Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750493 times)

Groundbreaker

• Minion
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #4120 on: November 14, 2014, 07:38:30 PM »
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #4121 on: November 14, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »
Welcome onboard Groundbreaker!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Groundbreaker

• Minion
« Reply #4122 on: November 14, 2014, 08:02:06 PM »
Welcome onboard Groundbreaker!

Thanks Power_Gamer :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4123 on: November 14, 2014, 08:55:48 PM »
Also, thanks for the Taxibot services, Groundbreaker. :-)

Taxibot Belle was the Taxibot that I saw the most during my tenure with CoH. I never failed to stop and say "Hi, and thanks for your selfless service." when I saw her online. Not that ever used the Taxibot services. Most of the issues I had getting around in various zones was because of ambush spawns for level 40+ guys in Steel Canyon. Usually Devouring Earth slogging down the street just as I round the corner, all while I'm still in my lower teens...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4124 on: November 14, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »
What she said.....

I have to agree with Illusionss completely. I want the game back and I'm willing to pay a decent price every month for it.  At the sametime I want a f2p model because there was times (not long stretches). That I couldn't afford the 15 a month and would rather be f2p than go without.

If I were the one making the decisions - which, natcherlly, I'm not - after I had recouped my initial investment in CoX Resurrected, and after CoT had launched, THEN I might introduce f2p, and only then. I don't mind people who need the game to be free, playing. But it only makes economic sense to NOT put these people making this effort for us, into a financial hole.

I don't want to be all "Hey, people who negotiated with a [at best!] touchy and difficult foreign company for months on end, to get our game back! Hey, superheroes who labored for months to dismantle that doomsday device!! Good work! Good job! I'm glad you got us our game back! Hahaha, I'm not going to give you any financial 'thanks' for that though.... you should do all the work, now give the fruit of your labors to me FOR FREE!"

I'm not at all saying that YOU are saying that. But there will be plenty who will. General observation here.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4125 on: November 14, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »

Taxibot Belle was the Taxibot that I saw the most during my tenure with CoH. I never failed to stop and say "Hi, and thanks for your selfless service." when I saw her online. Not that ever used the Taxibot services. Most of the issues I had getting around in various zones was because of ambush spawns for level 40+ guys in Steel Canyon. Usually Devouring Earth slogging down the street just as I round the corner, all while I'm still in my lower teens...

I well remember the day my level 15? Dom rounded a corner and ran full tilt into a spawn of about twenty level 40 Malta Titans and their handlers, somewhere in the Fort in Mercy. That was.... an interesting day.

*INSTANT AND HORRIBLE DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*  *hosp*

Groundbreaker

• Minion
« Reply #4126 on: November 14, 2014, 09:25:53 PM »

We were playing on Defiant so originally we were just a homage to the Taxibots on the American server. I used to get loads of questions from new players about the game, which I did my best to answer but I was fairly new myself at the time. It took me a long time to realise a lot of people thought we were Admin because they couldn't conceive of a player taking time out to help people so much. I will say you're welcome for what we did, but I think the times I accidentally led Paladins into populated areas probably balances out my karma lol

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4127 on: November 14, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »
Reading through the replies on here - I have changed my tune a bit.

I think I would offer a 3 tier structure:

1. $15 a month and you get it all - all veteran powers, the same amount of points you used to get a month and all special badges past, present and future to all characters.

2. $5 a month you get to start new and have to build up to the veteran powers (or buy them as an add on for a nominal fee). You get nothing but a shiney new account and a small monthly point allowance.

3. F2P - all the earlier restrictions of a F2P account as of i23.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4128 on: November 14, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »

1. $15 a month and you get it all - all veteran powers, the same amount of points you used to get a month and all special badges past, present and future to all characters.

2. $5 a month you get to start new and have to build up to the veteran powers (or buy them as an add on for a nominal fee). You get nothing but a shiney new account and a small monthly point allowance.

this makes perfect sense, the reason being those who will pay full price should get everything and those who cannot pay can still get on and still play.
Those who want a pay only option needs to understand that this in my opinion will never happen, and the reason for the game to become free to play when it was open was to bring in new players and old.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #4129 on: November 14, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »

Sounds prefect. I am ready to pay 15.00 dollars to play COH again. I am willing to pay some to download the game. I just wish we had a date. Ah well.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4130 on: November 14, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »
My reasoning is this lets people have multiple accounts without penalty.

It lets new players try it, free.

It lets poorer players have everything except vet rewards for $5 a month.

