Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749098 times)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5360 on: March 21, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
Don't forget - if the game can show a profit, then there may be room to hire a Dev.

I can guarantee that the day this thing comes back online, I will be contributing to their bottom line! 

Here in this forum, I think everyone else can be counted on likewise, but we were pretty much a given, and we won't be enough to ensure profitability.  I am not sure what kind of publicity they are planning, especially when they would need to spend those advertising dollars before they have made a dime off of the game, but they have to get the word out as far, and wide as possible to attract a large enough player base to give themselves a chance. 

The upside is that, this day and age with advent of Twitter, Facebook, etc., you can get a lot of free advertising if you work them right. Perhaps that is the stepping stone they need to utilize to get the initial player base established, so they can then afford to do some paid advertising to increase it further.

Just musing about stuff like this makes me want to play so badly!

What was no more, is now reborn!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5361 on: March 21, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »
Don't forget - if the game can show a profit, then there may be room to hire a Dev.

Just not Jack Emmert
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #5362 on: March 21, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »
I can guarantee that the day this thing comes back online, I will be contributing to their bottom line! 

Here in this forum, I think everyone else can be counted on likewise, but we were pretty much a given, and we won't be enough to ensure profitability.  I am not sure what kind of publicity they are planning, especially when they would need to spend those advertising dollars before they have made a dime off of the game, but they have to get the word out as far, and wide as possible to attract a large enough player base to give themselves a chance. 

The upside is that, this day and age with advent of Twitter, Facebook, etc., you can get a lot of free advertising if you work them right. Perhaps that is the stepping stone they need to utilize to get the initial player base established, so they can then afford to do some paid advertising to increase it further.

Just musing about stuff like this makes me want to play so badly!

I'm betting that an announcement of CoX's resurrection would be news significant enough to get a lot of free advertising on various game-related websites.  Plus a lot of us are going to tell every single person we know that's interested in gaming.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5363 on: March 21, 2015, 08:42:09 PM »
I'm betting that an announcement of CoX's resurrection would be news significant enough to get a lot of free advertising on various game-related websites.  Plus a lot of us are going to tell every single person we know that's interested in gaming.

I agree that the resurrection of City of Heroes should make a newsworthy event on the MMORPG news sites.  That should get people interested in playing the game that never played it before and it would help alert the veteran players that do not monitor this site for news. 
In fearful COH-less days

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5364 on: March 21, 2015, 10:49:31 PM »
I agree that the resurrection of City of Heroes should make a newsworthy event on the MMORPG news sites.  That should get people interested in playing the game that never played it before and it would help alert the veteran players that do not monitor this site for news.

Probably true. My concern about new players is that they will have to deal with something returning players already know.  That being, the state of the in-game graphics, which are admittedly....a bit behind the times.  Especially when compared to a lot of what is out there.  Let's face it, for some that is the end all be all of their gaming experience.  If it ain't pretty enough, it's a non-starter. 

Those of us that love the game, love it because of the things it does that still stand out as unique in all the MMORPG world.  We don't care that the graphics are not Unreal 4 level (yet).  The youngsters might take one look at those non articulated hands and run screaming! ;-)

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5365 on: March 21, 2015, 10:54:59 PM »
Probably true. My concern about new players is that they will have to deal with something returning players already know.  That being, the state of the in-game graphics, which are admittedly....a bit behind the times.  Especially when compared to a lot of what is out there.  Let's face it, for some that is the end all be all of their gaming experience.  If it ain't pretty enough, it's a non-starter. 

Those of us that love the game, love it because of the things it does that still stand out as unique in all the MMORPG world.  We don't care that the graphics are not Unreal 4 level (yet).  The youngsters might take one look at those non articulated hands and run screaming! ;-)

Realistically, this is probably what will happen.  It's not gonna see any meaningful draw of new players.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #5366 on: March 21, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
Tastes vary. It was about twenty years ago that i read the novel and i thought it mediocre at best. It was an uninspired pastiche of far better pulp scifi novels. This was based on having read quite a few scifi stories from the 1930s onward.

To be fair i should go back and reread it some day to make sure it's not because i've conflated it since then with some of the dozens of tepid novels Hubbard wrote postmortem and the vicious nuttery of the scam he started.

No need. I can confirm that Battlefield Earth is a mediocre movie based on a mediocre book.

Regarding Star Trek: One of the writers didn't want to use Khan in Into Darkness, but was convinced to do so. So that's interesting.

There was apparently an pitch for an animated show several centuries in the future, with a bit of a darker tone. I'll see if I can find the article(s) about it.

I wonder if there's a certain holding company for a certain game that might look to hire Matt to work on their revived game...
From my point of view that would not be a bad thing. . .

