Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748810 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5860 on: August 17, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »
For my own amusement I was thinking a delay install button that doesn't work but makes you feel in control would be golden.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5861 on: August 17, 2015, 03:45:11 PM »
Although I haven't played with this much myself, I've been told the metered connection option only exists on Wifi connections.  The option isn't available for ethernet connections.

MS: "Sorry, Eastern Europe." ?

As I am on Windows 10 Home, I speak with experience. You can delay the installation with the option Settings > Update & security > Advanced options > Notify to schedule restart. You'll be notified to schedule a restart, which is when it'll install the updates it automatically downloaded.

I haven't tested it in great detail, but I think that only controls when the restart happens, not when the updates are actually installed. More than once I've gone into the updates window on a Win10 Home laptop to see that it wanted to reboot and was saying it would restart at 3:15 AM with an option to defer, but it looked like the updates it was rebooting for had already been installed.

Also, not all updates require a reboot, even in Win7 and 8.

One other thing I noticed is that Win10 Home completely removes support for connecting to a WSUS server.

My control group for that was a Win8.1 Pro desktop and a Win8.1 Home laptop, both of which were configured through Group Policy to get their updates from a WSUS server, therefore they only see updates that I have approved.

After upgrading them both to Win10 with no other changes, the Pro machine still only shows updates approved through WSUS (and it hilariously shows up as "Windows Vista" in the WSUS management console now). The Win10 Home machine no longer updates its status in WSUS and seems to be getting updates directly from Microsoft, ignoring the policy settings entirely.

Talon Blue

• Minion
« Reply #5862 on: August 17, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »
Had I known Triumph was a east coast server I would have played on it. Started on Victory, when I finally had enough of not finding teams... especially redside, I jumped to Virtue.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5863 on: August 17, 2015, 06:38:30 PM »
When I first started playing City (or rather, shortly afterwards, when I got my own account: I started playing on my brother's account) I picked Triumph as my home server, because it was at the top of the server list.

This was exactly why I picked Triumph myself, it was at the top of the list.

If I knew then what I know now....
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5864 on: August 17, 2015, 06:44:53 PM »
For being a small server, it seems like there is alot of people on this forum from Triumph

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5865 on: August 17, 2015, 06:51:06 PM »
I haven't tested it in great detail, but I think that only controls when the restart happens, not when the updates are actually installed. More than once I've gone into the updates window on a Win10 Home laptop to see that it wanted to reboot and was saying it would restart at 3:15 AM with an option to defer, but it looked like the updates it was rebooting for had already been installed.

Yep, that setting only controls reboot, not installation.

Also, not all updates require a reboot, even in Win7 and 8.

Yep yep.  This has already caused issues.

One other thing I noticed is that Win10 Home completely removes support for connecting to a WSUS server.

My control group for that was a Win8.1 Pro desktop and a Win8.1 Home laptop, both of which were configured through Group Policy to get their updates from a WSUS server, therefore they only see updates that I have approved.

After upgrading them both to Win10 with no other changes, the Pro machine still only shows updates approved through WSUS (and it hilariously shows up as "Windows Vista" in the WSUS management console now). The Win10 Home machine no longer updates its status in WSUS and seems to be getting updates directly from Microsoft, ignoring the policy settings entirely.

Apparently this was a very deliberate change.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5866 on: August 17, 2015, 09:46:42 PM »
I assumed the disproportionate number of Triumphers on these forums had to do with hardcore forum types being disproportionately pantsless.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5867 on: August 17, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
For being a small server, it seems like there is alot of people on this forum from Triumph

I picked Justice.  It sounded coolest.  :)

Balince

• Minion
« Reply #5868 on: August 17, 2015, 10:16:49 PM »
I picked Justice.  It sounded coolest.  :)
I thought Infinity had the coolest name, I would of chosen that server had my friend not already been playing on guardian. I don't regret being on guardian though, found a great SG to be apart of.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5869 on: August 18, 2015, 01:25:39 AM »
I assumed the disproportionate number of Triumphers on these forums had to do with hardcore forum types being disproportionately pantsless.

Almost every server was crazy in its own unique way, but Triumph seemed to be crazy in a very peculiar way in which trying to be crazy was penalized, but just straight up being crazy was rewarded.  I don't think its a coincidence that we appeared to have a higher than average percentage of forumites.

I was once on a task force where I looked around and realized myself, Stupid_Fanboy, and Golden Girl were all on the same team.  I remember thinking to myself that everyone else on that team should have gotten a badge for that.  What's more, it was an exceptionally unchatty team.  They should have gotten a master of badge for that.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5870 on: August 18, 2015, 01:45:18 AM »
The really crazy part is I didn't even realize that Arcana's home server was Triumph until the Really Hard Way attempts, despite having started there and it being home to my primary SG and badge character for years.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5871 on: August 18, 2015, 01:57:50 AM »
I was once on a task force where I looked around and realized myself, Stupid_Fanboy, and Golden Girl were all on the same team.  I remember thinking to myself that everyone else on that team should have gotten a badge for that.  What's more, it was an exceptionally unchatty team.

Not counting emoticons I assume.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5872 on: August 18, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
Not counting emoticons I assume.

;)

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #5873 on: August 18, 2015, 02:02:44 PM »
When I started, I picked Triumph (Yep, another Triumphateer?  Triumphverate?  Triumphian?), I picked it, not because it was the top of the list...

I picked it because I could remember it:  Triumph, for the Insult Dog Comic.
Beware the mighty faceplant!

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5874 on: August 18, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »
I picked Virtue, because that's what I thought I had the least of...

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5875 on: August 18, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »
If you had less virtue than you had infinity that's damned impressive.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5876 on: August 18, 2015, 02:40:07 PM »
Probably to my knowledge the most memorable personality on Triumph was Karl Rove Man. Also with HUB, you really didn't need a SG

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5877 on: August 18, 2015, 02:41:49 PM »
When I started, I picked Triumph (Yep, another Triumphateer?  Triumphverate?  Triumphian?), I picked it, not because it was the top of the list...

I picked it because I could remember it:  Triumph, for the Insult Dog Comic.

That's a great story...

Dareon Kale

• Minion
« Reply #5878 on: August 18, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #5879 on: August 18, 2015, 04:51:20 PM »
That's a great story...

And this made me laugh.