Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749313 times)

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4380 on: December 06, 2014, 04:02:20 AM »
I'm just worried that the longer this drags on, the more likely the NCSoft folks will swap chairs/leave positions and the whole thing get tossed or started over -- it's not exactly their primary business or way of doing things traditionally.  Still, it's not like there's anything to be done about it ... I was spoiled by the heady days of summer when a deal looked right around the corner.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Surelle

« Reply #4381 on: December 06, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
I'm just worried that the longer this drags on, the more likely the NCSoft folks will swap chairs/leave positions and the whole thing get tossed or started over -- it's not exactly their primary business or way of doing things traditionally.  Still, it's not like there's anything to be done about it ... I was spoiled by the heady days of summer when a deal looked right around the corner.

Well, yeah, I really hadn't thought of that, but I have been hoping against hope that this isn't some way of just putting us off eternally until Team Hail Mary gives up and goes away.

All we can do is keep our fingers crossed.  And it *has* been nice to think that CoX could return, somehow, some way, all this time, too.   :)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #4382 on: December 06, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »
Well, yeah, I really hadn't thought of that, but I have been hoping against hope that this isn't some way of just putting us off eternally until Team Hail Mary gives up and goes away.

Well...they could much more effectively do that by telling us "No.". If they for some reason simple do not, and will not sell...taking it this far just adds fuel to the fire so to speak. What I mean is...Say the deal falls through juuuuuust short of signing...then a bunch of us are going to get together and say "Ok, We're pretty sure we know what went wrong." and try again.
Also, keep in mind that ever hour someone at NCSoft is having to work with the team, or on the deal...is time and money spent out of their pocket.

"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4383 on: December 06, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
... keep in mind that ever hour someone at NCSoft is having to work with the team, or on the deal...is time and money spent out of their pocket.

But speaking from the ignorance zone of the "outside", right now, it looks like NCSoft ISN'T having to spend hours to work with the team

-- it looks like they spent a few hours, took a meeting, read some memos, sent some memos to legal consultants, who read them and replied to the points, took some phone calls, had a lunch, and for the last few months have had the notes covered by other memos on their desks and sitting back in the backlogs of their mail queues -- will they get back to them before the next reorg?

"Well, we have to deal with that potential new investor deal right now, but maybe next month we'll get an hour to discuss this again -- thank you for your patience." 

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4384 on: December 06, 2014, 07:00:54 PM »

I think it's a good concern with no way to mitigate.  Hopefully this will see a conclusion "soon".  I am positive the people in the know will let us know when this comes to a conclusion or next chapter.

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4385 on: December 06, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »
I think it's a good concern with no way to mitigate.  Hopefully this will see a conclusion "soon".  I am positive the people in the know will let us know when this comes to a conclusion or next chapter.

But will they let us know as it slides into limbo's embrace... or is the deal's epitaph "no news is good news"

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4386 on: December 06, 2014, 08:35:17 PM »
Okie dokie, we get it, you're a pessimist. Please don't bring the entire thread down. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #4387 on: December 06, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
Okie dokie, we get it, you're a pessimist. Please don't bring the entire thread down. :)
It's my point of view that since previous efforts were rebuffed and NCsoft certainly felt no need in the past to even pretend to be interested in selling that this is an authentic negotiation and not some sort of delaying tactic intended to let things peter out. Things could still fall through and require starting over, but that's always a possibility for any deal. At this point no news is no news. It's not especially good, but it is definitely not bad; at the very least it means that a deal is still in the works.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4388 on: December 06, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »

Actually, I was just really, really, really, hoping for somebody to say "No. You're wrong."

3 months of "no news is good news" ... a complete lack of any indications of activity ... an indication of IN-activity ... at what point, barring a definitive "no" which might never come, should some other efforts move?

Teddy Bear Ftw

• Underling
« Reply #4389 on: December 06, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
Actually, I was just really, really, really, hoping for somebody to say "No. You're wrong."

3 months of "no news is good news" ... a complete lack of any indications of activity ... an indication of IN-activity ... at what point, barring a definitive "no" which might never come, should some other efforts move?

No. You're wrong. Too late? Too soon?

Pure speculation time...Any proposed deal is going to be slow moving simply due to the fact that it is a business deal.

Nothing happens instantly or even quickly. In the grand scheme of things, it hasn't been that long since the deal was started. Logically, it has been even less time than that since any serious negotiation was taking place.

First thing, that needed to occur was verification that this was a serious offer. That takes time. Each piece has been occurring for less time than the previous step until at some point you arrive at the current step. There isn't much logic in NCSoft determining whether the team was qualified or not just to placate them.

If this deal drags on for another year, then something is certainly off, but simply waiting has no serious negative ramifications.

In the end, not everything is a Nemesis plot.

Just kidding. It is.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4390 on: December 06, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »

There is never very much movement in the business world between Halloween and New Years. It especially slows down between Thanksgiving and New Years. And basically nothing happens at all in the week before or after Christmas.

