Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1750546 times)

Crazywulf

• Underling
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #1940 on: September 11, 2014, 02:11:02 AM »
Best news all year, Mjr. D will be there when the doors open. :)

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1941 on: September 11, 2014, 02:18:25 AM »
As someone with horrid ping times, the Team Transporter made it so much more tolerable for me on task forces, as I could almost keep up with other people.

Pay2Win or not, I did not regret that purchase.

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #1942 on: September 11, 2014, 02:25:41 AM »
I remember a couple of smallish groups on Guardian who took advantage of the font that character names
were shown in to use lower L's, upper I's, and 1's to make multiple toons with the same displayed "name"

Always a hoot to see them running together, same names, same costumes, etc.

Parallel Illusion, I do believe. And I also think that the | character could be used as well.

Surelle

« Reply #1943 on: September 11, 2014, 02:37:56 AM »
Parallel Illusion, I do believe. And I also think that the | character could be used as well.

My daughter, my parents and I all made identical quadruplet gravity controllers that way:  Emerald Image they were called.  It was a fun idea, and when people would circle us, freaking out, only one of us would ever speak and say,

"I think you've had one too many drinks at Pocket D!"   ;D  But after a while, three of them got deleted (I kept mine though, and leveled her on various teams to 36 I think).  It was just too bloody confusing.

"Did you just throw down that immob or did I?"  Lol.  It's more disorienting than you think when all four have the same powers and are fighting the same groups of mobs.

gec72

• Underling
« Reply #1944 on: September 11, 2014, 02:46:35 AM »
Green Lantern called. He wants his idea back! You stole it!  :P

I had a SG (started with friends, eventually became a 1-person group) called the Laser Corps, which was based not on the idea that they were all one color, but that they were all variations of the same basic uniform in DIFFERENT colors: Orange Laser, Magenta Laser, Cyan Laser, etc.

Of course then Geoff Johns had to come along with his darned rainbow idea. :|

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #1945 on: September 11, 2014, 03:11:19 AM »
As someone with horrid ping times, the Team Transporter made it so much more tolerable for me on task forces, as I could almost keep up with other people.

Same.... Such a great item. I certainly appreciated its value.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #1946 on: September 11, 2014, 03:24:04 AM »
My daughter, my parents and I all made identical quadruplet gravity controllers that way:  Emerald Image they were called.  It was a fun idea, and when people would circle us, freaking out, only one of us would ever speak and say,

"I think you've had one too many drinks at Pocket D!"   ;D  But after a while, three of them got deleted (I kept mine though, and leveled her on various teams to 36 I think).  It was just too bloody confusing.

"Did you just throw down that immob or did I?"  Lol.  It's more disorienting than you think when all four have the same powers and are fighting the same groups of mobs.

That's maximum awsome! I love it!

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1947 on: September 11, 2014, 03:29:25 AM »

And I contest that things like the Team Transporter are actually "Pay to Win."  My litmus test was "Can what this power does be done without it, even if doing it without the power is slower and/or less efficient?"  And the Team Transporter passes this test.  It's completely possible to run/fly to missions without it, it's just faster to use the Team Transporter to do the same thing.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1948 on: September 11, 2014, 03:38:17 AM »
I was documenting those arcs on a copy of my main hero turned villain. While I had all of the villain-side badges, I had not acquired all of the villain-side souvenirs. So it's possible there could have been a discrepancy based on that.

No worries, and I'm sorry if I sounded like I was criticizing your efforts. Sent you a PM with the info that I was referring to that I noticed was missing.

I appreciate all the hard work you and everyone does at Paragonwiki, particularly in preserving City of Heroes above and beyond any actual playable game's existence.  ;D

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #1949 on: September 11, 2014, 04:03:59 AM »

I do have a question for you, though, Irish_Girl: Are you having to build the power mechanics from scratch, or is there a system for that built into the engine? (I probably could watch a few hours of tutorial videos, but I'm not there, yet.)