It lets those who can afford it - to have everything.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4131 on: November 14, 2014, 10:27:42 PM »

The only restriction I would do away with (think it's been talked about couple times here) for f2p/freemium players is the problems with IO. Just disable the bonus and procs of the IOs but leave the buffs. Another one was about the chat system being so restrictive for f2p/freemium. Allow full access to the chat that way you encourage people to interact with the community potentially invest into the system.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4132 on: November 14, 2014, 10:50:03 PM »

This is a good system generally, but what happens when you stop paying $15 a month? Are the badges (that I'm using in my example because you used them in yours) suddenly revoked from all your characters? For items like that, there's nothing preventing people from paying $15 once, and then not paying ever again. You can certainly limit things like IOs or the Incarnate system - limiting actual content to $15 / month would be more of an incentive to buy continuously.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #4133 on: November 14, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »
The only restriction I would do away with (think it's been talked about couple times here) for f2p/freemium players is the problems with IO. Just disable the bonus and procs of the IOs but leave the buffs. Another one was about the chat system being so restrictive for f2p/freemium. Allow full access to the chat that way you encourage people to interact with the community potentially invest into the system.
It's a proposition with merit MM3, but toggling off IO rewards is something that might require additional coding to a binary copy - something for  CoX 1.5 but I don't think it's possible with zombie binary copy of Legacy CoX

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #4134 on: November 14, 2014, 11:42:34 PM »
I would pay $30 a month, just for the old F2P access. Hell I'd even take a level cap.
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4135 on: November 14, 2014, 11:43:31 PM »
The biggest problem I had with F2P with CoH when we had it was that IMHO it gave away too much. I could play characters 1-50 and had only minor reasons to even pay. (yes I considered going F2P because I gave up very little) You don't need to have good math skills to figure out that you are begging from the players who already pay to pay even more to keep the folks who had no interest in ever paying anyways.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #4136 on: November 15, 2014, 12:34:05 AM »
This jist of the argument is that it is improbable to get new players into the game before the graphics retrofit, so it is pointless to try? I suppose that's fair enough. My worry is that if the only people who play are on this forum with a handful of others, it will be very difficult to do much of the group oriented content. It was suggested to move on from this topic, so that'll be the last I say on the matter. It is my persistent and genuine desire to see you all in the game again, and, I hope, sooner rather than later.
Well, besides these forums i know of several CoH Facebook groups that have relatively little overlap with these forums that are active and encounter people referencing CoH as a game they enjoyed fairly regularly on other gaming sites. At a minimum i would say there's enough people out there who would play in a minute given the opportunity that we could keep several servers pretty busy on fan power alone. Honestly CoH's graphics still compare pretty favorably to some AAA MMOs that are less than three years old.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4137 on: November 15, 2014, 12:48:31 AM »
Alot of gamers can look past graphics if the gameplay is really good and the game has it's layers of depth.  They like learning things at times and they look at how things tend to move and flow.  An example is quake, lets face it, quake is a very, very old game.  But if you watch someone play on a speed run, even, it's actually very entertaining to see them just move through the levels like a ninja.  City of heroes had solid gameplay, just needed the graphics but when you look at all the powers it had...

Just look at us, many of us here have been unwilling to touch CO or even DCUO, which has the mighty Unreal engine 3, because the gameplay isn't something we liked.  While I may like DCUO, can't say the same for everyone.  But I also still play deus ex, and thats UE1, and barely looks better than quake.

And the artstyle matters, to me, far more than the technology behind it.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4138 on: November 15, 2014, 12:51:40 AM »
The biggest problem I had with F2P with CoH when we had it was that IMHO it gave away too much. I could play characters 1-50 and had only minor reasons to even pay. (yes I considered going F2P because I gave up very little) You don't need to have good math skills to figure out that you are begging from the players who already pay to pay even more to keep the folks who had no interest in ever paying anyways.
Losing IOs on your existing characters made them literally unplayable.  Maybe not a problem if you didn't use them, but a lot of people did.

If you want to look at a game that gives away too much in F2P, take a look at Star Trek Online.  Your character slots are limited and you don't get the Zen stipend that subscribers do but that's about it.

AnElfCalledMack

• Minion
« Reply #4139 on: November 15, 2014, 01:37:56 AM »
Only problem with giving free accounts full chat is the spam from for-profit farmers, trying to sell powerlevelling or rare drops for real cash. You can ban the spammer, but they just make a new free acc and do it again. I agree it's less than ideal, but it might be necessary