Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749027 times)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5320 on: March 19, 2015, 06:07:00 AM »
monitor and study Picard to make sure Locutus is indeed gone.  I would also have telepaths scan his mind for any traces of Borg technology secrets that the Federation could use.

I imagine section 31 did this or it would of been written into a future episode as some flashback.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5321 on: March 19, 2015, 06:49:27 AM »
I imagine section 31 did this or it would of been written into a future episode as some flashback.
Ah, yes.  Section 31.  I've always regarded them as the true heroes of the Federation.  They're the ones who actually dare to get the behind-the-scenes dirty business done that is necessary for the Federation to continue to actually exist.  The Feds are just too over-civilized for their own good.  The innocent Eloi can only frolic freely while the Morlocks take care of the ugly necessities out of their sight.

The DS9 episode "In the Pale Moonlight" was truly the finest Star Trek episode ever - I'm honestly surprised Cisco wasn't issued an invitation to join Section 31 after that magnificent affair.  Even if actual S31 agents weren't involved, I believe it perfectly captures the necessity for its existence and methods.

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #5322 on: March 19, 2015, 07:12:39 AM »
BOOBIESHIP!

These are the voyages of the Starship Boobie Prize.  Our continuing mission to engage in relations with alien life forms.  Search out new mind altering technologies and to boldly go where every man has gone before.  *cue James Horner music*

https://youtu.be/9mSgqMOKJho
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #5323 on: March 19, 2015, 07:25:37 AM »
Oh god... I won't be able to resist watching all of DS9 again much longer. I really want to see another star trek show like it someday. It had the perfect mix of everything all the other shows had and instead of the usual 2 part episodes it started the much needed long story arcs that were also present in voyager and enterprise. Along with the greatest space and ground war so far to hit the star trek universe.

STO sorta continues some of what happened with Cardassia and Bajor but I hope to one day see a series pick up where that left off.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #5324 on: March 19, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »
Oh god... I won't be able to resist watching all of DS9 again much longer. I really want to see another star trek show like it someday. It had the perfect mix of everything all the other shows had and instead of the usual 2 part episodes it started the much needed long story arcs that were also present in voyager and enterprise. Along with the greatest space and ground war so far to hit the star trek universe.

STO sorta continues some of what happened with Cardassia and Bajor but I hope to one day see a series pick up where that left off.

DS9 was a blatant ripoff of the Babylon 5 series concept.  B5 was MUCH better imho.
After TNG, never could get into any of the other series, Voyager was so-so, and enterprise was awful.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #5325 on: March 19, 2015, 12:27:45 PM »
Well, I'm glad I was able to stoke the fires of discussion... At least I'm good for something. It was getting to where one reply (or less) would be posted every day or so.

I always say "there are exceptions to everything." If you look hard enough, you can find an example of crap in every era. There's no denying that. I'm not a betting man, but I bet I could find far more examples in THIS era of songs speaking directly (and crudely) of sex than in ANY other era, bar none.

Because "she'd like to lick the lollipop" is about candy, right?

;)

Also, that ship looks more like the uterus to me than boobs.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:59:15 PM by AlienOne »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5326 on: March 19, 2015, 05:39:17 PM »
Also, that ship looks more like the uterus to me than boobs.

In even lighting, sure; but in the movie the lighting is such that you tend to see the boobies more than the rest.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5327 on: March 19, 2015, 06:19:16 PM »
I never saw into darkness - did they get rid of that pesky black hole in our solar system that wound up causing no problems whatsoever?

Since that particular black hole only had the mass of the Narata, it wouldn't cause any gravitational problems for the solar system unless you were right next to it.  And then a few hours later it would have detonated due to Hawking evaporation and disappeared.  In fact, we have to invoke a little bit of technobabble to even explain why it was a problem for the Enterprise; we have to presume that black holes created with red matter affect objects with residual warp fields dramatically different than normal objects.  Otherwise the Narata would have just been absorbed by the red matter black hole and then basically vanished without a visible trace, only to explode the next day in a burst of gamma rays.

In fact, the science-based version of that scene might have been even more interesting.  The Narata gets absorbed into the red matter black hole, getting crushed into a micro black hole.  Everyone relaxes.  Then Spock says something like "Captain, we have to leave immediately" but the warp core is damaged and they can't go to warp so they have to leave much more slowly on impulse power.  Because not all of the mass of the Narata fell into the black hole its Hawking lifetime is only minutes, not hours, and as the Enterprise pushes their impulse engines to the limit the Narata's black hole detonates behind them.  As it does, Scotty gets the warp engines back just long enough for them to jump to a safe distance.

Hmm.  If they did that, they would have been accused of stealing from Wrath of Khan.  Ironic.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5328 on: March 19, 2015, 06:21:20 PM »
This unfortunately never happens. It's like they choose to dump the old universe for a newer one in most cases.
While it isn't a television series, Star Trek Online is I believe technically considered canonical as far as CBS is concerned, and presumes the original timeline continued on after Spock created the new one inhabited by the Abrams movies.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5329 on: March 19, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »
While it isn't a television series, Star Trek Online is I believe technically considered canonical as far as CBS is concerned, and presumes the original timeline continued on after Spock created the new one inhabited by the Abrams movies.

Correct. STO is now the official holder of Trek Canonicity.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5330 on: March 19, 2015, 07:09:07 PM »
Outside of the lightning in a bottle original series...

....DS9 is the true jewel in the Star Trek crown.  (Much as I liked STNG...)

Odo and the Founders rocked.  And Next Gen had nothing to touch the Dominion war.  A diverse cast of characters that bled 'chemistry...' a series which must have written itself.

I remember critics previewing the series saying, 'How many stories can you get out of a space station before you run dry?'

The answer was a master class in Sci-fi writing and series development.  A fitting encapsulation, fleshing out and exploration of all things 'Star Trek.'  'Canon'?  This is as close as it will get.

(As for the dirty under belly of Star Fleet?  Meh.  Right up there with the CIA.)

Azrael.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5331 on: March 19, 2015, 08:06:24 PM »
Since that particular black hole only had the mass of the Narata, it wouldn't cause any gravitational problems for the solar system unless you were right next to it.  And then a few hours later it would have detonated due to Hawking evaporation and disappeared.  In fact, we have to invoke a little bit of technobabble to even explain why it was a problem for the Enterprise;

So rather than being unbelievably stupid it was maybe unbelievably smart? I'm not sure that changes my overall opinion of the movie but ok :D

I've never been a star trek guy but i gave the first new movie a go because everyone said it was more action than hard sci-fi. I do have to hand it to abrams - I disliked it for completely different reasons than other star trek stuff.

Surelle

« Reply #5332 on: March 19, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »
Correct. STO is now the official holder of Trek Canonicity.

Yikes.  They just lost 18 people from Cryptic in layoffs the other day, including their community manager, and also Matt Miller who was laid off too.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:29:23 PM by Surelle »

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5333 on: March 19, 2015, 08:19:42 PM »
Outside of the lightning in a bottle original series...

....DS9 is the true jewel in the Star Trek crown.  (Much as I liked STNG...)

Odo and the Founders rocked.  And Next Gen had nothing to touch the Dominion war.  A diverse cast of characters that bled 'chemistry...' a series which must have written itself.

I remember critics previewing the series saying, 'How many stories can you get out of a space station before you run dry?'

The answer was a master class in Sci-fi writing and series development.  A fitting encapsulation, fleshing out and exploration of all things 'Star Trek.'  'Canon'?  This is as close as it will get.

(As for the dirty under belly of Star Fleet?  Meh.  Right up there with the CIA.)

Azrael.

Yep. It had several episodes that were actual great scifi writing. I hadn't seen that since the original series. Too bad it ended rather poorly, imo.

Personal favorite was the episode where they get the Romulans on the "good" side in the dominion war.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5334 on: March 19, 2015, 09:26:26 PM »
Yikes.  They just lost 18 people from Cryptic in layoffs the other day, including their community manager, and also Matt Miller who was laid off too.

I wonder if there's a certain holding company for a certain game that might look to hire Matt to work on their revived game...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #5335 on: March 19, 2015, 10:37:04 PM »
I wonder if there's a certain holding company for a certain game that might look to hire Matt to work on their revived game...

From my point of view that would not be a bad thing. . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #5336 on: March 19, 2015, 11:47:29 PM »

If something like that is all that remained to sufficiently prove their ability to do what they say they can do, then hiring Matt could not happen quickly enough!  Of course, they could already be past that point for all we know, but since we don't know much....oh you see where I am going with this!  ;)
What was no more, is now reborn!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5337 on: March 20, 2015, 12:32:51 AM »
If something like that is all that remained to sufficiently prove their ability to do what they say they can do, then hiring Matt could not happen quickly enough!  Of course, they could already be past that point for all we know, but since we don't know much....oh you see where I am going with this!  ;)
What? Are you saying that there might be an NDA in place making it so that we have little to no information to go on so we can make various unsubstantiated claims that bear no (or very little) resemblance to the truth? Or, more likely, cause us to go off on tangents totally unrelated to the original post of the thread?  :P
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5338 on: March 20, 2015, 01:08:40 AM »
What? Are you saying that there might be an NDA in place making it so that we have little to no information to go on so we can make various unsubstantiated claims that bear no (or very little) resemblance to the truth? Or, more likely, cause us to go off on tangents totally unrelated to the original post of the thread?  :P

NSA...

No Such Agreement  ;)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #5339 on: March 20, 2015, 02:00:01 AM »
NSA...

No Such Agreement  ;)
Yesterday upon the stair,
I saw a man who wasn't there.