Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750548 times)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5840 on: August 14, 2015, 04:15:08 AM »
I started to wonder from time to time if I was the only person out here who played CoH!

(Doesn't help I played on a predominantly east coast server, I'm sure)
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5841 on: August 14, 2015, 05:26:11 AM »
Never blame QA; they have next no power over decisions and can potentially be fired for voicing anything that resembles an opinion.  They aren't even allowed to use the word "should" in a bug because it implies that they know how the game is supposed to work, because as far as the Devs are concerned QA is nothing but a group of monkeys with minimal training to pick bugs and they are treated as such.  They can't really fight back if a dev decides that a bug isn't worth fixing.   

I think what you mean to say is that testers are rarely to blame for buggy software because testers usually find the problems and have no real institutional power to encourage resolving them.  Which is true.  However, whether we should blame quality assurance itself for buggy software, in games or anywhere else, is a more subtly tricky question.  QA in most software companies has a manager, who reports to someone else in production, who reports to someone else.  The notion that all of *these* people are institutionally powerless to prevent buggy software can be true but is also specious.  They have a specific job to do.  Testers are hired to test: anything else including promoting fixes would be nice, but also beyond their job description.  But the guy in actual charge of quality assurance, he has a job of ensuring quality.  He can no more claim he has no institutional power to actually do his job correctly than the CFO can claim the company institutionally forced them to cook the books.  As a professional, you can demand to have the institutional latitude to do your job correctly, or you can quit.  But what you can't do legitimately is do a half-assed job and shirk all responsibility for the result because of extenuating factors.

I understand that people need jobs, and few people are actually in a position to walk away from one where they are not allowed to do it properly.  But even so, you cannot claim the system is responsible and not yourself, when you voluntarily choose to act as part of that system.  Testers don't explicitly have the responsibility to see that bugs are fixed: they have a responsibility to find bugs.  But QA as a whole *does* have that responsibility, and its generally vested in people who do have the power to fight for fixes, and have a professional obligation to win those fights.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5842 on: August 14, 2015, 05:31:06 AM »
I started to wonder from time to time if I was the only person out here who played CoH!

(Doesn't help I played on a predominantly east coast server, I'm sure)

When I first started playing City (or rather, shortly afterwards, when I got my own account: I started playing on my brother's account) I picked Triumph as my home server, because it was at the top of the server list.  It wasn't until much, much later that I discovered it was a de facto "East Coast" server.  This had both good and bad aspects as a player in Hawaii.  However, there was a period of about a month when I wondered why so many pugs I landed in were populated by Australians.  For a while, I got the impression City of Heroes had an unusually large Aussie fan base.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5843 on: August 14, 2015, 05:44:00 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only person who wound up on triumph for the arbitrary top o' the list reason. From talking to folks there though i always got the impression i was in the minority as an east coaster.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5844 on: August 14, 2015, 05:48:03 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only person who wound up on triumph for the arbitrary top o' the list reason. From talking to folks there though i always got the impression i was in the minority as an east coaster.

What I know is that from about 8pm Hawaii time, the server was pretty dead until about 2 or 3am, when it was about 8ish in the morning on the East Coast (depending on daylight savings).  If you wanted to team, that was bad.  If you wanted to collect badges in RV or collect Shivans, pretty good times to operate.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5845 on: August 14, 2015, 03:16:52 PM »

I started there, then found out my friends played on Freedom, so my initial character was level 8 at shutdown (it was terrible due to no real numbers and bad choices).

Ended up with lots of characters on all servers but mainly on Victory with a certain irish_girl

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #5846 on: August 15, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
What I know is that from about 8pm Hawaii time, the server was pretty dead until about 2 or 3am, when it was about 8ish in the morning on the East Coast (depending on daylight savings).  If you wanted to team, that was bad.  If you wanted to collect badges in RV or collect Shivans, pretty good times to operate.

You alluded to this that Triumph picked up at 8am eastern, which is 10 or 11PM in Australia. When I worked third shift, I would get home be 8am and find teams from Oz.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #5847 on: August 16, 2015, 01:07:47 AM »
Wait... Servers had locations?!

I just picked Infinity because it was at the top
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5848 on: August 16, 2015, 05:06:50 AM »
Wait... Servers had locations?!

I just picked Infinity because it was at the top

That was my reasoning for Triumph.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #5849 on: August 16, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »
I was on Virtue almost exclusively.
What was no more, is now reborn!

