Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750341 times)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #3140 on: September 27, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »
Lol okay ya that's true.

Shhhh!  If the wrong person catches wind of that statement........Then rule 34 would apply in the form of Margaret Thatcher with some kinda Rule 34 embodiment.

Actually, some of us on Union used that as a running gag.  My char, being a shapeshifter, could turn herself into Maggie Thatcher, wearing very little... Best not to irritate her, y'know? ;)  Well, not unless you want claw your own eyes out and your brain to shoot its way out through your ear and run for it...

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #3141 on: September 27, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »
Actually, some of us on Union used that as a running gag.  My char, being a shapeshifter, could turn herself into Maggie Thatcher, wearing very little... Best not to irritate her, y'know? ;)  Well, not unless you want claw your own eyes out and your brain to shoot its way out through your ear and run for it...

I still remember the time she showed up as Margaret Thatcher... In full Mistress of Iron leather.

My poor toon needed therapy.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3142 on: September 27, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »
I still remember the time she showed up as Margaret Thatcher... In full Mistress of Iron leather.

My poor toon needed therapy.

And instead, got his sister Sam tromping through his brain! :p

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3143 on: September 27, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »
You do realise XP is completely out of support now, right? No security patches, nothing.  Also, you're going to start coming across lots of apps that just won't run on it anymore.
Oh sure....I was reminded of that a lot when it stopped.   It was almost like alarm bells were going off on my PC!   :D

But everything was going along the same as before until I recently reformated and reinstalled XP.   Now suddenly things stopped working.  I can only assume this is related to XP being non-supported now since I never had those things happen the other times I reformated.  (Like Skype won't work for me now!)

This, coupled with a potential for a new rig due to a possible return of a certain game I used to play, is making me look into it.    It seems Win 7 is the way to go.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #3144 on: September 27, 2014, 08:11:26 PM »
Lets see, his bio would go something like this:
Mr. Oliver Limpit, a mild-mannered accountant for a large health care conglomerant, with the help of really questionable/morally ambiguous science and the love of Trichechidae Trichechus, became O--the Humanatee!

As the lone sentinel of the Florida shore, O dispenses marine justice with a swift swat of his well-trained flipper.
Ever vigilant as he munches the tender sea grasses, shoal grass, manatee grass, turtle grass, widgeon grass, sea clover, and marine algae of his aquatic protectorate.

Nooooo, Du gong! -- Doc  tor  Dugong!

"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3145 on: September 27, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
Oh sure....I was reminded of that a lot when it stopped.   It was almost like alarm bells were going off on my PC!   :D

But everything was going along the same as before until I recently reformated and reinstalled XP.   Now suddenly things stopped working.  I can only assume this is related to XP being non-supported now since I never had those things happen the other times I reformated.  (Like Skype won't work for me now!)

This, coupled with a potential for a new rig due to a possible return of a certain game I used to play, is making me look into it.    It seems Win 7 is the way to go.

Well, Microsoft own Skype, and have discontinued it for all unsupported OS's.  Really, that's just the beginning of things you're going to see happening.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3146 on: September 27, 2014, 09:04:01 PM »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3147 on: September 27, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »

If you're buying a brand new rig, odds are it will have Windows 8 or 8.1 preinstalled unless you're building your own from scratch.  If it does, I would recommend trying it out for yourself before scratching it down to Windows 7.  When half the population loves it and half hates it, you can't be sure which group you will fall into.  There's no harm in trying it out for yourself first and deciding first hand.  Particularly if you decide you like 8.1 Update 1, which is the version that is closest in UI to Windows 7 (you could also get something like Classic Start to get the start bar back as others have pointed out). 

If you're buying an OS directly yourself, then its more important to choose the right one to not waste money, and there I have my recommendations and others have theirs.

Although in any case, I suspect that the Win7/Win8 schism is going to be mostly resolved by Windows 9, which probably most Win7 and Win8 people will be upgrading to over the next year or three.  The trajectory of Windows 8 is such that its very likely Win9 will be much more of a metro-sprinkled Windows 7 with a better Windows 8 core and enhanced integrated features, which is probably what Windows 8 should have been in the first place.  So you'll be reexamining your desktop choice again pretty soon anyway.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3148 on: September 27, 2014, 11:36:11 PM »
Actually, Dell and Toshiba are still selling Win7 computers.  We just bought 3x Dell PCs with Win7-64 Pro on them.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #3149 on: September 28, 2014, 12:07:21 AM »
Actually, Dell and Toshiba are still selling Win7 computers.  We just bought 3x Dell PCs with Win7-64 Pro on them.

