Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748077 times)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5720 on: June 07, 2015, 10:54:53 AM »
Of course then comes the question: do we really NEED to move to Windows 10? Seven and 8 as I recall do not sunset for 5 years still and even then they can still be used. My XP box still has its uses.

Obviously the choice is yours, BUT, if you don't do it in the first year of W10's release, you'll have to buy it instead of getting it for free.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5721 on: June 07, 2015, 05:35:20 PM »
Obviously the choice is yours, BUT, if you don't do it in the first year of W10's release, you'll have to buy it instead of getting it for free.

Granted Free is a nice thing, but as many of us know, obtaining a new OS when it first releases is NOT always a good thing.

Windows Millenium Edition had some problems, though I discovered that turning off Go Back/Sys Restore helped stablize it.

Windows Vista.....no comment.

I'll wait awhile and see how Win 10 goes on my older laptop and in general.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #5722 on: June 07, 2015, 05:55:48 PM »
If its any consolation, Windows releases go pretty much like Star Trek movies.  Every other one is really good!  Win98, WinXP, Win7, so we are due for another winner according to that predictor.
What was no more, is now reborn!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5723 on: June 07, 2015, 05:57:56 PM »
Windows Vista.....no comment.

*sigh* It gets a bit old seeing things like this, especially when it's essentially nonsense.

The only people who had issues with Vista, are those who had hardware who's manufacturers didn't get their drivers done.  This was not Microsoft's fault, it was the hardware vendors. They had plenty of time to get up to speed, and didn't.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #5724 on: June 07, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »
*sigh* It gets a bit old seeing things like this, especially when it's essentially nonsense.

The only people who had issues with Vista, are those who had hardware who's manufacturers didn't get their drivers done.  This was not Microsoft's fault, it was the hardware vendors. They had plenty of time to get up to speed, and didn't.

That was me in part. I had a Cannon BJC 11" x 17" printer that suddenly would not work. Not under Vista or XP, but surprisingly drivers for it came back with Win 7. I guess good things come to those who wait or they would have if I had kept the printer maintained. During the long period of storage the ink dried in the head and I was never able to get it cleaned up well enough to work right again.

*Sigh*  So bored right now that I am actually re-installing STO. . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #5725 on: June 08, 2015, 07:04:34 AM »
Each day I miss CoH more than the last day, but I keep thinking "Well we're another day closer to CoH returning!" I have to think this and keep the hope alive that someday I'll be able to fly around our City & Isles once more. (But please let that day come sooner rather than later...)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5726 on: June 08, 2015, 07:16:13 AM »
It'd brighten my mood significantly if city of heroes was returned, for sure.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #5727 on: June 08, 2015, 02:44:55 PM »

That is only partly true.  Yes, the drivers were a major part of the issues with Vista, but up until SP1, Vista had a bunch of problems that were specific to the OS.  It did not handle multitasking or memory management well, and the TCPIP stack was terrible.  Also, there were a good number of driver issues, that had nothing to do with the vendors not releasing drivers.  Microsoft left out entire classes of devices.

Vista, on release, worked fine if you had hardware that was on the list of certified devices, had at least double the minimum requirements as far as RAM and HD space, and did not do anything that required significant memory, or multi-processor support.  That actually meant that a large portion of customers should not have had too many issues, or that the issues they did have, could have been easily resolved.  That does not mean that there were not actual problems with the OS.  I worked with Microsoft for months prior to release, and continued working with them after release, to help quantify and fix some of those issues.

SP1 pretty much made it a working OS for the vast majority of users, but by that time, it had gotten such a bad reputation, that people just piled on.  I still don't believe Vista, even with subsequent service packs/patches is worth using.  Windows 7 is light years better in almost every category, but it is still viable, even for gaming.

Windows 10 has been a fantastic experience so far.  I already use it as my primary machine, and expect to upgrade all of my machines pretty much on Day 1.  Something I don't generally do with Microsoft.  Basically, if your program worked with Windows 8, it works with Windows 10.  If it works on Windows 7, there is probably a 95% or higher chance that it will work on Windows 10 with no modification.  I have been surprised how well it works, even on very old systems with obscure hardware. 

