Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748711 times)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5700 on: June 06, 2015, 12:21:36 AM »
So tell it to update at a different time than your SQL query. Problem solved without haranguing a support tech. People like your claim here get put up on notalwaysright.com.
That depends on if MS gives us any control in Windows 10 of when patches are applied and reboots occur.  From the posts above, I'm a little nervous about that.  As far as I'm concerned, the weekends are a great time for updates to happen - during the week, don't bother me.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5701 on: June 06, 2015, 12:37:06 AM »
I've had automatic updates turned off for basically ever. 8.1 whines about it by having a perma alert in solve PC issues, but I can't imagine they'd completely remove the option. Would be waaaaay too much rage if they did.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #5702 on: June 06, 2015, 05:17:20 AM »
Excellent - the last screenshots I saw of Windows 10 were displaying that damn Metro-style Start Menu and I said "Well, I see the first thing that needs fixing."

The start menu is one of the things I like the most about Win 10. Not only do you have the classic menu, but you can also pin the app tiles you choose to the start menu, the best of both worlds!

My only real complaint is the taskbar. I prefer a two row taskbar, I have always preferred the taskbar even over the menu for quick launching stuff, I pin everything to the taskbar. For some reason Win 10 forces it down to a single row with every restart, I have to go back and reset it each time. Annoying, but certainly not a deal breaker by any means. Enough of us have complained that I expect the full release to accommodate those of us who complained by allowing a persistent multi-row taskbar. 
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5703 on: June 06, 2015, 05:37:01 AM »
Every time I upgrade to a new version of Windows, I virtualize my old system and keep that around on the new one.  That way if something horribly breaks in the new version of Windows, I can usually still run my old system, even if I have to level the PC and reload Windows itself.

Its a bit of a sledgehammer, but its impractical for me to be without a functioning computer for too long (I do also have a laptop, but that's not quite the same).  Actually, I'm going to be moving from sledgehammer to bunker-buster for Windows 10: I'm going to take my Win7 PC and virtualize it, then upload it to my corporate private cloud, add the Horizon direct connect plugin to it, and have a copy of my original system available whenever I want to reference it.

On the one hand, that's crazy with a capital "CRAZY."  On the other hand, I built the damn infrastructure, so screw it I'm gonna use it.

I do the opposite.  I run a virtualised environment of the beta for the new version (I'm posting from it right now, in fact), which lets me verify everything still works. If there are any issues, then at launch, I'll dual boot for a bit.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5704 on: June 06, 2015, 05:39:24 AM »
That depends on if MS gives us any control in Windows 10 of when patches are applied and reboots occur.  From the posts above, I'm a little nervous about that.  As far as I'm concerned, the weekends are a great time for updates to happen - during the week, don't bother me.

Windows 10 Home users will not be able to turn off automatic updates, though there's no information yet on the reboot part.  Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users will have the same control over updates as we do now.  Nothing will change on that regard.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5705 on: June 06, 2015, 05:41:50 AM »
Already done, you can choose to use the classic Win start menu or the Win 8 tiles right from the start.

Incorrect. The Start menu in Windows 10, although back to just a small menu, is still "metro" styled.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5706 on: June 06, 2015, 05:43:43 AM »
Excellent - the last screenshots I saw of Windows 10 were displaying that damn Metro-style Start Menu and I said "Well, I see the first thing that needs fixing."

It IS fixed. It works far far better than the old start menu did (and I use Classic Start in Windows 8 to get my Start menu back, so I know where you're coming from).  It's a good blend of the old and the new.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5707 on: June 06, 2015, 06:34:45 AM »
Windows 10 Home users will not be able to turn off automatic updates, though there's no information yet on the reboot part.  Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users will have the same control over updates as we do now.  Nothing will change on that regard.
ugh, not sure if i trust microsoft enough to have automatic updates, as my current computer is the first i've ever had where i've yet to have an update cause an unexplained slowdown or break something, and that could be  because i've only had it a few months.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5708 on: June 06, 2015, 06:42:24 AM »
ugh, not sure if i trust microsoft enough to have automatic updates, as my current computer is the first i've ever had where i've yet to have an update cause an unexplained slowdown or break something, and that could be  because i've only had it a few months.

So far, not enough information is available as to what form these forced updates will take. However, it IS known that the current fast/slow ring of releases will continue. Those on the fast ring in Windows 10 will get updates before those on the slow ring, and slow ring will be the default at least on Home, so there should have been sufficient testing done to updates to reduce the chance of problems.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #5709 on: June 06, 2015, 07:08:55 AM »
So on a side note, how does everyone feel about Darrell Hammond as the new Col Sanders in the new KFC commercials?

I am of two minds, I like Darrell a lot from his SNL days, but the new Col Sanders feels kinda disrespectful and out of character. . .

We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5710 on: June 06, 2015, 07:12:52 AM »
So on a side note, how does everyone feel about Darrell Hammond as the new Col Sanders in the new KFC commercials?

I am of two minds, I like Darrell a lot from his SNL days, but the new Col Sanders feels kinda disrespectful and out of character. . .

Never heard of him...

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5711 on: June 06, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »
So tell it to update at a different time than your SQL query. Problem solved without haranguing a support tech. People like your claim here get put up on notalwaysright.com.

I don't think that would qualify.  I certainly have no intention of allowing Windows 10 to reboot whenever it wants to, because I don't always know in advance what the best time to reboot is.  If MS doesn't allow optional reboot, they'll get deservedly slammed.  Probably hard enough to add the option fairly quickly.

On the other hand, yelling at an MS tech support flunky gets absolutely nowhere.  I've done it myself.  Jeez most of the time they are looking up the problem you're reporting in google, like you didn't do that yourself before calling them.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #5712 on: June 06, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
On the other hand, yelling at an MS tech support flunky gets absolutely nowhere.  I've done it myself.  Jeez most of the time they are looking up the problem you're reporting in google, like you didn't do that yourself before calling them.
What, they're not required to Bing their answers?
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5713 on: June 06, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »
Maybe they get around it by Binging Google  ;D

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #5714 on: June 06, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »

All the media marketing is trying to portray the customer as an indiot. On one hand there used to be Tony the tiger, and now we have the Frontier buffalo reducing our IQ with every iteration of the mindnumbingly stupid advertisements.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5715 on: June 07, 2015, 12:00:20 AM »
Media in general when it comes to entertainment seems to think the audience are dumb%^&es, from games to movies.  Heck, saw a new TV show advertised about some gal covered in nothing but tattoos.  Sigh, I bet it's another mary sue character, it's all we ever pancaking get these days.

"I am the chosen one".  Ok, we get it.  "Oh i'm a chosen one to!"  Ok.....cliche.....  "Hey, here is another chosen one!"  FOR PETES SAKE STOP IT WITH THE SAME CHOSEN ONE CRAP OVER AND OVER AGAIN NOT ALL OF US ARE BLOODY TWILIGHT FANS.

It's all we ever see, they even have to have some special power or something to make things easier for them since they suck at writing.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5716 on: June 07, 2015, 12:11:33 AM »
Media in general when it comes to entertainment seems to think the audience are dumb%^&es, from games to movies.  Heck, saw a new TV show advertised about some gal covered in nothing but tattoos.  Sigh, I bet it's another mary sue character, it's all we ever pancaking get these days.

"I am the chosen one".  Ok, we get it.  "Oh i'm a chosen one to!"  Ok.....cliche.....  "Hey, here is another chosen one!"  FOR PETES SAKE STOP IT WITH THE SAME CHOSEN ONE CRAP OVER AND OVER AGAIN NOT ALL OF US ARE BLOODY TWILIGHT FANS.

It's all we ever see, they even have to have some special power or something to make things easier for them since they suck at writing.

I've read some really good fiction about very powerful characters. Pretty much all of Zelazny other than his short stories, as an example. It's not a question of powerful characters or not, it's a question of whether the writer uses the character's powers as if they were what the character is, rather than a person WITH those powers... "So, what's the main character like?" / "Well, he's got this power, and that power, and he can do this" / "Yeah, but that doesn't tell me much about what he's like, it just tells me what he can do".

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #5717 on: June 07, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »

Yeah, that one movie about the guy with laser swords who was "destined" defeat the evil kingdom and had the "special power" to move stuff with his mind is soooo derivative.

See also: tons of stories since the dawn of time: http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-greatest-stories-in-which-one-character-is-the-Chosen-One http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheChosenOne http://screenrant.com/top-favorite-chosen-movie-heroes/

I haven't seen the ads, but I heard that KFC was "bringing Col. Sanders back." But I do have to ask: how would one play a Sanders that was "respectful?" Because to me, his "legacy" is creating a business that is unhealthy and could very well be contributing to significant health issues in the US.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Netzahualcoyotl

• Minion
  • <Infinity alum - global Netzahualcoyotl>
« Reply #5718 on: June 07, 2015, 08:04:14 AM »
Curious since Windows 10 is debuting at the end of July (and the "Free Upgrade" icon is on my Task Bar) whether I should bother to get it or wait and see if CoX will still work/be compatible with it.... ?  :gonk:

Thanks for all the feed-back on Win 10 - made my reservation and hopefully none of my older games will be affected....
... Atlanteans fled to far corners of the planet to preserve themselves and as much of their science and technology as time would allow...  Atlantean DNA remains among the inhabitants of Earth... and when the strains randomly cross-multiply... a re-combined Atlantean can occasionally result - stronger, faster, more evolved with abilities far beyond those of normal humanity... A being like... Atzlanticus!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5719 on: June 07, 2015, 08:54:31 AM »
Thanks for all the feed-back on Win 10 - made my reservation and hopefully none of my older games will be affected....

Looks like the free upgrade expires in 2016, so I am going tp let an upgrade download on a win 7 laptop of mine, then tinker with it and read up on how games and programs are affected.

Likely I will end up doing what I always do, build a new box, buy the OS and install and set it to how I want. Previous box becomes a secondary part of my network.

Of course then comes the question: do we really NEED to move to Windows 10? Seven and 8 as I recall do not sunset for 5 years still and even then they can still be used. My XP box still has its uses.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!