Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1737558 times)

Shard

• Lieutenant
    • City of Titans
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #740 on: September 03, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »
I'd have to re-read the UE4 license agreement... But yes, I believe it's $19 per person. You don't have to pay monthly, I don't. You only need to pay initially, and when you need updates from Epic.

PLEASE, PLEASE bear in mind, the updates are hot and heavy at this time and sometimes don't quite play well with others.

If you're going to take this strategy, pick a release and keep all the new folks on it until you move everyone forward.  We're having a  time of it and we'vre a little more used to the release rates. :)
Missing Worlds Media - Lead Pain in the .. well everything.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #741 on: September 03, 2014, 06:07:22 PM »
Sounds like a winner. If we get it now we can start in learning the system anyways. It will take quite a while to get familiar with it and I may start taking a look at the whole Icon thing and seeing if it can be ported over - with of course the permission of Codewalker. I will send him a PM.

Number9

• Minion
« Reply #742 on: September 03, 2014, 06:27:43 PM »
Anyone else notice that the press coverage seems to be focused on the "spiritual successor" side of the deal with next to no mention of CoH i23 getting back online?

Anyway, all these articles are getting enthusiastic comments.  I hope someone over in Korea realizes that doing this deal could greatly help their PR image.
Formerly of Virtue server: Number 9, StormBird, Magic8Ball, Fyv, and many others I care not to mention in the desperate hopes I get to recreate them and use their names once again.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #743 on: September 03, 2014, 06:36:14 PM »
Anyone else notice that the press coverage seems to be focused on the "spiritual successor" side of the deal with next to no mention of CoH i23 getting back online?

Anyway, all these articles are getting enthusiastic comments.  I hope someone over in Korea realizes that doing this deal could greatly help their PR image.

To be fair at this point there is really nothing decided. The fact they are making an article based on a possibility alone is heartening.

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #744 on: September 03, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »

Thanks to the efforts of many folks in the community, a great deal of the data that drives the game is known and documented (e.g. how much damage does a level-1 energy bolt do?  How much damage is added by one damage enhancement, etc.).  Because so much of this is known, re-implementing those numbers into a new engine is actually one of the smaller tasks ahead of the developers.

That's great! Thank goodness CoH offered us all of the numbers. :) And there's still City of Data. http://tomax.cohtitan.com/data/

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #745 on: September 03, 2014, 06:43:06 PM »
guys can you please wait on bringing back CoH until I finish grad school

I know it's gonna be like a year and a half but it would really be super-helpful and great if I didn't have to choose between my first MMO love and my professional future

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #746 on: September 03, 2014, 06:44:02 PM »
Well, I'm sure I'm one of many spamming offers to help but I'm a web UI dev/polyglot/generalist with about 7 years of experience and this UE4 web technology UI plugin interests me a lot:

http://coherent-labs.com/ue4/

I plan on learning my way around it this weekend just as a point of interest but I'd be delighted by any opportunity to help bring back COH in one form or another. I've been meaning to pick up some C/C++ skills for a while now for the Node binding utility and UE4 looks like a fun way to do it. R/L name is Erik Reppen. Feel free to look me up on Stack/Linked In.

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #747 on: September 03, 2014, 06:47:06 PM »

I know it's gonna be like a year and a half but it would really be super-helpful and great if I didn't have to choose between my first MMO love and my professional future

Sorry bud...it's several thousand to 1.

Pherdnut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #748 on: September 03, 2014, 06:53:14 PM »
Question I keep forgetting to ask:

What's informing their reluctance to release source code for a code base that's been around this long? Is there a liability issue or something?

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #749 on: September 03, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »

Focus on your future bro. When the deal is done (I didn't say if, I said when. Not sure if that is over confidence of me in my happy place) this game will be waiting for you to be enjoyed :p

Taliseian

• Minion
« Reply #750 on: September 03, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »
Content Creation Question -

I'm no artist - can barely draw a straight line.  But I've been delving more into fiction writing over the past few years and plan to participate in NaNoWriMo this year with a CoH based short story about one of my Heroes.

If I wanted to get involved in the writing/storyline/questing part, what would be a good way to get started?  Should I start delving into UE4 stuff as well?

Thanks in advance...

T

powergridpete

• Underling
« Reply #751 on: September 03, 2014, 07:02:58 PM »
My excitement is tempered with the new development, but I am completely stoked for I23 CoH server.  Maybe it is because the I23 CoH server is the most likely to be online first. 

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #752 on: September 03, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »
Question I keep forgetting to ask:

What's informing their reluctance to release source code for a code base that's been around this long? Is there a liability issue or something?

There is a possibility that this source or part may be in other Cryptic engines and may have backdoors to the system. NCSoft would have to explain any other reason and they aren't doing so yet.

General Sherman

• Minion
  • Drop Maggot!
« Reply #753 on: September 03, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »
There is a possibility that this source or part may be in other Cryptic engines and may have backdoors to the system. NCSoft would have to explain any other reason and they aren't doing so yet.

And nobody wants someone entering their backdoor uninvited :o
We shall see what we shall see, when there is actually something to see.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #754 on: September 03, 2014, 07:19:06 PM »
Content Creation Question -

I'm no artist - can barely draw a straight line.  But I've been delving more into fiction writing over the past few years and plan to participate in NaNoWriMo this year with a CoH based short story about one of my Heroes.

If I wanted to get involved in the writing/storyline/questing part, what would be a good way to get started?  Should I start delving into UE4 stuff as well?

Thanks in advance...

T

Not speaking for Irish Girl

But I think new content creation is a long ways off. First you need to get the existing content ported for Hero side, then red side and gold side. That is a lot of work to do before you start on new content.

Just my suspicion but APR is going to use CoT's engine (which isn't finished yet) and will need to be modded and tinkered with to make it like CoH. That can't start until MWM is done with most of it. In the meantime, recreating the City, Rouge Isles and Pretoria in UE4 is a pretty big task in itself.

At some point though APR will have to recreate the missions and such and that will sorta be content creation but mostly copy and paste work or maybe just a lot of typing. Hopefully I23 will be running and some of it can come from there and certainly side-by-side comparisons can be done to insure that it is as close as possible.

But from her posts I think that it will be a week or two before she can start in earnest because of her move.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #755 on: September 03, 2014, 07:32:29 PM »
And nobody wants someone entering their backdoor uninvited :o

"Donut, you can ruin anything!"

;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

General Sherman

• Minion
  • Drop Maggot!
« Reply #756 on: September 03, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »
"Donut, you can ruin anything!"

;)

Sorry, momentary lapse of sanity.

But nice RvB reference ;D
We shall see what we shall see, when there is actually something to see.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #757 on: September 03, 2014, 08:07:17 PM »
Sorry, momentary lapse of sanity.

But nice RvB reference ;D

Thought that to, didn't comment LOL.  I was to busy laughing.  Shame they killed him off :(.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #758 on: September 03, 2014, 08:08:32 PM »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Wammo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #759 on: September 03, 2014, 08:33:56 PM »
Just a thought that came to my mind...

I wonder what the real population will be upon relaunch. I know this is again speculation but have any of you taken a moment to consider how many or few of us there are who want to play again? I think this really should be taken into account when considering how many servers to launch.