Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748781 times)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #3160 on: September 28, 2014, 04:48:28 AM »
I kind of cheat here.  I'm primarily a software person, not a hardware person.  But I have a friend who builds custom PCs for a living, so whenever I want something new, I just go over it with him and he builds it for me.  The custom gaming PC I'm on now was built by him and it's pretty darn good.  I commissioned it about a year ago to be able to run The Sims 3 in "ultra mode."  I specify the minimum processor, RAM, and hard drives I want, then let him do the rest.

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3161 on: September 28, 2014, 05:35:52 AM »
I'm just going to chime in on the modular PSU, don't go any other route. They're so flippn' awesome. Gone are days of a giant bundle of cord coming off it, half of which you don't even need.

My first PC ever was a Dell that my grandma financed for me (bless her heart). After that though I've built every other one I've owned. Its really easy tbh. Its basically plug and go.
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #3162 on: September 28, 2014, 05:42:59 AM »
I'm just going to chime in on the modular PSU, don't go any other route. They're so flippn' awesome. Gone are days of a giant bundle of cord coming off it, half of which you don't even need.

They're affordable enough, and most of the high quality manufactures have them standard now a days..So there's no real reason not to. I love mine.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #3163 on: September 28, 2014, 06:13:17 AM »
I'll never forget the guy who played a character called "Killer Whale", it was a invul/ss tank and he rp'd it perfectly. I only remember seeing him for the first six months or so of coh, I remember there were lots of rumours of him being banned for erp or something along those lines. I also hazily remember something being said of him confronting the devs on the forum about a major issue with the game that also may have lead to his banning. If anyone remembers or knows what actually happened PLEASE let me know, I'd love to hear about that just to put my misinformed nostalgia at ease.

Also yes Panda people existed, although the cat people definitely won the numbers game. Holy yiff balls were there always a lot of car rp'rs...

Killer Whale ended up leaving the game when in-game ads became a thing (JETER CLUTCH!). He felt it was terrible that you would have to "opt out" of them rather than "opt in".

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #3164 on: September 28, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »

:roll:

Killer Whale ended up leaving the game when in-game ads became a thing (JETER CLUTCH!). He felt it was terrible that you would have to "opt out" of them rather than "opt in".

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #3165 on: September 28, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »

My first PC ever was a Dell that my grandma financed for me (bless her heart). After that though I've built every other one I've owned. Its really easy tbh. Its basically plug and go.

Tried building a PC on my own once, a couple years ago.  Just didn't work out - never could get it to consistently recognize all RAM and was surprised the fan speed was controlled by software vs the motherboard.    Guess you have to have the knack - I don't.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3166 on: September 28, 2014, 02:56:35 PM »
Tried building a PC on my own once, a couple years ago.  Just didn't work out - never could get it to consistently recognize all RAM and was surprised the fan speed was controlled by software vs the motherboard.    Guess you have to have the knack - I don't.

I watched the youtube videos over and over and over and over.. Once I absorbed the process it was a matter of taking my time.. my system has been running solid for a year now.. no hiccups.. unless you count when my three year old decided to download every game he could find with every possible piece of malware attached..

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #3167 on: September 28, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »
I watched the youtube videos over and over and over and over.. Once I absorbed the process it was a matter of taking my time.. my system has been running solid for a year now.. no hiccups.. unless you count when my three year old decided to download every game he could find with every possible piece of malware attached..

Heh
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3168 on: September 28, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »
Well, Microsoft own Skype, and have discontinued it for all unsupported OS's.  Really, that's just the beginning of things you're going to see happening.
Mostly I learned that I can't reformat now.  :(   Skype worked fine last week!   lol...

If you're buying a brand new rig, odds are it will have Windows 8 or 8.1 preinstalled unless you're building your own from scratch.  If it does, I would recommend trying it out for yourself before scratching it down to Windows 7.  When half the population loves it and half hates it, you can't be sure which group you will fall into.  There's no harm in trying it out for yourself first and deciding first hand.  Particularly if you decide you like 8.1 Update 1, which is the version that is closest in UI to Windows 7 (you could also get something like Classic Start to get the start bar back as others have pointed out). 
I'll be building it myself I think.   I am pretty amateur with regard to computers but still managed to build a Pro Tools rig that has worked for several years without a problem.   As Heatstroke outlined, I just read articles about building and got advice from PT users about which parts work together.  Ordered everything and put it together in an afternoon.

Forums like this are the best thing when it comes to that....if you get lost all you really have to do is ask and people will help you.

I did kinda get lucky on the Win 8 thing.   My girlfriend just got it and I got to see it in person.   Admittedly it was difficult to see the screen at times through the fog of curse words emanating from her mouth as she used it though.  She's very expressive.    8)  These days you can instantly put her into a bad mood with the magic word "Windows 8".