Any suggestions? I'm gunna need something when we get the game back.  ???
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3150 on: September 28, 2014, 01:46:21 AM »

build it yourself..

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #3151 on: September 28, 2014, 02:00:14 AM »

Personally, I'd recommend against pre-built computers. Really, it depends on how skilled you are with hardware, and how much money you have to spend.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

amrobinson

• Lord Spittle
  • Lieutenant
  • Thermal Bloom
« Reply #3152 on: September 28, 2014, 03:07:56 AM »
Only when context is ignored:  Take the word "terrible:"

Good reasons for making an alt: I discovered I liked something better ("this playstyle fits me better"); I want to make something that will be situationally better sometimes ("I have more fun in PvP" and "My raid needs X").

Bad reason: I have no choice ("I want to see how this top-tier talent works"); I think my choice is wrong ("everyone is playing, so I might as well too"); the game isn't appealing to me anymore ("I'm bored.")

In this paragraph Matt unambiguously provides context to the entire article.  FROM A GAME DESIGNER'S PERSPECTIVE there are good reasons for your players making a lot of alts, and bad ones.  The good ones are: the players genuinely enjoy the variety.  The bad ones are: the players feel compelled to do so because the game limits them in some way that forces the creation of alts.

Not remotely coincidentally, these arguments are exactly the same arguments the players themselves constantly presented to the devs as the basis for making game design decisions.  If this article was written by a player, asking the devs to focus on the "good" reasons why he made alts and not on the "bad" reasons why he made alts, I don't think anyone would have been parsing his words and accusing him of secretly hating alts altogether.  They wouldn't be saying that anyone who uses those words must be hiding a dislike for alts that is leaking through to his semantic choices. 

The article ends on this note:

You don't need a ouija board to guess at the implications of some of the single words Matt uses, when his whole sentences convey the idea unambiguously.

Before Incarnates came out, alts were the game. At least for me.

For everyone else, even if you only ran one character at a time, once you hit 50 you started another.
If you played for years, you ran through a fair number of alts.

Personally, I loved to come up with new character ideas, and match costumes, backgrounds and powersets to them. I didn't actually run all of them, but most.

And when a new powerset came along that I liked, I had to make a new character to try it out.

I also found out that characters I fleshed out and ran casually, I tended to go back to again and again. The few I ran in a min/max mode (running with the same few people and consistently aimed for max xp in minimum time) I never touched again once they hit 50th.

They never really grew in my imagination as real characters.

Sadly, this ends my reign as Lord Minion.

The Powers That Be (jealous of my fame, no doubt), have conspired to strip me of my exalted title, and reduce me to the rank of mere Lieutenant.

In the future, I will settle for my other title.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:19:06 AM by amrobinson »
"I'm sorry, did you want to be set on fire as well?" - Dark Malice, 50+ Fire/Dark Corruptor
- Freedom, Champion servers

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3153 on: September 28, 2014, 03:20:00 AM »
Personally, I'd recommend against pre-built computers. Really, it depends on how skilled you are with hardware, and how much money you have to spend.

I had limited skill when I built this PC.. you will need money however..

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3154 on: September 28, 2014, 03:25:23 AM »

build it yourself..

Fair enough.

I have enough savvy to put it together, but not enough to know what goes with what off the top of my head.

I guess I'm asking where I might look to get an understanding of which components are compatible with each other.
Just a nudge in the right direction, plz. Tyvm.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

Pep Rally

• Boss
« Reply #3155 on: September 28, 2014, 03:37:54 AM »
This is a good start.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Depending on how much you want to spend, this is a good guide broken up into price ranges:

cpu:   http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

gpu:  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Check google to see cheapest prices. Usually newegg is best for everything(look for rebates) except maybe Microcenter for their CPU/Motherboard combo deals.

If you are gonna go cheap, I'd probably get the  AMD FX-6300 cpu(overclockable), then the most expensive AMD video card you can afford in the R7/R9-series.

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #3156 on: September 28, 2014, 03:38:24 AM »

Building it yourself is still the better option, no doubt, but prebuilts have closed the gap quite a bit...

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #3157 on: September 28, 2014, 03:44:01 AM »
Screw MTV. I want my CoH!
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3158 on: September 28, 2014, 04:14:10 AM »

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3159 on: September 28, 2014, 04:21:45 AM »
Thanks HEATSTROKE, Pep Rally this is exactly what I needed.  :D