Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747857 times)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4400 on: December 07, 2014, 05:05:01 AM »
I know the common logic was that NCSoft hates CoH - that is not what I found.

They disliked certain members of that staff and some serious personality issue derailed the first deal.

NCSoft is still working with our folks and sometimes we forget that they don't make this kind of deal. They also are working slow no doubt because it is a new type of deal with a lot of moving parts. I have absolutely no doubt this will happen the company doesn't hate us.
I agree, I do not think Nc Soft hates us or the other City of communities. This is the first of its kind with Nc Soft so they are taking their time. I also agree the first attempt might have been too soon imho they should have waited a half a year to calm down and enter the talks in a cool collected way.
I have no doubt that we will get our home back it is just a matter of time. :) (this is just my theory)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4401 on: December 07, 2014, 06:54:42 AM »
I agree, I do not think Nc Soft hates us or the other City of communities. This is the first of its kind with Nc Soft so they are taking their time. I also agree the first attempt might have been too soon imho they should have waited a half a year to calm down and enter the talks in a cool collected way.
I have no doubt that we will get our home back it is just a matter of time. :) (this is just my theory)

True this is a first for NCSoft, and I can understand them wanting competent programmers taking ownership even though the game is going to be forever Ish 23 until CoH 1.5 activates.   However aside from the holidays slowing things down, I wonder if the process is being slowed by the lawyers and all the legalities involved?  Both sides want things to be correct in the eyes of the law I'm sure, but sometimes the wheels of justice do grind a bit more slowly then they should.  Though if they can somehow regain our accounts and characters, then the slowness would be very well worth it.

Just speculation of course.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Achilles6

• Minion
« Reply #4402 on: December 07, 2014, 06:59:30 AM »
I don't know....at this point City of Titans may be out before we hear anything more. or is that just me??  :-\

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4403 on: December 07, 2014, 07:14:32 AM »
There is never very much movement in the business world between Halloween and New Years. It especially slows down between Thanksgiving and New Years. And basically nothing happens at all in the week before or after Christmas.

I certainly can't speak for every business, but wow. I recently made a bit of a career changing move recently. Sort of, getting back to my original career path and using that degree that I pay for in the form of student loans repayment. And I cannot trust my eyes, so very little work gets done. I have a co-worker who shows up to work pretty much when the mood suits her - which admittedly is most of the time, but I've been there less than 2 full weeks and there have been two days when she's shown up 2 hours late. Our immediate supervisor runs to the neighborhood convenience store...2, maybe 3 times a day, plus three or four smoke breaks a day.. and the big boss, I know he stays later than all of us, but he never shows up before 10, and even then he'll head out to lunch and pretty much we'll be lucky to see him until the next day.

It is indeed a wonder ANYTHING ever gets done where I now work, regardless of what time of year it is.

/end rant
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4404 on: December 07, 2014, 08:02:07 AM »
I certainly can't speak for every business, but wow. I recently made a bit of a career changing move recently. Sort of, getting back to my original career path and using that degree that I pay for in the form of student loans repayment. And I cannot trust my eyes, so very little work gets done. I have a co-worker who shows up to work pretty much when the mood suits her - which admittedly is most of the time, but I've been there less than 2 full weeks and there have been two days when she's shown up 2 hours late. Our immediate supervisor runs to the neighborhood convenience store...2, maybe 3 times a day, plus three or four smoke breaks a day.. and the big boss, I know he stays later than all of us, but he never shows up before 10, and even then he'll head out to lunch and pretty much we'll be lucky to see him until the next day.

It is indeed a wonder ANYTHING ever gets done where I now work, regardless of what time of year it is.

/end rant

Last time I worked in an environment like that I did the following:

1. Updated resume and sent it out several times a day, even to places that had already received it.

2. Kept secret notes about such things as you describe, including names ,dates, times, etc.

3. See if there was one of the special phone numbers for an employee to call "anonymusly" to report such things.  If there was no such number, then anonymous emails from outside the company to the HR department, and put some of the info in the email to help gain their attention so they could start looking into things.

4. Put on appearance of keeping my head down and doing my job.

5. Find another place to work at ASAP
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #4405 on: December 07, 2014, 09:28:14 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:19:32 AM by Stealth Dart »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4406 on: December 07, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
Hey, In the sober light of a new day, I would like to express an apology to the thread, Agge, and especially Nate and his friends.  Amidst the build discussions and Bombadil debate, I lost track of the purpose of this thread.

To continue the football (Holy Crap -- GO BUCKS!!?!*) analogy of our "Task Force Hail Mary" -- I am a face-painted screaming fan who hasn't actually done ANYTHING who grumbles that the crummy coaching staff oughta be fired because we aren't winning this game FAST ENOUGH!  I'm not even in the stadium, I'm outside in the parking lot getting drunk and stuffing my face with Brats and mad because we're only up by 4 goals. 

I think, especially, I was trying to goad information loose which is really not cool -- I allowed my frustration at the news blackout to overwhelm me.

I want to again thank everybody who is actually doing work on this or who has -- especially Nate and his Planeteers.

* for those not familiar with American College football, the Ohio State University Buckeyes, last night won their championship playoff, scoring 59-0 against the #2 ranked defense in the country, led by their 3rd string Quarterback who had never started a game, who had to take over when their 2nd-string broke his ankle last week

"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #4407 on: December 07, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
I don't know....at this point City of Titans may be out before we hear anything more. or is that just me??  :-\

I think we'll be waiting for city of titans for awhile and I don't mean or intend to sound negative on that. Keep in mind you can only do so much with 700,000 dollars and if the game takes two - three years to develop on top of all other expenses I don't think that's enough to cover payroll. And aren't most of them working on the game and also doing full time jobs?

