Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1748127 times)

ooglymoogly

• Underling
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #1160 on: September 05, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
quick sort of off-topic question for the MWM folk/Downix - will potentially pertain to Irish_Girl with APR as well, I suppose.

are you still raising money for CoT?

i know the kickstarter wrapped last year (2014 seems to be chugging along, doesn't it) but are you still raising capital outside of that effort? i ask because there are a number of people who clearly support your enterprise and I'm sure could spare the money to periodically contribute. Plus, the excitement pertaining to the current efforts of resurrecting CoH has brought some additional awareness to the fore, not to mention Marvel/comic books having taken over the entertainment sphere during past few years.

You guys don't have the pedigree or initial funding base to do what Chris Roberts has done with Star Citizen ( link here for those unaware of it: http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/4/5960489/star-citizen ) but there seems no reason you couldn't emulate his 'template', albeit to a smaller degree.

just a thought.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1161 on: September 05, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »
This'll be unpopular, but IMO, the only time you should have been allowed to teleport to a mission, was if it were a timed mission.
a once per day tp wasnt bad...we tended to save those for reeally bad ones

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #1162 on: September 05, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Those AMA's are WONDERFUL fountains of information and insight. I've gone over all fo them with a fine toothed comb.
Expect that these may not remain canon though to Revival however. I'm not saying for sure that they won't, but don't be surprised.

I'm still working on the sorted version of the AMA (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted). So I've read through them numerous times, and they are great. Yes, Positron did reserve the right to change everything in the event that CoH comes back; fortunately, there's enough left open in the lore that the "Coming Storm" can still be anything - hints were dropped in game, sure, but nothing was absolutely certain.

quick sort of off-topic question for the MWM folk/Downix - will potentially pertain to Irish_Girl with APR as well, I suppose.

are you still raising money for CoT?

i know the kickstarter wrapped last year (2014 seems to be chugging along, doesn't it) but are you still raising capital outside of that effort? i ask because there are a number of people who clearly support your enterprise and I'm sure could spare the money to periodically contribute. Plus, the excitement pertaining to the current efforts of resurrecting CoH has brought some additional awareness to the fore, not to mention Marvel/comic books having taken over the entertainment sphere during past few years.

There's a thread about that here: http://cityoftitans.com/forum/please-put-another-kickstarter-your-webpage-star-citizen

They are selling shirts. Or were? I don't know.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #1163 on: September 05, 2014, 03:53:20 PM »
To play Devil's Advocate, that is one thing that I think they went a bit overboard on, in particular with i23 and the warp holes (whatever they were called) that pretty much made all other forms of zone-to-zone travel completely redundant.

I get the intent- to make things more player (particularly new player) friendly, but I think keeping some degree of relative inaccessibility made the game more immersive.

I agree with this. Traveling the city, going from place to place.. You felt part of the world.

Between Pocket D, Ouroboros, Bases teleporters, Mission teleport... You never needed to walk anywhere by the end.

I enjoyed it, and knew plenty of other people who did.

Honestly, I've never understood this "I didn't like it, so we should take it out of the game" mentality... Can you imagine where CoH would have been if all the devs took that stance? (see quote in my signature below)... More options means more people will be able to make it their own personalized experience--much like having so many costume options in the costume creator. One of the beautiful things about really good developers is their intelligence in creating features for games that even they themselves may not use within their own playstyle.

There were people who liked to farm in CoH, and that's all they did. And they ENJOYED it! And then there were the people who constantly decried the "evilness" of farming. Same thing for AE. Why can't people just enjoy the game for what it was and what it offered without trying to impose their own sense of "how a game should be played?"

I mean, that IS what Jack Emmert was hated so much for....right?

I'm sorry, but "take away this nice feature because I don't like it and I think everyone should do things the hard way" is not a good excuse to take something out of a game. I'm not saying that's what you guys were suggesting, but that's inevitably where that conversation leads. Change things that are game-breaking, but don't change things that are "quality of life enhancements." There were MULTIPLE uses for having a "teleport across zones feature--one of which was for those of use who liked to break our own records for task force speed runs for the hell of it... I know that's not something everyone did, but...you don't see me saying "I think a requirement for unlocking villain side content is you have to do X Task Force in XX amount of time," do you?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:58:28 PM by AlienOne »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #1164 on: September 05, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »

So when I try to go to the irc address LI provided... I get a page that says:

Well hello there, welcome to SuPeRMiNoR2's site.
There is nothing much here, so you might as well just go away.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1165 on: September 05, 2014, 03:58:59 PM »

There were people who liked to farm in CoH, and that's all they did. And they ENJOYED it! And then there were the people who constantly decried the "evilness" of farming.

