Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1747515 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #3260 on: September 30, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »
Another poster claimed regen was so weak because without mitigation healing and regeneration were worthless.  They went so far as to claim a single boss could kill regen in three hits.  Normally I assume people are just being hyperbolic or exaggerating to make a point, but this was a bit too far (and it was being used to literally support the point that without damage reduction the regeneration set could not be effective at all) so I offered this poster a way out to back down on that statement.  Instead, they doubled down and claimed they weren't just exaggerating but reporting actual in-game experience.

Calculations trivially proved this statement false, but of course "numbers aren't everything" so I had to resort to making this video.  I did a back of the envelope calculation of the maximum survivable damage for a level 34 regen scrapper I had.  I unslottted all the inventions and put nothing but SOs and a few common IOs I had lying around, and found a Rikti boss spawn of just about the right damage to be at the break even point, which turned out to be two chief soldiers in melee and a mesmerist boss at range.  It takes a *long* time for them to eventually get me.  Basically, the video shows with Dull Pain up its just not possible for two Chief Soldiers to take down a regen scrapper.  With Dull Pain down it is possible, but impossible for just one to do so.  And this was the worst case scenario where you're not getting any help from the primary.

Funny thing: got no response from that particular poster.  However, they would return every few months or so to make the exact same claim, whereupon I would just post the video in response.  After a while, they stopped making the claim and moved on to other more absurd claims.

Regen was never really a weak set.  Just that it's main weak point was alpha strikes, 3 bosses won't but 3 bosses, 2-5 lieutenants and a bunch of minions could if they got the attacks in at the same time.  And it depends on the enemies, some enemies are higher damage than others.  Rikti imo are one of the easier groups, not discrediting ya, three bosses struggling to kill you when your using just regeneration by itself..but say a few tank swipers from the freaks?  I know for sure that they can hit far harder then that, I certainly had to use rebirth anytime one of those things got a hit on my fortunata.  Various groups had their strengths and weaknesses.  Rikti were more of a "tried to be well rounded, but not actually excelling at anything".  Cimerorans would have totally been a different story, 3 cimeroran bosses could have taken you down rather quickly due to defense cascading.

Edit: Not saying regeneration is weak, as I said, never was a weak set.  But not every enemy group was ever created equal either.  Guy may still have been stubbern anyways.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:42:02 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3261 on: September 30, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »
Even though the Posi hates alt thing has been beat into the ground.  I still strongly disagree.  And many of the posts on this forum is proof of what he is saying.

So many people think the end game was a bad idea because *they* don't like it.  Even though there would be a much smaller amount of players here without the endgame content that was added.  I never see people who like end game content telling people they are playing wrong for making alts in CoH.  Yet on more then one occasion on this very forum there have a been a few posts that basically state they don't appreciate they way people play the game when they enjoy end game content, and enjoy putting a lot of work in their main character. 

It simply makes Posi's article more true, and more relevant.  The game had no shortage of stuff to do for alts, but virtually nothing to do for end game material.  And so when they start adding end game material and focusing on it, after several  years of only focusing on mid game content and content for alts.  People start saying he hates alts, and that basically min/maxers and end game seekers are not welcome in CoH because that isn't what makes "CoH good" as if only the alters opinions matter about the game.  They did not remove low level content, they did not punish people for playing alts, they did not say alting was bad.  All Posi was trying to do was balance out the content in the game.  The game was almost 100% pre-50 content.  So he decided he would try to even that out a little bit.  And when he does it is taking as "He hates alt, loves raiding, and wants to ruin CoH for alters and make it more like WoW".  When really he was just adding more content for other types of players.  Yet he knew because of how popular alting was that this would be a problem met with heavy resistance because of the play style of many of CoH's players.  And that is exactly is what happened and would still be happening if the game was up.  I don't see how appealing to other peoples play styles is "hating alts and making the game like WoW'.  When was alting EVER punished in CoH?  Because I remember when people who weren't huge alters were punished in CoH.  It was 3/4's of the game's existence

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3262 on: September 30, 2014, 09:27:54 PM »
I guess the issue for me is that Positron's "vision" ended up being something that I perceived as "let's put in grindy end game raids like every other game!". I can appreciate that he has a vision and that it's important to have one, but if I don't like the vision, I'm not sure where that leaves me.