The good news is when the cox is sold it shouldn't take them forever to get it ready to play and if I had to guess we'll probably be playing Valiance before or close to the time it's ready to play.

Someone from MwM come and slap me if I'm wrong but I think I recall this being basically a volunteer effort and that the kickstarter was to fund all things and software needed to make the game. Not to pay everyone making it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 06:21:32 PM by Noyjitat »

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4408 on: December 07, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
Hey, In the sober light of a new day, I would like to express an apology to the thread, Agge, and especially Nate and his friends.  Amidst the build discussions and Bombadil debate, I lost track of the purpose of this thread.

I'm pretty sure most of us know the feeling. It's those damn dark nights, man. They get to ya.

/e holdtorch

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #4409 on: December 07, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »
Someone from MwM come and slap me if I'm wrong but I think I recall this being basically a volunteer effort and that the kickstarter was to fund all things and software needed to make the game. Not to pay everyone making it.

I'm not from MwM, but the slapping is unnecessary.
You're correct. The kickstarter money was for software, and other such things needed to create and maintain the game. Not to pay people to work on it. Therefore, yes, it's a volunteer effort at this point...and I'm sure most of the staffers are having to work around full time jobs.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4410 on: December 07, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »

To continue the football (Holy Crap -- GO BUCKS!!?!*) analogy of our "Task Force Hail Mary" -- I am a face-painted screaming fan who hasn't actually done ANYTHING who grumbles that the crummy coaching staff oughta be fired because we aren't winning this game FAST ENOUGH!  I'm not even in the stadium, I'm outside in the parking lot getting drunk and stuffing my face with Brats and mad because we're only up by 4 goals. 

I think, especially, I was trying to goad information loose which is really not cool -- I allowed my frustration at the news blackout to overwhelm me.

I want to again thank everybody who is actually doing work on this or who has -- especially Nate and his Planeteers.

* for those not familiar with American College football, the Ohio State University Buckeyes, last night won their championship playoff, scoring 59-0 against the #2 ranked defense in the country, led by their 3rd string Quarterback who had never started a game, who had to take over when their 2nd-string broke his ankle last week

You also forget though that football games run a same time span, and also that when a game is won with a curbstomp like the one you mentioned it's actually rather unentertaining for more neutral observers of the game.

If I was to use an analogy of a different game, i'd avoid an actual sport and say use any game where "First to hit X wins".  So heres my analogy, a game of Unreal tournament 3 lasting 15 minutes not being finished by the five minute marker due to the other team getting lucky and killing the flag carrier for 12 minutes after that same flag carrier had already caught 2 flags and is now trying to finish the game with the third flag capture.  It felt like forever and it wasn't all that fun :(.

We are to my knowledge in the last minutes of the game and while we are I think winning we still have to get that last flag in, and sadly the carrier kept getting killed by a scorpion or hellbender on the way back to base this whole time :).(if you wonder why I am so specific, that actually happened to me a couple nights ago).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4411 on: December 07, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »
I guess a physical sport that could be used would be golf, since that tends to be whoever gets the ball to the hole in the minimum number of strokes wins the end of the game of golf(so to speak) ends when the last hole is sunk rather than when a timer ends.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4412 on: December 07, 2014, 08:03:59 PM »

I understand having no news can be frustrating and while I cannot speak for everyone else I do think we all went down this road a few times :) For myself how I get by and not think about what is going on is I play the secret world and watch movies like the original Fog. :)
Like you even though I some times post it, I am very thankful to nate and the team doing everything they can do get our home back.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #4413 on: December 07, 2014, 11:45:23 PM »
My advice for anyone who is having trouble waiting for news: Be a hero in real life till you can be one online, and then continue to be both.

I just finished a 2 day task force to get food and presents to survivors of sexual and domestic abuse in local area shelters.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4414 on: December 08, 2014, 12:25:19 AM »
Oh yeah, waiting can be tough.  I try hard not to check this website more than once a day and sometimes forget for a couple of days.

Still, we are further than we were 12-1-12.  If Nate or Tony ever says it is dead-dead-dead and no going back than all we can do is thank everyone for trying and say "damn, that was good while it lasted." 

Happy Holidays all!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4415 on: December 08, 2014, 01:39:27 AM »
I won't stop until NCSoft says - we will never sell the game. I check the site for information and the community. Where else you gonna go?

There is a reason my title is stubborn as an Elite Boss.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:51:30 AM by Ironwolf »

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #4416 on: December 08, 2014, 06:29:49 AM »
I won't stop until NCSoft says - we will never sell the game.

This, and farther.
I've been dedicated to City of Heroes for over a decade, almost half my life. Why stop now, or ever?

"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4417 on: December 08, 2014, 09:09:46 AM »
Still talking...It's going slowly, but that's to be expected over the holiday season, and in the wake of such events such as the Carbine layoffs... Nothing much new to report.

At least that's the latest news I've gotten as of a few days ago.
I'll take it.

I can't help thinking that the longer it goes on, the better.   Hard for me to think the talks would become less serious over time.

InOnePiece

• Minion
« Reply #4418 on: December 08, 2014, 06:03:44 PM »

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4419 on: December 09, 2014, 02:41:07 AM »

Yes, that is what they are telling you.  :)

And I believe them too.  ;)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms