Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750578 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5260 on: March 17, 2015, 08:49:43 PM »
Sorry, but you can't convince me that standards haven't dropped.

I think technology has changed things in a way where its a lot easier - for good and bad - for more people to reach larger audiences.  As a result, you do get more homogenization of music, and in fact all art.  But I don't think that's a question of standards being dropped, or the overall quality of art dropping.  I think there is about the same number of good artists today as yesterday.  I think its easier for lesser artists to become more popular, and for more of them to find success.  But I don't think that's necessarily bad.  Those same forces also make it a lot easier for smaller reach artists who a century ago would have never found an audience to find one.  Its just that you have to look harder to find them, away from the center of mainstream distribution channels.

Also: tropes are not good or bad.  Take Inception, which I call Christoper Nolan's love letter to story telling.  Its loaded with tropes of course, but then again its meta-story is about the nature of storytelling: it *has* to have tropes by necessity.  Sure, there are probably too many save the cat scripts out there, but its only recently we've started critiquing things in terms of tropes and structure.  We admire Sergio Leone and call his use of tropes and structure "style."  One can only wonder if he came along today if the spaghetti western would be seen as the creation of a genre, or the tired repetition of a man out of ideas.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #5261 on: March 17, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »
I think technology has changed things in a way where its a lot easier - for good and bad - for more people to reach larger audiences.  As a result, you do get more homogenization of music, and in fact all art.  But I don't think that's a question of standards being dropped, or the overall quality of art dropping.  I think there is about the same number of good artists today as yesterday.  I think its easier for lesser artists to become more popular, and for more of them to find success.  But I don't think that's necessarily bad.  Those same forces also make it a lot easier for smaller reach artists who a century ago would have never found an audience to find one.  Its just that you have to look harder to find them, away from the center of mainstream distribution channels.

I have had this discussion many times with my music and artist friends and they pretty much concur with your view. They would add that the plethora of mediocre music and art tend to drown out the better pieces that are being done.  Basically, very hard to hear one voice when everyone is shouting.

You can easily see this when you look at art and popular culture from the 20's and 30's. Only the cream is still well known. There many recordings and books and films that were made that no one has seen or heard for years. Occasionally, someone will "discover" a work that really is amazing that we have forgotten about, but believe me,  as much as I love early Jazz there is a ton of stuff that sounds exactly the same or with so little difference it doesn't matter.

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5262 on: March 17, 2015, 08:58:16 PM »
I think it is fitting and proper to be proud of your country but it should always be tempered by an understanding that you are not alone on this planet and trampling over others to preserve profit margins for large corporations can lead to huge problems. Plenty of examples of this historical and recent.

That is exactly my view of things, in that one can be a patriot without going so far as to believe "might makes right".  To me patriotism in america isn't just believing in the country just because you were born here or believing ideals it was founded on and whatnot but both.  The country was founded as a republic eventually to both keep the colonies united but also allow for everything to eventually develop towards the society we are familiar with today.

Using the military "As a hammer" and treating every problem "As a nail" kind of makes us little different than everyone the forefathers were leaving behind so long ago and, to me, it steps us backwards.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5263 on: March 17, 2015, 09:44:50 PM »
Oh, what would I give for a single person in the world to understand even ONE point I ever made...

Whatever, I'm used to it by now. I could name at least one hundred other artists of today that are exactly the same. What did the "I know" end up as? Was there a point to it? Did he actually know something? Oh yeah... It was that when she was away, life wasn't worth living or that the house wasn't a "home" when she was gone. Sir Paul McCartney's message was to convey a love to someone.

Rihanna's song? Ummm... Is there a deep meaning behind wanting the p***y?

I could go back further.

"Tutti Frutti Oh Ruti Tutti Frutti Oh Ruti Tutti Frutti Oh Ruti Tutti Frutti Oh Ruti" - and that song IS about sex, nothing more.

I'm not saying the Rhianna song is good, but claiming that music has been going downhill has been sort of a thing for as long as there's been music.  And the argument that one modern song has nonsensical lyrics or little meaning completely ignores the point that plenty of songs have always had nonsensical lyrics or little meaning.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5264 on: March 17, 2015, 10:03:12 PM »
I could go back further.

"Tutti Frutti Oh Ruti Tutti Frutti Oh Ruti Tutti Frutti Oh Ruti Tutti Frutti Oh Ruti" - and that song IS about sex, nothing more.

You should have stopped off in the 70s and grabbed "A horse with no name."

There were plants and birds and rocks and things...

Indeed.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5265 on: March 17, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »

Indeed.

I'd rather listen to 70's music than 99% of the absolute dross that gets released these days...

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5266 on: March 17, 2015, 10:32:24 PM »

Indeed.

I really hope nobody is going to complain about Purple People Eater.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5267 on: March 17, 2015, 10:39:01 PM »
I'd rather listen to 70's music than 99% of the absolute dross that gets released these days...

You missed out the "and get off my lawn"

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5268 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:13 PM »

60's and 70's is my favorite era of music.

Did we seriously have a page or three of discussion on Starship Troopers?  ???
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5269 on: March 17, 2015, 11:05:16 PM »
Well my preferred version was done by RiffTrax Live! - it was hilarious.  ;)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #5270 on: March 17, 2015, 11:31:52 PM »

It was a pretty interesting discussion of movie vs source material and always good to talk about Heinlein. Besides, it beats the hell out of another round of "Why haven't we heard anything? DOOOOM! The global conspiracy is keeping things from us about CoH"
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5271 on: March 17, 2015, 11:34:57 PM »
Doom.

Now that was a fun game. :D

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5272 on: March 18, 2015, 12:06:29 AM »
You missed out the "and get off my lawn"

I think that's implied by the use of the word "dross."

Also, I actually like The Horse With No Name, but that might be because my parents had the album and I can still hear the song play when the room gets quiet.  In general, for me thought-provoking entertainment is welcome but not mandatory: I mostly like my entertainment entertaining.  I'm more opposed to incompetently stupid than deliberately stupid.  Sharknado is deliberately stupid.  Superman III is incompetently stupid.

Of course, then there's transcendentally bad, like Leonard Part 6 (a movie so bad I find people rarely mention it among lists of worst movies ever, because hysterical blindness blocks all memory of the movie).

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5273 on: March 18, 2015, 12:08:17 AM »
Doom.

Now that was a fun game. :D

Not a very good movie, though.  Even with Hercules and Judge Dredd in it.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #5274 on: March 18, 2015, 12:16:12 AM »

I can go even further back...

I went into the chandlers shop some candles for to buy,
I looked 'round the chandlers shop but no on did I spy
I was disappointed so some angry words I said
When I heard the sound of a (thump thump thump) up above my head

Traditional
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:29:10 AM by Power_Gamer »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5275 on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:12 AM »
Not a very good movie, though.  Even with Hercules and Judge Dredd in it.

I totally agree with you there.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5276 on: March 18, 2015, 03:07:59 AM »
That is exactly my view of things, in that one can be a patriot without going so far as to believe "might makes right".  To me patriotism in america isn't just believing in the country just because you were born here or believing ideals it was founded on and whatnot but both.  The country was founded as a republic eventually to both keep the colonies united but also allow for everything to eventually develop towards the society we are familiar with today.

Using the military "As a hammer" and treating every problem "As a nail" kind of makes us little different than everyone the forefathers were leaving behind so long ago and, to me, it steps us backwards.
I can go even further back...

I went into the chandlers shop some candles for to buy,
I looked 'round the chandlers shop but no on did I spy
I was disappointed so some angry words I said
When I heard the sound of a (thump thump thump) up above my head

Traditional

Someone tangled the thread again.  Where did I leave those cable ties...

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #5277 on: March 18, 2015, 03:29:29 AM »
lol
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #5278 on: March 18, 2015, 04:38:38 AM »
If the end of minority report was happy i read it completely wrong.

Your spoiler'd note is a theory I rather liked when I first heard it. I don't believe it to be the intent of the movie, though. But is a much more Dick ending.

(well, and the omission of the Tales of the Black Freighter, but I admit I never really liked that anyway)

It's my understanding that they released that as an animated feature with the DVD. I saw the theatrical release of Watchmen, because it was the thing to do... I still really think I should have just waited for the 5 hour long, full director's cut. I suspect it would have been better for me.

In my Greek class in college, we translated an ancient Greek play that had a dick joke. Sure, it was making fun of Socrates, but still. There's high-falutin' stuff in every era, and low brow stuff in every era. Lucky for us, we have Roman graffiti preserved in Pompeii to prove it the universality of low standards.

Besides, there's plenty of brilliant lyrics in the modern day. Anyone can single out any single song that's crap, and say "things ain't what they used to be!" Or, as those arguing against you did, "things ain't any worse!"  Or as people above this post argue - lots of mediocre drowns out the good, sometimes - but there is indeed plenty of good to be found.

You can easily see this when you look at art and popular culture from the 20's and 30's. Only the cream is still well known.

Read what Neil Gaiman said about 50 Shades of Grey - in short: yes, it's popular now, but there are tons of books that were popular for a short time, that no one remembers now. The classics endure, and consistently sell forever - they aren't a flash in the pan like many huge money makers are.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5279 on: March 18, 2015, 05:14:59 AM »

Of course, then there's transcendentally bad, like Leonard Part 6 (a movie so bad I find people rarely mention it among lists of worst movies ever, because hysterical blindness blocks all memory of the movie).

It's entirely possible that recent unfortunate revelations have made Leonard part 6 hilarious. I for one am not willing to subject myself to it to find out though.