Living in the real world I suppose.

Many players hated the inventions system, and many of them left because of it.  Many others loved it, and went as far to say that the invention system kept the game fresh for them and caused them to stay when they otherwise might have left.  Its clear in retrospect that the decision to add the invention system had no right answer if you are measuring that by whether the decision causes harm to the playerbase.  Adding it caused harm: not adding it would have caused harm.  The game didn't last long enough to make a similar judgment about the incarnate system, but I suspect a similar thing would have been true: adding it cost players, not adding it would have also cost players in the long run.

I personally think the invention system gained or retained more players than it cost overall: whether you were a single-character focused player or an alt-generator the invention system was overall a net positive, although that would be difficult to prove.  I think the incarnate system was player-neutral at the time of the shutdown, but I think it would have turned positive over time as the developers expanded to non-trial aspects of it.

If you were one of the players that didn't and would never like it, there's nothing much to say.  Its not that I want your gaming experience degraded, but if you asked me if I would have been willing to trade the invention system away to get back the players it cost the game, I would have to honestly answer "no."

Which, incidentally, brushes up against the asymmetry associated with alting.  This is something I actually discussed with the devs occasionally in different guises, in particular when I was part of the Freedom focus group.  This is a huge oversimplification for discussion purposes, but the wedge between those that want focused progression and those that want a variety of alts isn't in their differing desires, its actually how they interact with an overlapping player type: completists.

A "deep" (for lack of a short descriptor) completist wants to do everything on a single character.  If it exists in the game, they want to do it at least once, get it at least once, have at least one of it.  They want every badge, they want everything unlocked, they want to have done every mission at least once.  Every time the devs add something they cannot experience on a single character that is related to making more characters, like power sets, they see that as time that could be spent making the game deeper for them: its an opportunity cost.

However, that's not true going the other way.  an alt-completist wants to try every possible character type: every kind of archetype, every powerset, maybe even every powerset combination eventually.  But they *also* tend to want those alts to be "first class citizens" which means to a large extent if they do it on one, they want to do it on all, or at least a large percentage of them.  They want badges on more than one alt, they want to do mission content on more than one alt, they want to progress to the maximum progressional levels on every alt.

When you add depth to the game rather than breadth, the impact on alt-completists isn't that there's an opportunity cost, its that there's the potential to place a lot of content out of reach.  Now, adding powersets also adds content out of reach of the deep-completists, but because they are deep players they already made that decision to forgo exploring alternate characters in the first place.  Its adding content in an area they already decided not to go.  It hurts less.  If it hurt more, they would be altists.

So in effect, you have a game where you can expand its width (by adding more character options) and its depth (by adding more progressional systems and content).  For those that want depth, increasing the width only hurts a little.  But for those that want width, a significant percentage not only want width they also *need* less depth.  For them, adding depth hurts more.

I think the discussion of "grindy end game" masks a more fundamental problem that the devs perceived in the feedback they got, and is something Matt had on his mind when writing that article.  A game that encourages alting does create a problem that is specific to alting in that there is a group of players you will enable that won't just advocate for more alting options but also *less* everything else.  That's not true in the reverse, and its a problem that can hamper future development of a game.

Personally, I think the dev team believed this problem was mostly intractible.  I tended to think it was not completely intractable: it could be significantly moderated in a way that the Incarnate system itself did not succeed at.  But I think the core of the problem is actually intractable.  My philosophy was "something for everyone, not everything for someone."  That means when in doubt, develop in a way that gives something to each kind of playstyle.  But there's one kind of playstyle that philosophy is incompatible with: the wide-completists.  When you give something to everyone, you will almost certainly be adding things to the game that make it increasingly difficult to be a wide-completist.  In my opinion, that's just the way it goes: if you want to be a wide completist, you need to have a lot of time to do so.

As a developer, you never want to say to a player that you're just not going to develop for them, but the truth is that you either develop for wide-completists, or everyone else, and everyone else usually wins.  The only reason why CoH was compatible with wide-completists in the first place was purely coincidental: they simply didn't have enough developers to outrace most wide-competists until long after launch.  But it wasn't for lack of trying.

