Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747837 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5340 on: March 20, 2015, 03:53:58 AM »
While it isn't a television series, Star Trek Online is I believe technically considered canonical as far as CBS is concerned, and presumes the original timeline continued on after Spock created the new one inhabited by the Abrams movies.

Now comes the question: when the next Trek movie comes out, will they say that Spock Prime died on New Vulcan, or will they say that he used the Guardian of Forever to return to his proper timeline?
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5341 on: March 20, 2015, 03:56:06 AM »
I wonder if there's a certain holding company for a certain game that might look to hire Matt to work on their revived game...

yes but as I recall the initial effort to save the game before shutdown was derailed in part by a "personality conflict", they never said who the problem person or persons were, so until the ink is dry and the game up and running it may be best to keep former Paragon personnel out of the picture.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #5342 on: March 20, 2015, 04:09:45 AM »
Now comes the question: when the next Trek movie comes out, will they say that Spock Prime died on New Vulcan, or will they say that he used the Guardian of Forever to return to his proper timeline?

How about saying nothing? Just let him fade to history. . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #5343 on: March 20, 2015, 04:28:46 AM »
Outside of the lightning in a bottle original series...

....DS9 is the true jewel in the Star Trek crown.  (Much as I liked STNG...)

Odo and the Founders rocked.  And Next Gen had nothing to touch the Dominion war.  A diverse cast of characters that bled 'chemistry...' a series which must have written itself.

I remember critics previewing the series saying, 'How many stories can you get out of a space station before you run dry?'

The answer was a master class in Sci-fi writing and series development.  A fitting encapsulation, fleshing out and exploration of all things 'Star Trek.'  'Canon'?  This is as close as it will get.

(As for the dirty under belly of Star Fleet?  Meh.  Right up there with the CIA.)

Azrael.

We all serve the founders here!
The funny thing is most people don't watch ds9 long enough to know that the show does contain many many episodes that don't take place on the space station.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5344 on: March 20, 2015, 06:46:26 AM »
If something like that is all that remained to sufficiently prove their ability to do what they say they can do, then hiring Matt could not happen quickly enough!  Of course, they could already be past that point for all we know, but since we don't know much....oh you see where I am going with this!  ;)

If the rumours I heard at the time are true, and I don't know if they are or not, but if they are, they must absolutely NOT hire Matt until any deal is signed, sealed and delivered!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5345 on: March 20, 2015, 12:16:51 PM »
If the rumours I heard at the time are true, and I don't know if they are or not, but if they are, they must absolutely NOT hire Matt until any deal is signed, sealed and delivered!

Aye.  Be shrewd.  Get the deal done.

Azrael.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #5346 on: March 20, 2015, 03:12:50 PM »
Aye.  Be shrewd.  Get the deal done.

Azrael.

Whichever way gets it done the fastest!
What was no more, is now reborn!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5347 on: March 20, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »

I don't know which exact people NCSoft had issues with that worked with Paragon - but there were a few. I agree, let sleeping dogs lie and get it done with the current crew whoever they may be. Then after you own it hire whoever you want to.

Surelle

« Reply #5348 on: March 20, 2015, 05:18:29 PM »
I don't see anyone hiring on any devs formerly from Paragon Studios, unless they're willing to volunteer their help which I seriously doubt.  The i23 CoX zombie rez is a server image only, without the tools that would be needed to update or patch it, and I'd imagine a now-10+ year old game (that will never be updated besides) isn't exactly going to be raking in millions a year; its crew is likely going to have volunteer or near-volunteer pay status.

In fact, the idea for APR mainly came about because the original CoX can never be continued or added to, and may eventually lose all compatibility with modern OSs and hardware.  And as APR, much like City of Titans, is a completely volunteer crew and is likely to stay that way til darned near launch, I don't see anyone from Paragon Studios being able to be paid (much less anywhere near the money they got back at Paragon) to work on it.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5349 on: March 20, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »

I don't think its going to be difficult to figure out how to handle the death of an actor playing a character that would have been something like a hundred sixty years old.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5350 on: March 20, 2015, 05:34:31 PM »
I don't see anyone hiring on any devs formerly from Paragon Studios, unless they're willing to volunteer their help which I seriously doubt.  The i23 CoX zombie rez is a server image only, without the tools that would be needed to update or patch it, and I'd imagine a now-10+ year old game (that will never be updated besides) isn't exactly going to be raking in millions a year; its crew is likely going to have volunteer or near-volunteer pay status.

In fact, the idea for APR mainly came about because the original CoX can never be continued or added to, and may eventually lose all compatibility with modern OSs and hardware.  And as APR, much like City of Titans, is a completely volunteer crew and is likely to stay that way til darned near launch, I don't see anyone from Paragon Studios being able to be paid (much less anywhere near the money they got back at Paragon) to work on it.

Indeed. However, it cannot be denied that someone like Posi would be -very- useful in getting that image running again...

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5351 on: March 20, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »
Indeed. However, it cannot be denied that someone like Posi would be -very- useful in getting that image running again...

I like that take on it, but realistically...what are the odds?  As was mentioned, the guy would likely have to do it for the love of the game, and the elation of the players.  So, unless he has a lot of free time, and a lucrative day job, I don't have much hope.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5352 on: March 20, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
I somewhat disagree - if you had a central Dev controlling things and you were using volunteers to help with the work you could do some things.

You could approach a college and offer to have their students to program an actual game finishing say Issue 24 or writing the tools and things needed to expand the server image. It is all just code. What has been done before can be done again and in fact improved upon. I don't know the costs of running the reopened game - nor how they expect to pay for it all.  If they could afford a lead Dev to oversee volunteers - that might be a great opportunity.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5353 on: March 20, 2015, 08:36:04 PM »
I somewhat disagree - if you had a central Dev controlling things and you were using volunteers to help with the work you could do some things.

You could approach a college and offer to have their students to program an actual game finishing say Issue 24 or writing the tools and things needed to expand the server image. It is all just code. What has been done before can be done again and in fact improved upon. I don't know the costs of running the reopened game - nor how they expect to pay for it all.  If they could afford a lead Dev to oversee volunteers - that might be a great opportunity.

I was speaking specifically about Matt Miller, who I am sure at this point in his life would need to be able to make a living first, and if he had time/opportunity, could contribute to something like this.  That is what I thought would be pretty long odds on happening.  However, if they can assemble an able crew from hungry young programmers, just chomping at the bit to prove what they can do, more power to them!

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5354 on: March 20, 2015, 08:53:57 PM »
Unlikely... He would not leave without fixing the timeline... I think I can smell USS Relativity in our future... Let be honest this whole debacle is right up their ally.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5355 on: March 20, 2015, 08:59:42 PM »
We all serve the founders here!
The funny thing is most people don't watch ds9 long enough to know that the show does contain many many episodes that don't take place on the space station.
Heck there is episodes where you don't even see the station. The Dominion war was AWESOME. TNG and TOS were SO slow. Hence why my favorite series was voyager, DS9 and Enterprise. In that order. I actually fell asleep during TOS and TNG they got so dull at times. Haters can hate away but I don't see how you could tell me TOS and TNG were more exiting than the other 3. Voyager and Enterprise in particular had the best balance of exploration, action and character development...

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5356 on: March 21, 2015, 01:27:44 PM »
I was speaking specifically about Matt Miller, who I am sure at this point in his life would need to be able to make a living first, and if he had time/opportunity, could contribute to something like this.  That is what I thought would be pretty long odds on happening.  However, if they can assemble an able crew from hungry young programmers, just chomping at the bit to prove what they can do, more power to them!

I agree... but going down the path of possibilities and regardless of all the "no's" if there was a kickstarter "to finish Issue 24 with Positron" after the IP purchase I would sign up in a heartbeat.

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5357 on: March 21, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »
If there was a kickstarter "to finish Issue 24 with Positron" after the IP purchase I would sign up in a heartbeat.

Seconded.
All in favor?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5358 on: March 21, 2015, 01:51:59 PM »
Don't forget - if the game can show a profit, then there may be room to hire a Dev.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5359 on: March 21, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »
Outside of the lightning in a bottle original series...

....DS9 is the true jewel in the Star Trek crown.  (Much as I liked STNG...)

Odo and the Founders rocked.  And Next Gen had nothing to touch the Dominion war.  A diverse cast of characters that bled 'chemistry...' a series which must have written itself.

I remember critics previewing the series saying, 'How many stories can you get out of a space station before you run dry?'

The answer was a master class in Sci-fi writing and series development.  A fitting encapsulation, fleshing out and exploration of all things 'Star Trek.'  'Canon'?  This is as close as it will get.

(As for the dirty under belly of Star Fleet?  Meh.  Right up there with the CIA.)

Azrael.

Though I like Babylon 5 better, I was only ever disapointed in one episode of DS9. It was the last episode. I felt it was very rushed and just thrown together. Otherwise it was an excelent series