Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1749768 times)

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #2060 on: September 12, 2014, 05:32:27 AM »
Hey, I'd like to think that was a *GREAT* try! :D
I've never pretended to be any sort of programmer. At all. I'm SO not.
So...It might be less surprising when I say that I have NO idea what quaternions are, or what bit packing is. :\

My inner MST3k demon wants me to say that bit packing is a slang term for when two robots "interface," if you know what I mean.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #2061 on: September 12, 2014, 05:37:48 AM »
Just one more level of immersion, Remaugen!

Yes!

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2062 on: September 12, 2014, 05:47:31 AM »
My inner MST3k demon wants me to say that bit packing is a slang term for when two robots "interface," if you know what I mean.

Oh dear...
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2063 on: September 12, 2014, 06:18:47 AM »
Yes, may Funcoland/Gamestop one day go the way of Blockbuster Video....

I see your Blockbuster and raise you a Circuit City

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2064 on: September 12, 2014, 06:50:45 AM »
Yes, the new zone is an exotic, overt horror show of eldritch abominations openly walking the streets, but what you can't see is always scarier.  The old DA had that feeling in spades.  Even disregarding the Banished Pantheon zombies wandering everywhere, you could never shake the feeling that some unknown horror was lurking around the corner, or just ahead of you, concealed by the fog...
Very well said.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2065 on: September 12, 2014, 07:58:55 AM »
Galaxy City is remade as a theme park celebrating the life, times, and exploits of the man,. the myth, the legend, Dillo.

Hoorb.

Now that's who we need to get for recording voiceovers. Dillo.

Ooh, and Flambeaux. I can just imagine the glorious wackiness that would ensue with that pair narrating everything ;D

Mooties

• Underling
« Reply #2066 on: September 12, 2014, 08:19:32 AM »
Now that's who we need to get for recording voiceovers. Dillo.

Ooh, and Flambeaux. I can just imagine the glorious wackiness that would ensue with that pair narrating everything ;D
I bet War Witch and Ghost Widow, or maybe even just a Carny, would make for interesting narrating.
It would be interesting to see some things narrated from their point of view!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2067 on: September 12, 2014, 09:08:44 AM »
Quaternions make my ears bleed.  They're a means of measuring rotation that uses four elements.  The advantage is you can avoid gimble lock you can get in euler rotation (X,Y,Z).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrUCBOlJdt4

I've done some scripting in LSL for SecondLife and their rotation system is in quaternions.  When I have to deal with rotations I just do it in euler and convert it when I'm done.  Ugly, but I can usually get the result I want.

I read a tutorial on quaternions once.  I was almost comprehending it and suddenly someone hit the warp drive and I was left in the dust.  At the end of the tutorial was a note saying unless you've taken a course in higher math you have no shot at understanding this.  I wish they had put that note at the front!

Not that I have the smarts/knowledge/desire to take this on.  Just saying I know what that Q word means and it makes my brain hurt.

There are two "intuitive" perspectives on quaternions: a "computational" one that, if you're a math geek, will highlight how the quaternion computations are synonymous with algebraic transformational math, and a "geometric" one that will highlight what quaternion computations actually do.  The former presumes significant knowledge in higher math, particularly linear algebra (i.e. matrix math).  The latter doesn't require that.  In fact, there's actually a kid-friendly way to explain quaternions, which I'll get to in three paragraphs.

What quaternions "do" is take the following perspective on rotational transformations.  Imagine an object with a head and a tail and imagine rotating that object about all three axis but in such a way that the tail of the object is still at the origin.  Even though you applied three different rotations (about x, y, and z) in fact the combination of those three rotations could be summarized by looking at where the head of the object ended up.  Imagine drawing a line from the origin - where the tail is - to the head.  That vector represents one part of the net rotation, describing the final direction the object is pointing.  If you then rotate the object around that vector, like holding the tail and the head in each hand and then spinning the object, you can get to whatever orientation the object is in.  In other words, one vector (direction) and one additional number (rotation) can describe any net amount of rotation.  That's basically what quaternion representation does**. 

To add two rotations, in geometric terms what you're doing is thinking about those rotations as "point, then spin."  Do that twice, once for each rotation, and you end up with the net total rotation.  The math to combine two quaternions is multiplication, not addition, but that's the basic principle.

One interesting thing about quaternions is that if you think about the perspective they encapsulate - point, and spin - there is only one unambiguous way to represent any set of 3D rotations.  With Euler rotations about x, y, and z, there are generally multiple ways to specify the orientation of an object, because there are multiple ways to rotate an object about all three axis in a way that ends up in a certain orientation.  And the reason it doesn't suffer the gimbal lock problem is obviously because this perspective only dictates two "rotations," an orientation direction and then rotation about that direction.  Neither one alters gimbal axis.