As I said, this is oversimplifying a lot, but that's how I tended to see the overlapping player interests.  I don't know if the devs saw it exactly the same way, but I do know there were many times during my discussions with a dev where they would say words to the effect of "we can't do that because" and essentially give a reason congruent to the above: that doing so would make life difficult for one segment of the player population or another.  Its something they thought about a lot.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3263 on: September 30, 2014, 09:39:12 PM »
Living in the real world I suppose.

Many players hated the inventions system, and many of them left because of it.  Many others loved it, and went as far to say that the invention system kept the game fresh for them and caused them to stay when they otherwise might have left.  Its clear in retrospect that the decision to add the invention system had no right answer if you are measuring that by whether the decision causes harm to the playerbase.  Adding it caused harm: not adding it would have caused harm.  The game didn't last long enough to make a similar judgment about the incarnate system, but I suspect a similar thing would have been true: adding it cost players, not adding it would have also cost players in the long run.

I personally think the invention system gained or retained more players than it cost overall: whether you were a single-character focused player or an alt-generator the invention system was overall a net positive, although that would be difficult to prove.  I think the incarnate system was player-neutral at the time of the shutdown, but I think it would have turned positive over time as the developers expanded to non-trial aspects of it.

If you were one of the players that didn't and would never like it, there's nothing much to say.  Its not that I want your gaming experience degraded, but if you asked me if I would have been willing to trade the invention system away to get back the players it cost the game, I would have to honestly answer "no."

Which, incidentally, brushes up against the asymmetry associated with alting.  This is something I actually discussed with the devs occasionally in different guises, in particular when I was part of the Freedom focus group.  This is a huge oversimplification for discussion purposes, but the wedge between those that want focused progression and those that want a variety of alts isn't in their differing desires, its actually how they interact with an overlapping player type: completists.

A "deep" (for lack of a short descriptor) completist wants to do everything on a single character.  If it exists in the game, they want to do it at least once, get it at least once, have at least one of it.  They want every badge, they want everything unlocked, they want to have done every mission at least once.  Every time the devs add something they cannot experience on a single character that is related to making more characters, like power sets, they see that as time that could be spent making the game deeper for them: its an opportunity cost.

However, that's not true going the other way.  an alt-completist wants to try every possible character type: every kind of archetype, every powerset, maybe even every powerset combination eventually.  But they *also* tend to want those alts to be "first class citizens" which means to a large extent if they do it on one, they want to do it on all, or at least a large percentage of them.  They want badges on more than one alt, they want to do mission content on more than one alt, they want to progress to the maximum progressional levels on every alt.

When you add depth to the game rather than breadth, the impact on alt-completists isn't that there's an opportunity cost, its that there's the potential to place a lot of content out of reach.  Now, adding powersets also adds content out of reach of the deep-completists, but because they are deep players they already made that decision to forgo exploring alternate characters in the first place.  Its adding content in an area they already decided not to go.  It hurts less.  If it hurt more, they would be altists.

So in effect, you have a game where you can expand its width (by adding more character options) and its depth (by adding more progressional systems and content).  For those that want depth, increasing the width only hurts a little.  But for those that want width, a significant percentage not only want width they also *need* less depth.  For them, adding depth hurts more.

I think the discussion of "grindy end game" masks a more fundamental problem that the devs perceived in the feedback they got, and is something Matt had on his mind when writing that article.  A game that encourages alting does create a problem that is specific to alting in that there is a group of players you will enable that won't just advocate for more alting options but also *less* everything else.  That's not true in the reverse, and its a problem that can hamper future development of a game.

Personally, I think the dev team believed this problem was mostly intractible.  I tended to think it was not completely intractable: it could be significantly moderated in a way that the Incarnate system itself did not succeed at.  But I think the core of the problem is actually intractable.  My philosophy was "something for everyone, not everything for someone."  That means when in doubt, develop in a way that gives something to each kind of playstyle.  But there's one kind of playstyle that philosophy is incompatible with: the wide-completists.  When you give something to everyone, you will almost certainly be adding things to the game that make it increasingly difficult to be a wide-completist.  In my opinion, that's just the way it goes: if you want to be a wide completist, you need to have a lot of time to do so.