From mine it would. Based on his column and the direction of CoH, I think his views and mine on what makes an MMO fun are pretty different.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:07:48 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5367 on: March 22, 2015, 03:29:11 AM »

While the backgrounds and buildings may look a bit behind the times, the characters and powers still look fine.  While great graphics do help, the fun factor is what keeps a game going.

Showed my friends kids the original Wolfenstein 3D and they were appalled at the graphics, yet once they started playing it they started to enjoy it.   Then I installed Duke Nukem 3D onto their PC and they had a blast.
In fearful COH-less days

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5368 on: March 22, 2015, 04:31:46 AM »
While the backgrounds and buildings may look a bit behind the times, the characters and powers still look fine.  While great graphics do help, the fun factor is what keeps a game going.

Showed my friends kids the original Wolfenstein 3D and they were appalled at the graphics, yet once they started playing it they started to enjoy it.   Then I installed Duke Nukem 3D onto their PC and they had a blast.

When total biscuit says that the earlier shooters were especially fun, he wasn't joking.  The overall cleverness of them just never gets old compared to so many modern games.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5369 on: March 22, 2015, 05:02:22 AM »
When total biscuit says that the earlier shooters were especially fun, he wasn't joking.  The overall cleverness of them just never gets old compared to so many modern games.

Yeah, I'll take many of the classics over some of the junk that has been made in recent years.  What was funny is that his kids scoffed at the classic arcade games of yesteryear so I challenged them to a classic of my choice.

Secretly made sure the speakers and subwoofer were at maximum volume, then activated an emulator of SINISTAR.  Knocked their socks off when Sinistar started speaking......
In fearful COH-less days

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5370 on: March 22, 2015, 05:22:38 PM »
You will get no argument from me about the quality of older games.  I have an account at Good Old Games (GoG.com), and have over a dozen of the old LucasArts games.  Some of them can't do any better than 640x480 resolution, but they are made to work flawlessly on modern operating systems, and they still play great!  For anywhere between 5 and 10 dollars (US), they are cheap to own as well.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #5371 on: March 22, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »
Just not Jack Emmert

I wouldn't worry about that. Jack loves ideas and new shiny things. He would wish it well from a distance at best (much like many of the in-game avatar toting developers).
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #5372 on: March 22, 2015, 07:13:07 PM »
You will get no argument from me about the quality of older games.  I have an account at Good Old Games (GoG.com), and have over a dozen of the old LucasArts games.  Some of them can't do any better than 640x480 resolution, but they are made to work flawlessly on modern operating systems, and they still play great!  For anywhere between 5 and 10 dollars (US), they are cheap to own as well.

Most of them run in Scummvm or Dosbox. If you own them and like to tinker, you can get those for free and play that way.

Duke Nukem 3D is pretty freaking awesome. The last time I played it there was a mod that used your graphic card to help emulate the 3d better. It didn't make it true 3D but it did stop the textures from pixelating quite so much.

If you never played it, I would also recommend Blood. Very good game.

If you like adventure, one of the best I ever played was LOOM. It's short, but so good, that I still play it occasionally.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #5373 on: March 22, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »
The orginal blood was entertaining due to the horror references.  The sequels were bland by comparison.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #5374 on: March 22, 2015, 08:06:46 PM »
I wouldn't worry about that. Jack loves ideas and new shiny things. He would wish it well from a distance at best (much like many of the in-game avatar toting developers).
don't forget after launch he would blame the gamers for the failure of the game. (hinthint champions online.) Then would start deving on a new game no one asked for.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5375 on: March 22, 2015, 08:45:23 PM »
https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

bunch of free dos games running off a browser based dosbox iyi

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5376 on: March 22, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »

He's an alitist. Always moving on. :D

Honestly, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find that most of the COX devs lack anything like the passion we had for the game and would have little interest to coming back to it.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5377 on: March 22, 2015, 09:22:45 PM »

He's an alitist. Always moving on. :D

Honestly, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find that most of the COX devs lack anything like the passion we had for the game and would have little interest to coming back to it.

I think some might come back and play the game and we might now even know it. They spent hours and hours developing their game . I would say they even have more passion that we do. I bet the first day the game comes back or even Revival they will be there admiring the legacy they created.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #5378 on: March 22, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »
I'm hoping we hear something on the 27th April  ;) Whether it be yes we have the game purchased or talks are still on going, even if it is bad news I'd hope to hear something on this day.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5379 on: March 22, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
I'm hoping we hear something on the 27th April  ;) Whether it be yes we have the game purchased or talks are still on going, even if it is bad news I'd hope to hear something on this day.

What's so special about that day in particular? Your birthday or something?