Let me put it this way, it works well enough, that I have been pushing all of my relatives to go ahead and update to Windows 10 very soon after it is released.  I don't do that often, because I end up being tech support for my whole family.  Once I have them trained to use their machines, I dislike forcing them to change.  Windows 10 is worth the upgrade.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5728 on: June 08, 2015, 03:20:20 PM »
Vista, on release, worked fine if you had hardware that was on the list of certified devices, had at least double the minimum requirements as far as RAM and HD space, and did not do anything that required significant memory, or multi-processor support.  That actually meant that a large portion of customers should not have had too many issues, or that the issues they did have, could have been easily resolved.  That does not mean that there were not actual problems with the OS.  I worked with Microsoft for months prior to release, and continued working with them after release, to help quantify and fix some of those issues.

You're generalising.  Was it problem free? No, but there were far less issues caused by MS than people make out.  When Vista came out I was running an old Pentium 3 at 2ghz, 4gig RAM and a Radeon 8500.  It multi-tasked just fine, didn't have any problems with my home network, didn't suck up all my 500gb drive, and all my USB peripherals worked just fine.

A good 90% of all the "problems" people experienced were down to media vitriol and 3rd party driver issues.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5729 on: June 08, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »
For my part, dealing with Windows 10 so far was looking up how to disable GWX.exe this weekend, which has gotten annoying as hell on every Windows 7 PC/laptop I own or work on.  Microsoft has gotten a bit too pushy with that.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5730 on: June 08, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »
For my part, dealing with Windows 10 so far was looking up how to disable GWX.exe this weekend, which has gotten annoying as hell on every Windows 7 PC/laptop I own or work on.  Microsoft has gotten a bit too pushy with that.

It's just an icon in the system tray... How can that be annoying? :P Just hide it!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5731 on: June 08, 2015, 05:18:20 PM »
Of course then comes the question: do we really NEED to move to Windows 10? Seven and 8 as I recall do not sunset for 5 years still and even then they can still be used. My XP box still has its uses.

Well, in my opinion if you're running Windows 8 I see little reason not to upgrade, as 10 is a better 8.  If you're running 7, you'll have a learning curve but it will be better than with 8.0 and Windows 7 is actually about at the end of mainstream support (it goes into extended support for about five years).  Since you generally do not want to upgrade with a gun to your head, and Windows 10 does have significant improvements over 7, I'm generally recommending to people to take the free upgrade to 10 in the vast majority of cases.  The automatic update thing gives me pause, but not enough to throw away a free upgrade quite yet.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5732 on: June 08, 2015, 05:53:50 PM »
It's just an icon in the system tray... How can that be annoying? :P Just hide it!
Did that, then killed it in Task Manager.  As soon as you reboot, it comes right back.  It's not visible in MSCONFIG Startup, and I couldn't find it in Component Services, either.  The easiest solution I found when searching Google was to rename the two GWX subdirectories in C:\Windows to "GWX_old".  Seems to have worked so far.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5733 on: June 08, 2015, 06:36:41 PM »
Did that, then killed it in Task Manager.  As soon as you reboot, it comes right back.  It's not visible in MSCONFIG Startup, and I couldn't find it in Component Services, either.  The easiest solution I found when searching Google was to rename the two GWX subdirectories in C:\Windows to "GWX_old".  Seems to have worked so far.

You'll be kicking yourself when your pre-download doesn't pre-download.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5734 on: June 08, 2015, 07:04:41 PM »
Well, in my opinion if you're running Windows 8 I see little reason not to upgrade, as 10 is a better 8.  If you're running 7, you'll have a learning curve but it will be better than with 8.0 and Windows 7 is actually about at the end of mainstream support (it goes into extended support for about five years).  Since you generally do not want to upgrade with a gun to your head, and Windows 10 does have significant improvements over 7, I'm generally recommending to people to take the free upgrade to 10 in the vast majority of cases.  The automatic update thing gives me pause, but not enough to throw away a free upgrade quite yet.

Maybe this more unique to my situation but I never upgrade right away or even for the first year or so.  The software I use for school and work almost never has the drivers to a new OS that quickly.  Hell when I switched my Laptop to Windows 8 I couldn't use 2 of my 3 Audio Interfaces, Ableton 9 had trouble registering, Reason couldn't update to a new a driver which means it couldn't launch period. And 3 of my software synths from Native Instruments didn't work for the first month.  This isn't Windows fault in anyway but it is still a very large issue I run into when switching to a new OS.  In fact most of my professors or other well known sound engineer's will recommend you stay on the system you have as long as possible because "Why mess with success"

I hear good things about Windows 10 and in a couple of years I am excited to switch over.  Sadly I won't be getting that free upgrade though:(

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5735 on: June 08, 2015, 07:44:44 PM »
You'll be kicking yourself when your pre-download doesn't pre-download.
I don't want it to.  Like I said above, I'm waiting until at least Jan, 2016 before I touch Windows 10.  If that means I have to pay for it, fine, then I'll pay for it - later.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5736 on: June 08, 2015, 08:03:16 PM »

Oh, Im not quite walking away from the free upgrade yet.  After all it is an offer for a year :)

Sadly I already have had 5 relatives contact me and 4 friends also that have registered and want me available for the download install.