Guilty of this, for some reason farming was really relaxing and the purple drops and inf/prestige was just an added benefit. I dunno, just mowing through mobs while listening to The Eagles, NWA, Journey, 2 Pac, Mozart, Offsprings, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, etc was very relaxing.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1166 on: September 05, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »
So when I try to go to the irc address LI provided... I get a page that says:

Well hello there, welcome to SuPeRMiNoR2's site.
There is nothing much here, so you might as well just go away.

Did you go to it with a web browser?  It's an IRC server... You need an IRC client like mIRC...

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #1167 on: September 05, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »
Guilty of this, for some reason farming was really relaxing and the purple drops and inf/prestige was just an added benefit. I dunno, just mowing through mobs while listening to The Eagles, NWA, Journey, 2 Pac, Mozart, Offsprings, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, etc was very relaxing.

I have to admit that although I wasn't much of a farmer (I mainly organized TFs and did build experiments and personal challenges), there was certainly something to just forcing my brain to take a break from organizing/thinking and just repeating a favorite map over and over to some relaxing music....
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Jumping Spider

• Underling
« Reply #1168 on: September 05, 2014, 04:08:09 PM »
This was not the news I was hoping for.

I absolutely despise the way some Asian companies do business.  They will buy properties from and interests in western companies.  Too much 'saving face' all the damn time is annoying.  Selling the cancelled property and having someone revive it and be successful with it would cause them to lose face:  they would be seen as incompetent or short-sighted.  In Asian companies, you are not allowed to criticize your superiors, or even offer advice.

Shenzhen Kexiang Mould Tool Co blames Astin Martin for their recent problems, even though they were supplying AM with plastic components that were counterfiet DuPont plastics.  It wasn't the sub-contractor's fault, or that they were selling these counterfiets, it was AM's fault for discovering it and doing something about it.

I'm sure someone in the cockpit of Asiana Airlines Flight 214 saw they were too low too soon, but wouldn't say anything.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1169 on: September 05, 2014, 04:12:31 PM »

Such as all the SHARD TF's......especially Dr Q's.....
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1170 on: September 05, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »

Honestly, I've never understood this "I didn't like it, so we should take it out of the game" mentality... Can you imagine where CoH would have been if all the devs took that stance? (see quote in my signature below)... More options means more people will be able to make it their own personalized experience--much like having so many costume options in the costume creator. One of the beautiful things about really good developers is their intelligence in creating features for games that even they themselves may not use within their own playstyle.

There were people who liked to farm in CoH, and that's all they did. And they ENJOYED it! And then there were the people who constantly decried the "evilness" of farming. Same thing for AE. Why can't people just enjoy the game for what it was and what it offered without trying to impose their own sense of "how a game should be played?"

I mean, that IS what Jack Emmert was hated so much for....right?

I'm sorry, but "take away this nice feature because I don't like it and I think everyone should do things the hard way" is not a good excuse to take something out of a game. I'm not saying that's what you guys were suggesting, but that's inevitably where that conversation leads. Change things that are game-breaking, but don't change things that are "quality of life enhancements." There were MULTIPLE uses for having a "teleport across zones feature--one of which was for those of use who liked to break our own records for task force speed runs for the hell of it... I know that's not something everyone did, but...you don't see me saying "I think a requirement for unlocking villain side content is you have to do X Task Force in XX amount of time," do you?

Yeah that was jack's philosophy.

As to all the portals they setup to warp you to other zones, I can see such portals in Praetoria as it is a different universe with some different laws. 

However for Primal Earth, all they needed to do was adjust the Ouroborus exit portal so that on blueside it was linked to all zones and same for red side.  I always thought it odd that the exit portal from Ouroborus was so limited as you are leaving temporal limbo to return to the timestream as it were.

Mission TP I had no problem with as the SHARD TF's needed it.

Also if your base had all the teleporters that was good too.