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3169 on: September 28, 2014, 06:13:32 PM »
I did kinda get lucky on the Win 8 thing.   My girlfriend just got it and I got to see it in person.   Admittedly it was difficult to see the screen at times through the fog of curse words emanating from her mouth as she used it though.  She's very expressive.    8)  These days you can instantly put her into a bad mood with the magic word "Windows 8".

Tell her to update to 8.1 (It's free and in the Windows Store). Then get that updated to Update 1, and install Classic Shell. You'll get a big hug from her. ;)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #3170 on: September 28, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »
Personally, I'd recommend against pre-built computers. Really, it depends on how skilled you are with hardware, and how much money you have to spend.

Yes, I recommend against that as well... I'd prefer to build stuff myself, but I have to be mobile a lot now, so I prefer to have a laptop. I have had horrible experiences with brands like HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, and Gateway... But, I still have two laptops from ASUS that have years under their belt and they're still running strong.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #3171 on: September 28, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
I appreciate all the great info!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3172 on: September 28, 2014, 10:58:57 PM »
Tell her to update to 8.1 (It's free and in the Windows Store). Then get that updated to Update 1, and install Classic Shell. You'll get a big hug from her. ;)
I will do that!    I'm always in the market for a hug.    ;)   Thanks.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3173 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:50 PM »
Personally, I'd recommend against pre-built computers. Really, it depends on how skilled you are with hardware, and how much money you have to spend.

I've posted here (or similar meandering threads) that a CoX-capable machine can be had for less than $200. You can spend more than this if you want, but you will not play any better because of it. I've built 3 (average cost $175), because when the game comes back, I want me AND my two sons, who also played until the end, to be able to jump right back in.

And as far as "skilled with hardware", your fellow CoX-players can and will help out. Find some tech nerd in your metro area. I've already volunteered my own services to any fellow players in or around Phoenix, AZ. We're a community, pancake it, and that's what we're supposed to do for each other.

FelixMWM

• Underling
« Reply #3174 on: September 29, 2014, 12:25:21 AM »
I will offer my services, both in PC building and deal finding in Denver, CO.
Know thy users, for they are not you.
"Preliminary optimization is the root of all evil." -Knuth
MWM System Analyst
a.k.a. Mr Sigma, Mr. Stochastic, Balancing Act, The Oncoming Storm

Apogee

• Underling
« Reply #3175 on: September 29, 2014, 01:12:42 AM »
I've posted here (or similar meandering threads) that a CoX-capable machine can be had for less than $200. You can spend more than this if you want, but you will not play any better because of it. I've built 3 (average cost $175), because when the game comes back, I want me AND my two sons, who also played until the end, to be able to jump right back in.

And as far as "skilled with hardware", your fellow CoX-players can and will help out. Find some tech nerd in your metro area. I've already volunteered my own services to any fellow players in or around Phoenix, AZ. We're a community, pancake it, and that's what we're supposed to do for each other.

Wow, $175?  Are you salvaging parts and OS from another computer?

Pep Rally

• Boss
« Reply #3176 on: September 29, 2014, 01:22:07 AM »

I'm curious what kind of PC you could build with $200. I'm assuming an APU? Would it be good enough to play newer games as well(like one's that use Unreal Engine 4 for example?). 

The A8-6600k/motherboard combo at microcenter is $103, so that would leave $97 for RAM, a case(w/power supply), and  hard drive?   

I'd probably still want to at least get the newest APU, though. The A10-7850K/ASRock MB combo is $165 at  http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

You'd need the ASRock board so you could use 2133 speed RAM to maximize the integrated GPU of that APU.

I bought the $90 FX-6300/Gigabyte MB combo a year ago for my sister's computer. Great for the price.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #3177 on: September 29, 2014, 01:57:55 AM »
Guys, keep in mind, he said "CoX-capable." Not "Grand Theft Auto V when it gets released next year-capable."

CoX was released 10 years ago. I guarantee you that if you can walk in Wal-Mart and buy a brand new laptop today for $350, you can certainly build a CoX-capable desktop for $200.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #3178 on: September 29, 2014, 04:11:04 AM »
When Coh is getting ready to be released again... I am going to have to figure something out for a new PC. I know the basics of what I want, but have NO skill whatsoever. I almost broke my last PC when I tried to put in a new video card and more RAM lol..so building my own... not a good idea for me :) Hopefully when it comes time for that I will be able to find someone here who can/will build it and ship to me.

Darkojin

• Minion
« Reply #3179 on: September 29, 2014, 05:14:38 AM »
Not sure how effective it would be, but one idea for helping people with all this computer building is to have them set up Skype (or something similar) on their current computer, and walk them through everything through video call. Just in case there is no one they could go to locally.

Also, I also volunteer for helping with computer stuff for anyone in Steamboat Springs, CO area (or online via my suggestion).