As a developer, you never want to say to a player that you're just not going to develop for them, but the truth is that you either develop for wide-completists, or everyone else, and everyone else usually wins.  The only reason why CoH was compatible with wide-completists in the first place was purely coincidental: they simply didn't have enough developers to outrace most wide-competists until long after launch.  But it wasn't for lack of trying.

As I said, this is oversimplifying a lot, but that's how I tended to see the overlapping player interests.  I don't know if the devs saw it exactly the same way, but I do know there were many times during my discussions with a dev where they would say words to the effect of "we can't do that because" and essentially give a reason congruent to the above: that doing so would make life difficult for one segment of the player population or another.  Its something they thought about a lot.

It may be that positron wasn't entirely in touch with the players as much as we'd liked.  OR he fell out of touch after the shut down.  Communicating was something though they(paragon studios) did display at times, but it seems looking at the history of CoX that it was something they got better with time.  Even then they still weren't entirely in touch, perhaps.  The incarnate system was good for those who wanted end game, yes, but not everyone liked it, but then they probably didn't want to make that for everyone.  This is evident with the fact that they still added non-incarnate content.

But then, you also have to remember the player base that was established with CoX BEFORE the incarnate trials was a very different player base than the typical mmorpg, which was even more-so what made CoX so unique.  A LOT of us were more balanced players, many of us had altitus and many of us liked experimenting, and this was because the game took a direction that encouraged that more and more.  So by the time he got to making incarnate content, we the players, the community in many ways was shaped by what CoX was before.  It's just a fact that our game ended up very different then other mmorpgs and in a way that would have been harder to grasp, even for some of the veterans, even.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

skoogmik

• Minion
« Reply #3264 on: September 30, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »
On the topic of how the game changes, there is a COH demo at ES 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8GeYQVeiP8

FelixMWM

• Underling
« Reply #3265 on: September 30, 2014, 10:03:41 PM »
Know thy users, for they are not you.
"Preliminary optimization is the root of all evil." -Knuth
MWM System Analyst
a.k.a. Mr Sigma, Mr. Stochastic, Balancing Act, The Oncoming Storm

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3266 on: September 30, 2014, 10:16:57 PM »
But the thing is, as a game designer you don't have the luxury of saying, "Your way of having fun isn't as good as my way of having fun." (Despite a previous lead developer for CoH thinking exactly that...) It's Positron's job to accommodate as many playstyles, as many goals, and as many players as he can so long as they're not mutually exclusive and so long as he has the resources to do so. Incarnate content was for the people who saw starting over at level 1 as a waste of time and effort, and wanted to continue making their main character more powerful. That may not be something you saw as useful, and maybe you even think less of people who have that as a goal. (I'm sure they feel the same way about you.) But it doesn't hurt anyone to give them what they want, and it's not like we weren't getting more new powersets to try right up until the end. (Nature Affinity and Beast Mastery, for example, were really cool and innovative.) I'm really just saying that Positron was right to recognize that the game didn't include a lot of people, and to expand it to include those people. As someone who despises being railroaded into a certain playstyle, I'd think you would support that. :)

I disagree with this to an extent but can't help but agree to some.

My thing is, yes you can not include certain types of players, almost every single game made does so. There's no possible way to please everyone, WoW recognized this and pushed very strongly towards a very specific type of player. In my opinion though the only reason the game did so well is advertising and their large brand based fan boys, which I won't lie I loves me some blizzard games. I'm conflicted though because I agree that including everyone is not such a horrible idea. At some point though you really will have to make a choice as to which group is more important and I can easily say positron was heavily in favor of the end gamers.

The reason IO's worked out so well, in my mind, is because they were not something implemented from day 1. The core group of players had ample time to gather influence over the years allowing "weekend warriors" (a term this game explicitly mentioned early on in production constantly to remind people it's friendly to those who can't burn 7 hours a day on games) to play and keep up. This is not a feature I have found in any other game. Even in Destiny right now all my friends are 27+ while I'm struggling to get past 23.

CoH set a standard that other games, to this day, cannot keep up with. It said "Screw the other major MMO's we'll make a game that we would enjoy." and so our beautiful city was born. I love this game for that so much. The fact it actually made its own path rather than trying to do the typical business model gaming, focus on what the market already has and hope we can steal their fan base, is something I'll never forget. Very few games these days have the ability to actually make something original.

I understand the whole pleasing everyone thing and concede it's not a horrible idea. I just really believe the roots of this game need to be respected and remembered. Giving lots of time between incarnate patches would allow people like me to continue playing without being "left out" so to speak. It's a very bitter feeling playing a game for so many years only to have players joining within months blasting by you because they rush content.

The other argument I'd present is when is it enough? I think if we've learned anything from WoW recently, it's that people eventually get tired of everything. In the future I really see a lot of companies focusing on multiple games that satisfy different player groups that aren't extremely hard on the wallet. That's just a prediction though since the pay to win concept seems to scare off so many people.

Sorry if this seems rushed, it was :P. I think I've learned a lot from this discussion so far, the opinions/ideas being talked about have opened up my eyes quite a bit.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3267 on: September 30, 2014, 10:18:13 PM »
Regen was never really a weak set.  Just that it's main weak point was alpha strikes, 3 bosses won't but 3 bosses, 2-5 lieutenants and a bunch of minions could if they got the attacks in at the same time.

Well yeah, but at that point SR with conventional slotting would faceplant as well.  Comparatively speaking Regen was weaker there, but it wasn't an extreme weakness.  Anything that could kill a regen immediately on the alpha strike would usually kill a different scrapper a few seconds later.

One thing I used to stress was that there was a difference between a theoretical weakness and a practical one.  A theoretical weakness is where set A dies in this situation and set B lives.  A practical weakness is where set A walks away at the end and set B dies at the end.  A theoretical weakness that is not a practical weakness is where set A dies in five seconds and set B dies in ten seconds.  That's a metric useful for comparison, but only in restricted analyses.

And it depends on the enemies, some enemies are higher damage than others.  Rikti imo are one of the easier groups, not discrediting ya, three bosses struggling to kill you when your using just regeneration by itself..but say a few tank swipers?  I know for sure that they can hit far harder then that, I certainly had to use rebirth anytime one of those things got a hit on my fortunata.

Freakshow Tank Swipers do hit harder per hit, but I don't think they dealt more damage than Chief Soldiers in melee range, at least for the purposes of this test (and against most scrappers).  Two mitigating factors.  First, the Rikti damage is more than half energy: all the ranged shot and about a quarter of the melee hit are energy (the rest of the melee hit is lethal).  All of the tank swiper damage is smash/lethal.  At the time of the video Resilience was resistance to smash/lethal/toxic, not res(all), to the tune of about 9% slotted.  Second, critter AI doesn't use attacks efficiently.  If the tank swiper used all of his attacks efficiently, he'd outdamage the Rikti Soldier by about 25%.  Instead, because he often spams grenade more often than he should, his effective damage output tends to be closer to the Rikti Soldier in raw terms, and with the energy damage edge the Soldier probably deals about the same or more damage as the swiper against most scrappers (SR would, of course, not care).

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3268 on: September 30, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »
Well yeah, but at that point SR with conventional slotting would faceplant as well.  Comparatively speaking Regen was weaker there, but it wasn't an extreme weakness.  Anything that could kill a regen immediately on the alpha strike would usually kill a different scrapper a few seconds later.

One thing I used to stress was that there was a difference between a theoretical weakness and a practical one.  A theoretical weakness is where set A dies in this situation and set B lives.  A practical weakness is where set A walks away at the end and set B dies at the end.  A theoretical weakness that is not a practical weakness is where set A dies in five seconds and set B dies in ten seconds.  That's a metric useful for comparison, but only in restricted analyses.

Freakshow Tank Swipers do hit harder per hit, but I don't think they dealt more damage than Chief Soldiers in melee range, at least for the purposes of this test (and against most scrappers).  Two mitigating factors.  First, the Rikti damage is more than half energy: all the ranged shot and about a quarter of the melee hit are energy (the rest of the melee hit is lethal).  All of the tank swiper damage is smash/lethal.  At the time of the video Resilience was resistance to smash/lethal/toxic, not res(all), to the tune of about 9% slotted.  Second, critter AI doesn't use attacks efficiently.  If the tank swiper used all of his attacks efficiently, he'd outdamage the Rikti Soldier by about 25%.  Instead, because he often spams grenade more often than he should, his effective damage output tends to be closer to the Rikti Soldier in raw terms, and with the energy damage edge the Soldier probably deals about the same or more damage as the swiper against most scrappers (SR would, of course, not care).