A QOL adjustment I would like to see is this: the power to teleport to your base and to Pocket D I think could use an upgrade.  They were created back at the time when they didn't want us to have a quick escape power, then came Ouroborus portals....    Anyway, instead of an interruptible energy build up with long recharge, change them both to be like the Ouroborus portal, a portal appears and you warp to either your base or Pocket D.
In fearful COH-less days

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #1171 on: September 05, 2014, 04:29:27 PM »
Yeah that was jack's philosophy.

As to all the portals they setup to warp you to other zones, I can see such portals in Praetoria as it is a different universe with some different laws. 

However for Primal Earth, all they needed to do was adjust the Ouroborus exit portal so that on blueside it was linked to all zones and same for red side.  I always thought it odd that the exit portal from Ouroborus was so limited as you are leaving temporal limbo to return to the timestream as it were.

Mission TP I had no problem with as the SHARD TF's needed it.

Also if your base had all the teleporters that was good too.

A QOL adjustment I would like to see is this: the power to teleport to your base and to Pocket D I think could use an upgrade.  They were created back at the time when they didn't want us to have a quick escape power, then came Ouroborus portals....    Anyway, instead of an interruptible energy build up with long recharge, change them both to be like the Ouroborus portal, a portal appears and you warp to either your base or Pocket D.

That would be a great QoL improvement without doing away with various features completely. I think I could only use the mission teleporter once a task force, so it wasn't something that would be considered "overpowered." However, the ability to skip crossing HUGE zones during a TF (especially for people who did mainly TFs on a regular basis) was a definitive QoL improvement. It'd be a step back to take that option away just because some people prefer to walk the zone every time...

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1172 on: September 05, 2014, 04:58:52 PM »
That would be a great QoL improvement without doing away with various features completely. I think I could only use the mission teleporter once a task force, so it wasn't something that would be considered "overpowered." However, the ability to skip crossing HUGE zones during a TF (especially for people who did mainly TFs on a regular basis) was a definitive QoL improvement. It'd be a step back to take that option away just because some people prefer to walk the zone every time...

I agree, Mission TP must be retained if the game returns.  For those that dont have travel powers, or patience at times, or for the SHARD TF's.

also if super speed could gain vertical movement and possibly even to run on air as the Flash has been at times known to do....
In fearful COH-less days

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #1173 on: September 05, 2014, 05:01:40 PM »
I agree, Mission TP must be retained if the game returns.  For those that dont have travel powers, or patience at times, or for the SHARD TF's.

also if super speed could gain vertical movement and possibly even to run on air as the Flash has been at times known to do....

Technically, this was possible as well... I had a few fun builds where I combined Super Jump and Super Speed... Even Combat Jumping coupled with Super Speed really made zone traversing extremely fun..."am I going to make it over that wallllllllll.....YESSSS!"

I swear, during some of my TF speed runs, I had a zone mapped out and jumps timed in such a way that it was reminiscent of the speed runners in Super Mario who had every move timed just right... Fun times! I want my game back! :D

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #1174 on: September 05, 2014, 05:08:51 PM »
This is my hobby in life, to crack as many people up as possible!

True that, the FFM's Cracked Commando Unit T-Shirt I have proves it!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1175 on: September 05, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »

But.. Nobody RAN the Shard TF's!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #1176 on: September 05, 2014, 05:17:23 PM »
True that, the FFM's Cracked Commando Unit T-Shirt I have proves it!

OMG! I'd forgotten about those!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1177 on: September 05, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »
But.. Nobody RAN the Shard TF's!

Lol.

The shard TF's for me were "one and done", their repeat value wasn't much to me. Granted they had some nice reward merit payout but still....
In fearful COH-less days

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »
Technically, this was possible as well... I had a few fun builds where I combined Super Jump and Super Speed... Even Combat Jumping coupled with Super Speed really made zone traversing extremely fun..."am I going to make it over that wallllllllll.....YESSSS!"

I swear, during some of my TF speed runs, I had a zone mapped out and jumps timed in such a way that it was reminiscent of the speed runners in Super Mario who had every move timed just right... Fun times! I want my game back! :D

ah yes I remember having that for a time on an alt.  Fun times :)
In fearful COH-less days

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1179 on: September 05, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »

If a speedster can propel himself forward that fast with that much force, there's no reason why he can't use that force to propel himself upward higher than normal, and at least have a Ninja-Run-type leap.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.