Already gave them my fee and a list of things to do BEFORE the installation, which of course they won't do and will yell at me about anyway, hence the fee that they WILL pay before I even work on their systems.  (too many relatives have leeched support out of me)

1. Back up all documents, files, vids, music, website favorites, etc to an EXTERNAL USB device (clouds are nice, but so is USB)

2. Be sure all malware and antivirus programs are updated and a THOROUGH scan is performed and anything found is cleansed and removed.

3. After the scan, before installation remove antivirus/antimalware programs, they get reinstalled/updated after Win 10 is done.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5737 on: June 08, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
So on a side note, how does everyone feel about Darrell Hammond as the new Col Sanders in the new KFC commercials?

I am of two minds, I like Darrell a lot from his SNL days, but the new Col Sanders feels kinda disrespectful and out of character. . .

I grew up in Louisville, KY, and very much remember Col. Harlan Sanders, founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken and creator of the seasonings and original gravy (not, unfortunately, the gravy you get today from KFC).  After KFC was franchised and sold to a parent company, Col. Sanders (A Kentucky Colonel, not a military one) served for a number of years as a traveling spokesperson for his "Kentucky Fried Chicken", and was quite outspoken when the parent company changed recipes to save money, producing a less tasty product.

After making his money off the KFC franchise, sale, and spokesperson work, Col. Sanders was also quite the local philanthropist, giving money to a number of local charities.

So, I have to agree that seeing an actor portraying the Colonel as a cartoonish buffoon is pretty distasteful, honestly, to anyone who remembers the actual Colonel.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5738 on: June 08, 2015, 09:30:11 PM »
I grew up in Louisville, KY, and very much remember Col. Harlan Sanders, founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken and creator of the seasonings and original gravy (not, unfortunately, the gravy you get today from KFC).  After KFC was franchised and sold to a parent company, Col. Sanders (A Kentucky Colonel, not a military one) served for a number of years as a traveling spokesperson for his "Kentucky Fried Chicken", and was quite outspoken when the parent company changed recipes to save money, producing a less tasty product.

After making his money off the KFC franchise, sale, and spokesperson work, Col. Sanders was also quite the local philanthropist, giving money to a number of local charities.

So, I have to agree that seeing an actor portraying the Colonel as a cartoonish buffoon is pretty distasteful, honestly, to anyone who remembers the actual Colonel.

Well on the bright side, they did not dredge up the old Col. Sanders commercials where they actually turned him into a cartoonish buffoon. This is the only one I could find from the series of ads and this one is probably the most "tame" ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR5j7NOAlZE

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #5739 on: June 08, 2015, 10:18:58 PM »
You're generalising.  Was it problem free? No, but there were far less issues caused by MS than people make out.  When Vista came out I was running an old Pentium 3 at 2ghz, 4gig RAM and a Radeon 8500.  It multi-tasked just fine, didn't have any problems with my home network, didn't suck up all my 500gb drive, and all my USB peripherals worked just fine.

A good 90% of all the "problems" people experienced were down to media vitriol and 3rd party driver issues.

Actually, I am not generalizing.  I am basing it on months of testing in a legitimate lab environment for a major software vendor.  That being said, I also was not implying that it was filled with problems.  I agree 100% that the vast majority of the problems were people jumping on a bandwagon they didn't understand.  The problems that existed were REAL problems, but they only affected a small percentage of the population.  if you were part of that smaller group though, you were screwed, and ended up having to do some pretty convoluted tweaks to make the OS run at acceptable speed, and with acceptable stability.  Almost everyone else that had major issues with the initial release, it was as was said earlier, a problem caused by manufacturers not getting off their asses and releasing drivers.

Vista doesn't get a free pass, just because of third party vendors.  Microsoft was also not very forthcoming to those vendors in the beta leading up to release.  The company I work for had a print related driver that we had created, and Microsoft kept pushing us back and pushing us back.  We couldn't get our driver certified, or even get any information about how to make the driver compatible.  Intuit had similar issues.