And now the kid-friendly version.  Basically, a quaternion is: point in any direction with your open hand, and then bank your fingers left or right.  All rotations can be described by math that basically does that: point and bank.  Multiplying quaternions works to add rotations because of the fact that "coincidentally" (not a coincidence, but you can think of it as such if you're not a math major) the math to multiply complex numbers just happens to be identical in formulas to the trig formulas to convert rotations into complex numbers.  And quaternion math works better than Euler rotations for the simple reason that Euler rotations don't offer a unique way to represent a rotation in space.  Quaternions do (there's only one way to point in a direction and then bank your fingers: no other point and bank ends up in the same orientation).  That makes the math more efficient, eliminates gimbal lock, and solves lots of other problems involving rotational interpolation (what does it mean to go "halfway" from zero to a final rotation is easy: swing your arm half-way to the final pointing direction, and bank your fingers half-way, and you're done: every kid knows how to do this when they pretend their hand is an airplane and they fly it around the kitchen).

Anyway, that's how I remember quaternion math.  Although I learned it via linear algebra, and had to come up with the flying-hand version myself a couple years later.

** Technically, quaternion representation uses a unit vector (whose length is one unit) and an additional number that is the length of the vector, to represent the rotation about the axis.  So you can think of it as a pointing direction and a rotation about that axis, or you can also think of it as a four-dimensional vector whose magnitude is equal to the magnitude of rotation.  The former is a little easier to visualize than the latter, although the latter is better to think about when you get down to the whats and whys of quaternion arithmetic - the mathy part.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2068 on: September 12, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »
Alright, I'm digging through the Issue 24 change log.
There certainly were quite a number of changes... But, So far...Everything looks good.
So. I *think* I'm going to go ahead and say it...

Revival will feature Issue 24.

"Let's get dangerous..."

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2069 on: September 12, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
Stuff. Also, Things.

Ah, Yes. Arcana and Codewalker... the only two people on this forum who can frequently make my head hurt.
Scary smart.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #2070 on: September 12, 2014, 10:13:11 AM »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2072 on: September 12, 2014, 10:23:54 AM »
Ah, Yes. Arcana and Codewalker... the only two people on this forum who can frequently make my head hurt.

So... the matrix math one would probably be overkill then.

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2073 on: September 12, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »

See your CC and raise you a Crazy Eddie.  His prices are INSANE!!!

http://youtu.be/F8_-vG4sdJs

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2074 on: September 12, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »
See your CC and raise you a Crazy Eddie.  His prices are INSANE!!!

http://youtu.be/F8_-vG4sdJs
I bought a lot of my first NES games from them.  I distinctly remember buying Metroid, DK and DK Jr. from them, and they usually had a NES and SMS set up to play games on.  (It's where I played the SMS version of Ghostbusters)

Um... this relates, really.  Because it was video games, and City of Heroes is a video game.  And I like City of Heroes.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2075 on: September 12, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »

Also CompUsa and Computer City
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #2076 on: September 12, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »
Alright, I'm digging through the Issue 24 change log.
There certainly were quite a number of changes... But, So far...Everything looks good.
So. I *think* I'm going to go ahead and say it...

Revival will feature Issue 24.

Makes sense.

i24 looks to be a real improvement right across the board.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2077 on: September 12, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the cityofheroes.com "Sunset pag

There are already FB speculations about it.

Might this be a positive sign for the ongoing Hail Mary negotiations, or just a webpage corruption for cityofheroes.com?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #2078 on: September 12, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »
Makes sense.
i24 looks to be a real improvement right across the board.

I just didn't want to agree to jumping on board something I didn't know the details on.
It will be easiest to just incorporate most of these changes from the get go, instead of having to make them with the next issue. So, that's what I'm going to do.
"Let's get dangerous..."

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #2079 on: September 12, 2014, 12:45:44 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the cityofheroes.com "Sunset pag

There are already FB speculations about it.

Might this be a positive sign for the ongoing Hail Mary negotiations, or just a webpage corruption for cityofheroes.com?

I can't get there from here (firewall/dns blocker in effect), and your comment looks to be only partial there.

But if you mean that something has happened to the sunset page over at coh.com, I'd expect that's either
purely coincidence or else maybe NCSoft is cleaning up their old stuff.

It would be HIGHLY unlikely that they would put out any kind of "teaser" actions in regards to open negotiations,
and certainly not in such an obscure manner.