I agree with you on the scrapper part there.  As for the tank swiper I could certainly see power misuse on the AI's behalf as potentially slowing them down in regards to taking you down.  Still possibly faster though in regards to three of them attacking a regen scrapper in those circumstances, possibly.  I thought about cimerorans likewise, and honestly think it may have been overkill to bring them up.  But I regularly fought them on a widow without trouble, buut that was more due to my attacks.  Just letting them hit me, i'd be down in no time, even with my near-soft capped defenses.

I'm now wondering about other enemies.  Enemies I knew were major threats to my main were Arachnos and Malta.  Arachnos's various Tarantula Mistress's and Tarantula queens had -defense, so I know they could debuff the player to make the player more killable, they also had -recharge in the same attacks if i recall(which would have slowed dull pains recharge).  Malta wouldn't I would think be better or worst at killing a defending regen scrapper than the above.  But then again I am not sure how much -recharge the Tarantula Mistresses/queens had compared to a chief mentalist. 

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #3269 on: September 30, 2014, 11:01:50 PM »
Here is the website I was referencing to earlier
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
This is the computer I'm going to make xD
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j2dcBm

Oh man. How did I not know about this website?

And...Cuz I had a few minutes while I was eating breakfast...
In case anybody's curious...This is the computer I'm developing Revival on...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WdB8P6

EDIT: My keyboard is so old it doesn't even show up on the list... :(
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:30:36 PM by Irish_Girl »
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

opprime2828

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3270 on: September 30, 2014, 11:54:51 PM »
No one is all one thing (at least, few are).  I liked leveling my alts.  I also had my power-mad days.  Enjoying the end-game power pursuit grind-fest wasn't mutually exclusive from enjoying the more conventional levels of play.

I actually believe there were a lot of players that were generalists in that regard; willing and able to enjoy almost any mode of gameplay in the game.  I even occasionally liked to PvP, just to PvP (just to get my ass kicked usually, but I did get the PvP badge with no farming so I did win at least sometimes).

I completely agree. That's why I think CoH had begun to achieve a balance that few other MMOs have been able to. That's something I desperately hope the developers of the successors are aiming for, as well: balance and variety.

opprime2828

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3271 on: October 01, 2014, 12:11:38 AM »
I fell directly into this group--specifically the invention system/stay-in-Mids-for-the-same-amount-of-time-I-spent-in-the-game group, and it kept me around for YEARS longer than I ever stayed in any other game (with the possible exception of Diablo 2--but, the same concept applies in those types of games too...constantly striving to be "extremely powerful" by small margins--and by experimentation)... :P

Miss making MIDS builds...so...much.

I probably had 50 alts, a large number of 50s and a large number of lowbies.  It usually took me to around level 25 before I knew if I liked a combo/concept/build enough to stick it out for the long haul. I had quite a few builds I'd levelled to 50 only to delete when I was done.

To me, that wasn't a sign of failure, it was a matter of taste and priority.  I had a fire/storm controller named The Stellar Stormer.  The concept was a great one: He was a celestial god in an alternate universe, one of quantum size.  He was exiled here only to find that he was no longer the "big fish in the pond."   All of his powers were tinted to look like a swirling galaxy, etc.  He was a fun concept to play, and I'd always wondered if I could make the numbers work on that combo.  I did.  He was fun.  But he wasn't a character or combo that I wanted to go back to much.  I levelled him. I enjoyed him.  That was enough.

That was very different than my Dual Pistol/Kinetics Corruptor, Quick Draw. He was just a perfect fit for me, and he didn't get deleted. I ran him through incarnate trials, etc. Then there was my dark/demons MM, Desert Walker.  His dark powers were tinted to look like sand/desert winds.  He was the last survivor of a desert world ravaged by Shivans.  He commanded the last surviving desert beats of his world, here trying to help Earth survive where his people didn't.  He was fun, and I never wanted to deleted him. He was great for solo.  But he was a pain in incarnate trials and I never planned to get him through them.