Actually, Irish Girl, Downix... Nate made reference to APR getting an instance of the CoT code to build CoH1.5 -- could you folks elaborate on what you're thinking about that? 

As I understood it, CoT was not going to be a direct copy of the power sets, AT's and gameplay of CoH, so what would be involved in modding the CoT game to be CoH 1.5  -- how close are you thinking you could come considering the differences? And would that actually be less work than creating the entire game mechanic from scratch?

Before the reveal, IronWolf made several references to the ability to "easily" port the game to Unreal, which, I seem to recall, caused Codewalker spasms that did shake the foundations of the world -- I know APR is porting the images of the buildings and the textures of the maps, but isn't that kind-of an art project compared to actually building a working model even of Atlas Park?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

amrobinson

• Lord Spittle
  • Lieutenant
  • Thermal Bloom
« Reply #1950 on: September 11, 2014, 04:08:14 AM »
Senticon: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9637.0

It requires a lot of fiddly stuff I don't/don't want to understand.

I don't have a Sentinel.jar file, but I do have a SentinelPlus.exe file.

Where can I download a copy of Sentinel.jar again?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:16:43 AM by amrobinson »
"I'm sorry, did you want to be set on fire as well?" - Dark Malice, 50+ Fire/Dark Corruptor
- Freedom, Champion servers

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1951 on: September 11, 2014, 04:08:18 AM »
And I contest that things like the Team Transporter are actually "Pay to Win."  My litmus test was "Can what this power does be done without it, even if doing it without the power is slower and/or less efficient?"  And the Team Transporter passes this test.  It's completely possible to run/fly to missions without it, it's just faster to use the Team Transporter to do the same thing.

I don't think there is any question that a team on which everyone dropped the $10 to get the team transporter can complete the Dr. Q TF significantly faster than a team without it.

That's less time spent waiting around for people to arrive, much faster merit-to-time ratio, much better average XP/inf/drops per minute, and in general having more fun and being able to do other fun things sooner.

That satisfies just about every definition of "winning" I can think of in COH.  It's not intended as a moral judgment, but given its 15 minute recharge compared to the 2 hour recharge of personal mission teleport power, I think a solid case can be made that the transporter was firmly in the "pay to win" category.

(and believe me, I used the hell out of that team transporter)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1952 on: September 11, 2014, 04:11:25 AM »
We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.  If they were selling super-nukes that let me one-shot Hami, then that's Pay To Win.  Purely cosmetic items, or "convenience powers" fall outside of that, in least in my view.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1953 on: September 11, 2014, 04:21:46 AM »

Hi! I'm Darryl. and this is my brother Darryl.
On Liberty my sister ran an SG "The Power Of One"

Every member had a variation of "One" or "1" in their name.

Was always fun running down the street to see "Noone saved us!" "Someone is awesome" and "Anyone will save me!"
I knew it!   Give this community an opportunity and just stand back and watch them go to work!  :D

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1954 on: September 11, 2014, 04:22:09 AM »
Green Lantern called. He wants his idea back! You stole it!  :P
Awww!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #1955 on: September 11, 2014, 04:22:55 AM »
My litmus test for pay to win mostly used "Does it make it faster and/or easier to defeat enemies and/or complete missions than what can be readily acquired in game?" For me at least i did not count travel time to missions as part of completion speed, so Team Transporter was not p2w in my opinion. Some of the items in the packs pretty much failed the test despite how much i personally enjoyed them.

I don't think there is any question that a team on which everyone dropped the $10 to get the team transporter can complete the Dr. Q TF significantly faster than a team without it.

That's less time spent waiting around for people to arrive, much faster merit-to-time ratio, much better average XP/inf/drops per minute, and in general having more fun and being able to do other fun things sooner.

That satisfies just about every definition of "winning" I can think of in COH.  It's not intended as a moral judgment, but given its 15 minute recharge compared to the 2 hour recharge of personal mission teleport power, I think a solid case can be made that the transporter was firmly in the "pay to win" category.

