Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750392 times)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5380 on: March 22, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »
What's so special about that day in particular? Your birthday or something?

It was the day the game launched officially.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5381 on: March 23, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
The game launched on the 28th.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #5382 on: March 23, 2015, 01:15:36 AM »
It's not a crazy thought.  If they were looking for a date with some impact beyond the return of the game, doing it on the anniversary of its original launch has some marketing appeal.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #5383 on: March 23, 2015, 01:35:29 AM »
I'm betting that an announcement of CoX's resurrection would be news significant enough to get a lot of free advertising on various game-related websites.  Plus a lot of us are going to tell every single person we know that's interested in gaming.

I already told everyone I work with. That their going to play City of Heroes and if they don't. I'm going to make their life a living hell. :P

I think the best advertisement is what my friend did to get me to play. He had me watch him play (He knew I was a farmer, so I saw high level content), once he saw I was interested. He handed me my own copy he bought. Said try it, you have nothing to lose.

That's what got me hooked, imagining all these different power combinations and how they'd work in a farming environment. Then as I got better, I'd ask myself, can a elec/storm defender farm? I'd level one up and try.

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #5384 on: March 23, 2015, 01:53:59 AM »
I already told everyone I work with. That their going to play City of Heroes and if they don't. I'm going to make their life a living hell. :P

I think the best advertisement is what my friend did to get me to play. He had me watch him play (He knew I was a farmer, so I saw high level content), once he saw I was interested. He handed me my own copy he bought. Said try it, you have nothing to lose.

That's what got me hooked, imagining all these different power combinations and how they'd work in a farming environment. Then as I got better, I'd ask myself, can a elec/storm defender farm? I'd level one up and try.

A friend of mine got me started.  He'd been playing since the early days, and I was over at his place just after I6 was released, so he had me roll up a character on his account and give it a whirl.  Got up to level 7 or so, and I was hooked.  Bought my own copy soon after and spent most of the next several years playing.  I took a couple of breaks in there, but nothing else held my attention with anything like the same potency.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #5385 on: March 23, 2015, 03:51:43 AM »
The game launched on the 28th.

Someone should tell wikipedia then because they say the 27th.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5386 on: March 23, 2015, 04:03:34 AM »
Someone should tell wikipedia then because they say the 27th.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes

They might be saying that because of 'midnight release' or early access stuff. But the official launch was the 28th.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #5387 on: March 23, 2015, 04:36:14 AM »
When the game finally comes back my jaw will drop in amazement and will keep dropping until it ends up in china and I'll go nuts from too much happiness. 
Please be sure I end up in Mother Mayhems hospital and care.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #5388 on: March 23, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »
They might be saying that because of 'midnight release' or early access stuff. But the official launch was the 28th.

Another good thing they would have going for them to make an annoucement on this date if it was good news, is that the A:AoU is released on the 23rd April so the news would hit within the first week of release, when most attention is about Superheroes and such!

Just my thoughts...

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5389 on: March 23, 2015, 04:11:08 PM »
Another good thing they would have going for them to make an annoucement on this date if it was good news, is that the A:AoU is released on the 23rd April so the news would hit within the first week of release, when most attention is about Superheroes and such!

Just my thoughts...

WTF, why is most of the world getting the movie a full week before the US???  Could be worse I guess, at least we don't have to wait until July 4th like Japan...

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #5390 on: March 24, 2015, 01:06:34 PM »

It depends on what time zone you were in.  The game was officially schedule to launch at midnight Central time between April 27 and April 28.  If you were in Central or Eastern time, this would have made the launch on April 28; Pacific and Mountain time would have been late at night on April 27.  Just before launch, however, they changed the time to 11:00pm Central, which made it April 27 in Pacific, Mountain, and Central; and the stroke of midnight between April 27 and April 28 in Eastern.

News item announcing launch

So given a choice, I'd call it "scheduled" on April 28, but it actually happened on April 27.

Likewise, I consider the "shutdown" date to be December 1, because it actually happened about 3:20am December 1 Eastern, which was 20 minutes after midnight on December 1 Pacific time.  Only places west of the mainland U.S. had it shut down on November 30, although that was the "official" shutdown date.

P. S.  Although really, I'd consider the game's launch date April 25, since that is when the head start began and the servers were publicly accessible for the first time to people who weren't specifically invited by the devs earlier.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5391 on: March 24, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »
I considered 4/25 the start, but why split hairs?  Aw, almost 11 years.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5392 on: March 24, 2015, 08:46:57 PM »
P. S.  Although really, I'd consider the game's launch date April 25, since that is when the head start began and the servers were publicly accessible for the first time to people who weren't specifically invited by the devs earlier.

When the game "launched" is a bit ambiguous, but I personally consider "general availability" to be the 27th, "head start" to be the 25th, and the "official launch" to be originally scheduled for the 28th and last minute changed to the 27th.  I consider the term "official launch" to be synonymous with "grand opening."  It is whenever the company says it is, not when people can first enter the store and start buying things.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5393 on: March 25, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »
I considered 4/25 the start, but why split hairs?  Aw, almost 11 years.
4/20 you say?

Brighellac

• Minion
« Reply #5394 on: March 26, 2015, 06:26:13 PM »
Ironwolf, any news? I understand about the NDA but just hoping.

Also, it's my sense (and I could be wrong) that we will not be getting our previous accounts back.  Does that include just the toons or the vet rewards as well? 

Ok, I'm done with my irritating wild questions and speculation.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5395 on: March 26, 2015, 06:38:08 PM »
Ironwolf, any news? I understand about the NDA but just hoping.

Also, it's my sense (and I could be wrong) that we will not be getting our previous accounts back.  Does that include just the toons or the vet rewards as well? 

Ok, I'm done with my irritating wild questions and speculation.

All news will go into the sticky thread here:  http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10649.0.html

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5396 on: March 26, 2015, 06:50:42 PM »

Correct.  And "account" means everything associated with that account.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5397 on: March 26, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
I am not the man now and I have left everything to the new team. They don't need me looking over their shoulder and it is their money and time not mine.

For the purposes of the actual running and business part of the game - to me it is strictly business and needs to be handled with little or no emotion. You don't get upset, angry or vindictive. You want the game back for at least 2 reasons:

1. It is a profitable business.
2. You want the IP and game available for greater expansion

Now the rest of it being fun and all that is a bonus. For a business it must meet the first 2 items.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #5398 on: March 27, 2015, 01:32:42 AM »

I had kind of mentally written off that possibility a while back.  If it were possible, it would take longer to get the game running again, and honestly I don't mind starting over too much if it makes it easier, and less complicated to get it up and running.
What was no more, is now reborn!

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #5399 on: March 27, 2015, 03:16:07 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if this goes on much longer, if it will even be relevant.  If any of CoT, Vanguard, etc are off the ground, will there even be enough of the player base left to make it worth it to even restart the game?

Note: I will definitely try a rebooted CoH, but if any of the newer games meet my needs, not sure I'd want to split my time.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---