Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1741407 times)

Number9

• Minion
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #640 on: September 03, 2014, 03:33:55 AM »
Completely off topic, but ... does anyone know if the hosts of the CoH Podcast are still around?  Chooch and Viv.  That was a great podcast ... here's hoping it returns with CoH redux.
Formerly of Virtue server: Number 9, StormBird, Magic8Ball, Fyv, and many others I care not to mention in the desperate hopes I get to recreate them and use their names once again.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #641 on: September 03, 2014, 03:36:29 AM »
I'm not directly involved in the talks with NCSoft, but from what I understand the source is completely off the table, and many of the tools required simply don't exist anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the source code wasn't gone.

Eiko-chan

• Minion
« Reply #642 on: September 03, 2014, 03:37:58 AM »
I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but given the way the world seems to react to me, I'm just going to say I'm not really convinced this thing is going to happen.  Prove me wrong, world!

Anyway, I've got one little question for Irish_Girl: are there any plans to expand APR to the Rogue Isles, or is it a Hero-only project?  Villains were made homeless too!  :'(

ParagonKid

• Underling
« Reply #643 on: September 03, 2014, 04:22:32 AM »
I'm curious though, apologies if this was asked already, but what of costume codes and booster packs? If the game comes back, will you even be able to generate and sell/give out codes? Otherwise, wouldn't stuff like Justice and Sinister costume sets, Pocket D Tiki VIP, Arachnos Helmets and the like be gone forever?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #644 on: September 03, 2014, 04:28:51 AM »
I'm curious though, apologies if this was asked already, but what of costume codes and booster packs? If the game comes back, will you even be able to generate and sell/give out codes? Otherwise, wouldn't stuff like Justice and Sinister costume sets, Pocket D Tiki VIP, Arachnos Helmets and the like be gone forever?
Other than "people are talking to NCsoft", there is literally no more information out there yet.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #645 on: September 03, 2014, 04:36:25 AM »
Sittin on about three at the moment on this end, I know that exact feeling. I used CoH very similarly.

Glad we all still have eachother here, even if it isn't the same... for now :)

So this is where the unemployment line is. I've done the dance for about 3, then got a temp gig and now looking again.

We'll make it.

Good news is I do have a couple masters degrees now. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #646 on: September 03, 2014, 04:39:45 AM »

The hour is late and the sun set quite a few hours ago and I find myself still in awe and daring to hope that coh may in fact be resurrected..just wow...
  Not sure if we could ever get our original chars. back however, if the game itself could be restored to us I would certainly be happy and ready to re-sub immediately. I can't sleep tonight, no way.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #647 on: September 03, 2014, 04:48:39 AM »
Not just for Khelds - his guide to tanking were why I became a good tank! Without them I dunno where I'd be!

I've been wishing I could find some modern (i23 compliant, not just for the relaunch but because PBs changed a LOT) PB buildcraft theory to read over just as something to pass the time, but I haven't had much luck in searching.

I'd forgotten his name because I read all of his guides thoroughly after the tank guide helped me learn so much, but it was awhile ago. Couldn't remember his handle. Even if I can't do anything with the info, reading this sort of thing is really fun for me... so thanks for the links! :D

Dechs' guides were great and his warshade guide helped me tune up my three warshades.  He did ask me once to review his PB guide as I recall since he knew I enjoyed PB's.

Should the game return I'll have to see about locating and updating my guide to speeding up Stone Brutes/Tanks.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

impiousimp

• Lieutenant
« Reply #648 on: September 03, 2014, 04:52:39 AM »
Where does one volunteer to help APR or COT?

I don't have MAD art skills, but I have decent ones. 

http://kuraichan.deviantart.com
http://impiousimp.deviantart.com

PsychicKitty

• Underling
« Reply #649 on: September 03, 2014, 05:10:12 AM »
so basically its another we have to wait till next year for more information.....

uh huh

hopelives

• Minion
« Reply #650 on: September 03, 2014, 05:15:30 AM »
so basically its another we have to wait till next year for more information.....

uh huh

I don't think that is what is being said.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #651 on: September 03, 2014, 05:21:47 AM »
I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but given the way the world seems to react to me, I'm just going to say I'm not really convinced this thing is going to happen.  Prove me wrong, world!

Anyway, I've got one little question for Irish_Girl: are there any plans to expand APR to the Rogue Isles, or is it a Hero-only project?  Villains were made homeless too!  :'(

I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to ask me about redside. Um... It's planned? That's, unfortunately, all the detail I really have on it ATM.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #652 on: September 03, 2014, 05:22:04 AM »

uh huh

It's more "even if everything goes off without a hitch from here on out, it is an unreasonable assumption to imagine CoH back up and running before next year"

There will likely be news - but even if the deal happens there's financing, there's servers, there's getting everything working...