NONE of that was a failure on the part of myself, my choices, or the devs.  They were all different parts of the "game" to me.  They each played differently and served different purposes for me; some thematic, some logistic, some for play style.  And I never felt locked down or like I was somehow missing out.   

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3272 on: October 01, 2014, 12:14:11 AM »
I agree with you on the scrapper part there.  As for the tank swiper I could certainly see power misuse on the AI's behalf as potentially slowing them down in regards to taking you down.  Still possibly faster though in regards to three of them attacking a regen scrapper in those circumstances, possibly.  I thought about cimerorans likewise, and honestly think it may have been overkill to bring them up.  But I regularly fought them on a widow without trouble, buut that was more due to my attacks.  Just letting them hit me, i'd be down in no time, even with my near-soft capped defenses.

I'm now wondering about other enemies.  Enemies I knew were major threats to my main were Arachnos and Malta.  Arachnos's various Tarantula Mistress's and Tarantula queens had -defense, so I know they could debuff the player to make the player more killable, they also had -recharge in the same attacks if i recall(which would have slowed dull pains recharge).  Malta wouldn't I would think be better or worst at killing a defending regen scrapper than the above.  But then again I am not sure how much -recharge the Tarantula Mistresses/queens had compared to a chief mentalist.

Cimerorans didn't exist at the time of the test, and keep in mind the point of the test was not to find the hardest hitting boss but to demonstrate the point that a single boss couldn't trivially execute a regen scrapper.  Two melee and one ranged Rikti boss served that point, even if they were not the most dangerous boss you could face.  They were also picked because they did not have unusual secondary effects that could complicate the test, like strong endurance drain, say.

Ignoring resistances, I think the unnamed common faction boss that would deal the most raw damage in melee range at the time would be the council archons.  They are the rare unnamed boss that possess multiple melee (non-AoE) attacks, and that is tough to beat.  Ranged attacks typically dealt only 60% of the damage of melee attacks for the same recharge due to critter damage modifiers.  At range they are not as dangerous and because they are all smash/lethal most melee player characters have ways to resist their attacks, so I think they are not often considered among the most damaging bosses.  But in fact, they pushed the limits of what the devs were supposed to give critters: there was an informal prohibition to not give non-special critters attacks that dealt more than 2.0 scale damage.  The Archons has Eagle's Claw, and their version did 1.96 (for a level 50 boss, that would be about 756 points of damage).

Cimerorans later beat them out I believe, and also because they tended to have a lot of hard-hitting melee attacks.  But I haven't really tried to compare the two: Cims were not just dangerous because of their pure damage, they were dangerous because they possessed a lot of defense debuffs which tended to nullify a lot of the protection melee characters (and others) had gotten used to having (as well as stacking buffs that made them tricky to engage in large numbers).

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3273 on: October 01, 2014, 12:25:40 AM »
Oh man. How did I not know about this website?

And...Cuz I had a few minutes while I was eating breakfast...
In case anybody's curious...This is the computer I'm developing Revival on...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WdB8P6

EDIT: My keyboard is so old it doesn't even show up on the list... :(

Surprised that the 600 series didn't drop more in price. For 100 dollars more you can get a 970 GTX O.o

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3274 on: October 01, 2014, 12:56:07 AM »
You'd need to be seriously careful about shenanigans.  Old equipment can have faults in them, and heck, may even be the reason people are trying to get rid of it is because its about to break, hasn't, but they know it will, so they put it on ebay or craigs list.  At least you get a new hard drive.

Yes, we do. But I made it a point to buy from a company (Green Citizen) who buy lots from failed businesses. The three I got have been perfect.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #3275 on: October 01, 2014, 01:18:12 AM »
Surprised that the 600 series didn't drop more in price. For 100 dollars more you can get a 970 GTX O.o

Yeah, I kind of expected to see it for closer to $100-$150. -shrugs-
It's still a pretty good card, that does it's job well enough that I can't complain.
I've actually got the FTW edition, not the SuperClocked...The FTW wasn't listed however. Too old, or out of stock I guess.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #3276 on: October 01, 2014, 01:23:52 AM »
Could you fill me in on how Rift's character progression worked?  You describe it like the character starts at the top or something(which would mean a sore lack of character development is allowed).