(and believe me, I used the hell out of that team transporter)
Well it was faster, but i'm not sure it was much faster compared to the difference between a team of fully IOd characters used by experienced players who knew the game and maps well and a minimum level team new to the Shadow shard. Even before Team Transporter was available we could get some really fast Dr. Q runs by using things like Ouro Portals, knowledge of the Shadow Shard's mechanics and map connections to minimize travel between missions, teleport relays, people leaving the mission early to set up teleport relays, etcetera.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:38:22 AM by Nyx Nought Nothing »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1956 on: September 11, 2014, 04:24:36 AM »
Glorious chaos, I'm sure.  :)

On a similar note, a friend of mine with an Illusion Controller spent some time working up a cleverly-crafted costume that looked like the phantoms in Phantom Army.  He would throw them out and then "hide in the crowd," so to speak.  Rather surprised me the first time I saw it - I said "Where'd you get a 4th phantom?  And where are you?"
Nice...I did the same thing.   One of the costumes of my avatar actually.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1957 on: September 11, 2014, 04:30:02 AM »
Interesting that I just stumbled across this documentary called "I Know that Voice" (2013).   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2113683/  It's about voice actors.  Some really well known people are in it.  (The Sponge Bob guy, Simpson's voices, Animaniacs, South Park, and many more...including Mark Hamill)

They eventually get into talking about voice acting for games...so that might be worth checking out for anyone who wants to see the work that goes into it.   They really have a lot of things to record.    It starts about an hour into it.   It's streaming on Netflix.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:55:00 AM by Harpospoke »

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1958 on: September 11, 2014, 04:31:14 AM »
I knew it!   Give this community an opportunity and just stand back and watch them go to work!  :D

I had a stalker called "justablaster". I would yell "Dont mind me, Im just a blaster"

amrobinson

• Lord Spittle
  • Lieutenant
  • Thermal Bloom
« Reply #1959 on: September 11, 2014, 04:33:20 AM »
I don't know anything about actually making a game, so that's why I'm wondering about it. Wouldn't it be easier to just build all the content in with new tech from the start? Older missions were created before things like phasing and choices within missions were offered, and have a certain mindset underlying their structure (go here, kill X amount, kill X boss, for example). Plus, contacts that change could actually be built in somehow - if you read the Lore AMAs, they talk about why it was going to be hard for Scirocco to switch sides - all the stuff he was involved in, the missions, everything would have to be changed. Why not build some sort of mission / contact designing thing that allows for more fluid changes to the game from the get go?

I have to say that some of what motivates this is my editing of the Wiki. Because of the way the Wiki formatting is set up, it can't deal all that easily with things like the Statesman and Psyche's deaths in their individual articles. And the pseudo-static nature of MMOs has some similar type of issues. So I think building from the start for a dynamic world, and missions that use cool options, is better than just porting over old school "kill all" style missions.

I would suggest something similar to STO - global handles. There's a certain amount of uniqueness needed in a superhero game, to be sure, but I think it's better to make more people happy.

As far as the Lore AMA stuff, I think it would be worth really getting a more in-depth description of the nature of powers / reality. Even if the storyline (Coming Storm, Battalion, etc.) doesn't happen, there's already TONS of stuff in game built on these sort of grand ideas about the nature of the universe.

Most of the stuff built on it is Incarnate stuff, which I never liked, but it's still there.

That's game mechanics, which is going to be different anyways, probably. I think that the storyline stuff is good to include - the Praetorian arcs do need some resolution. Mechanics, power sets, things like that: take them if they're good, but leave 'em if not. Power sets should be added as much as possible - even if they weren't finished, we can see the design intent behind them, and build from there.

I would bet serious money that somewhere out there, there is a person with saved text from all of the story arcs.
"I'm sorry, did you want to be set on fire as well?" - Dark Malice, 50+ Fire/Dark Corruptor
- Freedom, Champion servers