Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750184 times)

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4340 on: December 03, 2014, 08:33:50 PM »
As I recall Sam Rami is not a fan of the symbiote characters and was told by the studio to shoehorn Venom into #3.

Yes, but fans who mention this are letting him off easy. The basic plot structure would have been very similar had they gone with Raimi's idea, with the Vulture filling in Venom's part in the plot; we would still have gotten the Peter/MJ break-up, we would still have gotten the Exposition Butler, we would still have gotten the cop-out of someone else murdering Uncle Ben...

It was a flawed production. The studio didn't improve it, but they don't bear all the blame either.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4341 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:37 PM »
Yes, but fans who mention this are letting him off easy. The basic plot structure would have been very similar had they gone with Raimi's idea, with the Vulture filling in Venom's part in the plot; we would still have gotten the Peter/MJ break-up, we would still have gotten the Exposition Butler, we would still have gotten the cop-out of someone else murdering Uncle Ben...

It was a flawed production. The studio didn't improve it, but they don't bear all the blame either.

Interesting
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #4342 on: December 03, 2014, 11:51:49 PM »

And don't forget, we would still have gotten the Peter dance scene....  that was all Rami
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4343 on: December 04, 2014, 12:26:08 AM »
And don't forget, we would still have gotten the Peter dance scene....  that was all Rami

Well they had to keep from going Rated R so if it was a choice between a bloody violent Peter tearing into people due to the effects of the symbiote or seeing him as a dancing fool to keep the violence down.....
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4344 on: December 04, 2014, 04:30:34 AM »
Well they had to keep from going Rated R so if it was a choice between a bloody violent Peter tearing into people due to the effects of the symbiote or seeing him as a dancing fool to keep the violence down.....

"Middle ground"?  What's that?!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #4345 on: December 04, 2014, 05:39:18 AM »
"Middle ground"?  What's that?!

The place where Peter Jackson decided to make a trilogy out of 3 hours of material?
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #4346 on: December 04, 2014, 05:48:25 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:21:23 AM by Stealth Dart »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #4347 on: December 04, 2014, 07:04:37 AM »
So no Silmarillion movie for you!

Thank the gods for that!

One thing that puzzled me with the LoTR movies. How the hell, in all that time wasting, did they STILL manage to completely forget about Tom Bombadil? They could have made his segment alone into another three movies! :P

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #4348 on: December 04, 2014, 07:11:09 AM »
One thing that puzzled me with the LoTR movies. How the hell, in all that time wasting, did they STILL manage to completely forget about Tom Bombadil? They could have made his segment alone into another three movies! :P

I'm so glad they didn't... I liked him...but It always felt to me like the beginning of Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Mans Chest.
Movie starts, plot advances... STOP
Now we're going to come deal with this totally unrelated thing for 20 minutes!
Ok, NOW continue the relevant story.

-shrugs- I know I'm likely in the minority for it, but I think the choice was for the best.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #4349 on: December 04, 2014, 07:20:52 AM »
Oh I agree with you, but I'm still astonished that Jackson passed on the opportunity to make his movies even more boring. :p

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #4350 on: December 04, 2014, 08:48:40 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:21:47 AM by Stealth Dart »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #4351 on: December 04, 2014, 01:56:05 PM »
So no Silmarillion movie for you!

Aww, too bad. 

I mean if he managed to turn 146 page book into 3 multi-hour movies,
then the Silmarillion could have been at least 10 full "episodes".  :gonk:

Personally, I thought leaving out T.B. was a good choice.  He's an interesting character,
but really had no reason for inclusion. 

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4352 on: December 04, 2014, 03:10:11 PM »
Thank the gods for that!

Tom Bombadil was, according to JRRT,  an enigma.

He wasn't forgotten, he was left out intentionally because he is out of place in the world.

Tom shows up in other JRRT stories which are clearly not Middle Earth.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4353 on: December 04, 2014, 03:24:12 PM »
The guy that does Dresden Codak (http://dresdencodak.com/) is illustrating The Silmarillion on his own: http://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/ The Q&A is here: http://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/post/72123140655/silmarillion-project-q-a
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4354 on: December 04, 2014, 03:58:15 PM »
Just poking my head in to see if any progress has been announced. I figured not, since I've been speed-checking FaceBook almost daily (I figure news of City of Heroes' return will be shouted from the mountaintops there). The upcoming holiday season (actually, we're already hip-deep in it) has me and everyone, I'm sure, busy and only getting busier.

Still, as many have said before me, no news is good news.  :)

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4355 on: December 04, 2014, 05:15:31 PM »
Just poking my head in to see if any progress has been announced. I figured not, since I've been speed-checking FaceBook almost daily (I figure news of City of Heroes' return will be shouted from the mountaintops there). The upcoming holiday season (actually, we're already hip-deep in it) has me and everyone, I'm sure, busy and only getting busier.

Still, as many have said before me, no news is good news.  :)

It's quiet... Too quiet.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4356 on: December 04, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »
Thank the gods for that!

I think it was because the Tom Bombadil scenes make the hobbits look a lot less competent.

HOBBITS: "Oh no! We've been attacked by this evil tree and we're completely helpless!"

TOM: "Don't worry, old Tom Bombadil will save you! Now you're fine--to get out of my realm safely, just take the left-hand path to avoid the barrow-wights, and you'll be just fine!"

HOBBITS: "Let's strip naked and skip merrily down the right-hand path!"

TOM: "Oh FFS."

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #4357 on: December 04, 2014, 09:37:16 PM »
I think it was because the Tom Bombadil scenes make the hobbits look a lot less competent.

HOBBITS: "Oh no! We've been attacked by this evil tree and we're completely helpless!"

TOM: "Don't worry, old Tom Bombadil will save you! Now you're fine--to get out of my realm safely, just take the left-hand path to avoid the barrow-wights, and you'll be just fine!"

HOBBITS: "Let's strip naked and skip merrily down the right-hand path!"

TOM: "Oh FFS."

I liked the National Lampoon version of the Lord of the Rings. I especially like the way they dealt with Tom (Benzedrine). The 'bard song' as interpreted by the lampooners was especially humorous.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4358 on: December 04, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
What's unfortunate is that there are rumors that Hollywood wants to try to make another DUNE movie.....

When will they learn that a book like DUNE cannot be done in ONE movie?  Two movies at least.

The SciFi Channel, back in its glory days got it right when they made the 3 part mini-series. Some of the casting could have been better but it was still done well.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4359 on: December 04, 2014, 11:36:27 PM »
the one thing I wished City of has was a zone with a beach, I know there were zones that had it, but I am referring to is zones like the secret world Kingsmouth. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.