If Nate gets a "no", I'm 100% certain he's going to post that he got a "no". He's not a dick.

Now, like I said before, please stop bringing the entire thread down. We're here for support, not that other stuff.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4391 on: December 06, 2014, 11:23:33 PM »
Now, like I said before, please stop bringing the entire thread down. We're here for support, not that other stuff.

Ooh, sorry --  I misunderstood.  In which thread would such comments/speculation be appropriate?

Surelle

« Reply #4392 on: December 07, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »
Ooh, sorry --  I misunderstood.  In which thread would such comments/speculation be appropriate?

All right now!  Lol.  Believe me, there aren't many people here who think a positive outcome is set in stone.  But there will be plenty o' time for cryin' if we get a complete "No" at some point.  Moreover, even if we get a "No," we'll be no worse off than we already are.  I wouldn't totally throw in the towel attitude-wise nor would I repeatedly say "We're almost there!" over and over either.  We just don't know.  I doubt CoX is very high on the priority list over there at NCSoft, though, so I really don't expect very much very soon. 

Think about one little drop of water going into the pond.  It can send ripples across the entire pond.  Do you want your ripple to be the one that upsets everyone, riles them up for really no reason (because at present, we really don't know anything)?   Pat your little ripple and calm it down.   ;)  And please remember what I said:  We're no worse off for trying no matter what happens.

This superhero community will live on regardless.  There's CoT coming, maybe there's SCoRE sometime down the road....  And who knows, maybe someday there will be CoX Zombie Edition.

Hey, zombies are really making a comeback in gaming!  DayZ, Walking Dead, Dead Island, and even possibly CoX....   :P

Netzahualcoyotl

• Minion
  • <Infinity alum - global Netzahualcoyotl>
« Reply #4393 on: December 07, 2014, 12:45:23 AM »
This superhero community will live on regardless.  There's CoT coming, maybe there's SCoRE sometime down the road....  And who knows, maybe someday there will be CoX Zombie Edition.

Hey, zombies are really making a comeback in gaming!  DayZ, Walking Dead, Dead Island, and even possibly CoX....   :P

Don't forget the pre-CU edition SWG (SWGemu.com) - up and shuffling (pre- "28 Days Later" reference!) for over 2 years now....  ;D
... Atlanteans fled to far corners of the planet to preserve themselves and as much of their science and technology as time would allow...  Atlantean DNA remains among the inhabitants of Earth... and when the strains randomly cross-multiply... a re-combined Atlantean can occasionally result - stronger, faster, more evolved with abilities far beyond those of normal humanity... A being like... Atzlanticus!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4394 on: December 07, 2014, 12:52:17 AM »
I know the common logic was that NCSoft hates CoH - that is not what I found.

They disliked certain members of that staff and some serious personality issue derailed the first deal.

NCSoft is still working with our folks and sometimes we forget that they don't make this kind of deal. They also are working slow no doubt because it is a new type of deal with a lot of moving parts. I have absolutely no doubt this will happen the company doesn't hate us.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #4395 on: December 07, 2014, 01:31:47 AM »
I know the common logic was that NCSoft hates CoH - that is not what I found.

They disliked certain members of that staff and some serious personality issue derailed the first deal.

NCSoft is still working with our folks and sometimes we forget that they don't make this kind of deal. They also are working slow no doubt because it is a new type of deal with a lot of moving parts. I have absolutely no doubt this will happen the company doesn't hate us.

Love the optimism. I'd buy you a Xmas gift for the hard work but I think you'd want me to spend it on Coh legacy or a successor project.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #4396 on: December 07, 2014, 02:01:50 AM »

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10507.0.html
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #4397 on: December 07, 2014, 02:57:42 AM »
There is never very much movement in the business world between Halloween and New Years. It especially slows down between Thanksgiving and New Years. And basically nothing happens at all in the week before or after Christmas.

Yeah...My dad works at a very large software company in the sales dept...and he's basically sitting around with a ton of free time right now because all of his clients have basically frozen up for the holidays.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4398 on: December 07, 2014, 03:04:11 AM »

This is pretty normal for corporate procedures.

Personal example: at the beginning of this year I find out that an external group that my company works with plans to sell us one of their product lines that we sell.  I work with this external group *a lot* for testing the stability of this line so I figure I'll be pulled into the tech transfer.  First quarter, nothing.  No mention among the production units.  Second quarter, nothing.  No mention from anyone.  Third quarter, nothing official but I hear the plan is still active.  Finally last month I'm contacted by the quality department informing me I'll need to start transferring their quality standards into my company's templates.  The transfer had been in process the entire time, it was just need-to-know.

When the announcement happens, it'll be abrupt and I reckon we'll be dizzy at how quickly things move.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 05:35:51 PM by Teikiatsu »
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4399 on: December 07, 2014, 04:38:42 AM »
That is what I think as well.

I am sure NCSoft will want everything in place - the sale goes through and bang we have open Beta a month later. It would not surprise me at all.