Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749183 times)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5660 on: June 02, 2015, 06:48:28 PM »
Well, I hope he at least noted that the "wake me when there's real news" thread is up to almost 10,000 hits now.   :D
I'll admit, I'm responsible for 3 of those hits... :-\
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5661 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:11 PM »
I'll admit, I'm responsible for 3 of those hits... :-\

It would help a lot of forum software had the brains to not count multiple visits to the same unchanged thread by the same account as multiple views.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5662 on: June 02, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »
It would help a lot of forum software had the brains to not count multiple visits to the same unchanged thread by the same account as multiple views.

The correct algorithm is probably to not count something as a unique visit if the thread is identical to the last time you visited, including the degenerate case where you've never visited before (and thus the thread cannot be identical to the last time you visited).  However, in both cases, that would require extra scoreboarding for counting, and forum software is nothing if not incredibly inefficient in virtually all cases.  If it was written to be fast in the first place, scoreboarding would be easy.  As it is, it would probably cripple most forum software.

For a software category that is among the most used pieces of software on the internet, its all surprisingly bad.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5663 on: June 03, 2015, 05:43:57 AM »
Simple enough to do though, just add it to the cookie that already exists on your PC, so it already knows whether you've read that thread or not.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5664 on: June 03, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
Simple enough to do though, just add it to the cookie that already exists on your PC, so it already knows whether you've read that thread or not.

I read from multiple PCs, and cookies have some rather small, and browser-specific, limits.  There are other ways to track this client-side, but those as have limits and browser-specific elements.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5665 on: June 03, 2015, 04:39:41 PM »
I read from multiple PCs, and cookies have some rather small, and browser-specific, limits.  There are other ways to track this client-side, but those as have limits and browser-specific elements.

Sure, you can't get it perfectly, but you can certainly get a hell of a lot closer than not actually trying! :p  (Not a personal "you" ;) )

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5666 on: June 03, 2015, 06:17:15 PM »
Sure, you can't get it perfectly, but you can certainly get a hell of a lot closer than not actually trying! :p  (Not a personal "you" ;) )

If the jumbo cookies overflow the client, I'm not sure I would classify that as "not perfectly."  Weird, unexpected things are bound to happen if you try to store the thread history into cookies, and not just to the titan forums.  Cookies are meant to store simple state data.  They are not meant to store databases.  The last time I did serious programming involving web cookies the practical limit on them was about 1k of data.  Not that that was the absolute browser limit, but that trying to handle significantly more data than that would start to cause strange problems with different symptoms on different browsers due to different browsers enforcing different cookie limits in different ways.  Some would have a cookie limit.  Some would have a cookie domain limit for all cookies in a domain.  Some would enforce both overlapping.  Some would officially support a certain limit, but start to malfunction below the limit unpredictably.  And that is totally separate from browsers that clear or suppress tracking cookies.

If Titan somehow wanted to have a special flag for a very few threads where they wanted the count to be accurate, setting that flag in the browser cookie would work.  But in the general case, I think it would go wonky fast.  And not just in terms of broken counters, but in terms of odd browser behavior.  You don't want to be the cause of that.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5667 on: June 03, 2015, 08:28:19 PM »
Y'know Arcana, I -am- a developer... I know what's involved! ;)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5668 on: June 03, 2015, 09:41:39 PM »
Y'know Arcana, I -am- a developer... I know what's involved! ;)

I'm not specifically trying to educate you, I'm just pointing out the massive levels of death and destruction your algorithms appear to revel in.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5669 on: June 03, 2015, 09:48:29 PM »
I'm not specifically trying to educate you, I'm just pointing out the massive levels of death and destruction your algorithms appear to revel in.

But what good algorithm's don't revel in death and destruction?
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5670 on: June 03, 2015, 10:38:34 PM »
Now I need CoV to comeback so I can Make Al Go Rhythm, a Sonic/Something Corruptor... :o
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #5671 on: June 03, 2015, 11:24:25 PM »
Now I need CoV to comeback so I can Make Al Go Rhythm, a Sonic/Something Corruptor... :o

Al Gore Rhythm. He controls plants and fire :P

Winter Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5672 on: June 03, 2015, 11:54:59 PM »
I only had one sonic character but having time to think about builds and combos I have 3 planned so far.I have so many combos I want to try I'm not even sure I'll make it to 50 with any the first few years :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:02:24 AM by Winter Story »

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5673 on: June 04, 2015, 05:45:14 AM »

But, how else am I going to take over the world?!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5674 on: June 04, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »
But, how else am I going to take over the world?!

Trying to take over the world by breaking everyone's browsers didn't work out for Microsoft, and their attempt was probably better funded.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5675 on: June 04, 2015, 12:05:47 PM »
Trying to take over the world by breaking everyone's browsers didn't work out for Microsoft, and their attempt was probably better funded.

;D

Azrael.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #5676 on: June 04, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »

Their attempt only failed because there was another company that took over the world because they tried a better tactic: appealing to everyone's vanity.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5677 on: June 04, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »

I guess I'm going to have to resort to the fembots then...

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #5678 on: June 04, 2015, 04:52:34 PM »
OOOOOOooohh, fembots. Deadly AND that other thing...
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5679 on: June 04, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
I guess I'm going to have to resort to the fembots then...

For some reason every time I hear fembots, this is the first thing that comes to mind.