I can't speak in much detail on this.  I'm going mostly on a cursory pass of the game and Miller's article.  The particulars of progression weren't really relevant to my point though; I'm interested in the general notion that a character can be developed to fit into any role at any time.  I find that to be at odds with the development of character identity, and that usually makes a game less enjoyable to me.  It feels to me like a growing trend in MMOs.

It's highly dependent on genre though.  Characters in Eve can learn anything given enough time, but that particular aspect of the game doesn't feel out of place to me.  The thing that makes characters "special" in that game is shared by all of them: they are capsuleers.  Skills represent something that you learn.  In practice, as well, it is effectively impossible to be really good at everything in that game because you can spend years training skills for a particular purpose.  So I don't see character abilities as being tied into identity the same way they would be in CoH.

Lupur

• Minion
« Reply #3277 on: October 01, 2014, 01:32:19 AM »
Hehehe, my main was constantly being re-imagined, but eventually settled on Regen.

I squealed like a little girl when I found out Regen got ported to Brutes :D

Energy Melle // Regen // Energy Mastery

All attacks except Total Focus and Energy Transfer was slotted for Stun.

Everything else was slotted for recharge. 3 end procs + 3 end IOs had me at stupid end/sec so I didn't bother slotting much for that either :P

I had pretty much no defenses, but enough recharge that with Spiritual, my Dull pain was on 12 sec overlap i seem to recall.

This meant that I had days when I would die repeatedly just versus trash mobs ( 2+sec activation ftw!! )

However, I had days where I just seemed Immortal. I even managed to nearly perma-stun Noctis pre-Incarnates 8)

( proceded to get mushed by mobs cause the team was all 'lol you wanted to solo, gl :P )

If I got a say in additions or modifications to the game?

Regen 4 Tankers

That is all.

Edit: spilling
Carpe Diem!                  .
Seize the Carp!   .
                        <><

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3278 on: October 01, 2014, 02:04:42 AM »

Cimerorans later beat them out I believe, and also because they tended to have a lot of hard-hitting melee attacks.  But I haven't really tried to compare the two: Cims were not just dangerous because of their pure damage, they were dangerous because they possessed a lot of defense debuffs which tended to nullify a lot of the protection melee characters (and others) had gotten used to having (as well as stacking buffs that made them tricky to engage in large numbers).

A lot of people were rather intimidated by them, I ran into guys who felt the fortunata was made completely useless in the face of cimerorans.  Not really true, since I regularly beat them without much difficulty, but that was because I always had a huge layering of defensive strategies to work with in front of my fortunata's defense stat.  They're attacks were slow so I'd often cripple them with recharge debuffs.

I think the worst enemies anyone could make in the AE though, were storm summoners.  My mission archs had them planned as being a very regular enemy rather early on, with greater frequency in later missions(along with other, nasty powersets).  Freezing rain was best described as something that buffs couldn't actually counter all that effectively, as the effect was a pseudo-auto-hit(only 1 hit was needed for the debuff from it and your talking 30 attacks/second from the pseudo pet), the slow wasn't easy to escape, if you had no knock resistance you were going to slip/slid, even with knock resistance, your still screwed.  Storm summoning enemies also could be given tornado which meant further -defense, and excruciating levels of damage if you had knock protection applied.  Accidentally made my missions in testing impossible to beat, since so many debuffs were in the air players were instantly rendered useless ragdolls.  Even after having huge buff numbers from everything to.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3279 on: October 01, 2014, 02:19:54 AM »

This is very true. I had to make a conscious decision not to pursue Incarnate powers on all of my 50s, simply because I had so many characters that I wanted to get to 50 that I couldn't see myself then taking the time to max out all their Incarnate tiers as well. (I did have a single character I maxed out Incarnate with, and a few others I dabbled in, but not many.) But ultimately, it was nice to know that Incarnate was there for the eventual day I had 70+ alts at the cap and nothing to do with them. :)