader who threatened to reveal the whole deal and team, backers and all, by Day X if the team didn't come forth and do it?

Clearly, trusting them with pertinent information after that is the *last* thing anyone from the Hail Mary Team would do in a million years.   So the fact that they think nothing whatsoever is happening should be seen as a *good* thing.   :P

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6119 on: September 23, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »

Give them a short sharp kick to the head.  They clearly can't be trusted with sensitive data so they really don't need to be told anything other then to stay silent.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!