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5850 on: August 16, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
I thought I started on Freedom because there were only 4 north American servers... To this day I thought Guardian, Freedom and a couple others were started early and others came along.  Our super group had heroes on Victory and villains on Liberty but when the whole alignment changing came along it broke it so we consolidated to Victory's larger population.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #5851 on: August 16, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »
I was on Virtue almost exclusively.

I picked Triumph because I had a Triumph motorcycle in the early 70's.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5852 on: August 16, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »
Alas, there was no Schwinn server.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #5853 on: August 16, 2015, 11:20:25 PM »
I played on all servers, but my main was Virtue
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5854 on: August 16, 2015, 11:55:06 PM »
I started on Protector because a couple of our friends played there.  They drifted out of the game, though, and I switched over to Virtue for the RP.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5855 on: August 17, 2015, 12:14:31 AM »
Did that, then killed it in Task Manager.  As soon as you reboot, it comes right back.  It's not visible in MSCONFIG Startup, and I couldn't find it in Component Services, either.  The easiest solution I found when searching Google was to rename the two GWX subdirectories in C:\Windows to "GWX_old".  Seems to have worked so far.

The 'Get Windows 10' nagger was installed by KB3035583; if you go into the 'Programs and Updates' widget from your Control Panel, you can remove that individual update from your Windows installation, and it should remove the nagger.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5856 on: August 17, 2015, 12:19:25 AM »
That depends on if MS gives us any control in Windows 10 of when patches are applied and reboots occur.  From the posts above, I'm a little nervous about that.  As far as I'm concerned, the weekends are a great time for updates to happen - during the week, don't bother me.

In Windows 10 Home, there is no way to disable the automatic download and install of updates through the regular user interface; that's limited to Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise. However, you can find any number of websites that will walk you through making the registry changes necessary to disable either or both of those options, and give you control of your updates back. However, that's beyond what the average Windows Home user is going to be interested in doing; they just want the computer to work. And it will... barring the occasional system-bricking broken update that has led me to wait on processing updates until after I see if there are negative consequences to them.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5857 on: August 17, 2015, 01:49:38 AM »
In Windows 10 Home, there is no way to disable the automatic download and install of updates through the regular user interface; that's limited to Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise. However, you can find any number of websites that will walk you through making the registry changes necessary to disable either or both of those options, and give you control of your updates back. However, that's beyond what the average Windows Home user is going to be interested in doing; they just want the computer to work. And it will... barring the occasional system-bricking broken update that has led me to wait on processing updates until after I see if there are negative consequences to them.
This is... slightly wrong.

Windows 10 Home allows you to:
A) Delay download if you are on a metered connection (e.g. not unlimited data) - if you're not on a metered connection, you can't tell it to not download - but that's not really a big deal these days
B) Delay install if you turn that option on.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5858 on: August 17, 2015, 08:54:09 AM »
This is... slightly wrong.

Windows 10 Home allows you to:
A) Delay download if you are on a metered connection (e.g. not unlimited data) - if you're not on a metered connection, you can't tell it to not download - but that's not really a big deal these days
B) Delay install if you turn that option on.

As far as I'm aware, Pro and Education editions allow you to defer updates.  Windows 10 Home does not have that feature.  The Windows 10 troubleshooting tool can allow you to "hide" updates in Windows 10 Home edition, but that tool does not work on all updates: some updates are flagged to be mandatory even if hidden and will download and install automatically.

Although I haven't played with this much myself, I've been told the metered connection option only exists on Wifi connections.  The option isn't available for ethernet connections.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5859 on: August 17, 2015, 12:33:43 PM »
As far as I'm aware, Pro and Education editions allow you to defer updates.  Windows 10 Home does not have that feature.  The Windows 10 troubleshooting tool can allow you to "hide" updates in Windows 10 Home edition, but that tool does not work on all updates: some updates are flagged to be mandatory even if hidden and will download and install automatically.

Although I haven't played with this much myself, I've been told the metered connection option only exists on Wifi connections.  The option isn't available for ethernet connections.
As I am on Windows 10 Home, I speak with experience. You can delay the installation with the option Settings > Update & security > Advanced options > Notify to schedule restart. You'll be notified to schedule a restart, which is when it'll install the updates it automatically downloaded.

Yes, you can only get a metered connection over wifi. But a larger and larger group of people are not connecting to anything via ethernet, which makes it a viable suggestion these days.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal