Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749409 times)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5280 on: March 18, 2015, 07:21:41 AM »
You missed out the "and get off my lawn"

I don't need to tell people that; the machine gun emplacements are a big enough clue. ;)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5281 on: March 18, 2015, 07:23:45 AM »
I mostly like my entertainment entertaining.  I'm more opposed to incompetently stupid than deliberately stupid.  Sharknado is deliberately stupid.  Superman III is incompetently stupid.

Of course, then there's transcendentally bad, like Leonard Part 6 (a movie so bad I find people rarely mention it among lists of worst movies ever, because hysterical blindness blocks all memory of the movie).

If you want to go for worse movies ever, I've got one.  Superman IV *shudder*

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #5282 on: March 18, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »
I am pretty sure "Plan 9 From Outer Space" ranks up there.   Cardboard tombstones, Paper plates set on fire as flying saucers.  Not to forget the changes from night to day without any explanation.  An actor with a black cape covering his face for the duration of most of the movie because actor Bela Lugosi died six weeks after they starting filming.   Along with that horrible sci-fi Richard Thomas movie "Battle Beyond The Stars."  Flying, talking Snail ships,  Sybil Danning as a space valkyrie, John Saxon as a laughable villain who almost gets choked to death by an alien's transplanted arm.  I kid you not.  LOL

"But I was going to live forever. I want to live forever!"   *BOOOOOM*  as villains giant spaceship explodes
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5283 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »
For a truly bad movie: Highlander 5 the Source......it was worse then Highlander 2.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5284 on: March 18, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
I would rank Battlefield Earth up there in the top something list of incompetent horibad movies.

The book was great, if a bit long at 1050 pages. the movie (only half of the book) was just... *shudders*

I feel sorry for the actors that were in the movie.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5285 on: March 18, 2015, 05:40:53 PM »
I am pretty sure "Plan 9 From Outer Space" ranks up there.   Cardboard tombstones, Paper plates set on fire as flying saucers.  Not to forget the changes from night to day without any explanation.  An actor with a black cape covering his face for the duration of most of the movie because actor Bela Lugosi died six weeks after they starting filming.   Along with that horrible sci-fi Richard Thomas movie "Battle Beyond The Stars."  Flying, talking Snail ships,  Sybil Danning as a space valkyrie, John Saxon as a laughable villain who almost gets choked to death by an alien's transplanted arm.  I kid you not.  LOL

"But I was going to live forever. I want to live forever!"   *BOOOOOM*  as villains giant spaceship explodes

Hey! You leave Battle Beyond the Stars alone! I wuvs the flying boobie ship!!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #5286 on: March 18, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »
I liked the film score to Battle Beyond The Stars. But we get to hear it many times in James Horner's other scores, many many times.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5287 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:16 PM »
I liked the film score to Battle Beyond The Stars. But we get to hear it many times in James Horner's other scores, many many times.

BOOBIESHIP!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5288 on: March 18, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »
They are heavens forbid - ENTERTAINING!

I don't always want a message, a depressing look into someone else's misery or to be preached at for being rich, happy or good looking (none of which apply - except happy).

Sometimes I want to see the Hulk ragdoll Loki. Sometimes I want to see Captain America stand up for what is right. Sometimes i want to see a small grumpy raccoon shoot stuff.

Sometimes.

Sometimes a flower is just a flower.

I actually agree, a lot.  In a day where everything has to be deep and dramatic.  We seem to have lost touch of pure entertainment. Pacific Rim I feel was a great example of this type of movie. 

It was a movie about Giant Mech's fighting Giant Aliens.  Nuff said.

It's okay to just enjoy something for the sake of enjoyment.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #5289 on: March 18, 2015, 07:45:12 PM »
If you want to go for worse movies ever, I've got one.  Superman IV *shudder*

The JJ Abrams Star Trek movies are pretty terrible as well. Sure they are entertaining but the only thing star trek in them is the design appearance of the characters and ships.
All they are is action packed movies with no sustenance.

Here's to hoping he doesn't shit on starwars as well.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5290 on: March 18, 2015, 07:58:11 PM »
The JJ Abrams Star Trek movies are pretty terrible as well. Sure they are entertaining but the only thing star trek in them is the design appearance of the characters and ships.

Here's to hoping he doesn't pancake on starwars as well.

They were bad, yes; but they pale in comparison to the horror that is Superman IV.   That movie is Highlander 2 bad.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5291 on: March 18, 2015, 08:11:50 PM »
Hey! You leave Battle Beyond the Stars alone! I wuvs the flying boobie ship!!

First law of the Varda is we don't talk about the Varda.  Wait...

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5292 on: March 18, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »
They were bad, yes; but they pale in comparison to the horror that is Superman IV.   That movie is Highlander 2 bad.

And yet.. Supergirl was WORSE..

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5293 on: March 18, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I am pretty sure "Plan 9 From Outer Space" ranks up there.   Cardboard tombstones, Paper plates set on fire as flying saucers.  Not to forget the changes from night to day without any explanation.  An actor with a black cape covering his face for the duration of most of the movie because actor Bela Lugosi died six weeks after they starting filming.

I put Plan 9 in a special category, specifically because of Ed Wood.  You could say Ed Wood was the worst writer/director of all time, and you'd probably be right.  However, its also true that in some ways Ed Wood could be described as one of the most successful guerrilla film makers of all time.  Bereft of talent, skill, and common sense, we all still know who he was because he loved making films at a time when doing so was several orders of magnitude harder than it is today.  Ed Wood's movies are like if Kevin Smith had done nothing but tried to make Mallrats and Dogma with nothing but his lunch money and pocket lint, over and over and over again.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5294 on: March 18, 2015, 08:42:32 PM »

I'm less critical of the Abrams Star Trek movies.  While I can understand the specific objection of the lack of "Star Trekishness" to them, that's a failing of a large number of Star Trek movies.  Of the previous movies, I'd say grading strictly on the "Trekishness" of the movie the first Abrams movie is similar to that of Wrath of Khan or Undiscovered Country, say.  Into Darkness is very low on that scale, but I would say its not lower than Star Trek Nemesis which most agree was not a good Trek movie but doesn't get nearly the same level of accusation that doesn't even belong among the others.

In many ways, the Abrams movies are a lot like First Contact.  Most agree its entertaining, but most would probably also agree its a major departure from the tone and even character of the TNG series its based on.  And yet the acceptance level of the two movies among a specific segment of the fans is almost completely opposite.

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #5295 on: March 18, 2015, 08:55:49 PM »
I think the acceptance of First contact has to with it still being a main time-line movie and having a cast many knew and loved.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5296 on: March 18, 2015, 08:58:39 PM »
I'm less critical of the Abrams Star Trek movies.  While I can understand the specific objection of the lack of "Star Trekishness" to them, that's a failing of a large number of Star Trek movies.  Of the previous movies, I'd say grading strictly on the "Trekishness" of the movie the first Abrams movie is similar to that of Wrath of Khan or Undiscovered Country, say.  Into Darkness is very low on that scale, but I would say its not lower than Star Trek Nemesis which most agree was not a good Trek movie but doesn't get nearly the same level of accusation that doesn't even belong among the others.

In many ways, the Abrams movies are a lot like First Contact.  Most agree its entertaining, but most would probably also agree its a major departure from the tone and even character of the TNG series its based on.  And yet the acceptance level of the two movies among a specific segment of the fans is almost completely opposite.

The problem with the first Abrams Trek movie is not that it wasn't Trek, it's because it was Aliens in a Brewery.

Still, at least we didn't see that f*****g engine room in the second one.  The only problem with THAT one is that they took probably the BEST of the original Trek movies, the one loved most by ALL the fans, and ruined it.

That was never going to go down well.  In fact... If someone had introduced me to Abrams right after I saw that movie, I'd have kicked him square in the balls.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #5297 on: March 18, 2015, 09:11:26 PM »
I guess I'm just too easy going. I watched all of Trek, starting in the 60's with the original series when it was first broadcast and I just didn't mind them at all.

The Trek Movies are their own thing and ought, I suppose, be considered separately from the TV series. The one that is most like the original series is probably my least favorite, Star Trek The Motion Picture.

But as far as Star Wars or even Star Trek movies go, fans will hate them because fans hate everything. Fortunately, they are such a small part of the movie going world that they have very little effect on the making of film or TV.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5298 on: March 18, 2015, 09:29:03 PM »

Still, at least we didn't see that f*****g engine room in the second one.  The only problem with THAT one is that they took probably the BEST of the original Trek movies, the one loved most by ALL the fans, and ruined it.

Except, the second movie was NOT a remake of Wrath of Khan.  It was a remake of Space Seed. 

Don't worry, most people make that same mistake.

I thought the movie was entertaining enough, in a don't think about it, kinda way, until the new Spock called the old Spock on the super-duper interstellar skype to get the down-low on what this khan fella was all about... Stopped the movie dead in its tracks, that did.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5299 on: March 18, 2015, 09:48:07 PM »
I thought the movie was entertaining enough, in a don't think about it, kinda way, until the new Spock called the old Spock on the super-duper interstellar skype to get the down-low on what this khan fella was all about... Stopped the movie dead in its tracks, that did.
Well, they had to work in some sort of reason for Leonard Nimoy's cameo.