Unfortunately, this isn't as easy as "We can do it, you don't get anything out of saying no, you agree? Cool, flip the switches and we're back in Paragon City."
Woo! - Argent Girl

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #653 on: September 03, 2014, 05:27:35 AM »
Unfortunately, this isn't as easy as "We can do it, you don't get anything out of saying no, you agree? Cool, flip the switches and we're back in Paragon City."

That would be lovely. There's a lot of work that would need to be done after the acquisition, however.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

amrobinson

• Lord Spittle
  • Lieutenant
  • Thermal Bloom
« Reply #654 on: September 03, 2014, 05:28:06 AM »
Let me come right out and admit that the apparent loss of the i24 perfection patch has hit me harder than expected. So let me ask, is there a way to get i24? I would move a lot of mountains to get i24 back. Is it a money thing? I am so in mourning for it I would donate quite a bit to get us that issue - perhaps other people would too.

Do we have to give up on i24 CoX now, or is there a way?

I was literally salivating at the prospect of i24 and the goodies within...significant blasters enhancements (my signature character is an elec/en blaster), a new concept of power pools, which instead of filling in holes in a character could actually be used to flavor the character's power suite (gadgets, sorcery, etc), and so on.

Given a choice between regaining my horde of prior characters and i24, I'd go for the latter in a heartbeat.

brought to you by
"I'm sorry, did you want to be set on fire as well?" - Dark Malice, 50+ Fire/Dark Corruptor
- Freedom, Champion servers

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #655 on: September 03, 2014, 05:56:31 AM »
Let me come right out and admit that the apparent loss of the i24 perfection patch has hit me harder than expected. So let me ask, is there a way to get i24? I would move a lot of mountains to get i24 back. Is it a money thing? I am so in mourning for it I would donate quite a bit to get us that issue - perhaps other people would too.

Do we have to give up on i24 CoX now, or is there a way?

Well ish 24 wasn't complete as far as the IO changes and probably some other areas as well, then of course there would have to be some testing to iron out any major kinks and flaws.

I would very much love to see ish 24 should the game return, but ish 23 will be fine.  The main thing is that the game would be back.

I'd say get ish 23 up and running, then convert to Unreal 4 engine and THEN start adding in issue 24 elements into the new engine.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #656 on: September 03, 2014, 06:02:00 AM »
I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to ask me about redside. Um... It's planned? That's, unfortunately, all the detail I really have on it ATM.

Just as a small suggestion, and I'm 100% you have your own plan for progressing, but were -I- doing APR, I'd focus on just getting Atlas Park functioning, getting the game mechanics in place, doing just ONE powerset and AT initially and getting small selection of missions going.  That gives you enough to have something for people to beta test and should reduce the immediate workload.

One you have the basics going, the rest will follow much more quickly.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #657 on: September 03, 2014, 06:04:04 AM »
It's more "even if everything goes off without a hitch from here on out, it is an unreasonable assumption to imagine CoH back up and running before next year"

To my mind, the most important bit of news after the "Yes", is just WHO will run this holding company and "own" the CoH IP?  It's going to have to be someone we all really trust to do the right thing with it.

I know who I'd have in mind... (Looks towards the forum banner)

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #658 on: September 03, 2014, 06:14:00 AM »

Gold Side! Gold Side!

All Hail Emperor Cole!

(But seriously, I'm sure you've got a lot on your plate, and even more to come, and we don't have anything close to a sure win yet, so I wouldn't want to pile it one even further.

That said, Praetoria is my personal favorite part of CoX, and I'd be more than happy to lend whatever meager help I could to getting that side of things up and running, should it ever come to pass.)

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #659 on: September 03, 2014, 06:26:10 AM »
Someone had asked about why Atlas Park Revival would be using the City of Titans Build.

I am not a programmer.  Let me state this right up front.  My brother is the game programmer in the family.  So this is my understanding.  So the game has two main parts.  You have the game engine.  In this case Unreal Engine 4.  Both City of Titans and Atlas Park Revival are using the same game engine.  So you have compatibility there.  Unreal Engine basically renders the environment, the characters, the mobs, the powers via particle effect animations etc..,

However the engine still needs instructions on what to display, when to display it, where to display it, etc...
This is where the build comes in to play.  By using a modified version of the COT build it gives APR a leg up on the code end of the game without having to right their own code.  They will most likely need to tweak, modify, adapt such code to better suit the look and feel of the game.  Even with the MMO support built in you still need to tell the engine what to do.  This is my layman understanding of the process.  I am sure others with more programming expertise will feel free to correct/criticize any errors in my post.   :P

Keeping in mind that we do not have the COH source code....this means no new content...no new powersets, no new anything....this is why I23 will be maintenance mode only.  By using the COT build you get the ability to alter the code, add new code and adjust as needed.  This means new content, new story arcs, new power sets, new zones, etc.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:39:53 AM by Stealth Dart »
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!